The Future - Thinking Out Loud

Search this Thread

Old 6/21/06, 05:07 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Lightbulb The Future - Thinking Out Loud

just wondering out loud...
... and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this one out....

but Ford can't make it the end all right away...

With the 6.2 Hurricane coming (which I have no doubts we'll see in the D2C platform)
the ability to throw in an IRS,
toss some weight (especially if the hurricane will be N/A and Allum.)
That theres always room for improvement within the next couple of years.

Pardon the expression, but ... it seems that Ford gave us a an increase,
its better than the last car,

but didn't want to blow their load all at once... especially when there is no other competition around to even play with..which is why so many people compare it to the next thing out there...the Z06

If the other cars were out (Camaro/Challenger) would we even be comparing the Z06 to the GT500. probably not...they'd be too busy
with their true rivals.

I guess the other point is...what if they DID blow it all right now,
there'd really be no point in moving up. There WILL be a point where too much money and/or power will be hitting that wall...
Colleti knew about that, and stated that with the next Cobra (became GT500...) and Lightning (that got canned)

The lightning or something like it will be back, we KNOW theres always going to be a top mustang... I think those got postponned... I think those will be the next versions.
We know we have the power there...thats a given.

We do know that ford is in a tight spot financially, so they are playing their cards to allow for new products that sell, but also make smart business and financial decisions.
Whether that means make the budget GT500 now (if we can even call it that) and extend the lifecycle by one year etc....

It will be interesting to see what is in store, and I have no doubt that great things are coming, but you have to heat the oven before you throw the turkey in ...know what I'm sayin'
Old 6/21/06, 05:27 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It will be interesting to see what happens to the Mustang brand when 2 competitors hit the market. The Mustang won't be the only big dog in town anymore and will need to improve. I'd love to see an IRS rear and 6 speed manual in 09'. If the rumors are true, both Dodge and Chevy will have them on their competitive vehicles.
Old 6/21/06, 05:43 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford's going to need to do something about power too. Both the Hemi and the LS2 will own us in the N/A department. The Gt500 is in a bit of a different class.
Old 6/21/06, 06:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

I agree Pete. I think they are holding out on us. They have to improve to keep interest. I think we will see IRS and lighter weight in the future.
Old 6/21/06, 06:38 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Ford has one choice left with the Mustang. The Boss is the one that's missing and it would wave to be worthy of the 429s. The one setback is Saleen beat Ford to it.

The one thing for sure is I see no imminent announcement since that would take the air out of the GT500 and give quite a few of us an alternative which many would gladly settle for.
Old 6/22/06, 04:18 AM
Closet American

Yeah, you can be sure this is all timing + economics. We know that they don't want to dilute sales from the GT500 by introducing an SE too quickly, so instead, they give us the <cough> California Special (sorry, almost gagged there).

But by '09/'10 you can be sure that there will be significant styling and performance upgrades to compete with Dodge and Chevy. '09 is coming up quick, so I would expect perhaps one true SE model to slot between the GT and GT500 to tide us over for the '08 MY, after initial Shelby sales slow a little.

Ford should also have had plenty of time to study the SN-197 chassis in "real world" testing from '05 to '09, and doubtless what they learn will be factored into the next car.

Will we get IRS for the next iteration? Only if Dodge and Chevy offer it. Otherwise, I don't see much impetus for Ford to utilize it. The '05 was the perfect time to offer it, and STILL they chose to go the old school route. Competition will doubtless change all that.

But a new Stang with hips? Now THAT'S sexy!
Old 6/22/06, 10:34 AM
I Have No Life

Hopefully it'll look stellar... an evolution of what we have now...
The way its suppose to be.

I might as well wait on a restyle than a special edition....
Old 6/22/06, 05:41 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
but if you stay with the mentality of..."I'll hold out becuase they have to improve to keep intrest"...you'll never buy! If you always hold off your purchase because you think that there will always be an improvement, you become a spectator and just watch the improvements pass you by...
I for one, think that there might be a point where it starts getting worse...Like everything, things go well for a while, then they tank...(stock market, golf scores, life, etc.)...I'm not trying to be a downer here, but its happened in the mustang world before...(you can't tell me that the II was an improvement...at least in the context we are using improvement here) On the other hand, I understand your point....you dont want to make a big purchase on what you hoped would be the best, and then have something better come out...
I look at it like computers...there comes a point where you have to buy a new one becuase the one you have is soooo out dated...but in the back of your mind, you KNOW there will be one WAY better in about 2 years... I think you just have to make a decision on what you want, and dont buy untill its offered...if it ever is...
Old 6/23/06, 08:17 AM
I Have No Life

Computers don't cost 30,000 dollars though.
It's easier to blow 1500 on a new computer or 200 on a new chip...

I wish I could just go out and spend 1000 on my car and upgrade the engine to the lastest and greatest.

I'm not waiting on the next big thing, but I'm planning ahead for what is next. I have an 05. ... do I want to buy a SE or wait till another redesign.
Its not like I have a lease and I have to turn my car in, but spending this kind of cash, of COURSE people are going to wait.

But yes there comes a point where if you wait TOO long, you'll miss the boat and opportunity to have something special.