FORDS Shelby Customer Handling Letter!

Search this Thread

Old 7/4/06, 08:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BC_Shelby
They may not be building Mustangs, but they're sure building other Ford automobiles, and those kinds of comments suggest a systemic problem across the company that Ford needs to address if it is to survive...otherwise we won't have a Mustang in the future.
Constantly living under the threat of plant closure and job loss does not a happy worker make.

This is a complex problem that is going to take years to solve. There have been some elements of change, but there is tremendous competitive pressure that won't let up. Guaranteed there are people who are going to be unhappy enough to post things like that for awhile. I take these comments with a grain of salt.

First and foremost, Ford needs more cars or cross-over vehicles for the North American market that people crave on style first, in my opinion.
Old 7/4/06, 02:51 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
Constantly living under the threat of plant closure and job loss does not a happy worker make.

This is a complex problem that is going to take years to solve.
I may be wrong, but I don't think Ford HAS years to solve this.
Old 7/4/06, 04:30 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
No they don't especially with the Asian market closing in on the truck end and what not, sorry I'm miffed hard to get a Shelby but hey heres a nice new Shelby GT500 you may see our adds and such but you can't have one PERIOD.
Old 7/4/06, 07:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I may be wrong, but I don't think Ford HAS years to solve this.
I don't think they do either, but in my opinion, that is the reality of large coporations. Attitude changes, to the deteriment of a company, can take a long time.

Products, if funds, styling, and all the myriad decisions that get them to market flow together, will make the impact.

Having come from an automotive worker household (father, grandfather both GM assembly workers), I will guarantee you this attitude can be found in SOME people at SOME plants. Knowing some Ford people who are in engineering and manufacturing on the Mustang, I can tell you the attitude is one of pride and passion.

Ford in North America needs the products. I continue to wish them the best.

Kevin, thanks for posting the letter. As you note, it does indicate the focus should be on the customer, especially since many early purchasers are going to have dropped A LOT of money.
Old 7/4/06, 07:38 PM
Closet American

Ford needs to bring some of their Euro products over here, too. Instead of making excuses for why they can't, they should find a way to make it happen.

We are WAY, WAY past "can't," at this stage.
Old 7/4/06, 08:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

As said above, Ford needs to change their policy on handling dealers. BMW and Honda pretty much tell their dealers how to behave. Ford needs to realize that the dealers are the public face of the company. People upset with the dealer are upset with Ford. If they are treated poorly, they go to another brand. This car is their chance to bring some interest back to the company. If they handle it correctly, people that have not bought a Ford in a long time will be happy to drop 45 large on a car that will be very special to them. That specialness (is there such a term?) will lead to more sales. Their next truck or crossover may well be a Ford if the buying experience and owning experience exceed expectations. I am a Ford man already. My recent experiences have gotten me looking elsewhere.

I sure hope they emphasize customer service and soon.
Old 7/4/06, 09:21 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Originally Posted by crazyhorse
... Ford needs to realize that the dealers are the public face of the company...
True but Ford has realized the dealers are the ones that have faced their past, present, and future short comings and embarassments.

People upset with the dealer are upset with Ford. If they are treated poorly, they go to another brand...
Not necessarily true and we are the living prove and more important, Ford knows it.

This car is their chance to bring some interest back to the company. If they handle it correctly, people that have not bought a Ford in a long time will be happy to drop 45 large on a car that will be very special to them. That specialness (is there such a term?) will lead to more sales...
Agree, for those who do not own Fords. The exception is we are like the Chevy guys. We stick with Ford because we like their products, we are part of a tradition and by gosh, they are American.

... I am a Ford man already. My recent experiences have gotten me looking elsewhere.

That's sad, but I see your points. I've always been able to get what I want although not withstanding a set time table or a particular dealer. May I suggest you take two patience pills and call me in six months?
Old 7/4/06, 09:45 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Ford needs to bring some of their Euro products over here, too. Instead of making excuses for why they can't, they should find a way to make it happen.

We are WAY, WAY past "can't," at this stage.
Past Euro Fords haven't faired so well in the past. BUT that doesn't mean they wouldn't now or in the short future. It's going to be interesting to see how the "Global" RWD Aussie platform will shake out here in the States, as it should be going into production in late '08. The B-car is also going to be an important decision. By the time the Euro Focus gets over here it may be behind the competition, and brand name may too be lost. It will also be interesting to see how this GM/Nissan/Renault situation plays out towards the end of the decade.
Old 7/5/06, 08:19 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT
True but Ford has realized the dealers are the ones that have faced their past, present, and future short comings and embarassments.

Not necessarily true and we are the living prove and more important, Ford knows it.

Agree, for those who do not own Fords. The exception is we are like the Chevy guys. We stick with Ford because we like their products, we are part of a tradition and by gosh, they are American.

That's sad, but I see your points. I've always been able to get what I want although not withstanding a set time table or a particular dealer. May I suggest you take two patience pills and call me in six months?
I have already taken my patience pills, they just taste a little bitter.
Old 7/5/06, 06:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99% of all company's have unhappy employees. Some more unhappy than others. Ford has over 100,000 people employed. The grumblings of a handful of people doesn't mean Ford is making bad cars. I am a Ford employee. I see unhappy employees make quality parts ever day. You can be unhappy and still have pride in what you do. In fact that pride is what makes most unhappy, they get frustrated because they want the best for the company and the product.
The job insecurity is hard to deal with but we all know these high paying jobs are hard to find, so we have to do everything to keep the company alive. Ford is taking care of employees who are out of a job. We are very fortunate for that. I don't see many company's doing that. I have never heard of a Jap company doing that for their employee's. Yes moving would suck but at least I still have a benefits.
Ford is not going under, they have areas that make money and they are focusing on areas that don't. They have billions in physical assets that the media seems to forget.
Old 7/6/06, 12:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

As said above, Ford needs to change their policy on handling dealers. BMW and Honda pretty much tell their dealers how to behave. Ford needs to realize that the dealers are the public face of the company. People upset with the dealer are upset with Ford. If they are treated poorly, they go to another brand. This car is their chance to bring some interest back to the company. If they handle it correctly, people that have not bought a Ford in a long time will be happy to drop 45 large on a car that will be very special to them. That specialness (is there such a term?) will lead to more sales. Their next truck or crossover may well be a Ford if the buying experience and owning experience exceed expectations. I am a Ford man already. My recent experiences have gotten me looking elsewhere.

When Nissan introduced the 350Z they demanded dealers sell it for no more than sticker. In fact if you faced a dealer that demanded more, there was a corporate complaint form that you could fill out and they would help you find a dealer that would sell it to you at sticker. This proved nissan's dedication to the customer and we all know how well nissan is doing now.
While I agree that the GT500 should have a bit of exclusiveness, the car is not worth 50-60K.
Old 7/6/06, 01:04 PM
Cobra Member

I started another thread about a friend of mine buying a Corvette because she wanted info on the Shelby but was treated poorly by the dealer.

I would imagine, with the exception of a die-hard Ford person, that anyone treated badly by a company enough will not go back to that company.

I think the attitude that people will accept that treatment and stay with Ford is not only dangerous, but I'm sure pretty exclusive.

I would think most people will absolutely NOT accept it. And if Ford is only concerned, or not concerned it seems, with those people who will stay with Ford no matter what I think their market share will only continue to shrink. And life for those of us still with Ford will only get worse.... until we leave too that is.

Like jarradasay wrote about Nissan requiring their dealers to not sell the 350z at outrageous markups. They require them to represent the company the way Nissan wants to be represented.

Perhaps Ford doesn't care... at least that's the way it seems. And to some die-hard Ford people they don't either, but that group, I'm sure, isn't nearly large enough to keep Ford afloat.
Old 7/6/06, 02:26 PM
Bullitt Member

I started another thread about a friend of mine buying a Corvette because she wanted info on the Shelby but was treated poorly by the dealer.

I would imagine, with the exception of a die-hard Ford person, that anyone treated badly by a company enough will not go back to that company.

I think the attitude that people will accept that treatment and stay with Ford is not only dangerous, but I'm sure pretty exclusive.

I would think most people will absolutely NOT accept it. And if Ford is only concerned, or not concerned it seems, with those people who will stay with Ford no matter what I think their market share will only continue to shrink. And life for those of us still with Ford will only get worse.... until we leave too that is.

Like jarradasay wrote about Nissan requiring their dealers to not sell the 350z at outrageous markups. They require them to represent the company the way Nissan wants to be represented.

Perhaps Ford doesn't care... at least that's the way it seems. And to some die-hard Ford people they don't either, but that group, I'm sure, isn't nearly large enough to keep Ford afloat.
I agree, the dealers are Fords front line to the public. If they fail to treat people right, they will just go else where. Truthfully, I have been treated poorly enough times that if I wasn't a Ford worker, I probably would never go back. These are the best vehicles Ford has ever made but it really doesn't matter if the Dealers don't step up and change.
Old 7/6/06, 07:58 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by Sharp
I agree, the dealers are Fords front line to the public. If they fail to treat people right, they will just go else where. Truthfully, I have been treated poorly enough times that if I wasn't a Ford worker, I probably would never go back. These are the best vehicles Ford has ever made but it really doesn't matter if the Dealers don't step up and change.
Amen. Sometimes it makes me wonder.
Old 7/6/06, 10:34 PM
The Analog Admin!

Received 3,193 Likes on 2,340 Posts
I have toured Ford Engine and Car Assembly Plants. It is Interesting! Thats my Story and I am Sticking to it!

kc
Old 7/6/06, 11:33 PM
Closet American

Ford is taking care of employees who are out of a job. We are very fortunate for that.
I just wish they would start taking care of their customers. Without customers, you can't have employees...because you have no business.

I don't see many company's doing that. I have never heard of a Jap company doing that for their employee's.
I don't see workers from Toyota plants in the US complaining about "not being taken care of," either. Japanese companies are reknowned for taking care of their employees without the need for unions. Unions have simply grown into social welfare organizations no longer interested in performance based compensation, but rather, entitlement.

Ford is not going under, they have areas that make money and they are focusing on areas that don't. They have billions in physical assets that the media seems to forget.
Essential physical assets are of no value if they compromise productivity. What the company needs are billions of LIQUID assets, which they don't have anymore.

Nobody wants to see Ford succeed more than me. I am sick of the Japanese invasion and want to see us SET the standards again. But sometimes - in order to do that - you have to be tough and take an unvarnished look at why things aren't working, as opposed to just making excuses (and making a few promotional videos), "hoping" things are going to get better, when in reality it's just "business as usual."
Old 7/7/06, 12:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ford losses another one.

Here is a snip-it from the Wall Street Journal. Just where you want negative advertising for a 40-60K car, in the middle of the friday edition of the most popular upscale newspaper in the country. Way to go guys you are succeeding at failing. Love the car, hate the crap. Go dealers go!

Attachment 4322
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
WSJ GT500.pdf (380.6 KB, 425 views)
Old 7/7/06, 01:25 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by jarradasay
Here is a snip-it from the Wall Street Journal. Just where you want negative advertising for a 40-60K car, in the middle of the friday edition of the most popular upscale newspaper in the country. Way to go guys you are succeeding at failing. Love the car, hate the crap. Go dealers go!

Attachment 4322
A very fair review, actually...though nothing we don't already know. In fact, the ONLY thing the reviewer liked about the car was the acceleration and the relatively light clutch action. Everything else left him "meh."

The Shelby is a straightline performer, and everytime HTT tries to tell us otherwise, it makes me feel like Ford is still very much in denial about the relevance of its products. "M3 competitor" my ****!

The general performance buying public will not be so quick to embrace this car after all the lackluster reviews...not to mention the price gouging by dealerships that are out of control. Once fans have gotten theirs, I expect sales will begin to tank...particulary with the new record price of oil per barrel, which is sure to lead to another excuse for a severe increase at the pump.
Old 7/7/06, 07:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

The general performance buying public will not be so quick to embrace this car after all the lackluster reviews...not to mention the price gouging by dealerships that are out of control. Once fans have gotten theirs, I expect sales will begin to tank...particulary with the new record price of oil per barrel, which is sure to lead to another excuse for a severe increase at the pump.
....and here's to hoping it happens sooner rather than later.

Old 7/7/06, 07:33 PM
Closet American

....and here's to hoping it happens sooner rather than later.

Yessiree.

I also think, however, that the Shelby is going to have its **** handed to it by a lot of cars which are due to hit the market over the next two to three years. A hi-po Camaro variant with their LS7 is one possibility. DCX "claims" the forthcoming Challenger will hit 60 in 4.5 seconds (although with 4200 lbs of weight and 425 horsepower, I'm not sure how they're arriving at that conclusion). The new V8 powered M3 will probably kill us...the Nissan GT-R ("Skyline") will almost surely wipe the pavement with the GT500...Nissan also is planning a hi-po version of the 350Z...then there's the upcoming Toyota Supra with its V8...and don't forget the stock C6 Corvette can already wipe our butts!

Now, I'm talking stock vs. stock here - none of this modification crap. All those cars can be modded, too.

There's me with the gas can in one hand and the matches in the other again.

Anyone pissed yet?