First Mods for my GT500 From Brenspeed...

Search this Thread

Old 4/23/08, 10:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Mods for my GT500 From Brenspeed...

Finally My First Mods...

I decided to pull the trigger and get a JLT CAI and Tune from Brenspeed. Placed my order on Monday and should arrive Thrusday. Can't wait for it to get here to install...Just in time, heding to the California Speedway Street legal drags on Saturday.

I'm thinking of changing the stock thermostat to a colder one. Just not sure which one would be better, either the 160 or the 180. Would it even be worth changing?

Any thoughts anyone?
Please help!
Old 4/24/08, 06:01 AM

Congrats. you will like the increase in HP that the new tune will provide. I have the same set up but I have a tune from Evolution Performance plus I went the next step and installed the 2.6 pulley with the colder running plugs. One of the best bang for the buck was the gear change to 373's. Enjoy

Ken
Old 4/24/08, 11:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by snakebite500
Congrats. you will like the increase in HP that the new tune will provide. I have the same set up but I have a tune from Evolution Performance plus I went the next step and installed the 2.6 pulley with the colder running plugs. One of the best bang for the buck was the gear change to 373's. Enjoy

Ken

Thanks

Just got the CAI today and will install over the weekend. I was originally going to go with EVOLUTION PERFORMANCE but I read other POSTS here that their customer service wasn't all that great. Heard a lot of good things about Brenspeed, so I went with them.

My next mod will definately be the 2.6 S/C Pulley swap and the colder plugs.

I was considering the gear change as a possible mod for my GT500. Did you notice a big change after you did it? How does your car drive on the highway. How much rpm's did you compromise?
Old 4/26/08, 04:54 AM

The gear change to 373's was a good move for me because I do enjoy driving to the shows. Some shows I attend every year require some interstate highway driving and in six gear I'm only taching about 2k at 80 mph. The rpm lost is very minimal but your true gain is your launch from the line. Just a word of advice my friend, as you increase power with your add on mods, your gonna have the dreaded wheel hop issue. Like most GT500 owers, we all had to dump some $$$ in suspension upgrades. Check out a post called "GT500 Handling Pak". I posted a reply which illustrates the suspension mod that I did. If you need further help or if you have any other question, please don't hessitate to ask.

Last edited by snakebite500; 4/26/08 at 05:03 AM.
Old 5/12/08, 01:29 AM
Bullitt Member

I installed the JLT CAI and tune from Brenspeed on 4/25/08. Took the Shelby to the track, California Dragway in Fontana,CA on 4/26/08. Best 1/4 mile time was a 12.6 @ 113 MPH / 2.102 60FT. An improvement from 12.9 @ 110 MPH 2.012 60FT stock!

First thing I noticed after installing the CAI is that you can hear the supercharger a lot more. Sucking all that air !

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fusea...deoid=33070892

I am happy with the new ET but I was expecting more. After installing the CAI and tune, I took the Shelby out for a spin around the block.........I have to say that the car did not feel faster, with the exception of the supercharger being louder, it sounded faster.....but the numbers don't lie. Like last time at the track, traction was an issue. I plan on getting some DragRadials hoping to improve my 60 ft times and taking my Shelby into the low 12's or maybe into the high 11's (am I dreaming) .
Old 5/15/08, 06:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Changing to a lower degreed t-stat won't yield lower operating temps unless the fan turn-on temps are lowered. BTW, who makes a 160 or 180 for our cars? With summer around the corner, I need a 160..... I write my own tunes so this won't be a problem.

FYI, I ran my car for the first time a couple of weeks ago. My results were similar to yours. Bone stock, launching at 2,000 rpm on OEM tires with 35-psig: 12.94 @ 112.73 with a typical (for street tires) 2.17 short time. The scales registered 4,120 pounds with me in it. I weigh 200. I then dynoed it when Doug (Bamachips) was in Phoenix. He couldn't believe I pulled 459.7 hp / 446 ft-lbs in 98 degree weather.
Old 6/11/08, 05:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Willie
Changing to a lower degreed t-stat won't yield lower operating temps unless the fan turn-on temps are lowered. BTW, who makes a 160 or 180 for our cars? With summer around the corner, I need a 160..... I write my own tunes so this won't be a problem.

FYI, I ran my car for the first time a couple of weeks ago. My results were similar to yours. Bone stock, launching at 2,000 rpm on OEM tires with 35-psig: 12.94 @ 112.73 with a typical (for street tires) 2.17 short time. The scales registered 4,120 pounds with me in it. I weigh 200. I then dynoed it when Doug (Bamachips) was in Phoenix. He couldn't believe I pulled 459.7 hp / 446 ft-lbs in 98 degree weather.

The temp would be cooler while the car is moving foward and cooler air is getting through the radiator. At a dead stop, then yes, you are right...
Old 6/11/08, 07:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

The temp would be cooler while the car is moving foward and cooler air is getting through the radiator. At a dead stop, then yes, you are right...

Not by much. The bottom line is the coolant temp will never be cooler than the t-stat setting except during warmup. Datalog to convince yourself. With the stock t-stat, the normal operating temp is between 195 and 202, typically at 200 except on the hottest days, i.e. 100+ degrees, where it will creep up to 205 - 210. I have yet to see my hi-fan being commanded on even in stop & go traffic with the A/C on in 105+ temps. This is with my modified fan turn-on temps at 206 / 212. The stock settings for the GT500 are 216 / 228.

I believe I have found a 160 t-stat for the GT500 and will be installing it along with modifying my fan turn-on temps this weekend.

On my Whippled GT with a 160 t-stat and fan on settings at 167 / 177 and on the hottest days, my temp runs up to 180 (yes, the hi-fan is commanded on).

Willie
Old 6/13/08, 07:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Got impatient and installed a 160 t-stat last night. The physical design is slightly different. The replacement might not seat (seal) completely when closed. If this is true, the engine will take slightly longer to attain operating temp. I'm not worried at all here. Datalogging while warming up showed about a one degree increase every second or two. Not significantly slower than with the stock t-stat.

I have not had a chance to drive it yet but a preliminary warmup to full operating temp indicates this t-stat will work. With lowered fan turn-on temps, a manual high-speed fan turn-on switch and LED indicators for low & high speed fan operation, I was able to confirm the temperature stabilized at 166 degrees. Today, a little spirited driving in 105 degree temps should yield conclusive results. I bet my high-speed circuitry will finally be kicked on by the PCM. Stay tuned....

On a tangent, I also lowered my IC pump running parameters.

Willie
Attached Thumbnails First Mods for my GT500 From Brenspeed...-coolant-fan-ic-pump-settings.jpg  

Last edited by Willie; 6/13/08 at 12:45 PM.