First Damaged Shelby

Search this Thread

Old 7/9/06, 03:05 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rrobello
well here in SD I know of 3 dealerships that have all of their allocated Shelbies spoken for, and I know that Mossy in PB and Ken Grody in Carlsbad both have lists of over 40 people that are waiting to get one that are serious about it and they knew about a 20K markup at both dealerships when they signed up on that list or placed their order. So I dont think there will be any of the first wave sitting on the lots at all.
It's very unlikely that there are seven to ten thousand people in the US willing to pay a huge markup on these vehicles in the first year. A few dozen here and a few dozen there in the first few months and then it will all be over for the greedy dealers.
Old 7/9/06, 04:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Give it 6 months, they will be going for $5k over or MSRP
Old 7/9/06, 08:48 PM
GTR Member

in Largo, florida they ruined the passenger side front wheel taking the GT500 off the trailor....very sad
Old 7/9/06, 11:40 PM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

Originally Posted by BC_Shelby
It's very unlikely that there are seven to ten thousand people in the US willing to pay a huge markup on these vehicles in the first year. A few dozen here and a few dozen there in the first few months and then it will all be over for the greedy dealers.
very true, but I was speaking for San Diego and here there are enough dumb (in the way they spend their money) rich people in RSF alone to clear out all of the allotted Shelbies for the San Diego area for the first year by themselves. So unfortunately for those of us here in SD we might not see the day that the markups come down to earth any time soon (or at least not as soon as majority of the rest of the country will). And yes as I have called around to a good deal of dealerships here in SD every Shelby they have coming in is already spoken for with a deposit at the markedup price.

YOU SHOULD REALLY START READING WHAT PEOPLE TYPE!
Old 7/10/06, 11:09 AM

wow I cant believe how people are willing to pay this markup, on Friday someone drove down from Palmdale (over 2 hours away, and to get to Pearson Ford a bit closer to 3 hour drive) and bought this Shelby at that markup, and Palmdale is anything but a rich neighborhood. It looks like dealerships are gonna get what they ask for this thing.
Old 7/10/06, 11:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by BC_Shelby
Thats what alot of people thought 5 years ago before the housing boom down here and you should see what people pay for dumb houses now.
Old 7/10/06, 01:32 PM
V6 Member

"Spoken for" and "paid for" are two different things.

How many are on a list?
How many will actually buy the car?
As soon as they hit the street the clock on the hype is running.
There aren't that many dumb AND rich people.They did not get rich by being dumb. Having your car depreciate $30K in 8 months is pretty dumb indeed.

It's a desirable car to be sure, but after you've seen 20 of them around town, it's just like a corvette(I refuse to capitalize that word). Our chevy dealer has 40 corvettes lined up...any color you want. Next year, you will see Shelbys lined up also. I'll wait for the KR version next year(handling pac and drag pac,twinscrew) and I never pay MSRP on anything.
Old 7/10/06, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by jacjetlag
"Spoken for" and "paid for" are two different things.

How many are on a list?
How many will actually buy the car?
As soon as they hit the street the clock on the hype is running.
There aren't that many dumb AND rich people.They did not get rich by being dumb. Having your car depreciate $30K in 8 months is pretty dumb indeed.

It's a desirable car to be sure, but after you've seen 20 of them around town, it's just like a corvette(I refuse to capitalize that word). Our chevy dealer has 40 corvettes lined up...any color you want. Next year, you will see Shelbys lined up also. I'll wait for the KR version next year(handling pac and drag pac,twinscrew) and I never pay MSRP on anything.
well when I first started looking into getting onto the list about a year ago the list was already 40-50 strong at several dealerships and orders had been placed with deposits down, so I said forget it, even if majority of them were to back out with a list that long there was no way I was gonna get one in the first production run. And nothing against the Corvette but I dont think it has the same draw as the SHELBY, especially when you are talking about the Z06 for the most part people arent car people and dont know the difference between a Z06 and a C6 and no offense to corvette people but it seems as though the Z06 die hard enthusiasts seem to be a much smaller group than those of the Cobras, and Corvettes just cost a lot in general and so again for those that arent car people they think that a corvette is a car that is simply just out of their reach because they just dont know. So I can see how those would sit around a lot more than a Shelby will. But that aside as far as rich people spending their money in a dumb and frivolous manner, didnt you watch any of the Barrett Jackson auction from Scottsdale? Trust me, there are plenty of people with more money than they know what to do with it, they arent neccessarily car buffs, but want a cool car and dont want to put in the time to get one at a good price, theyll just do it the easy way and pay for one that is already done in the most conveniant way to them, in this case one stop shop to purchase several dream cars at one time for 3-5 times more than they are worth. It isnt that these people are dumb, they just spend money in dumb ways and if you dont believe me I welcome you to come to North County San Diego sometime and just take a look around, there are enough of these people to clear out a huge portion of the Shelbies that will be built, especially in the first year, maybe next year perhaps, but this year the prices will stay high.
Old 7/10/06, 05:19 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by Webba
Thats what alot of people thought 5 years ago before the housing boom down here and you should see what people pay for dumb houses now.
Ummmmm, my friend, there is a big difference between overspending for an investment asset, like property that increases in value, and overspending for a depreciating asset like a car.

You're comparing apples and basketballs.
Old 7/10/06, 05:20 PM
Closet American

YOU SHOULD REALLY START READING WHAT PEOPLE TYPE!
You should really take your own advice.

Old 7/10/06, 07:34 PM
Team Mustang Source

I wonder how long before one of the boneheads totals his GT500 and the insurance company only gives him retail value. Whoooops, there went 20 or 30,000 dollars.
Old 7/10/06, 07:51 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by crazyhorse
I wonder how long before one of the boneheads totals his GT500 and the insurance company only gives him retail value. Whoooops, there went 20 or 30,000 dollars.
Probably quicker than one thinks. It'll probably help that bonehead "build character" when filing insurance claims.
Old 7/10/06, 08:05 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by crazyhorse
Most of the people willing to spend that kind of money for markups have cash to burn. They'll probably run right out and buy another one for $75K.

Fortunately, people like that are the minority.

There won't be many folks able to get financing for Shelbys with markups, I shouldn't think.

I don't care what some believe - this will all settle down by the end of this model year, at the latest.
Old 7/10/06, 08:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

asking 30K over sticker.
Anyone who would pay that would eat ****..