Dialogue with a Salsesperson!!! Last to first..

Search this Thread

Old 10/4/06, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dialogue with a Salsesperson!!! Last to first..

Dan, Thanks for the response. I have one question for you, how many cars did you sell last year? I sold 250 and not one of my customers was an "idiot", nor did anyone "throw cash at my feet." It appears to me that you have been traumatized by a car salesperson somewhere, at some time in your life, and my sincere hope is that you can recover and move on. Best regards
Paul O'Connor
Jannell Ford

Sent: Wednesday, October 4, 2006 7:33 PM
To:"Daniel Ethier"
Cc:
Subject:RE: Jannell Motors

Paul,
Three? I guess you're right. They are in limited production. Salesman like yourself who are hiding behind the premise that these cars will stay in short supply is what puts the consumer off, for your information. Don't assume that all customers are idiots waiting to throw cash at you feet, that will be your shortcoming and shows nearsightedness. Some of us have paid attention to Ford MoCo press releases about the Shelby GT500 and are waiting for the "A.R.C." to disappear.
Thanks and good luck with the "3" you already have.
Dan

"Paul O'Connor (Jannell Motors Inc)" <pauloconnor@salespoint.dealerconnection.com> wrote:
Hi Dan, Thank you for your informative response, you know more than the people at Ford Motor Co! I hope the Ford Dealer nearest you has a Shelby to show you, Jannell Ford has three!! Happy shopping, and thanks again for your response,
Paul O'Connor

Sent: Tuesday! , Octobe r 3, 2006 2:19 PM
To:"Daniel Ethier"
Cc:
Subject:RE: Jannell Motors

Only a few thousand being made? Try @ 18-20k. Either you've been misinformed or you're trying to play the extremely limited, buy now at our price game. Thanks for answering my question and helping me to cross your dealership off of my list as one that I would choose to do business with.
Sincerely,
Dan

"Paul O'Connor (Jannell Motors Inc)" <pauloconnor@salespoint.dealerconnection.com> wrote:

! Hello Daniel,
&n! bsp; The 2007 Shelby GT 500 is a limited production vehicle with only a few thousand being made and they are being sold over sticker price. Please let me know if you are interested in seeing this vehicle, pricing is listed below.

Make: FordModel: MustangNew MSRP:$45,060.00
Our Price:$60,060.00

*** Does not include taxes and fees. ************************************************** ************************************************** ******************! ******** **************************
If you would like driving directions, click on the link below:
DRIVING DIRECTIONS

************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** **
I realize! the inf ormation you requested is important to you, so to ensure that you've received this message, I will call you within 24 hours unless I hear from you before then. Thank you!

Paul ! O'Connor
E Business Consultant
Jannell Motors
781.982.4500 x215

Am I wrong? Did I cross the line and insult his integrity? 3000 dealerships and he already has three cars. Limited supply my #$$.
Does anyone have a link to the press releases stating how many cars are actually going to be made in the next few years?
Thanks, Dan

Old 10/4/06, 07:32 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts

. . .

. . . . . .

Feisty, isn't he? It seems as if the Sales Engineer's Alma Mater and Fight Song were insulted at the same time.

Old 10/4/06, 08:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know the figures but this is getting ugly. anyway go CT guy BTW they have 6 GT's and they are all OVER $30,000 MSRP.
Old 10/4/06, 08:20 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
I used to sell Fords and I had more than a few customers who were idiots, but none who threw cash at my feet. They just put it in my hands.
Old 10/4/06, 08:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
While I agree the tactic of "limited supply" was being applied, why would you expect him to reply politely when you were on the offensive?
Old 10/5/06, 03:58 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
While I agree the tactic of "limited supply" was being applied, why would you expect him to reply politely when you were on the offensive?
Good question Tony.
Old 10/5/06, 05:09 PM
Team Mustang Source

While I agree that it got to the offensive eventually, I think he was polite in his first response simply saying he would not buy a car from someone who tried to mislead him.

Only a few thousand being made? Try @ 18-20k. Either you've been misinformed or you're trying to play the extremely limited, buy now at our price game. Thanks for answering my question and helping me to cross your dealership off of my list as one that I would choose to do business with.
Sincerely,
Dan
Then the salesman fired back with "you know more than the people at Ford Motor Company."

I think these guys should know that misleading customers is a good way to lose them.
Old 10/5/06, 05:19 PM

No offense crazyhorse, but there is a need to correct your typos.

Then the pillager fired back with "you know more than the people at Ford Motor Company."

I think these pillagers should know that misleading customers is a good way to lose them.

DON'T LET IT HAPPEN AGAIN!!!

Old 10/5/06, 07:59 PM
GT Member

my favorite part is the moto: "making car shopping pleasurable"

i wonder if they make dropping the soap in the shower in prison pleasurable too....
Old 10/5/06, 09:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by crazyhorse
While I agree that it got to the offensive eventually, I think he was polite in his first response simply saying he would not buy a car from someone who tried to mislead him.

Then the salesman fired back with "you know more than the people at Ford Motor Company."

I think these guys should know that misleading customers is a good way to lose them.
The phrase "Either you've been misinformed or you're trying to play the extremely limited, buy now at our price game." would immediately raise the confrontation flag. It does not sound polite to me.

I would have written it this way -

"Thank you for the information. I understand there to be approximately 9000 cars being made for 2 years. Perhaps the supply has not yet caught up with demand. At this time, I am not willing to pay over sticker price."

Another way to word this might be "Your information is different that what I have read from sources I consider reliable. I am aware that supply is lower than demand at this time. It sounds like the pricing you are offering does not match the value I place on the car. Often times, pricing like this affects long-term customer relationships and the perception many people have about the Ford Motor Company."

Of how about what you said crazyhorse - "Based on the information I have, what you just said sounds misleading. It would be difficult for me to purchase a car from you if that is the case."

Again, I do believe the "The 2007 Shelby GT 500 is a limited production vehicle with only a few thousand being made and they are being sold over sticker price" statement was an attempt to hype things up. I don't like that either. I have experienced that myself a number of times. I am quite certain that those dealerships that have reputations for high-pressure sales do suffer in the long run. Word of mouth does carry weight.

I have seen this same behavior at Lexus dealers, Nissan dealers, Honda dealers, Dodge dealers, Chevrolet dealers, etc. because of the vehicle involved. If it was in high demand and supply was not caught up, similar events unfolded. I watched a friend of mine get told she was going to be charged a $1500 transportation fee to get her Lexus IS250 from another state. People still keep going back to Lexus. It's the PRODUCT!

Anyway, enough of my rambling. Wildmustanger01, I hope you find a GT500 at your price!
Old 10/5/06, 09:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

The phrase "Either you've been misinformed or you're trying to play the extremely limited, buy now at our price game." would immediately raise the confrontation flag. It does not sound polite to me.

"Thank you for the information. I understand there to be approximately 9000 cars being made for 2 years. Perhaps the supply has not yet caught up with demand. At this time, I am not willing to pay over sticker price."

Another way to word this might be "Your information is different that what I have read from sources I consider reliable. I am aware that supply is lower than demand at this time. It sounds like the pricing you are offering does not match the value I place on the car. Often times, pricing like this affects long-term customer relationships and the perception many people have about the Ford Motor Company."

Of how about what you said crazyhorse - "Based on the information I have, what you just said sounds misleading. It would be difficult for me to purchase a car from you if that is the case."

Again, I do believe the "The 2007 Shelby GT 500 is a limited production vehicle with only a few thousand being made and they are being sold over sticker price" statement was an attempt to hype things up. I don't like that either. I have experienced that myself a number of times. I am quite certain that those dealerships that have reputations for high-pressure sales do suffer in the long run. Word of mouth does carry weight.

I have seen this same behavior at Lexus dealers, Nissan dealers, Honda dealers, Dodge dealers, Chevrolet dealers, etc. because of the vehicle involved. If it was in high demand and supply was not caught up, similar events unfolded. I watched a friend of mine get told she was going to be charged a $1500 transportation fee to get her Lexus IS250 from another state. People still keep going back to Lexus. It's the PRODUCT!

Anyway, enough of my rambling. Wildmustanger01, I hope you find a GT500 at your price!
Old 10/5/06, 10:09 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by ecmazza
my favorite part is the moto: "making car shopping pleasurable"

i wonder if they make dropping the soap in the shower in prison pleasurable too....
Old 10/6/06, 03:35 AM

And I would have written it this way -

Dear Sir:

GFY YOU IGNORANT SOB!

Respectfully yours,

1 BULLITT

Old 10/6/06, 07:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT
And I would have written it this way -

Dear Sir:

GFY YOU IGNORANT SOB!

Respectfully yours,

1 BULLITT

Old 10/7/06, 11:02 AM

Tony,
As far as being on the offensive, I was kicking around on cars.com and came across Jannell motors add for the GT 500 and I sent him an automated request for a price quote. He was the instigator by stating "The 2007 Shelby GT 500 is a limited production vehicle with only a few thousand being made and they are being sold over sticker price"
thus showing his willingness to stretch the truth just a "little". Yes, my reply may have been a little loaded, but I have followed the evolution of the GT 500 from it's inception just as many on TMS have, this type of sales ploy is really getting on the nerves of the true enthusiast who wants to own and enjoy one of these fabulous cars. It is the aforementioned "pillager" that is just one of the many dealerships willing to keep us from what's rightfully ours (with a 45k deposit, of course). I will be patient and wait out the hype, this guy just hit a nerve.

"Dear Sir:

GFY YOU IGNORANT SOB!

Respectfully yours,

1 BULLITT

"

Definitely crossed my mind. Thanks 1 Bullitt
Old 10/7/06, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Wildmustanger01
Definitely crossed my mind. Thanks 1 Bullitt
Anytime!

Please send your $100 donation and the usual 50% administrative (AMV) fee.

Thank you for your support.

Old 10/8/06, 06:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Tony,
As far as being on the offensive, I was kicking around on cars.com and came across Jannell motors add for the GT 500 and I sent him an automated request for a price quote. He was the instigator by stating "The 2007 Shelby GT 500 is a limited production vehicle with only a few thousand being made and they are being sold over sticker price"
thus showing his willingness to stretch the truth just a "little".
Depends on your definition of a "few" but I agree there was intent to stoke the fire.

Yes, my reply may have been a little loaded,
...which resulted in the response obviously

but I have followed the evolution of the GT 500 from it's inception just as many on TMS have, ...
Yep, and probably even before that, knowing how much the new "Cobra" was expected to be an even higher performer because the '03/'04s raised the bar. I did likewise!

...this type of sales ploy is really getting on the nerves of the true enthusiast who wants to own and enjoy one of these fabulous cars.
This tactic is one of many that is annoying!

It is the aforementioned "pillager" that is just one of the many dealerships willing to keep us from what's rightfully ours (with a 45k deposit, of course).
I assume you mean the enthusiast who is younger than the demographic for this car who is reliving the Shelby era of the past.

I will be patient and wait out the hype, this guy just hit a nerve.
And that is the BEST thing that you can do.

I remember talking to a number of the Ford engineers and a couple of Ford sales managers about 6 months before they started production, and they definitely mentioned that it would be 8-10 month period before demand and supply balanced.

I do wish you well in your GT500 search and acquisition. I figure its easier on the blood pressure to take the high road and don't expend the energy to engage someone in a situation like this. At least Ford is making a powerful car we find desirable and that can (eventually) be purchased by folks at a semi-reasonable price. The only reason I semi-reasonable is because I still think $43,000 is too much for a Mustang. However, I definitely understand why the price is set there and what you get for the money.

Best of luck!

PS - 1Bullitt's response was more succinct that mine
Old 10/9/06, 08:45 AM
Team Mustang Source

I remember talking to a number of the Ford engineers and a couple of Ford sales managers about 6 months before they started production, and they definitely mentioned that it would be 8-10 month period before demand and supply balanced.
I called SVT about 3 weeks ago after a dealer gave me the 3000 units, one year only line. He even went as far as to say the internet rumors of 10,000 for 2-3 years was bogus. Anyway, I called them to get SVT's current version of production estimates. The guy told me 8-10/year for "at least" 2 years. I told him why I was calling. I finished with "I think the demand will die down by this Summer and I will be able to get one at sticker." He said "that is what we would expect as well."

Wild, myself and many others are really frustrated with this situation. We have been waiting for this car for a long time only to have it kept out of our reach for yet another year. I could buy it at the ADM, but, simply refuse to.

Come on Ford, ramp it up and catch up to us.
Old 10/9/06, 09:10 AM

Come on Ford, ram it up and ...

<standing ovation>

Old 10/9/06, 01:48 PM
GT Member

Am I wrong? Did I cross the line and insult his integrity? 3000 dealerships and he already has three cars. Limited supply my #$$.
Does anyone have a link to the press releases stating how many cars are actually going to be made in the next few years?
Thanks, Dan

Here it is. http://www.stangsunleashed.com/forum...t+presentation Its around page 36 IIRC. But if the sales person hasn't seen it, or paid any attention to the certification training, or called SVT, your battle against the forces of ignorance will require you be on your shield, not carrying it....

Quick Reply: Dialogue with a Salsesperson!!! Last to first..