Cost of GT500

Search this Thread

Old 6/20/08, 07:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How much should a Mustang GT cost? If you are saying the GT500 is only worth about 5K more than the GT, you are sadly mistaken. List out the upgrades and try to match them with 5 grand. The M122 alone would surpass that. Let alone the 6 speed tranny, dual disc clutch, suspension, brakes, seats, wheels, tires and cosmetic upgrades.

Don't get me wrong, I love the GT (and all Mustangs), but, the price difference is more than 5 grand.
Old 6/21/08, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Come on guys, do any of you actually "READ" the post before you respond by misquoting me???
Dad's72Mach, where did I say in my post to "Get Real"?? And where in my post did I say "I could not afford a GT500"??? You, yourself have boasted on these boards about dealers chasing you with deals under MSRP for the GT500"????
The point of my post is, I like the GT500, I will eventually own a GT500, but unlike you, I am shrewd with my money because I don't finance anything!! I actually go to the Bank and send a wire transfer to pay for large purchases!! So if I can save $1000, $3000, $6000, $10,000 etc., it is money I don't have to make!! Strange concept no??? Check out some of the auction prices on GT500's with as low as 600 miles on them! $28k -$36K!! Look it up for yourself before spitting back that I don't know what I am talking about!!! Guess where they are coming from?? Some are "Repo's", but that can't be from the bad economy?? Or from people over extending themselves financially, or having tough financial times???
Whatever happened to freedom of speech???? I voice my finding's and simply state that "I refuse, never have, and never will have to pay anything near MSRP for a car!! I have always, I repeat ALWAYS gotten cars that are hot in the market for at or way below INVOICE!! That is not a new financial concept!!! If the dealers don't want my business, there are always people who own the car I want, that are in a financial bind and need out fast!!! It happens every day, cars, real estate, business!!! A good example is back in 2006, on an 06 M3 Coupe with 900 miles on it, the window sticker was $55k, a new hotshot, rookie broker, who works with my broker, had a few good months, ordered it, rarely drove it because he just wanted to park it in the Garage of his work for everyone to see! I paid $36k for it because he needed the money "NOW" and couldn't find a buyer or dealer to pay that much. I drove it for over a year and sold it for $42k! Supply and demand!! Haves and have nots!! Call it what you want, but it happens every day!!!
For anyone who is dying for a GT500, or even the Super Snake, keep waiting!! Read the post's from the owners on these forums, you can see the writing on the wall!!!
Sorry crazyhorse! I am only voicing my "Opinion" of what the GT500 should be priced at or selling at in the current financial climate!! I am not trying to be sarcastic! Ford is not going to price the GT500 based on my opinion! It is priced based on what enough people are willing to pay and the company can still make some kind of profit! Last I checked, Ford is not a Charity!!
Again, so we can put this to rest! I love the GT500, I have a black 70 GT500 convertible that is in the middle of a ground up restoration, I have had 5 mustang's and enjoyed them all. My first was a 65 fastback, that I bought at 15 year old, that probably had more rust, than solid metal! So Mustang's are not a new concept to me!
I am also just simply throwing around my ideas of ways to enjoy a new Mustang until the dust settles in the market and economy!! I would rather have $16k-$25k into a car that I can drive the heck out of because I may not be able to unload it without taking a bath financially on it!!!
I didn't mean to step on anyones toes!! If we all thought alike, everyone would be driving a GT500 and I am sure that would be pretty boring!
Happy motoring!!
Old 6/21/08, 02:18 PM
Team Mustang Source

I paid MSRP for mine last year. I ordered exactly what I wanted. I did not have to buy one that has had a few rough miles on it by someone else. It wasn't one that has sat in a showroom for 9 months serving as a leaning post for salesman as they smoke their cigs. To me it was worth paying full sticker to get the exact one I wanted in unmolested form. This is the first time I have paid anywhere near full sticker. For this car it, was worth it.

When Ford announces the next SVT Mustang, you will likely be able to get the current one under sticker (Assuming that it is better).
Old 6/22/08, 11:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

crazyhorse,

Thanks for the tip. That will give me more comfort waiting for the GT500 to be abit close to MSRP.
Old 6/22/08, 04:05 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by project_v6
crazyhorse,

Thanks for the tip. That will give me more comfort waiting for the GT500 to be abit close to MSRP.
No Problem V6.

Cars are avail at MSRP now if that is your price. I don't know of any under yet. I suspect there will be a short run of under sticker to clear out the remaining S197 GT500s. The gamble will be if there is a GT500 released right away or if there will be a hiatus again.

I saw on another forum that Shelby signed another agreement for like 6 more years. I don't know if that is true or not.
Old 6/22/08, 04:24 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

OMG...............134K um can you say porsche 911 turbo?
Old 6/25/08, 01:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 Shelby GT500 $2000 Under MSRP

2008 Shelby GT500 $2000 Under MSRP (boulder creek)

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/car/728570860.html

Reply to: sale-728570860@craigslist.org
Date: 2008-06-22, 10:36AM PDT

2008 Ford Shelby GT500 Mustang Convertible.Loaded woth options including DVD Navigation.Torch Red with Black top and interior.I am selling this car for $2000 under MSRP so the price is only $50,780.00,I paid over $58,000 for it so my loss is your gain.This car has never been in the rain and has never seen red line on the tach.I am open to trade will look at very late model luxury car.The car is just about to reach 1100 miles on the odometer.The reason I am selling it is because I have realized there is no need for a retired 66 year old man to have a car this fast.Serious buyers only please and thank you for looking.If interested call Jim at (408)891-1418

key words: muscle car,hotrod,hot rod,collector,classic,

• This item has been posted by-owner.
  • it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
PostingID: 728570860
Old 6/25/08, 04:23 PM
Team Mustang Source

To me you buy what you like what you pay for it is your business, their is alot of people who wait for the right price and that their business,I bought the car for me if and when I decide to sell it what deal I make is my deal. I have onwed a boss429 since 1971 never sold it this car is about as close to that as they come so I enjoy them all now because, who has a crystal ball. If you own a 500 enjoy it because in most cases that why you bought it if the price goes up that a plus if it goes down it's just like most anything you buy today.
Old 6/25/08, 04:37 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Convertibles were selling at MSRP way before the coupes did. Even at $2K under MSRP it's a hard sale for a used GT500.
Old 6/25/08, 05:22 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT
Convertibles were selling at MSRP way before the coupes did. Even at $2K under MSRP it's a hard sale for a used GT500.
Yeah, that's actually a few hundred more than I paid for mine cause it didn't have the Nav. I'd much rather have that 1100 miles to put on it myself than an option I don't want or need. The guy makes it sound like 66 and retired is just this side of dead. Hope I don't feel that way in 20 years. Let my Dad drive mine a couple weeks ago and his only complaint was the the stiff clutch made his knee hurt a little. Didn't stop him from getting it sideways a couple times though.
Old 7/2/08, 11:37 AM
eci
Banned

Originally Posted by crazyhorse
How much should a Mustang GT cost? If you are saying the GT500 is only worth about 5K more than the GT, you are sadly mistaken. List out the upgrades and try to match them with 5 grand. The M122 alone would surpass that. Let alone the 6 speed tranny, dual disc clutch, suspension, brakes, seats, wheels, tires and cosmetic upgrades.

Don't get me wrong, I love the GT (and all Mustangs), but, the price difference is more than 5 grand.
Illogical...

To compare the price difference you can't just say " add the TR6060 price ON TOP OF the GT price " etc. First you have to subtract the cost of the TR3650 from the GT. Then subtract the cost of the 3V 4.6L engine. Not add $15k to the GT ( price of GT500 engine assembly with clutch ).

Cosmetic upgrades? Wash. The GT500 bumper covers don't cost any more to make than the GT versions.

Suspension? Wash. Same cost. There is nothing special about GT500 suspension.

Wheels? Barely. Same diameter but slightly wider than GT's available 18x8.5". There is nothing special about the GT500's wheels.

Seats? Barely. Additional bolstering, nothing else. GT's can be had with seat heaters, which nullifies any cost increase for GT500 seats.

The GT500 has better brakes ( front only, same rear brakes ), engine, and tranny over the GT. Nothing else. You have to subtract the costs of the GT's parts before you ADD the Shelby parts to the GT's price if you are trying to accurately compare.

To simplify it for you, take a $10,000 engine versus a $15,000 engine. The logic you are using says the car with the $15,000 engine is worth $15,000 more. It's not, it's worth $5,000 more.

Last edited by eci; 7/2/08 at 05:37 PM.
Old 7/2/08, 04:37 PM

Add the costs of the additional personnel required for the additional design and engineering, testing, promoting, upgrades, ect, ect. The price difference will not be the difference on the costs of different parts.

Last edited by 1 COBRA; 7/2/08 at 08:06 PM.
Old 7/2/08, 05:35 PM
eci
Banned

Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT
Add the costs of the additional personnel required for the additional design and engineering, testing, promoting, upgrades, ect, ect. The price difference will not be the diffence on the costs of different parts.
I'll call that!

Subtract complete chassis engineering, interior layout, body, etc from the GT500. All funded and completed for the 2005 Mustang.
Old 7/2/08, 07:05 PM

You missed the point. Having the base is not the same as the final product unless the uprades are minor as with the GT/CS and the Bullitt.

Another factor is volume. If the GT500 had the production volume of the Mustang GT the cost difference would not be the same.
Old 7/2/08, 07:51 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by eci
Illogical...

To compare the price difference you can't just say " add the TR6060 price ON TOP OF the GT price " etc. First you have to subtract the cost of the TR3650 from the GT. Then subtract the cost of the 3V 4.6L engine. Not add $15k to the GT ( price of GT500 engine assembly with clutch ).

Cosmetic upgrades? Wash. The GT500 bumper covers don't cost any more to make than the GT versions.

Suspension? Wash. Same cost. There is nothing special about GT500 suspension.

Wheels? Barely. Same diameter but slightly wider than GT's available 18x8.5". There is nothing special about the GT500's wheels.

Seats? Barely. Additional bolstering, nothing else. GT's can be had with seat heaters, which nullifies any cost increase for GT500 seats.

The GT500 has better brakes ( front only, same rear brakes ), engine, and tranny over the GT. Nothing else. You have to subtract the costs of the GT's parts before you ADD the Shelby parts to the GT's price if you are trying to accurately compare.

To simplify it for you, take a $10,000 engine versus a $15,000 engine. The logic you are using says the car with the $15,000 engine is worth $15,000 more. It's not, it's worth $5,000 more.
Well, Dr. Spock, the Supercharger I mentioned above is an addition, not a replacement. I could have said it more clearly, but, I was speaking of the cost differences in the other components.

The GT500 suspension has different spring rates and dampening rates. I don't know if that adds cost or not. I would guess is does add some minor increase. Especially if you add the engineering cost.

The wheels may not be a lot more, but, the tires sure are.

The engine? Try buying the Ford GT heads that come on the GT500 along with the forged internals. Go ahead and subtract the cost of the Mustang GT heads and internals. It will still cost you plenty.

I'm betting the hood is a significant cosmetic cost. Although small, the cost of the ground effects, stripes and large front fascia has to increase the cost.

As George said, the additional engineering is costly. You should read Iron Fist, Lead Foot. The book about Colletti and SVTs development of the Terminator. It is a good read about how the cars is developed and how much goes into it.

I'm not sure where you see that I am saying that the upgrade cost is direct dollar for each upgrade, but, even with your argument, it still surpasses 5 grand. I am sure it isn't quite 15 grand, but, when you add the licensing fee from Shelby, I am sure they are not making much more than they are on a GT Mustang. Even if they are, they deserve it for making such an awesome car available for the public to buy.

Last edited by crazyhorse; 7/2/08 at 07:54 PM.
Old 7/8/08, 08:59 AM
Team Mustang Source

oops.......see next post

Last edited by OKLACOP; 7/8/08 at 09:01 AM.
Old 7/8/08, 09:00 AM
Team Mustang Source

I have a dealer in Oklahoma who will order an 09 GT500 for me at $1000 below msrp. It's tempting, but I'm seeing very slightly used ones as low as $35k (just sold by a teamshelby member). I'm still holding out til after our house sells and the new house is built. I'm sure the prices on GT500's will be even lower by then.
Old 7/8/08, 11:09 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by OKLACOP

I have a dealer in Oklahoma who will order an 09 GT500 for me at $1000 below msrp. It's tempting, but I'm seeing very slightly used ones as low as $35k (just sold by a teamshelby member). I'm still holding out til after our house sells and the new house is built. I'm sure the prices on GT500's will be even lower by then.
I'm curious then, where do you see slightly used prices being about a year from now?
Old 7/8/08, 02:31 PM
Bullitt Member

I stopped by a dealer in New Jersey last week, and they had an 08 for $58,230. I asked them if they were kidding, and when they said no I just laughed and walked out.
Old 7/8/08, 06:45 PM

they're out there

I paid MSRP for my car in April....I wasn't happy with that deal either but they had originally asked $13,000 over. I told them politely that I couldn't pay more than sticker and they asked if I would buy the car today, like right now if they relented..I said yes and the car is in the garage with a whopping 245 miles on the odo.
I will eventually get around to driving the car a bit.....maybe.... someday. I sure do a lot of garage polishing though......
If you want a car like this then go buy it..there's always going to be fuel to fill the tank in your lifetime. it may be pricey but hey, nobody said fun was cheap. in fact, fun has never been cheap when it came to automotive stuff...nature of the beast I guess.....

Quick Reply: Cost of GT500