CNN Claims 50,000 orders placed for Shelby

Search this Thread

Old 4/16/06, 02:18 AM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just goes to show: If ya don't have the facts, what the hay, make 'em up! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]

A woman was reporting from the NY autoshow on CNN Saturday night (a little five minute piece they did on the return of the '60s muscle car) and stated that only 7000 Shelbys in total are to be built, and that Ford has 50,000 confirmed - that's right, CONFIRMED - orders.

Now given the fact that most dealers (those who post here notably excluded) can't even find their derrières with both hands...are woefully misinformed in many cases about this car...and have yet to take formal orders on it, you have to wonder just how the network arrived at these "statistics." [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headscratch.gif[/img]

Anyhoo, this particular reporter made it sound like NO ONE is going to be able to get one of these cars.

As if the hype wasn't bad enough. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img]

And one more important consideration: If the price of gas climbs up to three bucks a gallon (which, given the coming war with Iran, is likely), I think a lot fewer people are gonna to be stepping up to the plate for one of these, and definitely not people who have to finance it - not at 8 to 12 mpg on premium fuel.
Old 4/16/06, 05:20 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BC_Shelby @ April 16, 2006, 4:21 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
... A woman was reporting from the NY autoshow on CNN Saturday night...
... stated that only 7000 Shelbys in total are to be built, and that Ford has 50,000 confirmed - that's right, CONFIRMED - orders...
[/b][/quote]
amyb... is that... is that YOU? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/what.gif[/img]

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]
Old 4/16/06, 06:11 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like someone put the dryer on SPINNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 4/16/06, 09:29 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No,this is just lies.
Old 4/16/06, 09:30 AM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tony Alonso @ April 16, 2006, 8:14 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Sounds like someone put the dryer on SPINNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[/b][/quote]

Let the gouging begin. Jay O'Connell said in a recent interview, they will probably do 7500 per year, but they hope to ramp production to 10,000 units PER YEAR. So maybe a 3-4 year run with close to 30,000 units

I feel sorry for the '07 owners.

-Christian
Old 4/16/06, 09:46 AM
Cam Tease

Nevermind this, I had a total brain lapse.
Old 4/16/06, 01:41 PM
GTR Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(1 BULLITT @ April 16, 2006, 6:23 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
amyb... is that... is that YOU? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/what.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]
haha i was thinking the same thing, then this post just cracked me up [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rollinglaugh.gif[/img]
Old 4/16/06, 04:51 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
"... LIVE... FROM NY... IIIIIIIIIIT'S SATURDAY NIGHT!!!"

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/fam24.gif[/img]

Old 4/16/06, 05:24 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BC_Shelby @ April 16, 2006, 2:21 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Anyhoo, this particular reporter made it sound like NO ONE is going to be able to get one of these cars.
[/b][/quote]

Just like the Yogi Berra line about a restaurant:

"No one goes there anymore. It's too crowded."

No one is going to be able to get a GT-500, there's too many orders.
Old 4/16/06, 08:09 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(V10 @ April 16, 2006, 7:27 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Just like the Yogi Berra line about a restaurant:

"No one goes there anymore. It's too crowded."

No one is going to be able to get a GT-500, there's too many orders.
[/b][/quote]

Thats a strong possibility also with all the Ebay flipping and and crazy dealer bs
alot of people may walk on the GT500 and go to Dodge or Chevy. If Ford doesn't
get there act together and set a price on this car its going to sour people to anything they put out.

I'm waiting to hear a price from a dealer whos waiting on Ford to announce a price.
I figure that the markup they add on is going to make me walk
but I'll give them a chance to finish the deal. I'm die hard Ford but this price gouging
is bs there are dealers willing to sell close to MSRP maybe I'll find one [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]
Old 4/17/06, 05:04 AM
Closet American

Well, who knows how long this muscle car resurrection can - or will - last >> Oil Rises to $70 in New York on Gasoline Demand, Iran Standoff. Me thinks it will go higher still, too.

And there may be an even more pressing reason for cutting back >> Be worried, be very worried.

Then there's this story, from National Geographic. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img]

Darn Mother Nature for spoiling our fun. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]

Though all kidding aside, I must say I have no desire to look back on my life when I'm 80 and realize that I hastened the extinction of the polar bear just so I could drive a gas guzzling carbon monoxide belcher.

Old 4/17/06, 05:57 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CNN=Crap
TIME=More Crap
National Geographic=Sketchily researched crap.

Prepare to go off topic....

Climate change is cyclical, short of complete nuclear annihilation, can man seriously effect Mother Earth? Just a question for discussion.

Return to topic-flame at will. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 4/17/06, 06:17 AM
Team Mustang Source

Considering we are in the process of entering another cooling period or maybe even in one I'm not buying the global warming stuff. Now as for 50K in orders for the GT500 that might be right. Not confirmed though but all those guys who put there name in at every dealership in town.
Old 4/17/06, 09:51 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I talked to several dealers this weekend to see if I could place an order for a Cobra Vert. They all claimed they are only getting between 3 and 6 Cobra's and they have them all sold. If you want one it seems like there are 50K orders, although that is bogus.

They are also stating they are getting 10k over sticker and think they are too low.

I don't think I am going to be one of the first to have a Cobra Vert. I was one of the first to have a GT Vert.

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img]
Old 4/17/06, 10:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

perhaps living in the city clouds your view of the global thing. Up in Maine we see the changes. I am in the city area in Maine but nothing compared to Cleveland. Things are changing and if you think we as humans have nothng to do with ityou are fooling yourself. Just the land that had been cleared in Southern Maine in the last 5 years of the housing boom up here is staggering. And if anyone thinks that doesnt make a difference I have a bridge to sell ya and Ford has an overpriced Shelby for ya [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]
Old 4/17/06, 10:42 AM
Cam Tease

I have faith in human ingenuity. If we can break it, we can replace it. And if not, WHO CARES, we'll all be dead by then!!!! HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAhahahHAHAHahah.

AMmERICAA puCk YEAHH.
Old 4/17/06, 03:56 PM
Closet American

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tiberius1701 @ April 17, 2006, 5:00 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
CNN=Crap
TIME=More Crap
National Geographic=Sketchily researched crap.
Prepare to go off topic....

Climate change is cyclical, short of complete nuclear annihilation, can man seriously effect Mother Earth? Just a question for discussion.

Return to topic-flame at will. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]
NEWSFLASH - This just in: Scientists at Halliburton confirmed today that the popularly held belief that the Earth revolves around the sun is complete crap. According to a spokesperson, scientists have determined that the Sun is nothing more than a 1000 watt heat lamp in the sky. Moreover, scientists also revealed that the moon landings were, in fact, a hoax, and that squeezing small furry animals in an industrial press at high temperature can directly produce small quantities of oil. Company heads have announced a new program to round up all "stray" animals whereever they are found, from the arctic tundra to the Serengeti plains.

For more information, visit the official Global Warming Is A Hoax website.

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rofl2.gif[/img]
Old 4/17/06, 07:27 PM
Cam Tease

Hey, I coheaded that study with the esteemed Vice President!!
Old 4/17/06, 09:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AnotherMustangMan @ April 17, 2006, 5:30 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Hey, I coheaded that study with the esteemed Vice President!!
[/b][/quote]

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/lol.gif[/img]

Did you also help him invent the internet? We need this post on the Suburu forum.
Old 4/17/06, 10:51 PM
Cobra R Member

a great piece of advice from a bumper:
ignore the environment... it'll go away!

I can't believe somebody could possibly think that 6 billion people can't affect this planet! 6 billion GT500s would screw us over pretty bad too, so tthat's good that only 50,000 people want them. Anybody thinking maybe its a typo and they have 5000 confirmed orders?

Hopefully people who buy this car will love it so much that they will save driving it for very special occasions and won't have to feel too too bad about grandchildren and polar bears.

Or hopefully, soon the technology will be up to snuff so that we can build crazy fast, good looking cars that we can get passionate about but that won't mess things up too much. A couple friends of mine at school just built an electric FSAE car and it can do 0-60 in about 4 seconds!

Quick Reply: CNN Claims 50,000 orders placed for Shelby