Canadian Shelby Pricing from Auto123

Search this Thread

Old 6/8/06, 05:26 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Canadian Shelby Pricing from Auto123

"$51,199 for the coupe and $56,099 for the convertible."

Article

Seems a little low to me...on the other hand, the CDN dollar is up dramatically against the US dollar, so this could be accurate.

The problem will be getting a hold of one - if it's true that only 400 are coming to Canada. Still, I wonder if that is 400 being allocated to dealers, or if you walk in, plunk down the cash, and special order one, whether they will still accomodate you, allocations or not.
Old 6/8/06, 05:40 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Thats pretty awsome pricing. Theyre still selling 2002-3 Cobras for like 40K.
Old 6/8/06, 06:05 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Pretty reasonable price overall,

I'm guessing the same thing is going to happen with the Shelbys as the Terminator cobras, the first ones are going to be snapped up, then a lot of convertibles will be sitting on dealer lots.
Old 6/8/06, 07:36 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by korinwoodo
Thats pretty awsome pricing. Theyre still selling 2002-3 Cobras for like 40K.
To be more accurate, they are still trying to sell 03/04 SVT's for the original sticker. And will be trying for some time to come.
Old 6/8/06, 09:28 PM
V6 Member

Don't get too excited guys. I had to bid for one in Saskatoon. Apparently 25 people who were on the list bid on 15 cars. The minimum winning bid was $18,000 over MSRP!! I'm a little choked after having a deposit sit for over a year. I hear the highest amount was double that. Do the math, with taxes that's $100,000. Instead I bought a GT last week. (from another dealer) For 25 large I can easily build a car that out handles, out brakes, and out accelerates the Shelby.

Sorry, am I still bitter.
Old 6/8/06, 10:01 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by klingonford
Don't get too excited guys. I had to bid for one in Saskatoon. Apparently 25 people who were on the list bid on 15 cars. The minimum winning bid was $18,000 over MSRP!! I'm a little choked after having a deposit sit for over a year. I hear the highest amount was double that. Do the math, with taxes that's $100,000. Instead I bought a GT last week. (from another dealer) For 25 large I can easily build a car that out handles, out brakes, and out accelerates the Shelby.

Sorry, am I still bitter.
Given the fact that dealer markups are ILLEGAL in Canada, why does this story sound suspicious to me? Unless setting up a "so called" auction enables them to get around the ADM issue. But then there's the legalities of being allowed to auction off consumer products that ordinarily should be available for retail sale.

Unless the dealership is planning to put 10 kilometers on ALL their Shelbys and then sell them as "used" (which enables them to sell the cars at whatever price they want).
Old 6/8/06, 10:04 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by Galaxie
Pretty reasonable price overall,

I'm guessing the same thing is going to happen with the Shelbys as the Terminator cobras, the first ones are going to be snapped up, then a lot of convertibles will be sitting on dealer lots.
It's very reasonable, actually.

But why do you say convertibles and not coupes?

I'm a little surprised that Canada's getting less than 1/20 of the Shelby production run this year, though, given that we have 1/10 the population of the U.S. I would have thought we'd have gotten 750 to 1000 units this year...not 400.
Old 6/9/06, 07:35 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Gerald,

I'm surprised myself with the below-average allocation for Canada. Keep in mind though, they are offered through SVT dealers only up here. Hopefully the dealerships are smart and don't order a lot of convertibles for stock. A local SVT dealer had quite a few leftover '04 Cobra convertibles well into 2005.

I suspect a lot of dealers will put 100km's on the car and try to sell them as demo's for whatever price they want. The same thing is happening right now up here with the Kappa Twins, the Sky and Solstice, in addition to the Z06
Old 6/9/06, 08:11 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I guess if they 'lotteried' the car... its technically not a markup...

Wait enough, they'll sit on the lots like the 03/04 Cobra's too.

People in Canada don't want to spend THAT much on a car let alone on a mustang.

Sure they'll be rare in the beginning.
But if its a 3 year run... everyone who wants one will get one...
Old 6/9/06, 09:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Thats kind of my outlook on it as well. In two or three years there will be enough in production and sitting on lots waiting to be sold that there should not be any kind of adm at all (at least thats what I am hoping).
Additionally over the next two or three years we should see the first of the special editions as well as get an idea as to the new styling (due in 09 or 10). This way there will be much more to chose from and hopefully anyone will be able to get the one they really want (ie Boss, GT, GT500, new body style, etc).
Till then, I have a nice 06 GT to drive and just wait for all the new stuff to show up before making any decision on an upgrade.
Old 6/9/06, 02:28 PM
Closet American

I also think that if the price of gas continues heading north, that these cars will quickly become somewhat undesireable (once the early frenzy is over) and end up sitting on lots.
Old 6/9/06, 05:16 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Originally Posted by BC_Shelby
I also think that if the price of gas continues heading north, that these cars will quickly become somewhat undesireable (once the early frenzy is over) and end up sitting on lots.
With a shelby, I would probably disagree, its usually people with money to burn, and its usually not a daily driver, or at least a 90km daily commuter.

if I somehow double my salary in the next year or two (fat chance), then I would consider possibly trading in for one in '08... that is unless the bubble bursts on the housing market
Old 6/10/06, 08:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Given the fact that dealer markups are ILLEGAL in Canada
really?

btw, if they're priced at about $43,000 USD, CAD is about $47,500. I'm thinking we're getting ripped off up here.

www.xe.com
Old 6/11/06, 02:46 AM
Closet American

Originally Posted by nonsensez9
really?

btw, if they're priced at about $43,000 USD, CAD is about $47,500. I'm thinking we're getting ripped off up here.

www.xe.com
Specialty cars always fetch more in Canada than in the States. And, yeah, it's probably cause we're getting ripped off.
Old 6/11/06, 02:52 AM
Closet American

Originally Posted by Galaxie
With a shelby, I would probably disagree, its usually people with money to burn, and its usually not a daily driver, or at least a 90km daily commuter.
You may be right.

It could be all academic right now anyway, because I had a local SVT dealer tell me today that the entire Canadian Shelby allotment for '07 is already sold out, and that their dealership is sold out for '08, too. He said he couldn't even put me on a list; that he had 15 cars with guaranteed buyers, and another 30 seriously interested people on a waiting list.

Here's the demographic breakdown (as he described it): Many of them own highly successful trades businesses, have tons of money, are over 40, and are long-time muscle car enthusiasts.

I still think the fervor will die out after year one. I'm just not certain I want to wait until MY '08 for a car that will, by that time, already be fading in the light of rumblings and early pics of the next redesign.

Guess I'll have to go for that GT later this year. Oh, well...life could be worse, and I still love the GT, especially this one with a full '07 load package on it:

Old 6/12/06, 09:24 PM
V6 Member

You may be right.

It could be all academic right now anyway, because I had a local SVT dealer tell me today that the entire Canadian Shelby allotment for '07 is already sold out, and that their dealership is sold out for '08, too. He said he couldn't even put me on a list; that he had 15 cars with guaranteed buyers, and another 30 seriously interested people on a waiting list.

Here's the demographic breakdown (as he described it): Many of them own highly successful trades businesses, have tons of money, are over 40, and are long-time muscle car enthusiasts.

I still think the fervor will die out after year one. I'm just not certain I want to wait until MY '08 for a car that will, by that time, already be fading in the light of rumblings and early pics of the next redesign.

Guess I'll have to go for that GT later this year. Oh, well...life could be worse, and I still love the GT, especially this one with a full '07 load package on it:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...dar/NAIAS5.jpg

Sorry to hear that. It sounds like you are going through exactly what I went through 2 weeks ago. I bought a GT from another dealer the week I found out I wasn't getting a Shelby. I'm not waiting around another 18 months for a car. I should have it within a week and already have some mods in mind. I hope everything works out for you.