2007 Ford Shelby GT500 Officially Rated at 500 Horsepower

Search this Thread

Old 5/3/06, 05:12 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hi5.0 @ May 2, 2006, 8:32 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
It is going to need all 500 of those horses to move that weight. LOL. Ford "got it to make" 500hp, now it needs to lose 500lbs. to truly challenge the other cars in the 500hp club when the straightaways end...
[/b][/quote]
It just amazes me. The car is coming with an unprecedented 500 hp and people are still finding things to complain about. (I'm not picking at you hi5.0, I just used yours as an example). All you guys want 500 hp, 3000 lb, Carbon Fiber/Aluminum frame, IRS, SMG and fine Corinthian leather interior all for $35K.

We should all be thanking Ford for making the fastest and likely best handling Mustang ever while still keeping it $25-30K cheaper than the Z06. A few of you are "not buying" it because of the "4x4" ride height and the lack of 20in wheels. If you are that hard to please, you should be shopping elsewhere.
Old 5/3/06, 06:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(crazyhorse @ May 3, 2006, 5:15 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
It just amazes me. The car is coming with an unprecedented 500 hp and people are still finding things to complain about. (I'm not picking at you hi5.0, I just used yours as an example). All you guys want 500 hp, 3000 lb, Carbon Fiber/Aluminum frame, IRS, SMG and fine Corinthian leather interior all for $35K.

We should all be thanking Ford for making the fastest and likely best handling Mustang ever while still keeping it $25-30K cheaper than the Z06. A few of you are "not buying" it because of the "4x4" ride height and the lack of 20in wheels. If you are that hard to please, you should be shopping elsewhere.
[/b][/quote]

I'd have to agree. As a Mustang, FORD fan, you really can't complain about this. Expecting anything more is foolish. The Mustang's aren't supposed to compete with a car with balsa wood being used as a core of the floor. They've never handled well. I don't understand why people would start believing they magically will. I personally don't want a Mustang that handles well, it takes the fun out of the whole challenge behind driving one. If you want something that handles for around 40K go buy a Lotus and quit your female dogin' around here.
Old 5/3/06, 06:05 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(crazyhorse @ May 3, 2006, 7:15 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>We should all be thanking Ford for making the fastest and likely best handling Mustang ever while still keeping it $25-30K cheaper than the Z06.
[/b][/quote]

Not after the market adjustments take their tolls. The Ford GT was slated to cost, what, $150k? I've seen 'em with the price adjustment cost another $40,000. That's about a 27% increase. So let's say market adjustments of just 15% apply to the GT500. A $38,000 car will now cost $43,700. Plus I'm sure dealers will even charge more. It's going to be expensive, but still cheaper than a better performing Z06.

Just as long as it has floor mats.
Old 5/3/06, 08:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(crazyhorse @ May 3, 2006, 5:15 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]

I am thankful that the Mustang nameplate just exists these days, and as far as the 500hp Shelby is concerned? I am blown away that its even going to be available! For alot of people their Mustang is just a step on to other things, for those of us that are Mustang ENTHUSIASTS, we do thank Ford for this car and can't wait to see it in person. Mustang is not about sports car attributes, never has been! I agree with your post sir. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 5/3/06, 08:45 AM

wow! i hope it can beat the zo6 ..but i doubt it can because the zo6's power/weight rato is amazing followed by a 427 and awesome areo dynamics
Old 5/3/06, 09:43 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Good luck beating the Z06
but they are different kinds of cars...

Other than being over 500hp and having 4 wheels..they aren't in the same league...

...THats the Ford GTs job

Some mod work...will help though [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
Old 5/3/06, 09:43 AM
Team Mustang Source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bingo @ May 3, 2006, 7:08 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Not after the market adjustments take their tolls. The Ford GT was slated to cost, what, $150k? I've seen 'em with the price adjustment cost another $40,000. That's about a 27% increase. So let's say market adjustments of just 15% apply to the GT500. A $38,000 car will now cost $43,700. Plus I'm sure dealers will even charge more. It's going to be expensive, but still cheaper than a better performing Z06.

Just as long as it has floor mats.
[/b][/quote]
The market adjustments will die. They always do. Even the Z06 had them to start with. The Ford Gt was selling at sticker late in the game, too.
Old 5/3/06, 10:41 AM
GT Member

I'll be giving rides for just 5 bucks each. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
That should cover the cost of the gas to get up to 55 mph or so.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Knight @ May 2, 2006, 6:26 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
i'm kinda disappointed at the 6250 redline. it seems like the the 4v cobra motor has been losing revs ever since 96. wasn't the redline 7200 back then.
[/b][/quote]

Technically, the redline was advertised at 7000, but it would cut out at 7200, IIRC.
Old 5/3/06, 11:13 AM

yea, the GT500 might be bit heavier than the Z06 and the Viper and not quite as nimble as those however, if I had enough money to buy a fully optioned, top grade Viper (which would mean I could afford any of the 3 cars) I'd opt for the GT500. Yes, I'm a blue oval fanatic but I'd rather be able to take 3 of my friends along for a ride instead of just one at a time. The car listed as for what I drive is an 89 Ranger. I could take one person along with me. I need to change that car as my car is now my 1964 Fairlane 500 (finally back on the road after six years of restoration) and I can take at least 3 of my friends.

Plus, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the GT500 have a bigger trunk than the Vette and Viper?

In my opinion, the GT500 is not only more practical, but includes room for two more people and from what I've heard will cost quite a deal less than the Z06 and Viper which can only car two people to begin with

If you want a more competitve GT500, you need to get rid of some stuff. Power windows, air conditioning, power mirrors, power locks, stereo system, premium seats, and the like all add a ton of weight. People look at my 64 Fairlane and think it weighs sooooo incredibly much but the truth of the matter is it really doesn't. It's curb weight is roughly 2800 lbs.

Compared to:

Lotus Elise (aluminum body, much smaller than my Fairlane) 1984lbs
2007 Camry CE/LE w/4 cylinder manual: 3,263lbs
Chevy Cobalt coupe: 2,991lbs

Even the Vette is considerably heavier than my Fairlane at 3,179lbs.

The thing with my car that makes it so light is it has very little of the creature comforts we take for granted today.

If you want a true performance car, you have to sacrifice personal comfort to an extent. Personally, I like the GT500 the way it is, except for the tailights and "SHELBY" badge on back. The GT-H has the lettering going across the trunklid.
Old 5/3/06, 12:47 PM
Cobra Member

How about a 400hp Mach1 for $33K? Make it happen boys!
Old 5/3/06, 03:44 PM

500hp at only 9lbs at that! anyone care to calculate what a 15lbs pully set-up will be good for? that's definitely not a bad over-all price tag for a Z06 killa
Old 5/3/06, 03:51 PM
FR500 Member

Chee, what's wrong with wishing the GT500 could be better? Not like I'll be able to buy one sooner or later or ever. OK, I'll phrase it this way - if Ford let it have "only" 450hp or 475hp - would that be enough? Is 500hp enough? For those who say it is good enough, I suppose they don't have plans to mod for more power at some point? Or improve it by adding something, say, GT's aluminum block? I just happen to prefer high performance through lighter weight. IMO the Shelby vehicles that made the name famous - Shelby GT350SR (Corvette-killer), 289 & 427 Cobra, & Daytona coupe (European GT car-killer) were light(er) weight cars. So even if this GT500 lives for 1/4mile blasts, lighter weight would still have benefits in this area as well.
Old 5/3/06, 07:08 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Knight @ May 2, 2006, 4:26 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
i'm kinda disappointed at the 6250 redline.[/b][/quote]

Given the insanely long 4.165" stroke that the 5.4L has I'd be afraid to rev it any higher than 6250.

The 5.4L has as much much piston travel at 6,250 RPM as the 4.6L does at 7,350 RPM. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/eek.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/eek.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/eek.gif[/img]

On top of that the heavier moving mass in the 5.4L from it's longer rods and higher offset crankshaft means the guts of the 5.4 are really zinging around @ 6250 RPM! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon24.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon24.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon24.gif[/img]
Old 5/3/06, 07:10 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hi5.0 @ May 3, 2006, 5:54 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
... Is 500hp enough? For those who say it is good enough, I suppose they don't have plans to mod for more power at some point?
[/b][/quote]
It could be 700hp and some would want more. It's human nature. That's why we landed on the moon.

In reality, 400hp is more than sufficient so 500hp is enough, more than enough.
Old 5/3/06, 07:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

You know, considering the GT500 is just a GT with a better engine and wheels, let's say we do the same mods to it that we did to our GT's--namely, lower it for better handling, remove some unnecessary weight (sway bar and radiator support), add UDPs, replace control arms, axle or cat-back exhaust, and a good tune, and this thing is beyond 600HP right? The way I see it, Ford is selling a barebones supercar kit for darn cheap!!!

Think about it, some of you guys have put $10K into your GT's, and for roughly $4K and some greasemonkey time, you can completely blow away a Z06 or Viper!! You might even start thinking about knocking off a Ferrari or two while you're at it. Point is, from the V-6 to the GT500, these cars are designed to be "tweaked" upward pretty easily for relatively little cost. GT500 fits the same mold, but you get the GT engine, forged internals, and a S/C for around $40K? Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't some of you pay that much for a Mystichrome SVT Cobra a little ways back? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img]

-Darth

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/starwars.gif[/img]
Old 5/3/06, 08:23 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darth Stang @ May 3, 2006, 10:02 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
... Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't some of you pay that much for a Mystichrome SVT Cobra a little ways back?
[/b][/quote]

Keep in mind the MC option was $3K. I have a friend who bought a silver vert for $32K 6 months later. Mine had a $5K AMV. I almost rofl laughing. I offered $1K over invoice. 5 minutes later my offer was "reluctantly" accepted. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img]

They probably knew the rebates would become effective 3 weeks later... those BASTARDoS!!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/mad.gif[/img]

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]
Old 5/3/06, 10:30 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(V10 @ May 3, 2006, 8:11 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Given the insanely long 4.165" stroke that the 5.4L has I'd be afraid to rev it any higher than 6250.

The 5.4L has as much much piston travel at 6,250 RPM as the 4.6L does at 7,350 RPM. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/eek.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/eek.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/eek.gif[/img]

On top of that the heavier moving mass in the 5.4L from it's longer rods and higher offset crankshaft means the guts of the 5.4 are really zinging around @ 6250 RPM! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon24.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon24.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon24.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]
are you kidding me? if a company can make a 12.7L V8 rev to ahve a 8000rpm redline.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cfm/newsI...limited-edition

and Chevys LS7 also has a 4" stroke and has a 7000 rpm redline.

why can't ford build a 5.4L engine that revs to 6500rpm or 7000rpm?

Comparing piston speed between the 4.6 and the 5.4 means nothing. whos to say that the piston speed of the 4.6 is anywhere near its limits?

also a Ford GT redlines at 6500...so what gives?
Old 5/4/06, 02:32 AM
Closet American

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Shelby Roadster @ May 2, 2006, 6:58 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Good for the smile factor, bad for the insurance factor. These cars are going to be expensive to insure..
[/b][/quote]
Not to mention to fuel, especially at 8 to 12 mpg on premium fuel.

Definitely not a daily driver.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(arc05 @ May 3, 2006, 5:06 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I personally don't want a Mustang that handles well, it takes the fun out of the whole challenge behind driving one. If you want something that handles for around 40K go buy a Lotus and quit your female dogin' around here.
[/b][/quote]
Way to aim high. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(blackened @ May 3, 2006, 2:47 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
that's definitely not a bad over-all price tag for a Z06 killa
[/b][/quote]
Z06 killa...?

Not in this lifetime, sorry.
Old 5/4/06, 05:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Trey @ May 3, 2006, 2:48 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
wow! i hope it can beat the zo6 ..but i doubt it can because the zo6's power/weight rato is amazing followed by a 427 and awesome areo dynamics
[/b][/quote]

Trey, I understand where you're coming from.......but WHO cares [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img] This is a real Heritage cars for ford lovers. The two are really not meant to be in the same league, IMHO.
Old 5/4/06, 08:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Not to mention its the only REAL production musclecar being manufactured today

Quick Reply: 2007 Ford Shelby GT500 Officially Rated at 500 Horsepower