Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

You know you have a real S197 Mustang steering wheel in your hands when...

Search this Thread

Old 1/14/14, 05:25 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
You know you have a real S197 Mustang steering wheel in your hands when...

You can spot that little molding imperfection at "12 o'clock" on the center section!

I couldn't believe it when I traded in my 2009 and picked up my 2011 and the bump was still there.

Why did they never fix that?
Attached Thumbnails You know you have a real S197 Mustang steering wheel in your hands when...-2012-ford-mustang-boss-302-steering-wheel-photo-400429-s-1280x782.jpg  
Old 1/14/14, 05:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 2013 has it and drives me crazy
Old 1/14/14, 05:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I figured it was the seam where it would separate to allow the airbag to come thru in a wreck, but don't want to test that particular theory
Old 1/14/14, 05:51 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Kalb
I figured it was the seam where it would separate to allow the airbag to come thru in a wreck, but don't want to test that particular theory
I agree. I think its for the airbag
Old 1/14/14, 05:52 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Kalb
Hmmm...that could be the case.
Still, you'd think they could hide that.
Old 1/14/14, 11:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

yes, it's a perforation/slit cut into the plastic for the airbag to properly deploy.
I would be more concerned if it wasn't there!
Old 1/14/14, 12:03 PM
V6 Member

I always wondered where the metal pony disk is going to end up if the airbag deploys!
Old 1/14/14, 12:26 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^ pony disk ended up as show piece on my office table... the top portion of the cup opens up during the deployment but will not fly off as the lower portion holds it. after i was in a collision few months back... i ended up removing the pony disk.
Old 1/14/14, 02:10 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
I haven't noticed that on mine. Probably will next time I get in the car thanks to this thread and it will then drive me nuts
Old 1/14/14, 02:27 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bones302
yes, it's a perforation/slit cut into the plastic for the airbag to properly deploy.
I would be more concerned if it wasn't there!
Old 1/14/14, 06:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by MRGTX
Hmmm...that could be the case.
Still, you'd think they could hide that.

They could, but then again I can name about 50 things that Ford could have easily done to fix minor little irritations, but they don't bother. For instance, Ford could have used about 50 cents worth or padded tape anywhere hard plastic meets metal in the interior. That simply little addition would have eliminated about 90% of the interior rattles for just 50 cents per car, but Ford can't be bothered.
Old 1/15/14, 10:41 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Moustang
They could, but then again I can name about 50 things that Ford could have easily done to fix minor little irritations, but they don't bother. For instance, Ford could have used about 50 cents worth or padded tape anywhere hard plastic meets metal in the interior. That simply little addition would have eliminated about 90% of the interior rattles for just 50 cents per car, but Ford can't be bothered.
So you're suggesting that Ford, knowing it would cost so very little to fix--as you put it--90% of the interior rattles and knowing it would make every customer happier in doing so...instead said, "ah, **** it. Happy customers aren't worth $0.50/car."

Old 1/15/14, 12:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by kcoTiger
So you're suggesting that Ford, knowing it would cost so very little to fix--as you put it--90% of the interior rattles and knowing it would make every customer happier in doing so...instead said, "ah, **** it. Happy customers aren't worth $0.50/car."

hahaha I'd rather have the 412 consistent HP than spending an 'extra .50 cents' for the car.
Old 1/15/14, 01:08 PM
GT Member

Love the answer for this, never thought of that. It did kinda "bug" me since day 1, just looks so imperfect I should have known there'd be a good reason for it...
Old 1/16/14, 09:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Precisely.

That's why the chrome rings in the dash are only pressed in with no adhesive or padding too. Little rattles are allowed because 50 cents per car means millions of dollars per year, and they are more concerned about maximizing profits than they are a few complaints about dash rattles.

Want more examples of Ford being cheap to save a few pennies per car?

Look under the dash at the carpet. How much do you think it would cost to make that carpet go 4 inches higher so it doesn't look like this:

What would it cost to make that look right? Maybe $1?

Now try this....

Lower your steering wheel as low as possible. Reach into the gap between the steering column and your dash, and lift and pull. Notice how the entire dash comes right out? Virtually all dash rattles are the result of that piece or the two chrome rings around the gauges not being secured. They are just held in with friction, nothing more. Stop the pieces from moving and you stop the rattles. Four to six 1/4 inch screws would hold that piece in tight, and a few drops of glue to secure the chrome rings would stop almost all dash rattles. How much do you think four to six 1/4 inch screws and a couple of drops of glue cost? Maybe a dime?

You don't know much about how these cars are really put together, do you?

I worked in the service department of a dealership. Do you know how we fix interior rattles? Find where the rattle is and put a piece of padded tape between the two pieces that are touching each other.

Yep, that's all we do. A couple of pennies worth of material, but since people like you usually don't complain about minor car interior rattles Ford doesn't want to spend the money to fix it on every car. It's much cheaper for Ford to wait until you complain and then have someone like me put the tape in than it is to put the tape in every car whether the owner complains or not.

Last edited by Moustang; 1/16/14 at 09:17 AM.
Old 1/16/14, 09:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by JPMotorSport
hahaha I'd rather have the 412 consistent HP than spending an 'extra .50 cents' for the car.

You believe that if you spend an extra .50 cents per car that would reduce the horsepower?

:s crewy::scr ewy:
Old 1/16/14, 10:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
How awesome would it be for there to be Cheap-Delete option.
Umm yeah I'd like to order a '14 GT... With track pack, Recaros, Cheap-Delete including more adhesives and sound deadening along soft touches on everything. lol
Old 1/16/14, 11:24 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Moustang
Precisely.

That's why the chrome rings in the dash are only pressed in with no adhesive or padding too. Little rattles are allowed because 50 cents per car means millions of dollars per year, and they are more concerned about maximizing profits than they are a few complaints about dash rattles.

Want more examples of Ford being cheap to save a few pennies per car?

Look under the dash at the carpet. How much do you think it would cost to make that carpet go 4 inches higher so it doesn't look like this:

What would it cost to make that look right? Maybe $1?

Now try this....

Lower your steering wheel as low as possible. Reach into the gap between the steering column and your dash, and lift and pull. Notice how the entire dash comes right out? Virtually all dash rattles are the result of that piece or the two chrome rings around the gauges not being secured. They are just held in with friction, nothing more. Stop the pieces from moving and you stop the rattles. Four to six 1/4 inch screws would hold that piece in tight, and a few drops of glue to secure the chrome rings would stop almost all dash rattles. How much do you think four to six 1/4 inch screws and a couple of drops of glue cost? Maybe a dime?

You don't know much about how these cars are really put together, do you?

I worked in the service department of a dealership. Do you know how we fix interior rattles? Find where the rattle is and put a piece of padded tape between the two pieces that are touching each other.

Yep, that's all we do. A couple of pennies worth of material, but since people like you usually don't complain about minor car interior rattles Ford doesn't want to spend the money to fix it on every car. It's much cheaper for Ford to wait until you complain and then have someone like me put the tape in than it is to put the tape in every car whether the owner complains or not.
Most of what you said is nonsense, or near enough as makes no difference, but what I will say is this: to fix all the crap people ***** about regarding a Mustang would cost Ford far more than $0.50 per car--which was my point. As you made clear with your post, it's not just the padded tape that you would want. You'd want more carpet. You'd want something...not exactly sure what...that somehow disguises the fact that the entire car isn't made out of one solid piece of plastic/metal/glass/carpet. Isn't gonna happen, #1, and #2, even if it did...you and people like yourself would find reasons to ***** about it anyway.
Old 1/16/14, 12:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Most of what you said is nonsense, or near enough as makes no difference, but what I will say is this: to fix all the crap people ***** about regarding a Mustang would cost Ford far more than $0.50 per car--which was my point. As you made clear with your post, it's not just the padded tape that you would want. You'd want more carpet. You'd want something...not exactly sure what...that somehow disguises the fact that the entire car isn't made out of one solid piece of plastic/metal/glass/carpet. Isn't gonna happen, #1, and #2, even if it did...you and people like yourself would find reasons to ***** about it anyway.

The only "nonsense" here is coming from you who suddenly found that you had to change your "point" entirely once I showed how wrong your original "point" was, which is why your "point" magically changed from interior rattles to EVERYTHING people complain about. After all, you couldn't magically increased the cost if you just stuck with the interior rattles that can be fixed with tape, could you?

Nope nope, not man enough to admit you're wrong, so try the next childish tactic of moving the goal posts and changing you "point" to something that you pray will make you look more right than your easily disproven original claim.

Fact is Ford allows cheap, easy fixes to go unfixed and implements poor quality control simply because it's cheaper than to do the job right. In the vast majority of cases the solution would cost pennies per car, but that's pennies Ford just doesn't want to spend. And why should they when people like you would rather put up with the halfassed job and make excuses for Ford than expect and demand a quality product?

Go ahead and give it a shot if you're smart. Try to explain why my original claim was wrong and why 90% of interior rattles cannot be fixed with 50 cents worth of padded tape. Give me good, solid technical reasons based on facts and experience, not just some childish claim that it's nonsense or even a more childish behavior of trying to change the subject. Let's see if you can do that, shall we?

Last edited by Moustang; 1/16/14 at 12:53 PM.
Old 1/17/14, 07:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

what the hell happened?! we were talking about the crease on the steering wheel and the train flew off the tracks right after.

Quick Reply: You know you have a real S197 Mustang steering wheel in your hands when...