Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Would the S-197 look better as a full/true fastback ?

Search this Thread

Old 1/3/08, 08:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rhumb
Yeah, both the 1st and 2nd gen Stang fastbacks had great rooflines, as did the 3rd ('69-'70) for that matter. But again, I think well get a '99 level refresh that will essentially retain the current greenhouse.

As for hatchbacks, well designed ones can be light and stiff, and not douse the rare rear seat passengers in the rare windy squall (first time I've heard that as an issue!). My '94 Probe GT hatchback is very light, very stiff and very tight with nary a peep from the hatch area, and has never put a drop on anyone's pate to my recollection. In comparison to it's betrunked platform mate, the Mazda MX-6, I found the Probe to be, if anything, a touch stiffer and tighter body wise, just as quiet and of about identical weights. Cost less than an MX-6 too, though that starts getting a bit apples and oranges.

Basically, as with any feature, its just good engineering that makes or breaks it.

My M3 coupe does have pop open windows, though, to be honest, I can't really tell any advantage (from the driver's seat at least) in terms of ventilation or anything. Perhaps back in the day when AC was less common.
rhumb: Thorough, precise, insightful reply, rhumb! And as m05fastbackGT noted, the current S197 roofline will be with us for awhile--and that's good! The resurrection of the '66 G.T. 350 roofline & C-pillar windows was a brilliant touch by the talented Hau Tai Tang!
Er, make that Hau Tai (Mus)Tang...

Give me the Giugiaro concept with the stock S197 sheetmetal forward of the doors and I will never own another car as long as I live.

We had pop open back windows on an Accord hatchback coupe we once had, and they were a plus on that car as it was not air-conditioned. We did not open them often, but then we rarely rode in the backseat--the kids in their carseats typically rode back there, and they never complained about being too hot. OTOH, we lived in The OC at the time where we never saw frost once in over eleven years and temps in the nineties or higher only during Fall's Santa Ana winds. The hatchback gave only the typical pneumatic lift problems, and never rattled IIRC.

Full fastback rooflines are beautiful--I loved the looks of my '69 Merc Cyclone CJ428 Ram-Air fastback, although the dark paint made it look less sleek than the same car in a light color. Although the distance from the rear extremity of the CJ's trunk to the back of the (non-fold-down) back seat was great, the trunk held disappointingly little--and loading the long, shallow trunk through the diminutive trunklid was a chore anytime and a royal pain sometimes. A hatchback woulda made that car!
Old 1/4/08, 07:44 AM
Bullitt Member

This thread is right on the money, I really hope this is the direction Ford takes with the next major redesign.....
Old 1/6/08, 07:58 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Having a 68 fastback and an 06 I feel the need to chime in here. I think Ford got the current body style right on. You all have done some great chops and I think the side views look really good. My problem is the rear views. I'll restate what others have already said........it's too boxy......................looks great from the side and looks like a hatchback from the rear. A fastback could be achieved, but some other aspects of the car will need to be changed as well to make it flow.
Old 1/6/08, 09:16 AM
Bullitt Member

Eh, never been that much of a fastback fan. As is is good enough for me. However, I would like to see somebody come out with a more coupe looking model. Something along the lines of what a vert looks like with the top up, but as a hardtop.
Old 1/6/08, 10:10 AM

for those of you who arent familiar with thie article that came out kenny brown made a fast back custom here are a few shots

http://www.fordpower.net/gallery/sho...00/ppuser/9796

the pics dont do it justice though. i saw it up close and personal and it looks amazing.
Old 1/6/08, 10:11 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The greenhouse as is looks fantastic now. The tricky part about tinkering with the S-197 styling is that its very, very easy to screw the whole car up. Even now, the more you add to the core body, the worse it looks. The KB version looks like the Rosie O'Donnell edition Mustang. Absolute crap. And you can't have more of an abomination then the Giugiaro concept. That looks like a concept car from 1986.
Old 1/6/08, 12:29 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 05madmax
for those of you who arent familiar with thie article that came out kenny brown made a fast back custom here are a few shots

http://www.fordpower.net/gallery/sho...00/ppuser/9796

the pics dont do it justice though. i saw it up close and personal and it looks amazing.
For me, that's the best looking change on the current style Mustang I've seen. Looks like a beast that could kick you know what!
Old 1/6/08, 04:27 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,983 Likes on 1,607 Posts
Originally Posted by elcaminoguy
Great effort on the photoshop work.
But still, I think we're getting into Supra territory here. For one thing the S197 is not as massive as the 70 to 73's and all that extra sheetmetal back there just makes the S197 look butt-heavy.

To make a fastback work I think you'd have to stretch the S197 about another foot to make it work right.

The problem isn't due to the S-197's overall length. But it's actually the greenhouse itself, which needs to be stretched. This can be accomplished by switching the angles of the A-Pillar posts, and moving them forward. Then gradually angle the slope of the roofline, into the rear decklid.
Old 1/6/08, 05:09 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,983 Likes on 1,607 Posts
As for the Kenny Brown concept. I completely agree with Kevin. It looks like total crap, especially from the rear. As both the trunk, and rear window area look way too butt heavy and flat. thus exaggerate the car's high waisted beltline, even further than it already is..
Old 1/6/08, 11:11 PM

yea like i said the pics dont do it justice. when i saw it in person it just looks badass and definitely a reminesence of the retro mach and boss