Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Would a 2011 V6 with the Performance Pack handle the same as the 5.0?

Search this Thread

Old 8/26/10, 11:46 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would a 2011 V6 with the Performance Pack handle the same as the 5.0?

Would a 2011 V6 with the Performance Pack handle about the same or even better than the 5.0? It seems to me that the V6 w/ PP is basically a 5.0 without the V8 and Brembos. It should handle the same or even slightly better because of less weight and better weight distribution.

I'm just curious because the 5.0 has been getting absolutely stellar reviews (like the recent MT comparo with the M3). While the V6 gets good reviews, I wouldn't call them stellar (see Edmunds, or the one on Autoblog where it placed behind both the 370z and Genesis Coupe). If the handling dynamics of both cars are very similar, and the V6 is just down a little on power (and I say a little because it's not like the difference between an M3 and a 328i), why aren't the automobile mags as smitten with the V6??? Throw in the 5-7K price difference depending on options, and it's even more puzzling to me...
Old 8/26/10, 12:06 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The V6PP cars have tested as good or better in all performance numbers as the GT except of course for acceleration. Slightly higher lateral G's, and slightly shorter stopping distances as a matter of fact.
Old 8/26/10, 01:48 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
The V6PP cars have tested as good or better in all performance numbers as the GT except of course for acceleration. Slightly higher lateral G's, and slightly shorter stopping distances as a matter of fact.
Exactly! And these same auto publications don't ever seem to ding cars like the 328i or A5 2.0T for having less power. The V6 Mustang would rape both of those cars 0-60, get better fuel mileage (on regular gas too!), and cost up to half as much depending on options.
Old 8/26/10, 02:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by hpaddict
Exactly! And these same auto publications don't ever seem to ding cars like the 328i or A5 2.0T for having less power. The V6 Mustang would rape both of those cars 0-60, get better fuel mileage (on regular gas too!), and cost up to half as much depending on options.
Thus the reason I chose a Mustang V6 with Performance Package. I looked really, really hard and couldn't find anything around $30k with this combination of performance, reliability, interior finish, options (gadgets) and looks. Unless of course you go the used car route which I was not ready to do.
Old 8/26/10, 03:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

The Brembo is more than just brakes.

You get the base GT Suspension + base GT Brakes + Pzero Max Performance Summer Tires (Same tires as Brembo) on 19 x 8.5 Wheels.

Essentially a GT with better tires and less nose weight.
Old 8/26/10, 03:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by newpony
Thus the reason I chose a Mustang V6 with Performance Package. I looked really, really hard and couldn't find anything around $30k with this combination of performance, reliability, interior finish, options (gadgets) and looks. Unless of course you go the used car route which I was not ready to do.
Its all in what you want. I value performance over luxury so chose a $28,000 GT over a more optioned V6.
If I my budget had been lower a V6PP Base would have been on my shopping list.
They are both great cars for the money that dominate (in my opinion) their price category.
Old 8/26/10, 04:18 PM
Cobra R Member

Have you driven the new V6? While it has 300hp it still felt mundane to me. Call me crazy, I guess. However, it didn't have the performance pack. I'm sure the PP sixxer handles very well.

Given the choice of a V6 Mustang, 370Z, or Genesis - I would pick the V6 Mustang last. The 370Z and Genesis are also more expensive.

Last edited by Adam; 8/26/10 at 04:22 PM.
Old 8/26/10, 04:40 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Adam
Have you driven the new V6? While it has 300hp it still felt mundane to me. Call me crazy, I guess. However, it didn't have the performance pack. I'm sure the PP sixxer handles very well.

Given the choice of a V6 Mustang, 370Z, or Genesis - I would pick the V6 Mustang last. The 370Z and Genesis are also more expensive.
Yeah, I test drove the new V6. From an acceleration standpoint, I'd say it felt about the same as the 2005 GT I used to own. It was the standard gear ratio, so I think with the higher gear ratio of the PP I might have liked it even more more.

I've driven the previous gen Z when it was called the 350, and I'd pick the new Mustang over that model. The 350Z just never felt that fast to me. I hear the new 370Z is an excellent car that's an improvement on almost every aspect, but I've never driven it. Overall I'm sure it's a better sports car than the Mustang, but it does cost quite a bit more and have worse fuel economy.

On paper I really loved the Genesis, but I wasn't so impressed when I drove it. The ride was a little too harsh for my taste. Acceleration was good, but it should be about the same as the Mustang since their 0-60 times are very comparable.

Overall, I'm just very very impressed by the V6 Mustang! I can't think of any other car at that price with the same combination of style, performance, and fuel economy.
Old 8/26/10, 04:57 PM
Cobra Member

The 370Z's performance target in development was the Porsche Cayman. It shouldn't be compared to the Genesis or the Mustang. If you had to compare it against a Mustang it's performance is much more on par with the V8 than the V6, but either way it's not a good comparison. Most 370Z buyers are cross-shopping with the Cayman, Boxster (roadster buyers), Corvette, etc. The few that cross-shop with the Mustang (I did back in 2009) cross shop with the GT.

It's an outright sports car. I never understood why the rags felt the need to compare it to sport coupes (and in said comparos probably knock a few points off of the Z's score for not having enough passenger space ).

I doubt the V6 Stang will get much media praise simply because it's overshadowed by the big 5.0 which is just a stunning performer. But that certainly doesn't make it a bad car. It's finally got some power behind it. It spend so long with weak power plants that most of the world probably still thinks a V6 Mustang is some 16 second piece of junk (I had a 2002 3.8 auto!) so they will be surprised when they encounter a 3.7 packing 305hp+.
Old 8/26/10, 05:13 PM
GTR Member

Yeah, I test drove the new V6. From an acceleration standpoint, I'd say it felt about the same as the 2005 GT I used to own. It was the standard gear ratio, so I think with the higher gear ratio of the PP I might have liked it even more more.
Performance Package has a LOWER gear ratio than the standard gear.

3.31:1 is a lower ratio than 2.73:1.

3.31 ratio takes more turns of the pinion gear to make one turn of the ring gear making it a lower ratio gear.

Higher numerically but lower ratio.

Anyway, I agree that the comparison with a Z is off since they are two different types of cars, two seat sports car to 4 seat pony car.

As to the hyundai, it is a slick looking car and has lots of content but I didn't fit in the thing very well at all, not a good car for a 6'2" guy, probably a lot better for someone 5'8" to 5'10" but too cramped up for me.

I'll take the car that can be had for way less than $30K, is capable of mid to high 13 second 1/4 mile runs and can get 30 MPG. Sounds like a new 2011 Mustang V6 to me...

Last edited by Ltngdrvr; 8/26/10 at 05:15 PM.
Old 8/26/10, 05:27 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by m4a1mustang
The 370Z's performance target in development was the Porsche Cayman. It shouldn't be compared to the Genesis or the Mustang. If you had to compare it against a Mustang it's performance is much more on par with the V8 than the V6, but either way it's not a good comparison. Most 370Z buyers are cross-shopping with the Cayman, Boxster (roadster buyers), Corvette, etc. The few that cross-shop with the Mustang (I did back in 2009) cross shop with the GT.
I participated in a Mustang research study hosted by Ford and the 370Z was brought up on more than one occasion. IMO, it's definitely a direct competitor of the Mustang and obviously Ford feels the same way.
Old 8/26/10, 05:35 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Adam
I participated in a Mustang research study hosted by Ford and the 370Z was brought up on more than one occasion. IMO, it's definitely a direct competitor of the Mustang and obviously Ford feels the same way.
I think they do that because it's in the same price range as the Z so they need to cover their bases. And I'm a Mustang guy so of course I looked at the Mustang.

But if you were to survey 370Z owners you'd find that only a few of them actually seriously considered a Mustang. Most of them either upgraded from 350s or were considering other 2-seat sports cars.

For those of us that looked at the Mustang, we ended up choosing the Z because, at the time, the 370 was the better buy when compared to the 2010 GT. It was the better performer in all categories. But now as the 2011s roll out... here we are.
Old 8/26/10, 08:51 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Performance Package has a LOWER gear ratio than the standard gear.

3.31:1 is a lower ratio than 2.73:1.

3.31 ratio takes more turns of the pinion gear to make one turn of the ring gear making it a lower ratio gear.

Higher numerically but lower ratio.
Sorry, that's what I meant to say -- higher numerically but lower ratio. Just to confirm, the 3.31 would improve acceleration, but decrease gas mileage? Would you know by about how much for both?
Old 8/26/10, 08:59 PM
Cobra Member

Tough to say. I can tell you when I had my 2003 GT I changed from the stock 3.27 to 4.10 and went from about 29mpg highway to 22. City mileage will likely remain unchanged with a lower gear, but highway mileage is going to decrease because you're cruising at a higher RPM.
Old 8/26/10, 09:06 PM
GTR Member

Sorry, that's what I meant to say -- higher numerically but lower ratio. Just to confirm, the 3.31 would improve acceleration, but decrease gas mileage? Would you know by about how much for both?
Improvement in acceleration, about 3-4 tenths in the 1/4.

Fuel economy loss, maybe 1/2-3/4 MPG.

Just my guess.
Old 8/26/10, 11:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,512 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Like they said, V6 PP should handle better than 5.0

Just for grins, I'd like to see the V6 PP in the same track test that they did on the 5.0 and BMW . . . I know it wouldn't be as fast in the straights, but wonder how much it would make up with better handling in the corners
Old 8/27/10, 10:33 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Bert
Like they said, V6 PP should handle better than 5.0

Just for grins, I'd like to see the V6 PP in the same track test that they did on the 5.0 and BMW . . . I know it wouldn't be as fast in the straights, but wonder how much it would make up with better handling in the corners
It's not that much better on handling, like .01 G on the skidpad so it wouldn't make up any ground on a brembo GT that you would be able to notice.
Old 8/27/10, 03:06 PM
V6 Member

If you look through this site along with others, you will see many compairsons to BMW's M3. Although this is very flattering to the Mustang, I seriously doubt anyone ready to spend 65-75K for the BMW is even remotely considering the Mustang. Which is to bad. I have owned BMW's and Mustangs (Along with countless other cars, being very old) My 2001 Bullitt, which is turning 10 this coming year, is at least as entertaining and Reliable as any car I have ever owned. So excuse me as I am going out and head to the nearest Freeway onramp....I Love Freeway onramps...