2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Is it worth upgrading? (V6 to GT)

Search this Thread

Old 5/17/12, 10:34 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You've been given a lot of really good options from the other members here. Let me add to that a bit and give you my opinion...

First: I traded my Lexus ES300 (telescoping steering wheel) in on a brand new 2011 BMW 335ix with 300hp. I had heard wonderful things about BMW, and I'm confident they make a great car. I kept it for 10 months, drove it 5,400 miles, and hated it every time I looked at it in the garage and drove it on the highway. It was the sedan, and the back seat was spacious. That's a great thing on the rare occasions my wife and I take our grandchildren anywhere. But the rear visibility was horrible. I nearly drove right into a semi at 70 mph on an entry ramp because I couldn't see him coming. Scared me. Plus, ever time I got in the car I felt that the leather interior (add $2,000) was a poor grade. It was rough and stiff. It boiled down to this: For $57,000, I should have loved that car. But I didn't.

So: After 10 months, I traded it in on a 2012 GT. And I absolutely love it. The manual transmission and the 412hp makes every outing a real driving experience rather than the thoughtless act of getting from point A to point B in a vehicle with a propeller emblem on the hood and trunk. Also, the interior of my Gt is far and away superior to the BMW. Hands down. But purchasing the Mustang wasn't an impulse decision. I drove a lot of imports prior to picking my favorite including the Infiniti G37 coupe. (Very nice car, but much more expensive than the Mustang and with less power.) I drove the Audi A4 with its anemic 2.0L engine. (Great interior, but no power.) I considered a Mercedes SLK (for the sport look) but they don't believe leather interior is something we should have without charging us out the yingyang for it, not to mention the astronomical maintenance fees they charge. From a visibility standpoint, the Camaro sucked and I didn't like the interior or the instrument panel on it.

Then I drove the Mustang. I started out with the V6 and was pretty much blown away. The body is gorgeous, almost a classic retro sports car look. I was sold. Then when I test drove the GT, that cinched it. I wanted one. But I didn't pull the plug until I did more research online. Everything I read was a positive. The fact that it doesn't have front wheel drive was a bit of an issue, but when I figured how many days a year we have impassable roads, I considered it a non-issue. The reviews from every source were excellent.

It was at that point I made my decision, and I feel like I got a real bargain in the process. Keep in mind that this was February. The new models were coming and dealers were willing to negotiate. I wanted a Sterling Gray GT with manual, comfort package, and premium interior. There was one dealer in town that had one, but it was on order and would be coming in two weeks. We ran the numbers. The car stickered at just over $38,000. By the time we got through with the discounts, I got it for $30K plus some change. I couldn't say no. And I'm glad I didn't. I've been happy with this car since day one. I enjoy driving it. I even enjoy going to the garage and looking at it before I go to bed at night.

If you like your V6, keep it. It's got more power than 90% of the cars on the road anyway. Plus, it's a lot better looking than most of them. At least keep it for a while, until you decide whether you really want all that shifting during your commute. As others have said, gas mileage isn't great on the V8, but I didn't buy it to save money on gas. Also, we're approaching the 50th anniversary. That may be the car you really should consider. In fact, I may consider buying one of those myself when they come out.

Finally, a telescoping steering wheel isn't something to lose sleep over. My BMW had it, and I think I used it once. No big deal, really.

So there's my opinion, for what it's worth. Whatever you do, I know you'll make the right decision for YOU. And in the end, that's really all that matters.

Keep us informed.

Last edited by SterlingGrayV8; 5/17/12 at 10:43 PM.
Old 5/18/12, 06:09 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by JPMotorSport
LAWL - name another RWD coupe w/ a V8 and manual transmission for under $50,000. Now find one weighing in under 4000 lbs.

Sure I can spend $45,000 on a car with a telescoping steering wheel. And memory seats, keyless entry/start, etc.

But it will probably have the base anemic 4-cylinder turbo. At least it has the 'bigger backseat' though and the blue/white propeller emblem too, right? Eh.

Nothing can be said to convince you otherwise until you get behind the wheel of a new 5.0 GT. On paper it is a very unfair fight actually - but in person, you know the real world - its true, there is simply no replacement for displacement.

You have to be able to answer whether things like 'memory seats' are really that important or if it just gets in the way.

I find I NEVER stick with the position the memory seats 'position' to on my parent's Infiniti anyway. Plus who wants to look like every other tool who got a 'better deal' driving the slower G37 or 328i?
^ this.

Let's not turn this to a v6 vs v8 thread, but for me, power wise, definitely worth getting a v8. But you will lose a lot of dough jumping from a 12 to a 13 that soon. Sounds like you impulse bought the 12?

Also, 45k is way too high for a gt premium. Getting one at invoice is cake.
Old 5/18/12, 06:19 AM

Cool

Originally Posted by HizliBullet
Xplan is 2% over cost, boss and Shelby's don't qualify for xplan
You can get a GT without it being a Boss or Shelby....my wifes new one is a GT Prem...under x-plan...and like the originator of the thread has an auto, due to stop and go daily driving.

Though I do have to admit the V8 is addicting, I tried to get her in the v6 for a DD, but her tBird is a tweaked 4.6 (>7.0 0-70) and very light for it's size. She noticed the missing cylinders in the low end rpm and exhaust note when driving the Mustang v6. But, the mpg is not appreciably different from v6 to v8 in the same conditions...you are pushing the same weight and air resistance, that right foot is the best indicator of current efficiency.

As far as the Euro imports go, she did pick the Mustang over the Jag XFr I tried to get her into. She said the Jag was VERY fast, but the GT was nimble(and fast).

I have a Jag, and have driven the whole line (minus the XKr at 6'4"+ it would not work unless a ragtop with the top down) and love my dealership having had LR's and Jags from there. But, Ford definitely has the edge in quality and value(yeah I know what does a Jag owner care about value...it is style). But, I think my next DD with be from Ford as well, the '13 MKZ with the retractable glass roof. They are editing that detestable cow catcher grill next year, and adding an open roof.
Old 5/18/12, 06:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SterlingGrayV8
You've been given a lot of really good options from the other members here. Let me add to that a bit and give you my opinion...

First: I traded my Lexus ES300 (telescoping steering wheel) in on a brand new 2011 BMW 335ix with 300hp. I had heard wonderful things about BMW, and I'm confident they make a great car. I kept it for 10 months, drove it 5,400 miles, and hated it every time I looked at it in the garage and drove it on the highway. It was the sedan, and the back seat was spacious. That's a great thing on the rare occasions my wife and I take our grandchildren anywhere. But the rear visibility was horrible. I nearly drove right into a semi at 70 mph on an entry ramp because I couldn't see him coming. Scared me. Plus, ever time I got in the car I felt that the leather interior (add $2,000) was a poor grade. It was rough and stiff. It boiled down to this: For $57,000, I should have loved that car. But I didn't.

So: After 10 months, I traded it in on a 2012 GT. And I absolutely love it. The manual transmission and the 412hp makes every outing a real driving experience rather than the thoughtless act of getting from point A to point B in a vehicle with a propeller emblem on the hood and trunk. Also, the interior of my Gt is far and away superior to the BMW. Hands down. But purchasing the Mustang wasn't an impulse decision. I drove a lot of imports prior to picking my favorite including the Infiniti G37 coupe. (Very nice car, but much more expensive than the Mustang and with less power.) I drove the Audi A4 with its anemic 2.0L engine. (Great interior, but no power.) I considered a Mercedes SLK (for the sport look) but they don't believe leather interior is something we should have without charging us out the yingyang for it, not to mention the astronomical maintenance fees they charge. From a visibility standpoint, the Camaro sucked and I didn't like the interior or the instrument panel on it.

Then I drove the Mustang. I started out with the V6 and was pretty much blown away. The body is gorgeous, almost a classic retro sports car look. I was sold. Then when I test drove the GT, that cinched it. I wanted one. But I didn't pull the plug until I did more research online. Everything I read was a positive. The fact that it doesn't have front wheel drive was a bit of an issue, but when I figured how many days a year we have impassable roads, I considered it a non-issue. The reviews from every source were excellent.

It was at that point I made my decision, and I feel like I got a real bargain in the process. Keep in mind that this was February. The new models were coming and dealers were willing to negotiate. I wanted a Sterling Gray GT with manual, comfort package, and premium interior. There was one dealer in town that had one, but it was on order and would be coming in two weeks. We ran the numbers. The car stickered at just over $38,000. By the time we got through with the discounts, I got it for $30K plus some change. I couldn't say no. And I'm glad I didn't. I've been happy with this car since day one. I enjoy driving it. I even enjoy going to the garage and looking at it before I go to bed at night.

If you like your V6, keep it. It's got more power than 90% of the cars on the road anyway. Plus, it's a lot better looking than most of them. At least keep it for a while, until you decide whether you really want all that shifting during your commute. As others have said, gas mileage isn't great on the V8, but I didn't buy it to save money on gas. Also, we're approaching the 50th anniversary. That may be the car you really should consider. In fact, I may consider buying one of those myself when they come out.

Finally, a telescoping steering wheel isn't something to lose sleep over. My BMW had it, and I think I used it once. No big deal, really.

So there's my opinion, for what it's worth. Whatever you do, I know you'll make the right decision for YOU. And in the end, that's really all that matters.

Keep us informed.
This response here should be the end of this thread and where you make your own decision based off the good info in this thread. I too was in this boat, I just came from a G37. I had an 06 GT and after marriage and a baby felt i needed to step up to a sedan but didn't want to lose the power. I test drove everything from the 335i, C350, IS350, A4, Charger R/T (SRT was just not worth it at 13/19 MPG), and so on. I finally decided on the G37 sedan because it had an interior i liked and it had the power to keep me happy. I liked the car, and I had everything you mentioned (memory seats, telescoping wheel, navigation, etc) and the day I totaled that car last month, i didn't miss it, at all.

As soon as I test drove the 12 GT, when I cranked it up and heard that V8 roar from a cold start, it sent chills up my spine. When I got it out on the road, the salesman told me to let it rip. I only hit 4k in 2nd gear and just stopped, I was sold, instantly. There is nothing, i repeat, NOTHING like romping on this engine, it really is a beautiful thing. Sync alone, without the electronics package, is far and away better than the navigation in the Infiniti. Whats funny is I'm getting the SAME MPG as the Sedan and MORE MPG than my friend's G37 Coupe. Not to mention I only need $3.55 87 Octane when she HAS to put in the $4+ 93 octane. The feeling and the savings sold me, but thats ME. YOU have to sit inside one, and I mean don't even bother making your decision until you SIT INSIDE a GT, fire it up, and take it around the corner. Trust me, then you will have no doubt whether you want it or not.
Old 5/18/12, 06:59 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I just wish the price difference between the 6 and 8 had not been so large...my last Mustang was an 87GT and i think the difference between the base and GT was only around 3 grand..now it's over 7 grand. But that being said get the 8 if you can swing it, but I really love my 6 with 6 speed manual and perf package. Would have gotten the 8 if price was closer, I got mine out the door for below 23.5k including all taxes, etc. And I have a car that would blow my 87 Gt away plus 90% or more of the cars on the road, but still gives me decent mpg. Actually i would be totally happy if they could just create a muffler that would make the v6 sound like the 8!!!! The only one to me that sounds decent is the Ford Racing muffler but it still gets a little high pitched in the upper ranges.
Old 5/18/12, 07:45 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by JCStang
I just wish the price difference between the 6 and 8 had not been so large...my last Mustang was an 87GT and i think the difference between the base and GT was only around 3 grand..now it's over 7 grand. But that being said get the 8 if you can swing it, but I really love my 6 with 6 speed manual and perf package. Would have gotten the 8 if price was closer, I got mine out the door for below 23.5k including all taxes, etc. And I have a car that would blow my 87 Gt away plus 90% or more of the cars on the road, but still gives me decent mpg. Actually i would be totally happy if they could just create a muffler that would make the v6 sound like the 8!!!! The only one to me that sounds decent is the Ford Racing muffler but it still gets a little high pitched in the upper ranges.
This is also a good post. I agree, the cash difference between the 6 and 8 is understandable for why one would opt for the 6. Can't lose either way.
Old 5/18/12, 08:18 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FromZto5
This is also a good post. I agree, the cash difference between the 6 and 8 is understandable for why one would opt for the 6. Can't lose either way.
Hey,how many miles do you have on the Kona now? You haven't posted any of those pictures to make us all jealous in a while!!
Old 5/18/12, 08:52 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by JCStang

Hey,how many miles do you have on the Kona now? You haven't posted any of those pictures to make us all jealous in a while!!
Lol...sorry for brief thread derail... I just posted updates to my photshoot thread and just posted a thread for the new spoiler.

Oh and 1700 miles now..Love the car
Old 5/18/12, 03:27 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hellogreg
Interesting how many of you mentioned BMW. Is this really where ford is these days? It's not the first time I heard lately how many BMW buyers are cross shopping to Ford.
I certainly considered the X5 before we got our '11 Explorer. in the end the EX won for comfort, ride and room. But that touchscreen is a big letdown and I hope they won't ever put it in a mustang.
Anyway, back to my original point: here are the random 40-50k alternatives off the cuff. Yes we are comparing apples and oranges but I like them all:
Charger/300c SRT or base hemi, 370z, maybe even a base corvette (almost), used M5, used Z4, used Jag xkr, used 911, or even the new Taurus sho.
I'm right there with you!!! We have a '12 Explorer limited and that MyTouch ... although better after the software update... aggravates the crap out of me. Bluetooth SUCKS!!!
Old 5/18/12, 06:39 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB

I'm right there with you!!! We have a '12 Explorer limited and that MyTouch ... although better after the software update... aggravates the crap out of me. Bluetooth SUCKS!!!
Bluetooth in itself is good. Apple was able to do a decent implementation that is quite user friendly. The opposite of what MyFord touch is.
Please, if anyone at Ford is reading this, do not ever try to shoehorn the current MFT system into a future Mustang, thank you.