Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Worst Clutch Ever?

Search this Thread

Old 8/25/13, 06:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Worst Clutch Ever?

Question for everyone with a 13'-14' manual car.

So my husband and I have drove many manual vehicles. This clutch in this car is horrible. Don't get me wrong we love our Shelby but the clutch doesn't disengage until at the top of the pedal.

Most, wait ALL the other manuals we have both driven have disengaged at the near bottom of the pedal. So what is up with this set up? I wish this clutch was adjustable..... Took it in for the first oil change and the SVT mechanic said that is what you get.

Does it make a difference if short people drive these cars? My husband and myself are 6'2" and I have long legs. I have my seat all the way back (which is very comfortable) I still don't like the disengagement of the clutch. I feel like my knee is going to hit the steering wheel! The clutch disengagement is not comfortable for the vertically inclined.

So is this the common thing in these cars? Can this be changed?

I just hate being so careful at the stop signs to take off and not look like it's the first stick I have drove, ever....... don't want to bunny hop it lol

Is this clutch tricky in the GT's also?

I must say this clutch does take some getting use too! Does anyone else have this problem? Give me your feedback!
The following users liked this post:
Boss12car (8/18/23)
Old 8/25/13, 06:34 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shelby Mama
Question for everyone with a 13'-14' manual car.

So my husband and I have drove many manual vehicles. This clutch in this car is horrible. Don't get me wrong we love our Shelby but the clutch doesn't disengage until at the top of the pedal.

Most, wait ALL the other manuals we have both driven have disengaged at the near bottom of the pedal. So what is up with this set up? I wish this clutch was adjustable..... Took it in for the first oil change and the SVT mechanic said that is what you get.

Does it make a difference if short people drive these cars? My husband and myself are 6'2" and I have long legs. I have my seat all the way back (which is very comfortable) I still don't like the disengagement of the clutch. I feel like my knee is going to hit the steering wheel! The clutch disengagement is not comfortable for the vertically inclined.

So is this the common thing in these cars? Can this be changed?

I just hate being so careful at the stop signs to take off and not look like it's the first stick I have drove, ever....... don't want to bunny hop it lol

Is this clutch tricky in the GT's also?

I must say this clutch does take some getting use too! Does anyone else have this problem? Give me your feedback!
I feel exactly the same. And all of my friends couldn't start my car the first time they try because none of them ever expected the clutch being so far.

And I'm 5'7", I have to sit pretty close to the steering wheel like an old grandmom.
Old 8/25/13, 06:35 PM
GT Member

But don't me wrong. I still love my car.
Old 8/25/13, 06:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by pcpctc520
I feel exactly the same. And all of my friends couldn't start my car the first time they try because none of them ever expected the clutch being so far.

And I'm 5'7", I have to sit pretty close to the steering wheel like an old grandmom.

Funny you say "like an old grandmom." I feel like a grandma taking off from a stop sign, except when I hit 5 grand and shift to second and side step the car....
Old 8/25/13, 06:46 PM
GT Member

When I first pushed the clutch pedal in my car I noticed it's journey to the floor was much longer than I was used to. I'm 5'11 but I started out sitting super close. Nudged the seat back a bit every couple days and I was eventually in my normal driving position.
Old 8/25/13, 07:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
I've got a GT but I would imagine the clutch travel is the same. I'd driven a few different manual cars prior to this one, but never felt like the clutch took any getting used to. Had four different people drive mine with no problems either. Not sure what to tell you on this one!
Old 8/25/13, 09:14 PM
GT Member

I don't have a problem with my GT. My all time favorite car was my 1964 Chevy Impala SS convertible. It was a 4-speed. That was back in 1967, but I don't remember the clutch feeling much different from the one on my GT. A couple of years ago I had a C5 Corvette and I don't recall much difference i the clutch on that one either. I don't know what to tell you. It's important that you get your seat in the right position, but other than that, I got nothing for you.

Sorry.
Old 8/25/13, 09:27 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
to me there is a big difference in feel between my 2011 GT500 and the 2013 GT500 I currently own. I stalled the 2013 (3) times the 1st day. The engagement point is much different feel
Old 8/25/13, 11:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB
to me there is a big difference in feel between my 2011 GT500 and the 2013 GT500 I currently own. I stalled the 2013 (3) times the 1st day. The engagement point is much different feel
Thank you, thank you for your input! I'm glad someone believes me! lol
I agree with you about the 2011. We test drove a 2011 Shelby vert and yeah it had a MUCH different engagement point.

And I meant Engagement....not DISengagement.... lol

And I also wish this car had a granny low in it! It feels like you have to ride the clutch just to creep when needed....Those darn tires pick up every.little.pebble.....Had to black top our drive this summer because I was sick of hearing all the stones hitting the splash guard we put on lol
Old 8/26/13, 12:36 AM
sai
GT Member

I feel the same way, I have been driving manuals from my first car 10 years ago, but my 12 mustang clutch pedal feels too high, i can't operate with my heel resting on the floor, I need to lift my foot every time I press the clutch and the worst part is clutch pedal travel and too high engagement point.

I still wonder if there is a way to reduce the clutch pedal travel and lower the pedal height with any after market stuff.
Old 8/26/13, 05:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Try removing the clutch assist spring, it worked for me.
Or try this video

Last edited by Snoopy49; 8/26/13 at 05:12 AM.
Old 8/26/13, 05:25 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It used to be that a clutch that began to ingauge/dis-inguage at the floorboard was a sign of it being worn out...new clutches always grabbed at the point when the pedal as at its far most travel.

I would think the same is today as well.
Old 8/26/13, 06:11 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I don't find mine to be particularly high or out of the ordinary. If anything my R actually engages higher, but it also grabs stronger. With the R you could dang near pop the clutch at idle. Not so with the GT500.

Problem is I have 3 clutches in 3 Mustangs and all are different.
Old 8/26/13, 06:27 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've driven manuals only for 25 years and my '13 GT has taken me the longest to get used to. Try slipping the clutch a little more. It doesn't seem to hurt.
Old 8/26/13, 07:27 AM
GT Member

My 2014 GT feels pretty average when compared to other manual cars I've driven in the past. I work in the Auto industry on new vehicle development so I've had a chance to drive many different vehicles. Engagement and disengagement of the clutch happens ~40% into pedal apply.
Old 8/26/13, 09:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Clutch works great for me. Guess some people just have trouble adapting more-so than others. Good luck.
Old 8/26/13, 12:56 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by GRN 5OH
Clutch works great for me. Guess some people just have trouble adapting more-so than others. Good luck.
Old 8/26/13, 02:47 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I don't think people are responding to the most important information in the thread.

The OP is 6'2"!!!!!

Did you play volleyball or basketball Shelby Mama? And if so did you play in college too?
Old 8/26/13, 03:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
It took me some time until I got comfortable driving my GT not because engagement issue mentioned here but was trying to avoid the famous clunking at low speeds (at parking lots) and some notchy shifting.

I can probably relate in the "different feel" department though. From several 14GTs tried, I noticed the clutch is a lot loose compare to 13GTs (or mine) - almost feel like there's not enough resistance - Heavier the clutch, more apparent the engagement point? Better control? Maybe.

I used to drive Mitsubishi Evo IX, an AWD very track capable car - maybe more so than Boss (no offence to Boss owners). Anyways, there was a tv show comparing Evo and Lambo "can the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution be as fast as Lamborghini on the track?" Hmmm.

While the show was entertaining, there was a part where the host complaining about its clutch. All I can say is my left leg had more muscle than my right (and I'm right handed). It was a great workout - there is really no 'heel resting' on this clutch because it requires you to push in full force - double clutching was fun however.

Now, I must try GT500.
Old 8/26/13, 03:48 PM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a new Roush and a new GT500, there is a huge difference in the engagement points. HUGE!

There really should be an adjustable master cylinder on the Shelby. I ended up plastic welding a shim on my MS to make the clutch engage better, and also not over extend.

Quick Reply: Worst Clutch Ever?