Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Window Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 5/6/16, 01:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Window Rattle

I have had a rattle in my driver window since almost new. It only occurred initially with Windows all the way up and engine RPM at 3K plus. It is a HORRIBLE noise/vibration. But since I almost never drive with windows up it never really bothered me. I could lightly press on the glass or crack the window down and the noise would stop. After awhile cracked window stopped working and only window completely down would prevent the noise. Again how I drive 99% of the time. This spring the noise will randomly occur even with Windows completely down. It is probably time I pop the panel off and address this. Has any had this before? What should I look for? I assume a window glass or regulator bolt is loose. Any tips on panel removal? Thanks!
Old 5/6/16, 02:13 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
I have a pretty pronounced rattle in my passenger side door panel when the window is all the way down. Sounds like the glass rattling in there. I'm subscribing to this to see what you find.
Old 9/4/16, 08:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

So since having my third kid this Spring I have barely gotten time to drive the car. But tonight I popped off the driver door panel to look into my noise. I watched a few YouTube videos first. Just to be sure I wasn't missing anything. There are a few very helpful ones out there. If you need to remove your panel I highly recommend watching one before you do. I do like on the Mustang Door Panel that there are no clips that hold it on. Inevitably removing a door panel you are guaranteed to break one. Not an issue in this case because there are none. All screws and 2 T30 head bolts. And keep in mind the panel should come off easily. No pulling required. If it is requiring effort to come off. You missed a screw. Any way... After just a minute of searching I found a VERY loose nut from the Factory. It is the lower front window regulator mounting point. I could remove it by hand. I need to reinstall the panel and take her for a test spin tomorrow. But pretty confident this is my noise source.
Old 9/5/16, 09:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool...let us know if tightening that loose nut was the culprit.
Old 9/6/16, 09:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

It was. Test drive yesterday produced no noise. I tried to post a quick 10 second video of the loose nut. But cannot get it to work. It is the nut in the bottom center in this picture.
Attached Thumbnails Window Rattle-imag3930.jpg  
Old 9/6/16, 11:10 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by 14Glassback
So since having my third kid this Spring I have barely gotten time to drive the car. But tonight I popped off the driver door panel to look into my noise. I watched a few YouTube videos first. Just to be sure I wasn't missing anything. There are a few very helpful ones out there. If you need to remove your panel I highly recommend watching one before you do. I do like on the Mustang Door Panel that there are no clips that hold it on. Inevitably removing a door panel you are guaranteed to break one. Not an issue in this case because there are none. All screws and 2 T30 head bolts. And keep in mind the panel should come off easily. No pulling required. If it is requiring effort to come off. You missed a screw. Any way... After just a minute of searching I found a VERY loose nut from the Factory. It is the lower front window regulator mounting point. I could remove it by hand. I need to reinstall the panel and take her for a test spin tomorrow. But pretty confident this is my noise source.
Great information!! Could you link us the youtube video that was the most helpful? Thanks!
Old 9/6/16, 08:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is on my list of things to check since I get the occasional door rattles as well...