Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Why you NEED a full size spare.

Search this Thread

Old 5/16/14, 09:44 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mickstang
Your point is well taken, Joey, but I for one don't care to be at anyone else's mercy or feel like I have to call for help to do a job I'm capable of handling. Besides, Murphy's Law always makes that tire go flat when you're WAY out in the boonies with no cell phone reception and nightfall coming on. I carry a full-size spare.

Remember what happened when Clark Griswald took the Family Truckster airborn out in the desert?
"What do I owe You?"
"How much you got?"
Exact same for me. If I'm stuck out in the mountains on a two lane twisty, I could be back on the road with my mini in less than 30 mins.
Whereas waiting for roadside (assuming I get a signal) could take hours.
Plus if I use the goo in the kit it ruins the tire.
So I carry the mini spare, jack, and the kit for a compressor.

That being said, I haven't had a flat on the road in years. But I check my air pressure regularly and keep a good eye on the tires. The last few flats I had, I noticed they were low, pumped them up with air, and drove 30mi to the tire shop. But most people don't pay attention. Hence the ridiculous govt mandated tpms.
Old 5/16/14, 09:46 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
It's cool if others want it...I mean, they still have a spot for it in the trunk pan, might as well at least offer it for folks when the buy the car...

It's just something that has very little use to me, and the decrease in weight is more beneficial then having the spare and jack available.

I actually removed it from my Focus while I had it.
Old 5/16/14, 09:56 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Joeywhat
It's cool if others want it...I mean, they still have a spot for it in the trunk pan, might as well at least offer it for folks when the buy the car...

It's just something that has very little use to me, and the decrease in weight is more beneficial then having the spare and jack available.

I actually removed it from my Focus while I had it.
I appreciate your idea works for you and other urban dwellers.

But as for weight, its 40#. That can be removed if you're at the track. Although I seriously doubt 40# is going to affect the time slip on a 3500# car.
Old 5/17/14, 03:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
Exact same for me. If I'm stuck out in the mountains on a two lane twisty, I could be back on the road with my mini in less than 30 mins. Whereas waiting for roadside (assuming I get a signal) could take hours. Plus if I use the goo in the kit it ruins the tire. So I carry the mini spare, jack, and the kit for a compressor. That being said, I haven't had a flat on the road in years. But I check my air pressure regularly and keep a good eye on the tires. The last few flats I had, I noticed they were low, pumped them up with air, and drove 30mi to the tire shop. But most people don't pay attention. Hence the ridiculous govt mandated tpms.
First thing I'm doing when I get my '14's new wheels and tires...putting the old TPMS sensors into the sealed PVC tubes and throwing them in the trunk.
Old 5/17/14, 11:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
First thing I'm doing when I get my '14's new wheels and tires...putting the old TPMS sensors into the sealed PVC tubes and throwing them in the trunk.
why would you do that? I don't understand.
Old 5/17/14, 11:12 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Plim
why would you do that? I don't understand.
Just don't want to deal with them when I switch wheels and I check my tires regularly. I don't need a dash light to tell me my tire is low. I always set my tires a few pounds high for mpg to offset my slightly higher than speed limit cruising speed. When I took my Escape to have the tires rebalanced, they put them back down to 32psi and I could feel it immediately in the steering, it being more sluggish.

I don't need TPMS and don't want it.
Old 5/19/14, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My best reason for having a mag-wheel spare tire is the Tire-Pressure-Sensor (TPS) damage issue. If I get a flat and use my spare mag wheel, I never spray the seal goo into my flat tire, so it's TPS is just fine. Later I get to the dealer, have the flat tire repaired or replaced using the old (still good) TPS. No replacement needed. 4 good TPS units will last the life of the car if never damaged by that sealing goo. I think the whole idea of no spare tire was to get the Mustang's weight down so it would pass the 'gas guzzler tax' mileage numbers. Eliminate the engine-driven cooling fan, the power steering pump and drop a couple hundred pounds from the trunk and you'll add a couple MPG. Just enough to get the Mustang past the gas guzzler tax. JMHO.
Old 5/19/14, 06:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I prefer the spare tire over the air pump... my old camaro came with just the pump... just cheap in my opinion
Old 5/19/14, 06:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I think I just decided to get one of whatever the cheapest drag front wheel that clears the Brembos and a M/T skinny to use as my spare...
Old 5/19/14, 08:29 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
Just don't want to deal with them when I switch wheels and I check my tires regularly. I don't need a dash light to tell me my tire is low. I always set my tires a few pounds high for mpg to offset my slightly higher than speed limit cruising speed. When I took my Escape to have the tires rebalanced, they put them back down to 32psi and I could feel it immediately in the steering, it being more sluggish.

I don't need TPMS and don't want it.

That's crazy. Boy I was sure glad I had the TPMS on mine! Would have destroyed a $600+ wheel and tire without it giving me the warning. I love TPMS. It has saved my bacon more than once. Daily Driver and the Stang.

I don't see the hassle of TPMS. It won't do anything if your run them high... Buy a tool and you can re-program the system yourself. They are on Amazon for around $30, and well worth it. I got one and it works great! Now I can rotate and check them on my own without having some goof ball at the tire shop scuffing my rims.

This is what I got for my 2014.
Amazon.com: Motorcraft TPMS19 Remote Tire Pressure Sensor: Automotive Amazon.com: Motorcraft TPMS19 Remote Tire Pressure Sensor: Automotive

Cheap and pays for its self quickly.
Old 5/19/14, 08:51 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by shaneyusa
It has saved my bacon more than once.
Your tpms has gone off? More than once?

Old 5/19/14, 09:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Not too long ago, I left work and everything was ok, after a few hundred yards, the light on the dash came on. I had not noticed any different feeling in the car yet. I was able to safely pull over and check the tires. I had a huge nail in one of my rear tires and the tire was loosing air. Not very dramatic, but point being: I had not noticed yet, that I was loosing air. I guess a little later I would have, but I would probably also have damaged the wheel by then. Or I could already be on the highway during the heavy afternoon commute... Not cool having to change tires there.
So for me: I still want TPMS.
Old 5/19/14, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Your tpms has gone off? More than once?

Well once on the Mustang for the problem in the original post.

Then with my JGCherokee, when we had a serious snow storm 10+ years ago and I bent my rim sliding into a curb. I knew I had bent it, but the TPMS let me drive as far as I could then alerted me tire was low so I could stop and add air to make it home. Had to do that a few times. Did not want to change the tire outside in a blizzard. Made it home and then swapped to my full size spare that came with my Jeep. The Jeep actually tells the PSI. So I monitored and watched as the pressure dropped, when I thought it was getting too low to continue I was able to pull into a station and add air...

Last edited by shaneyusa; 5/20/14 at 07:17 AM.
Old 5/15/19, 04:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 14 GT Track Pack car as well. I spent many a Friday night (11pm-4am) (4+ years) driving from Del Rio, TX to San Antonio, TX. 155 miles of nothing open in the few towns that cover those miles. Almost none of the convenience stores are even opened, just have the pumps turned on. I never liked not having a spare tire. I kept asking on Mustang sites if anyone was using any kind of spare tire. I got several that responded that a 255x40x19" tire/wheel (stock size on a Track Pack car) would fit, but only if it was serviced with less than 10 psi. When I replaced the factory installed Pirelli P-Zero tires with Michelin Pilot Super Sports, I had one of the take offs mounted onto another track pack rim I bought. Discount tire mounted the take off, and threw it into the trunk, as I had a bunch of stuff that needed sorting or removed just to get to the spare tire well. When I got home I emptied out the trunk, and pulled out the trunk carpet. Without remembering about the "Less than 10 psi" comments, I threw the tire into the spare tire well. It fits just fine with 35psi. However, the trunk carpet does not lay flat. Who cares!! I now have a full size spare anywhere I go. That will also work with a 20" wheel, if the sidewall height gets lower too. A 255x40x19" and a 265x35x20" are almost identical in circumference. Go to Discount Tire's website and use their tire calculator guide. Select the stock tire size the car came with. Then select the "Plus One" sizing guide. This allows you to see the circumference of each tire, to see if the spare tire well will hold your tire size. As I have changed to a 265x35x20", I still am able to carry a full size spare. I hope this helps..
Old 5/16/19, 07:47 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Do you have a jack and lug wrench ?
Old 5/16/19, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Ron11
I have a 14 GT Track Pack car as well. I spent many a Friday night (11pm-4am) (4+ years) driving from Del Rio, TX to San Antonio, TX. 155 miles of nothing open in the few towns that cover those miles. Almost none of the convenience stores are even opened, just have the pumps turned on. I never liked not having a spare tire. I kept asking on Mustang sites if anyone was using any kind of spare tire. I got several that responded that a 255x40x19" tire/wheel (stock size on a Track Pack car) would fit, but only if it was serviced with less than 10 psi. When I replaced the factory installed Pirelli P-Zero tires with Michelin Pilot Super Sports, I had one of the take offs mounted onto another track pack rim I bought. Discount tire mounted the take off, and threw it into the trunk, as I had a bunch of stuff that needed sorting or removed just to get to the spare tire well. When I got home I emptied out the trunk, and pulled out the trunk carpet. Without remembering about the "Less than 10 psi" comments, I threw the tire into the spare tire well. It fits just fine with 35psi. However, the trunk carpet does not lay flat. Who cares!! I now have a full size spare anywhere I go. That will also work with a 20" wheel, if the sidewall height gets lower too. A 255x40x19" and a 265x35x20" are almost identical in circumference. Go to Discount Tire's website and use their tire calculator guide. Select the stock tire size the car came with. Then select the "Plus One" sizing guide. This allows you to see the circumference of each tire, to see if the spare tire well will hold your tire size. As I have changed to a 265x35x20", I still am able to carry a full size spare. I hope this helps..
Glad you found something that works for yours. I too went with a full size spare and matching rim, but mine (275/35R20) is less than 1/2 too big to fit in the well. I throw it in when we take road trips, but need to find a better way to anchor it down. Don't want a 275/35R20 missile launching through the cabin of the car if something goes wrong. I did also invest in a Breaker bar, 3/4 inch socket set, and Mustang jack that I store with my Ford supplied compressor. I agree I never want to get stranded somewhere. Too many wide open spaces in my neck of the woods. Happy travels!

Last edited by shaneyusa; 5/16/19 at 11:04 PM.