Sponsored By:

Why you NEED a full size spare.

Search this Thread

Old 3/29/14, 09:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Mustang 50th
Ah. I see the Drive is coming through Midland. I might have to go for that.

I'd love to take my camera out there and snap a bunch of pictures.

Last edited by narphenal; 3/29/14 at 09:09 PM.
Old 3/30/14, 05:13 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by shaneyusa
I understand not having a spare as standard equipment, but not even offering an optional spare for the larger brake cars is almost irresponsible.

I too will have a matching rim and tire in the trunk going forward. It does not fit in the wheel well, but I feel much better having it there.

The funny thing is that I have been driving for over 40 years. I can only remember having about 5 or 6 flats in all that time. Four have been in the last year. This was the first time I have really been in a situation where I was concerned and very dependent on others to get back on the road. All the other vehicles with flats recently had a full size spare, but they were also SUVs.
Will a true spare tire/rim that you have now even fit in the wheel well of the trunk? And why is it that folks wait to complain about not having a spare until AFTER they have their first flat? You bought the car, had to know it only had a compressor and a can of slime, yet did nothing in the way of getting a spare rim and tire of what you are running? And this makes Ford the irresponsible one? Just be glad the situation was not as bad as it could be.

My wifes BMW came with run flats, and the size of these tires are not kept in stock at most tire places. Thank god for forums, as I read about this which promptly made me remove the run flats and replace them with "conventional" non run flats, which have a better chance of getting repaired, or if having to be replaced, being in stock; especially when you are not in an area that has tire warehouses that stock run flats.

Last edited by Bucko; 3/30/14 at 05:25 AM.
Old 3/30/14, 08:51 AM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
Nope, wont fit in the hole, but will fit in the trunk. Decided I can give up some trunk space so I have a matching tire. Don't want to take a chance on the Torsen rear-end.

And I have been complaining about this since I started talking to the dealer to buy the car. Got a jack, breaker bark and all the pieces to take care of this except the actual wheel and tire before I ever hit the road. Only part missing was the wheel and tire, but that will be fixed on Tuesday.

Been doing research on this before the car was ever delivered October 18th.
https://themustangsource.com/f768/spare-rs3-20s-524143/

But what were the odds of getting a flat the first time out the gate anyway?

Last edited by shaneyusa; 3/30/14 at 09:00 AM.
Old 3/30/14, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If your vehicle didnt come with a spare. I would def. rec. getting 1. Can do full size with matching rim or can do narrower but same height tire. Specially if your going any type of distance. Its a shame all cars dont come with a spare. But guess what its a fact Today your lucky if 1/2 the vehicles out there actually have a spare tire for 1. And then you find alot of people that never check their spare and when they Need it ITs Flat too. Most people today dont even have a clue how to change a tire.
Old 3/30/14, 04:19 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Nope, wont fit in the hole, but will fit in the trunk. Decided I can give up some trunk space so I have a matching tire. Don't want to take a chance on the Torsen rear-end.

And I have been complaining about this since I started talking to the dealer to buy the car. Got a jack, breaker bark and all the pieces to take care of this except the actual wheel and tire before I ever hit the road. Only part missing was the wheel and tire, but that will be fixed on Tuesday.

Been doing research on this before the car was ever delivered October 18th.
https://themustangsource.com/f768/spare-rs3-20s-524143/

Sorry to hear about your debacle OP. Glad all is worked out now though.

With your post above, you may have answered my question. I have a 12 and was always cringing getting a flat since all I have in the back is that compressor and a hole shaped like a wheel/tire would fit lol. So, since I have different wheels and tires now, I was hoping I could fit one of my OEM Brembo wheels/tire in there. I guess not? I'm too lazy to go in garage and measure or try to fit one in lol. The other drawback of having a tire in the trunk is the loss of gas mileage… hmm
Old 3/30/14, 05:50 PM

FromZto5, I have 275/35R20 original Roush equipment tires on all 4 corners. If your tire height is 27 inches or less it will likely fit, but mine are 27.5 inches. I tried, but won't fit inflated. Some are deflating their 255/40R19 to get them in, but not sure how much. Seen mention leaving 10 lbs in the tire, then using the pump when needed to fix a flat.

Not sure what you have on yours.
Old 3/30/14, 06:29 PM
I Have No Life

FromZto5, I have 275/35R20 original Roush equipment tires on all 4 corners. If your tire height is 27 inches or less it will likely fit, but mine are 27.5 inches. I tried, but won't fit inflated. Some are deflating their 255/40R19 to get them in, but not sure how much. Seen mention leaving 10 lbs in the tire, then using the pump when needed to fix a flat. Not sure what you have on yours.
Yeah I have all 4 of the stock 255 brembos. I have 305s in the rear now, but that's ok, I just want a spare so I can putt putt home or to a shop should a flat arise.
Old 3/30/14, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Yeah I have all 4 of the stock 255 brembos. I have 305s in the rear now, but that's ok, I just want a spare so I can putt putt home or to a shop should a flat arise.

Hey just caught your photo shoot thread. Your car looks awesome. Love the Kona blue and your choice of wheels. Great looking car!
Old 3/30/14, 10:41 PM
I Have No Life

Hey just caught your photo shoot thread. Your car looks awesome. Love the Kona blue and your choice of wheels. Great looking car!
Shane thanks for kind words. I don't mean to derail your thread. But you have a nice car as well. And thanks for giving me a heads up on the flat thing. I was putting off thinking about it for a while.
Old 3/31/14, 01:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Not sure of these odds but Murphy's Law says they increase exponentially if you head out the gate through East Bumfck without a spare!
Old 3/31/14, 05:36 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
One of the first things i bought for my 2011 v6 when it got delivered in May 2010 was order a spare made for a 2010 GT. Wheel, tire and jack. Cost me almost $500 . I don't have to worry about getting a flat now
Old 3/31/14, 12:24 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by David Young
Wheel, tire and jack. Cost me almost $500 . I don't have to worry about getting a flat now
Marauder mini spare that matches my diameter $74 shipped via ebay. Mustang jack used $25. Only weighs about 40#, fits almost flush upside down in the well. The rural mountain roads I drive make Roadside useless, so I'm set - for a hundred bucks.

Old 3/31/14, 07:17 PM

Hey, cdynaco, I like the Marauder mini spare. What size tire and rim is that? Will it clear the Brembo brakes?
Old 3/31/14, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by El Coyote GT/CS
Not sure of these odds but Murphy's Law says they increase exponentially if you head out the gate through East Bumfck without a spare!

Touché
Old 4/1/14, 07:28 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Touché
Yep. And the odds just increased, because you questioned it.

Your doomed.
Old 4/1/14, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Bucko
Yep. And the odds just increased, because you questioned it.

Your doomed.
I knocked on wood, does that count?
Old 4/2/14, 01:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I knocked on wood, does that count?
Only if it's the wood holding your spare in place!
Old 4/3/14, 10:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
This makes me glad that I have the basic 18" GT wheel with the full size spare.

This story reminds me of an experience I had back in 2007 with a new six month old 18' flat bed car hauler trailer that I have. We were going from MO to NY to pick up a 72 Volkswagen Superbeetle my Grandfather was giving me. We left on a Sunday and were about four hours into our trip. We stopped for gas and I noticed one of the trailer tires was almost flat. I didn't see any damage so I aired it up and we went on.

Some time down the road we stop and the same tire is again almost flat. I put the spare tire on and away we go. We stop again later on and the spare is almost flat. I start looking closer at the tire and wheel and discover the valve stem is cracked. I look at all of the remaining tires and wheels including the tire that is now the spare and all of them are cracked and dry rotted.

By this time it's about 6:00pm on a Sunday. Luckily we find a Walmart Supercenter that is open that has a oil change and tire department. I borrow their jack and take off all four tires and the spare and have new valve stems installed. Not a very good start to the trip but we didn't have any more tire issues the rest of the trip.

The trailer dealer that I bought the trailer from reimbursed me for the repair costs when I got home.

Wayne
Old 4/4/14, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wish I had realized that my car was missing the spare before I bought it... though it probably wouldn't have changed my mind, I was still kinda surprised when I eventually did check under the carpet!
Old 4/4/14, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by 70monte
This makes me glad that I have the basic 18" GT wheel with the full size spare.

This story reminds me of an experience I had back in 2007 with a new six month old 18' flat bed car hauler trailer that I have. We were going from MO to NY to pick up a 72 Volkswagen Superbeetle my Grandfather was giving me. We left on a Sunday and were about four hours into our trip. We stopped for gas and I noticed one of the trailer tires was almost flat. I didn't see any damage so I aired it up and we went on.

Some time down the road we stop and the same tire is again almost flat. I put the spare tire on and away we go. We stop again later on and the spare is almost flat. I start looking closer at the tire and wheel and discover the valve stem is cracked. I look at all of the remaining tires and wheels including the tire that is now the spare and all of them are cracked and dry rotted.

By this time it's about 6:00pm on a Sunday. Luckily we find a Walmart Supercenter that is open that has a oil change and tire department. I borrow their jack and take off all four tires and the spare and have new valve stems installed. Not a very good start to the trip but we didn't have any more tire issues the rest of the trip.

The trailer dealer that I bought the trailer from reimbursed me for the repair costs when I got home.

Wayne

Not fun. I really changes a nice little (or longer) road trip into a stressful event. Yours seems like it could have been a lot worse especially if you had not kept noticing the low tires. Also no TPMS on those trailers. Sun and weather are not a tires friend. Glad it all worked out for you Wayne, as did mine. I know there are other stories out there. Lets hear them.

Quick Reply: Why you NEED a full size spare.