2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Why so many problems?

Search this Thread

Old 2/21/12, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why so many problems?

Is it just me or does it seem like folks are having more issues with their cars? I have been excited about the Mustangs for a while, became very excited with the 5.0, trying to get a daughter through college in order to buy one. Things are lining up for this year or next but reading all the bad experiences with the car and some bad dealership experiences makes me hesitant. Transmissions seem to be a regular recurring problem, 5.0 oil consumption, knocking or just outright coming apart, front ends, etc. Deysha seems to be a big help to folks in need but to be honest, i'm not so sure anymore. Is it me or is something else going on?
Old 2/21/12, 01:17 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Really it is more the internet than anything else. Used to be we only heard of local issues or maybe major things across the country. Now we see every problem plus....but we do not here of good ones all the time. My '11GT CS has no issues with over 12,000 miles.
Old 2/21/12, 01:17 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
most problems were with early runs and should be ironed out by now..
as for the dealers, there are good & bad, just have to fine one
Old 2/21/12, 02:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Quality is Job 1
Old 2/21/12, 02:33 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AzPete
Really it is more the internet than anything else. Used to be we only heard of local issues or maybe major things across the country. Now we see every problem plus....but we do not here of good ones all the time. My '11GT CS has no issues with over 12,000 miles.

My Bullitt has been perfect. Not one issue. 4yrs, 15k.
Old 2/21/12, 02:45 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Everyone knock on wood.
Old 2/21/12, 02:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by jac70ss
Is it just me or does it seem like folks are having more issues with their cars? I have been excited about the Mustangs for a while, became very excited with the 5.0, trying to get a daughter through college in order to buy one. Things are lining up for this year or next but reading all the bad experiences with the car and some bad dealership experiences makes me hesitant. Transmissions seem to be a regular recurring problem, 5.0 oil consumption, knocking or just outright coming apart, front ends, etc. Deysha seems to be a big help to folks in need but to be honest, i'm not so sure anymore. Is it me or is something else going on?
Every study on vehicle quality shows that, as an industry, there are fewer problems than ever with new cars in their first few years of ownership. Ford continues to beat the industry average in most of those that I've seen.

If you base your opinions only on what's posted in forums like this, it's easy to think these things are giant money pits. Why?
  • Many people on this site race and/or heavily modify their cars. It's fun but leads to problems (like the #8 cylinder problems you've read about on here). If you keep a car bone stock, chances are you're going to have few problems with it.
  • Nobody comes on this site and starts threads with "Just passed 20K miles with zero problems to date!"
  • As much as some may think we represent the average Mustang owner, we don't. I would bet the average Mustang owner doesn't even know they have a solid rear axle, let alone what gear ratio they have or that their GT has a sound-enhancing tube through the firewall.
The cars have problems here and there, like all cars, but overall they're solid, well-built and should give you years of fun. Go get one and have fun.
Old 2/21/12, 03:02 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
jmatero strikes again?

Old 2/21/12, 03:03 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by LEwis26
jmatero strikes again?

Old 2/21/12, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by kylerohde

Every study on vehicle quality shows that, as an industry, there are fewer problems than ever with new cars in their first few years of ownership. Ford continues to beat the industry average in most of those that I've seen.

If you base your opinions only on what's posted in forums like this, it's easy to think these things are giant money pits. Why?

[*]Many people on this site race and/or heavily modify their cars. It's fun but leads to problems (like the #8 cylinder problems you've read about on here). If you keep a car bone stock, chances are you're going to have few problems with it.[*]Nobody comes on this site and starts threads with "Just passed 20K miles with zero problems to date!"[*]As much as some may think we represent the average Mustang owner, we don't. I would bet the average Mustang owner doesn't even know they have a solid rear axle, let alone what gear ratio they have or that their GT has a sound-enhancing tube through the firewall.

The cars have problems here and there, like all cars, but overall they're solid, well-built and should give you years of fun. Go get one and have fun.
This^^^^ quit panicking
Old 2/21/12, 05:26 PM

Good to know. You're right, folks are more apt to complain than comment positively on no issues. And, no jmatero here. My name is David and I live in Middle TN, never owned a mustang but hope to change that someday. Thanks for the re-assuring comments on Ford's quality!
Old 2/21/12, 06:36 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by LEwis26
jmatero strikes again?

Hahaha....

To the op, you are just reading snippets from the internet, so things get magnified. Think of it this way, if you read say 15 threads from 15 owners (admittedly, it might just be one person masquerading as multiple owners lol) who are having issues, that's just 15 people out of THOUSANDS of stang owners who are extremely happy and satisfied with their cars. If you notice, you never see threads by owners just posting about the rosy things.... It's always the negative stuff you hear and read.
Old 2/21/12, 06:50 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You will see the same thing on any car forum, owners posting about problems. The vast majority of us have no problems.
Old 2/21/12, 08:51 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There's problems?
Attached Images  
Old 2/22/12, 07:33 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by jac70ss
Is it just me or does it seem like folks are having more issues with their cars? I have been excited about the Mustangs for a while, became very excited with the 5.0, trying to get a daughter through college in order to buy one. Things are lining up for this year or next but reading all the bad experiences with the car and some bad dealership experiences makes me hesitant. Deysha seems to be a big help to folks in need but to be honest, i'm not so sure anymore.
Originally Posted by kylerohde

• Many people on this site race and/or heavily modify their cars. It's fun but leads to problems (like the #8 cylinder problems you've read about on here). If you keep a car bone stock, chances are you're going to have few problems with it.
  • Nobody comes on this site and starts threads with "Just passed 20K miles with zero problems to date!"
  • As much as some may think we represent the average Mustang owner, we don't. I would bet the average Mustang owner doesn't even know they have a solid rear axle, let alone what gear ratio they have or that their GT has a sound-enhancing tube through the firewall.
I don't think I could've said it better, kylerohde! Thanks!

I agree with him, jac70ss! When you are ready, GET ONE and have FUN with it!

Deysha
Old 2/25/12, 03:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

I'm very happy with my Mustang GT, and if I had the cash I'd buy a convertible and a Cobra to go along with it.
Old 2/25/12, 04:05 PM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
As a customer too I could pass this on to you jac

1. forums are only 3% of the total ford owners
2. we only read/watch the wrong/negative side of products (tranny problems, clunking, clicking, exploding)
3. don't modify anything you buy, theres a reason factory chooses those parts
4. there will always be people they have bad things to say about products (e.g. any "first impressions" of tech gadgets is good example)
5. don't believe everything you read, use the forums for reference but not for education
6. the internet is like medication commercial: few good benefits with lots of side effects..don't let it guide your buying decision.
Old 2/25/12, 05:53 PM
Bullitt Member

The internet is the problem mainly. It provided an outlet/stage for some people to overblow issues. Groupthink.

Criticism screams louder than praise.
Old 2/25/12, 06:03 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The new cars really do not have more problems then the old ones. Small things come up every now and then just like all cars. Every now and then something big happens and we get almost live play by plays. Out of the thousands of threads on this forum we have very few problems reported. Keep in mind most of the owners on this forum love driving these cars and are one hundred times more picky then the normal owner.
Old 2/25/12, 06:20 PM
GT Member

No different than any other car forum out there.
Same deal as the Audi and Porsche forums I used when I owned those cars.

My question is: you've been a member of this forum for 6 years and Only 11 posts?
Pacing yourself?

Quick Reply: Why so many problems?