2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Why no 3.31 option for V6 'verts?

Search this Thread

Old 8/26/13, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why no 3.31 option for V6 'verts?

I just got through putting in my order for a 2014 V6 convertible. I really wanted to put the 3.31 gears in it, but the system will only allow that for coupes. I have searched in here and have seen that apparently you can get them in Canada, but not in the US.

Does anyone have any idea why? I tried to puzzle it out, but have come up with nothing. If they are safe for the coupe, and they are safe for 'verts in Canada, then why can't we get them here? I realize I can do it after the fact, but that seems silly if I know I want them before the thing even gets built....

looking for any explanation...

-Stray
Old 8/26/13, 02:04 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cause someone at Ford decided you didn't need a performance gear ratio in a vert.

I don't think optional ratios are available in GT verts either.

Last edited by Ltngdrvr; 8/26/13 at 02:05 PM.
Old 8/26/13, 03:17 PM

Ford is poor with add on options; they wouldn't let me get a factory spoiler as part of my order. I'll just take that money elsewhere.
Old 8/26/13, 03:30 PM
Cobra Member

Are you sure? I had my dealer do some research b/c at first they told me I couldn't order 3.31 as a stand alone option but I knew I could.
Old 8/26/13, 05:28 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ajcruz1
Are you sure? I had my dealer do some research b/c at first they told me I couldn't order 3.31 as a stand alone option but I knew I could.
But your car is a coupe.
Old 8/26/13, 06:08 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr

But your car is a coupe.
Just pay to have 3:31 gears installed from else where or have the stealership install them for you after you get the car. But to answer your question why can't you get 3:31 gears on your vert. Same reason a Gt owner can't get 3:55 or 3:73 gears from factory if the car is automatic. Because there is no legit reason. Lol

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 8/26/13 at 06:10 PM.
Old 8/26/13, 09:20 PM
Banned

or why my only option was 3.31's for my GT vert.
Old 8/26/13, 09:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cause someone at Ford decided you didn't need a performance gear ratio in a vert.

Must have been the same obtuse SOB who wouldn't let me order a Grabber Blue with a "stone" interior.

"Why? 'Cause I said so."
Old 8/27/13, 06:23 AM

I thought maybe it had something to do with the way they have the assembly line set up, but that doesn't make much sense. I thought maybe it was torquing the chassis? But that doesn't seem likely. The only other thing I can think of is meeting a fleet MPG average projection. Anyway, I just find it really annoying....
Old 8/27/13, 07:35 AM
Banned

it's just not considered the performance model. I think that's what it comes down to. Eventually though, I might want to put in 3.73's but I don't mind my 3.31's.
Old 8/31/13, 11:53 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Originally Posted by Mickstang
Must have been the same obtuse SOB who wouldn't let me order a Grabber Blue with a "stone" interior.

"Why? 'Cause I said so."
That's it Mick. The difference between Ford USA, and Ford Canada doesn't make any sense to me. BTW, the Wifey ordered her '10 Grabber Blue GT w/stone interior. Go figure.

As a side, I wanted a '13 F-150 Platinum in Blue Jeans Metallic. Nope says Ford USA, ain't gonna happen. But if you live in Canada, well, that's OK.

Last edited by wanted33; 8/31/13 at 11:55 AM.
Old 8/31/13, 12:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 554 Likes on 360 Posts
Originally Posted by wanted33
That's it Mick. The difference between Ford USA, and Ford Canada doesn't make any sense to me. BTW, the Wifey ordered her '10 Grabber Blue GT w/stone interior. Go figure.

As a side, I wanted a '13 F-150 Platinum in Blue Jeans Metallic. Nope says Ford USA, ain't gonna happen. But if you live in Canada, well, that's OK.
In 2010 it was still an option to get Stone interior with Grabber Blue, in fact Stone was the default interior on the order guide.
Around here there were a lot of Stone/Grabber Blue Base model V6 and V8's around that were hard to sell. 2011 was the first year that Grabber was not available with Grabber Blue.
As for the Gears, any Vert is stuck with the only option gears, like auto GT's can only get 3:15's from the factory.
Old 9/1/13, 07:52 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
Just pay to have 3:31 gears installed from else where or have the stealership install them for you after you get the car. But to answer your question why can't you get 3:31 gears on your vert. Same reason a Gt owner can't get 3:55 or 3:73 gears from factory if the car is automatic. Because there is no legit reason. Lol
this ^
Old 9/1/13, 09:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess they feel like they need to cut the Canadians a little break since, you know... they're stuck in Canada. With Nathan.
Old 9/4/13, 07:51 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Strayshot
I just got through putting in my order for a 2014 V6 convertible. I really wanted to put the 3.31 gears in it, but the system will only allow that for coupes. I have searched in here and have seen that apparently you can get them in Canada, but not in the US.

looking for any explanation...
Originally Posted by Ajcruz1
Hi guys,

The 3.31 limited-slip rear-axle is not available for convertibles in the US or Canada, due to the increased torque and twisting it would do on the body. This is why we separate certain packages to work with the type of vehicle.

Deysha
Old 9/4/13, 08:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by FordService
Hi guys,

The 3.31 limited-slip rear-axle is not available for convertibles in the US or Canada, due to the increased torque and twisting it would do on the body. This is why we separate certain packages to work with the type of vehicle.

Deysha
But my GT Convertible came with the 3.31 limited-slip...... dun dun dun......

So to answer the question, they seem to believe that convertible owners don't want fun. Case in point - I have the Brembo brake/suspension package, but couldn't go for the full track pack. Instead I have to seperately order the parts if I want them.
Old 9/4/13, 08:51 AM
V6 Member

Hi guys,

Deysha
Deysha, I certainly respect the input you provide to all the Mustang boards. And, I much prefer a "logical reason" for actions to a "second order hand waving" answer to questions. However, I have to think that Ltngdrvr is probably closer to the truth on this question. I say that because the GT vert has much more torque then the V6 and the GT500 vert has much more torque then the GT, and they all have essentially the same frame/differential structure. I put the "no optional gear ratio for verts" decision right in the same category as "no supercharged automatic transmission cars"......except for Roush
Old 9/4/13, 09:04 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Hi guys,

Deysha
Deysha,

Just curious but why can't 5.0 owners order from factory 3:55 or 3:73 gears with automatic non convertible. The manual transmission you can order those gear options so why not the automatic?
Old 9/4/13, 09:08 AM
Banned

Deysha,

Just curious but why can't 5.0 owners order from factory 3:55 or 3:73 gears with automatic non convertible. The manual transmission you can order those gear options so why not the automatic?
my guess would be CAFE/EPA regulations.
Old 9/4/13, 09:17 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle

my guess would be CAFE/EPA regulations.
Ha, ha, ha. Not! Lol

Quick Reply: Why no 3.31 option for V6 'verts?