Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Why aren't you running an oil separator?

Search this Thread

Old 4/29/11, 01:54 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by stangfoeva
Essentially yes. The question I had asked him was "Is a catch can necessary? And if so why doesn't Ford have it come standard?"

That was his response and it makes sense perfect sense.

They might be more necessary in that motor you posted Charlie, but unless we see pics of a torn down coyote its almost irrelevant
Why? It's still a multi-valve internal combustion engine with an open tube (without an actual PC Valve) regardless if its a 4.6 or a 5.0. Some of you crack me up like the 5.0 is some new secret rocket science.

But that's cool. Whatever anyone wants to do.

I suspect the biggest reason Ford doesn't put one on, is the numerous women and men that wouldn't remember to drain it on a regular basis on their fancy modern new car. Can you imagine wrapping up the sale, the salesman handing the keys to the lady, and then saying "btw, about every tank or two you need to lift the hood drain the oil sep cup".

Last edited by cdynaco; 4/29/11 at 02:26 PM.
Old 4/29/11, 02:17 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
Why? It's still a multi-valve internal combustion engine with an open tube (without an actual PC Valve) regardless if its a 4.6 or a 5.0. Some of you crack me up like the 5.0 is some new secret rocket science.

not saying it's rocket science, but it is a different engine. So i can't take those pics as gospel

Originally Posted by cdynaco
I suspect the biggest reason Ford doesn't put one on, is the numerous women and men that wouldn't remember to drain it on a regular basis on their fancy modern new car. Can you imagine wrapping up the sale, the salesman handing the keys to the lady, and then saying "btw, about every tank or two you need to lift the hood drain the oil sep cup".
No doubt that is a consideration too. Ford probably believes the benefits are not worth the cost/effort
Old 4/29/11, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
weird, some people in this thread have gone from wanting one to changing their minds and not wanting one. I read the same replies you guys did and now I originally wasn't going to get one and now maybe considering it, lol.
Old 4/29/11, 04:53 PM
Post *****

Heck after all that I learned about them; after breaking down numerous engines previously in my life and seeing the carbon around the ports, valve stems, and such; and then seeing & smelling what comes out of my engine from the blow by of the rings; I put one on my old F150 (30k on new engine) and on my new Chrysler 4 banger. I am an oil sep believer.

Last edited by cdynaco; 4/29/11 at 04:55 PM.
Old 4/29/11, 05:20 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Well...great info is definitely coming to light here.

cdynaco, where did you get one for $50? The JLT one is nice but $120 is a significantly larger gamble.
Old 4/29/11, 06:02 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by MRGTX

cdynaco, where did you get one for $50? The JLT one is nice but $120 is a significantly larger gamble.
See #37.
Old 4/29/11, 07:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MRGTX

I am going to pay quite a lot for my GT, and plan on keeping it for a long time. $120 is a very small price to pay for piece of mind. In 20 years, I want thic car to work well. After spending so much on a car, I had no problem just paying that. My oil seperator is waiting here for my car to arrive. When it does, it will be one of the first mods I do.
Old 4/30/11, 08:39 AM
3rd Times A Charm

Originally Posted by mystickeith50
N btw for those who are saying they have never heard of a catch can before this forum, that is basically telling me you are not in touch with modern high performance modded cars. Christ if you have ever ripped an engine apart we wouldn't be having this conversation. Will not having a catch can destroy ur new stock five liter, no, but will it make ur car run cleaner, absolutely. While we are on this matter, if fords engineers were truly into giving us the best longest lasting product, why do they come with $hit tires, inadequate suspension, and let's not get started on all the tranny questions out there. Come on man........
This guy gets it!
Old 4/30/11, 01:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

I am still amazed at the different culture surrounding these new stangs. It seems to me there are so many people interested in being well read rather than hands on knowledgable it's crazy. In a fox body world(lol I know that's a long time ago) u would never hear some much complaining about drone, rasp, oil separators, notchy shifting, wet underwear, panties bunching, etc. Cdynaco has hit it right on the head numerous times in this post!!!!! Are there actually people complaining about 120 bucks in this forum that own a car that cost almost 40k!? Christ, that's as much as an air filter and a good oil change. That's not worth it to you for piece of mind? Really do yourself a favor and don't analyze these things too much. And as far as what that ford engineer said, give me a break. They are given a job to give us a motor that delivers adequate horsepower that's somewhat reliable for a said price. Do you know how many things could have been done or added to this motor to increase performance, longevity, decrease wear, etc that they didnt do that are easy. I don't blame them that they didnt either. They are gonna make ten million of these cars and Christ that's what aftermarket is for anyway.lol.
Old 4/30/11, 01:57 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
If the inside of the plenum gets coated with oil then I will install one. If it don't I won't.
Old 4/30/11, 03:12 PM
GT Member

I won't be running one in mine. I can see there may be benefits, but in case I do have a problem under warranty that is engine-related, the last thing I want is for the dealer to point to it and say "nope!". Not interested in fighting that sort of guilty-until-proven innocent situation.
Old 4/30/11, 03:46 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by PolishAmericanMustang
I won't be running one in mine. I can see there may be benefits, but in case I do have a problem under warranty that is engine-related, the last thing I want is for the dealer to point to it and say "nope!". Not interested in fighting that sort of guilty-until-proven innocent situation.

Why would they even question warranty? It's an oil separator.
Old 4/30/11, 04:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by TheReaper
If the inside of the plenum gets coated with oil then I will install one. If it don't I won't.
Fact: It will.
Old 5/1/11, 09:00 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by DaSFGiants4Life
I snuck into the garage while my Mustang was in for service at Sarat Ford in Mass (the biggest dealer around for folks in the CT/MA area). I asked the mechanic what he thought about running an oil separator and he laughed, said it was a waste of money because the oil coating makes no measurable difference to performance and that he suspects that Ford may actually try to void a warranty if tehre was a separator on there.

I know it's just one guy's opinion but it is another data point.

cdynaco, thanks you for the link info! You're the best. If I do go this route... (still 50/50) I will absolutely give your contact a call.

mystickeith50, thanks for judging me and the rest of us on the basis of the validity of our concerns and questions. Your opinion is so valuable to all of us.
Old 5/1/11, 10:16 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by DaSFGiants4Life
Again, if there's even the CHANCE that I would have to justify it, I'm not doing it.

How do I know that I won't run into a problem 3 months or 3 years after delivery, and have to deal with some **** service manager who will say something like "customer-installed oil separator interfered with normal engine operation" and red-flag my car so I can't get service anywhere? I mean that's beyond the realm of possibility, right? I don't have the greatest luck in the world when it comes to these things, so I'm not about to push it.

My GT has a sticker of almost $39K, a thoroughly modern motor, and a 5-year warranty. As such, I'm not concerned that I'm putting myself in jeopardy by not running an oil separator. I think I'm more likely to have problem with the electrics, the MT82, or the glass roof before I have problems with the motor....
Old 5/1/11, 10:54 AM

I think it is a personal choice like oil or gears. I installed one today after having the car three days. Looking at the JLT, would be hard for any dealer to try to void a warranty on its' use. Also, the 5.0 is to new for any mechanic to offer an opinion as to if it's needed or not. Any oil in the intake is not a good thing. Is it necessary ? Most likely not but like good oil or filter, I don't want to spend this kind of money and take a chance. I use a very good oil and filter and will let you know if I get any blow by with them in the future.
Old 5/1/11, 11:36 AM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Old Chuck
Also, the 5.0 is to new for any mechanic to offer an opinion as to if it's needed or not.
Guys... EVERY engine has blow by. NO piston rings make a perfect seal. And in the case of the 5.0 there will be more blow by than the 4.6. You have a higher compression ratio, and you power all the way to 7000 rpm. How do you think they got 100 extra HP out of an increase in displacement of just .4L? Which means more gaseous blow by entering the crankcase.

And if the 5.0 is "too new", then why are guys catching blow by (with its atomized particles of oil and partially spent fuel piped directly into the intake) in the cans as soon as they put them on?

I mean I understand if people don't want to fool with it - because it is something you have to stay on top of. But these suggestions that somehow the 5.0 is different are off base. Its just an internal combustion engine that has a slightly different displacement. It still has pistons, rings, valves, spark plugs, and causes a violent explosion of compressed Air/Fuel in a confined cylinder.

Last edited by cdynaco; 5/1/11 at 11:59 AM.
Old 5/1/11, 12:29 PM
Bullitt Member

LOL i get a kick out of reading this and ask myself how many here not using one of these type of cans (any kind) will put a CAI and tune or more on there car or maybe buy some body detailing stuff and spend a day or two detailing the outside while the inside gets all gummy and full of non burned oil residue.. but to each his or her own if you wanna polish a turd go for it i thik the main reason mfg done put em on at the factory is COST and the only reason they dont do valve cover vents alone anymore is the EPA made them contain all stuff like this and your gas tank vents .. but that's just me. like wheels and stickers its your car do as you like.
"ya can lead them to water but ya can't make em drink"
Old 5/1/11, 12:49 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by mystickeith50
Fact: It will.
It didn't happen in my 07 and I give credit to Amsoil for that but this is a different motor so we will see. I hope you are wrong but I wouldn't bet the bank on it.
Old 5/1/11, 06:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,520 Likes on 1,039 Posts
OK so whether I "need" it or not I bought one of these things . . .

Which is the correct side to install it on? I thought I remembered some posts saying it should go on the passenger side, but my order says "driver side" and when I checked with AM they said it is supposed to go on the driver side.

Quick Reply: Why aren't you running an oil separator?