Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Why aren't you running an oil separator?

Search this Thread

Old 4/28/11, 06:53 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Why aren't you running an oil separator?

Many folks seem to think that this mod is a no-brainer. It collects oil that would ordinarily be sucked up from the crank case (in the form of vapor) and might gum up the intake manifold and/or the valves, etc.

JLT makes a beautiful part that sells for about $120 and installs in a snap.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/jlt-oi...ator-11gt.html

It all sounds good... but Ford clearly has a stake in long lasting motors (even beyond their warranty), yet they have made no provisions for this, nor do 99% of engines on the road that are capable of going past 200k miles.

Is this necessary? What will the benefits be? What are the dangers of not installing one?

Does Ferrari have a catch can on their motors? Does Porsche? Does BMW? If not, what are they doing better?

Basically everyone discussing this in the 5.0 Mods section thinks its a good idea but I suspect that the doubters are ignoring the thread...so why did you opt not to run one?

I would much rather spend that $120 on performance parts (or gasoline) so I would greatly appreciate any input on this before I order one.

Last edited by MRGTX; 4/28/11 at 06:55 AM.
Old 4/28/11, 08:00 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
The only reason I haven't added an oil seperator to my '11 5.0L yet is that I just haven't gotten around to it, but will. Ran one on my supercharged '07 GT and it worked very well.
Old 4/28/11, 08:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Little bit skeptical myself but planning to oder one anyways because it keeps the engine clean inside. The only thing is I need to figure out what to do with the accumulated oil between oil changes. Just don't want to dump it on the ground or trash.
Old 4/28/11, 09:02 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by newpony
Little bit skeptical myself but planning to oder one anyways because it keeps the engine clean inside. The only thing is I need to figure out what to do with the accumulated oil between oil changes. Just don't want to dump it on the ground or trash.
I'm glad that you're skeptical too...

My main hesitation is whether or not this oil vapor contributes to compression or ring life. I guess I just don't know enough to be sure that it's not a necessary part of the function of the engine.

Motors like the Mazda Renesis consume oil to keep the seals alive... obviously it's a different design but it's not impossible to imagine.

ALSO- thank you for giving a **** about the environment. I store up all of my waste oil and bring it to the town garage where they recycle it. If I do get a separator, I will add it to the jugs.
Old 4/28/11, 09:04 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You keep it in some sort of bottle and you can take it to like a jiffy lube, auto zone, kragen / oreily I'm sure any of those will have oil dispensers.
Old 4/28/11, 09:57 AM
Bullitt Member

the price?
Old 4/28/11, 10:40 AM
GT Member

Just installed my JLT catch can yesterday.
Old 4/28/11, 11:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Just finish ordering mine.
Old 4/28/11, 12:17 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by SoCalCobra311
the price?
Yes, the price for me too. It is ridiculous. And the hose they give u is a piece of skat. Don't know if they are all like that but it is still too much money. Need to make my own.
Old 4/28/11, 12:25 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I didn't have one on my 07 GT because it used no oil between the 8k changes. I have 1460 miles on the 5.0 and it has used no oil so far. I see no reason to have one unless you're getting a lot of oil in the intake plenum.
Old 4/28/11, 12:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by r1rider98
Yes, the price for me too. It is ridiculous. And the hose they give u is a piece of skat. Don't know if they are all like that but it is still too much money. Need to make my own.
The hose they give you is the same one Ford puts on at the factory.... not sure how that's a piece of skat. The price is a bit high, but honestly the quality of the piece is worth it.
Old 4/28/11, 01:59 PM

basically just as the OP stated, do any of the high end vehicle manufacturers put them on their motors? Are we trying to say that we are more informed about what is best for our engines then the engineers at Ford/Ferrari/Porsche etc etc

If none of them feel it is necessary who are we to tell them they are wrong? I'll side with the educated folk. We are just making assumptions that it is better for the engine without any hard evidence.
Old 4/28/11, 04:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

This is one of those never ending debates. You will never find a real answer here or anywhere. Either you believe in it or you do not. I do argue that due to the fact that millions of people worldwide, including myself, have cars that still run good after 150,000 plus miles is a legit case that oil separators are not necessary. Look at the long term reviews that some of the magazines and auto blogs do and with very few exceptions all of them report better MPG and performance after 30,000 or 40,000 plus miles. If oil in the intake is that bad those number should go down not up.

I'm skeptical myself but still bought one . Why? Because I like the idea of keeping the internal of the engine as clean as possible and doesn't look like it could harm the engine in any way. Do I think the engine is going to last longer because of it? doubt it.
Old 4/28/11, 05:24 PM
SD6
Bullitt Member

This is one of those never ending debates. You will never find a real answer here or anywhere. Either you believe in it or you do not. I do argue that due to the fact that millions of people worldwide, including myself, have cars that still run good after 150,000 plus miles is a legit case that oil separators are not necessary. Look at the long term reviews that some of the magazines and auto blogs do and with very few exceptions all of them report better MPG and performance after 30,000 or 40,000 plus miles. If oil in the intake is that bad those number should go down not up.

I'm skeptical myself but still bought one . Why? Because I like the idea of keeping the internal of the engine as clean as possible and doesn't look like it could harm the engine in any way. Do I think the engine is going to last longer because of it? doubt it.
and I couldn't have said it better myself.

I've driven cars for 25 years, and never even HEARD of an oil seperator until this forum. Like newpony said, millions of people have cars with super long engine life without them (in fact, got to figure the norm is NOT to have an oil separator).

However that being said... logically it did seem to make sense to me to keep as much oil out of the intake as possible, so I purchased one.
Old 4/28/11, 06:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SD6
and I couldn't have said it better myself.

I've driven cars for 25 years, and never even HEARD of an oil seperator until this forum. Like newpony said, millions of people have cars with super long engine life without them (in fact, got to figure the norm is NOT to have an oil separator).

However that being said... logically it did seem to make sense to me to keep as much oil out of the intake as possible, so I purchased one.
Never having heard of an oil separator doesn't make them any less common. Separators and catch cans are extremely common on modified vehicles. Most people don't drive there cars like they stole them..and therefore a separator isn't necessary.

Frequent high-RPM use will cause oil build up in the intake, it's just a function of the motor. Your typical daily driver might end up with a bit of oil on the intake filter, but it's not a big problem. I think that's a pretty good argument for why Ford doesn't install them from the factory..they aren't necessary to have a properly running vehicle. I have one because I hated pulling the intake off my '08 GT and having oil build up on the inside.
Old 4/28/11, 06:18 PM
GT Member

I'd probably get one if JLT had one that includes a new PCV line for those with a Roush M90 supercharger. I know I could simply modify the lines I got from Roush but, I'd rather get new lines already modified for the oil separator.
Old 4/28/11, 06:25 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by lp9820
I'd probably get one if JLT had one that includes a new PCV line for those with a Roush M90 supercharger. I know I could simply modify the lines I got from Roush but, I'd rather get new lines already modified for the oil separator.
Be a man. Cut some hose. Zip some ties.

(just kiddin' around)
Old 4/28/11, 06:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
Check these out:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=2115550
and
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti..._Separator.htm
and
http://store.crawfordperformance.com/store/products/334

Interesting reads. Especially the Civic and Focus engines, I thought.

My take is this: The car didn't come with it. Having one MIGHT be a bad move if they engineered it TO NOT HAVE IT. One should really read up on this and decide for themselves whether it's for them. I'm siding with the engineers on this one, and not getting one for my car, unless there is solid evidence that it's not going to kill the motor in some way, or solid evidence it does more to help engine life. As such, there doesn't seem to be enough evidence either way, and I know my car's motor is designed for 100,000 miles as it stands, and with oil change, will last probably 200 easily.

That transmission of mine, though...

/synchros are strange in 1-2-3... but I can deal with it, just gotta watch the revs.

Last edited by houtex; 4/28/11 at 06:32 PM.
Old 4/28/11, 06:29 PM

Believe me you need one of these.
they work there is always oil in mine.
Had mine on since about 80 miles,bought it
before I had the car,was skeptical myself but glad I got it.
Old 4/28/11, 07:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

I too find it hard to part with my cold hard cash for something that I had never heard of before this forum. My take is this. I'm sure That the seperator will trap oil. My question is this, How much fuel do you run through your car in relation to the amount of oil you scavenge? if your running 50 gallons of fuel to accumulate 1 oz. of oil I just don't see it being that big a deal to justify the asking price.

Quick Reply: Why aren't you running an oil separator?