2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Who went from coupe to vert?

Search this Thread

Old 9/24/10, 12:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Yes, the soft boot. Since it's optional, I assume there's no problem driving with the top down without the boot. So I'm wondering how often people use it and for what reasons.
Old 9/24/10, 12:37 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Yes, the soft boot. Since it's optional, I assume there's no problem driving with the top down without the boot. So I'm wondering how often people use it and for what reasons.
OK, here's the deal with the soft boot (which comes standard on the GT): You'll hardly ever use it. The top looks pretty good retracted without the boot, and the boot is a little bit of a PITA to install.

If you get right up close to the car and stare down in there you can see unfinished plastic & metal structure and pieces of foam, etc, when the top is retracted. So the one time I use my boot is for cruise-ins, etc, where I know people will be up-close looking at it. But in the 3+ months I've had my car, I've only used the boot 2 or 3 times.

Others may disagree, but I'd recommend saving the $160 and using it toward something else.
Old 9/24/10, 12:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Thanks Eric. That's exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Unfortunately, I already included the boot in the build order but I'm not too worried about $160 over 60 months. I was just thinking that installing the boot would be almost as much trouble as stowing my t-tops in the trunk (which is why I hardly ever take the tops off anymore). I'm looking for open air without the hassle.
Old 9/24/10, 01:59 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Thanks Eric. That's exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Unfortunately, I already included the boot in the build order but I'm not too worried about $160 over 60 months. I was just thinking that installing the boot would be almost as much trouble as stowing my t-tops in the trunk (which is why I hardly ever take the tops off anymore). I'm looking for open air without the hassle.
I would think you could sell your boot locally on eBay or something to recoup most of your $160, especially if you don't open the plastic baggie it comes in. I am hanging onto mine only b/c my car originally came with it, & I want to keep all the original pieces I can (including take-offs from any mods).

If you are of a mindset of not taking off the Ttops due to hassle, you'll probably rarely use the boot either.

PS - I'm still stying to find out top speed allowable with top retracted. It looks like it could scoop air under it if you were going fast enough. Maybe that's a use for the boot....

PPS - Since it's so large even when folded, it takes up a good deal of the trunk space. So I leave the boot at home in the garage at all times except the rare instances when I have it installed.

Last edited by Double-EDad; 9/24/10 at 02:02 PM.
Old 9/24/10, 03:02 PM
GT Member

I've always had verts and still like them. I've driven mine in all weather with the top up, windows down, never windows up - top up. I only put the boot on when its nice out and I know I will the top down for days, or I'm going to a show. I admit it could use some suspention upgrades, but if you hang on tight, it's not bad. I really like I can put the driver and passenger windows down half way and I don't get blown around, and I'm sure the coupe is like that. many cars do not allow that. I don't use the air cond. much at all. The one switch for the back windows does't bother me.

I've driven at highway speeds with the top up and windows down and have not noticed any wear because of that. However, listening to music is not good with the top down. There is a setting for convertable in the sound settings but I don't see what it does and have not used that setting.

Mustangs have always looked good with the top down.
Old 9/26/10, 09:53 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Double-EDad
What amazes me is how many convertibles I see with their tops UP on a beautiful sunny day of 80 degrees or so.
In our defense, I will say that I take the convertible to work, and windswept hair look doesn't always fly in every work situation. But when I leave, I'll out the top down immediately.

Another thing though -- when I have the top up and the windows down, I get a ticking/cracking sound from where the roof and a-pillars meet. I think there was a TSB for the '06 models. Has anyone else heard about/experienced this?
Old 10/20/10, 01:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Correctomundo! Nothing is more sissy than a top down windows up vert! As for chilly drives, that's what a tonneau cover is for. Snap the passenger side in place and crank the heat. But windows stay down!!!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by cdynaco
TMS SEARCH IS SO LAME!!! I typed in convertible, tonneau cover, thread, post, and still couldn't find this thread. But google did in seconds. What a sorry site!!!!!!!

Anyway, I was pulling out of Costco gas pump yesterday and in my mirror I saw a white vert pulling in to the pumps beside me. The guy had the top down because it was a beautiful sunny 78 degs. But he had the windows up....

I wanted to yell "Put those windows down you *****!!!"
Originally Posted by Double-EDad

That is truely shameful! Not you, the guy with the convertible with his windows up on a 78-deg day.

OTOH, at least he had his windows down. What amazes me is how many convertibles I see with their tops UP on a beautiful sunny day of 80 degrees or so. I want to ask them what kind of weather they're waiting for, or ask them why they even bought a convertible in the 1st place?!?

The biggest offenders seem to be Saab and Solstice convertible owners. I sometimes think Saab convertible tops must not be able to retract.

I've stated before that if I had it to do over, I'd buy a Brembo coupe, but I am still enjoying the heck out of my topless-ability every chance I get. Sometimes the top stays down for days....(and no I won't put my windows up, at least not yet!)

So I drove to work today with the top down and windows up. Of course it was 45 degrees when I left this morning.

So does that make me a wuss
Old 10/20/10, 04:54 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by shotzy
So I drove to work today with the top down and windows up. Of course it was 45 degrees when I left this morning.

So does that make me a wuss
At least you DROVE your car. I left mine at home b/c of bad weather and horrible parking at work (1500 extra people on site right now, and no additional parking has been provided - yet). I had to park the CR-V on grass that could just as easily been mud. Ugh!

BTW, when were you going to tell me which exhaust I was going to be buying? EDIT: OOPS, never mind, didn't realize my home e-mail incoming wasn't working today, just the outgoing, and as soon as I got it working again tonight I saw all 3 of your messages! Congrats!

Last edited by Double-EDad; 10/20/10 at 07:59 PM.
Old 10/20/10, 07:55 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SD6
I gotta disagree with you on this one - I definitely like one switch for both windows. Can't think of a time I'd want one to go down without the other, so one switch makes sense (for me anyways).

Would I would have preferred though is that it's not auto up/down like the driver&passengers.
Easier to put all the windows down at once that way.
My thoughts exactly, such a pain rolling all 4 up/ down. And I like have just 3 buttons.
Old 10/20/10, 11:30 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by jedikd
Always had Coupes: 99 V6 Mustang and now '07 GT.

Thinking maybe about going the vert route for an '11+

Has anyone made the switch? Do you regret it at all? Does the convert feel a lot less stiff?
GO FOR GLASS ROOF!!!!