Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Who manufacturers the MT-82 trans.?

Search this Thread

Old 8/11/10, 07:25 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who manufacturers the MT-82 trans.?

Is it a Tremec? I had a T-56 in a '55 Chebby I built a few years ago. Just curious about the MT-82.
Old 8/11/10, 07:28 AM
FR500 Member

Getrag.
Old 8/11/10, 08:13 AM
Cobra R Member

Made in China.
Old 8/11/10, 08:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's a company write-up on the MT82 tranny from 2008,,,

http://www.getrag.com.cn/News_en/Sho...Company%20News

GETRAG alsp manufactures them in England,, But those don't appear to be the ones being used in the Mustang ...
Old 8/11/10, 09:04 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by drive_55_not

GETRAG alsp manufactures them in England
,, But those don't appear to be the ones being used in the Mustang ...
That might be a good thing.
Old 8/11/10, 11:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

GETRAG alsp manufactures them in England,, But those don't appear to be the ones being used in the Mustang ...
The only thing more suspect than Chinese manufacturing principles are British manufacturing principles.
The following users liked this post:
area5179 (5/1/23)
Old 8/11/10, 11:41 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hawkeye18
The only thing more suspect than Chinese manufacturing principles are British manufacturing principles.
Not all. Colin Chapman (and I) woud disagree. My Jensen-Healey/Lotus was a great machine. Pretty advanced engine for the 70's.
However, the Lucas electronics and the Chrysler UK transmission were problematic.

I'm really surprised Ford would design a new trans, have it built in China (with it's questionable quality reputation) and slap it in so soon. They could have used their plants/associated companies in Mexico or Brazil if it was strictly a price decision.
So my assumption is it is a strategy with China - either a contractual or good will gesture - and in return for China to open the doors for more Ford vehicle exports to, or Ford factories in China.
Old 8/11/10, 05:44 PM
GTR Member

Global sourcing is a fact of life and will not change, it will only expand more and more so you better get used to it. Some chinese manufacturing may be shoddy but Ford sets the standards that the parts have to meet so the manufacturing processses are going to be just as good as if it were done somewhere else except it is being done for less $$$.
Old 8/11/10, 05:47 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
So my assumption is it is a strategy with China - either a contractual or good will gesture - and in return for China to open the doors for more Ford vehicle exports to, or Ford factories in China.
You may be right (I may be crazy...)
Old 8/11/10, 06:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds like Jiangling Motor Group did all the work on MT-82.
Old 8/11/10, 06:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PTRocks
Getrag.

*Jiangling Motor Group
Old 8/11/10, 07:14 PM
Cobra R Member

JING-A-LING!!
Old 8/11/10, 07:58 PM
I will buy Jack Stands!!!

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
Old 8/11/10, 08:05 PM
Team Mustang Source

Yep it is made in China, saw the casting on them. Funny all the things you see when crawling under the car. Noticed a sticker last night on the 2 part driveshaft that said :" IF DROPPED SCRAP".....
Old 8/11/10, 08:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm really surprised Ford would design a new trans, have it built in China (with it's questionable quality reputation) and slap it in so soon. They could have used their plants/associated companies in Mexico or Brazil if it was strictly a price decision.

Since this is from Getrag, I assume that Ford provided requirements, and Getrag did the design and engineering via their joint venture with the Chinese partner.

As Ltngdrvr mentions, global sourcing is a way of life now. I presume that Getrag worked to meet Ford's cost targets by using this Chinese partnership. I think it would have more to do with parts, rather than Ford trying to open markets in China. That process has most likely been underway for years now.
Old 8/11/10, 10:31 PM
GT Member

does anyone know the max torque that the transmission can handle? i had thought i read it was 385 lb-ft, but the power putting down post mods and run, especially by evo, seem to be proving otherwise.
Old 8/12/10, 12:18 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by sdsguy
does anyone know the max torque that the transmission can handle? i had thought i read it was 385 lb-ft, but the power putting down post mods and run, especially by evo, seem to be proving otherwise.
I had read that it was 375 but I think they rate them in high gear and the lower gears will handle more.

The other thing is that just because it is rated at 375 or 385, that doesn't mean that is the point when it will self destruct, not like as soon as it hits the number it goes BOOM!

I would bet that the tranny may be marginal under repeated super hard launches but even then it would take a while before it comes apart.
Old 8/12/10, 05:21 AM
Bullitt Member

How do you pronounce Getrag?

I'm more worried about mispronouncing it's name in conversation than blowing it up.
Old 8/12/10, 06:44 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Global sourcing is a fact of life and will not change, it will only expand more and more so you better get used to it. Some chinese manufacturing may be shoddy but Ford sets the standards that the parts have to meet so the manufacturing processses are going to be just as good as if it were done somewhere else except it is being done for less $$$.
Actually thats not entirely true. My father works for Converse and has repeated problems with shoes being shipped over here because the manufacturers over there decide to use different materials to make more money even when they are given a certain set of standards. He himself has to go over there once a year for 2 weeks and go through all the factories to make sure theyre doing what they're supposed to do. They also send someone over every month or so to do the same thing.

Maybe since we're talking cars, not shoes it might be a little different. But just thought i would share what he's told me before. Outsourcing the manufacturing is getting increasingly harder on companies, especially when it comes to china.
Old 8/12/10, 07:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Not all. Colin Chapman (and I) woud disagree. My Jensen-Healey/Lotus was a great machine. Pretty advanced engine for the 70's.
However, the Lucas electronics and the Chrysler UK transmission were problematic.
You know why the British drink their beer warm?

...because Lucas makes their refrigerators
The following 2 users liked this post by WhiteBird00:
area5179 (5/1/23), Mark_K (6/28/22)

Quick Reply: Who manufacturers the MT-82 trans.?