Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Who is a "first time" Mustang owner, age, and why?

Search this Thread

Old 6/18/10, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm 54, have wanted a Mustang since I was 16. Kids are of on their own, bought a house with a 3 car garage, decided I wanted a convertible (instead of a bike) and when the hype came out about the new engines and trany, I was the time.
V6 vert, pony, candy apple.
Old 6/18/10, 01:33 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RedWings
I have that new car itch, but I wasn't sure exactly which route I wanted to go:

(1) Luxury sports sedan...like a G37
(2) American Muscle...like a Camaro, Challenger, or Mustang

I decided on the Mustang for many reasons and feel I need to fill that void in my life. The luxury car can come further down the road.
I felt like the Mustang was bridging the gap between luxury car and muscle car, that's what I love about it. Better yet, it's not too luxury either, it lets you know you're still in a muscle car. Luxury is nice and visually I love the luxury, but I know personally I am rough around the edges some times and that's what give the car its character!

Luxury cars are just as cookie cutter as any Toyta line. Even the G. Don't think I am trying to say they aren't nice but it will never have as much character as the Mustang.

Last edited by Automagically; 6/18/10 at 01:34 PM.
Old 6/18/10, 02:59 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm 27 I recently paid off my current car and decided I wanted to keep it for a winter car and buy something nice. originally I was looking at 05-10's but realized that for a little more I could just go 2011. That mixed with the interest rates on the rise, the promotions and the fact that the dealer is a friend of the family, I was quoted a price that I literally couldn't resist. Not to mention all of the great things about the car lol.

It was a no-brainer
Old 6/18/10, 04:07 PM

44 and I was excited about the 2005 body style ever since is showed up.

Now in 2010, I was on the fence with regards to waiting for the 2011 Camaro convertible or getting a 2010 Mustang. When I read about the 5.0 I figured that was what I really wanted.

I have never even driven a Mustang; I just went and bought one. Jeff at Yocum hooked me up with a new loaded convertible (in a few weeks when it arrives). I only just ordered it in late April, I understand that it's not going to be here tommorow.
Old 6/18/10, 04:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I drove a '67 289 for a couple years, but it wasn't mine... so this is my first purchase. 50 years old a couple weeks afterward. I liked the early 90s generation but a Mustang wasn't practical for me then. Didn't like the last generation. Liked the '10, and no longer really care whether it's practical or not. I probably would've gotten the GT, but the salesman showed me an '09 at Christmas and I bought a Taurus instead. So when I saw the '10 a few weeks later, my GT money was spent. The small V6 is plenty fun for this old man.
Old 6/18/10, 06:49 PM
V6 Member

I'm 37, and tired of driving slow cars. I had a motorcycle, which turned me off to fast cars in the 90's - because nothing compared to a bike. After driving Hyundai's for 12 years, I needed something more. I was flirting with a Camaro last year, but the Mustang took it a step further. I caved. My 2011 GT comes on June 30th. Can't wait anymore!!!
Old 6/18/10, 07:12 PM
V6 Member

Im 20, My first Mustang and current Mustang is a 2008 Mustang V6. I am currently saving up for 2010 GT, or a 2011 V6.
Old 6/18/10, 10:01 PM

I am an ancient 20 years old. Ya i know that you young fellers don't know what its like growing up in the 90s.

Learned to drive on a 83-84 Ford Ranger with a standard tranny
First car: 91 Taurus, tranny blew 2 weeks after buying it for $650
Second car: 99 Cavalier, good car but gutless with an auto
Third car: 01 WRX, great car
Fourth car: 2006 Civic Si, awesome car, will always recommend THIS Honda
Fifth car: 2001 Hyundai Elantra, impressed for Hyundai, sold to my father
Sixth Car: 1993 Honda Accord, probably the most impressed i have ever been with any car and i will be sad to let it go, really.

I currently work for a local Honda dealership here in Calgary. When i have told people i am buying a Mustang, they give me blank stares like i am some idiot for buying a "dreaded domestic".

I cant wait!!!
Old 6/18/10, 10:56 PM

Another 27 year old with fine taste, guess 1982 was a good year. This will be my first mustang. Why, my hand me down car from my parents is finally on its last legs. Also, my roommate got a Camaro. Testosterone and competitiveness drove me to American muscle. Also Ford quality is going up, while Japanese quality isn't all its cracked up to be anymore.

Was going to make the smart and responsible choice and go with the v6. Thing is, I may only have one shot at owning some true American muscle. Its hard to say if I will have that chance again if a wife and kids enter the picture. Only live once, gotta go for the 5.0. I also want to smoke my roommate's Camaro. Let the new American muscle car war begin.
Old 6/18/10, 11:25 PM
GT Member

Been around Mustangs since I was a kid. Dad had an '88 5.0, then a '94 GT, now an '01 Cobra. Been fortunate to have him let me take the GT and the Cobra for some cruises (never without him though). I've wanted my own ever since. Always loved the sound of their V8's.

I'm 27 now (still a kid! ) and finally at a reasonable point in life to own my own. Told dad I ordered a 2011 GT, next thing you know he's starting to look into getting a GT500. The father-son feud is on!
Old 6/18/10, 11:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Lol Roy, 1982 for sure. My roomate drives a Challenger R/T..neither of them stand a chance
Old 6/19/10, 05:31 AM
V6 Member

I'm 34 and just purchased my 2011 Mustang GT about a month ago. I've been a fan of the Mustang ever since I was a teenager getting my butt kicked by the Fox-body 5.0's. I really started to think about getting one after the introduction of the 2005, but it wasn't until I got my wife a 2010 V6 this past December that I was sold. The quality seems so far ahead of the previous years and now that they reintroduced the 5.0, I was hooked. Now, that I've got the Mustang, I can see what the hype was all these years. They're just down right fun cars to drive; the sound, the speed, everything!
Old 6/19/10, 06:41 AM

I'm 38 and this will be my first Mustang and the first American car that I've purchased. My new cars were all nissan products (2 Altimas and a G35). American cars weren't even on my radar. I was going to buy either a BMW 335 or 135 (I still can't quite swing the M3) until I saw the performance comparison. Then I started reading. The 5.0 had all the performance I could want (until I can afford the Bugati) at a price I could afford and then there is the 5.0 rebirth. So I ordered. With all the hold ups, I'm beginning to wonder whether my decision to buy American was a mistake, but I'll reserve judgement on it. My car was built May 20. I think I'm setting July 15 as my fish or cut bait date.
Old 6/19/10, 07:07 AM
Cobra R Member

Larry/O.P. - 1st I want to say that I saw a Kona blue V6 Pony pkg with stone interior at the dealer when I test drove my 1st 2011 GT, and it looked great. I think that is my favorite combination! My problem with it is this 2011 is to be my daily driver and I wanted a lighter color exterior & darker color interior that I could live with (I felt Kona blue too dark to keep it looking fabulous year after year). If I was to purchase a 2nd Mustang, it would be your exact car.

I am nearly 48 and this 2011 GT 'vert is my first Mustang. Why? I've always been more of a Honda & Chevy guy. I bought a CRX-Si new (over a Mustang GT) in 1986, then a 1985 IROC-Z I bought from a GM engineer who mated its TPI engine with the T5 manual and 3.42 rear (It still couldn't keep up with the 5.0 LX's of the era!).

I briefly considered a 1986 Mustang GT convertible when graduating college, but hated the tiny briefcase-sized trunk.

Thru the '90's I owned a 1972 targa blue Corvette convertible with white top. My wife cried when we sold that car (after my 1st girl was born, I just wasn't able to use the car much).

Having paid a Corvette payment in child support every month for the last 16 years, my 18-1/2-yr-old son finally graduated high school last month. So I freed up some cashflow, and I'd been scheming & dreaming to get a C6 Corvette since 2005. But guess what? I still kind of need a back seat (2 girls), and the 2010 Mustang finally got it right in terms of looks (IMHO), so I test drove a white 2010 GT coupe with HIDs & 3.73.

My impression was the interior was superior to the C6, I loved the exterior, but the powertrain? I liked it, but felt it wasn't much quicker than my 2006 Accord V6 (modified only with TL-S sways). I'd heard the 5.0 was coming so I waited for the 2011s to come out on Mother's Day. I also loved the looks of the 2010 Camaro, but HATED the interior/dash, the size, and the driving position (why GM, why?).

So as summarized in my 1st post: I loved & followed the '60's Mustangs year-by-year. My fave was the 1969 & I liked the '70 nearly as much. I hated the Mustang II (Boredom Zero, LOL), and simply loved the looks of the 1982-1992 Z-28 too much to consider a Fox. The 2005 was the 1st Mustang that got me looking again. The 2010 was the first time I'd bothered to test drive a Mustang, and that brings us to the 2011, which kept all the good of the 2010 and infused it with a drivetrain that blows my erstwhile AV6 out of the water, and yet gets only about 2 or 3 mpg less. I was also fortunate to be able to work it out financially. For once.

My friends ask me what happened to the C6 dream. The C6? Are you kidding? For what my brand new 2011 5.0 cost I'd have had to settle for about a 30,000-mile used C6 with an interior from a Chevy Cavalier (but not as bad as a 2010 Camaro). But my wife & kids can enjoy my 2011 Convertible GT with me, and we are having a BALL. It's the "Summer of George"!!!

Last edited by Double-EDad; 6/19/10 at 07:09 AM.
Old 6/19/10, 09:30 AM

I'm currently 24 but was 23 when I got my GT500. This is my first Mustang. It WON'T be my last. (No, I'm not selling it). I have been obsessed about the Mustang since I was old enough to know what a car was. Always wanted a million of them. Still do. Can't wait to get my next one (2012 Boss302). And my next one (50th Anny Ed).
Old 6/19/10, 12:20 PM
V6 Member

I just turned 28 2 weeks ago. I have loved muscle cars since I was 5 years old. My dad was a big car person and I have always been a big enthusiast subscribing to many car magazines since I was a kid. The mustang has always been one of my favorites. I love the sound and feel of the V8.

To this point I have only owned sport utility vehicles and trucks. But as of 20 minutes ago I will be the proud owner of a new mustang in the near future. Hopefully only 8 weeks away.

I can't wait to crank her up for the first time and hear that throaty engine sound at WOT and feel the power. ***** to the wall American Muscle!
Old 6/19/10, 01:23 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 1969 Boss429
I just turned 28 2 weeks ago. I have loved muscle cars since I was 5 years old. My dad was a big car person and I have always been a big enthusiast subscribing to many car magazines since I was a kid. The mustang has always been one of my favorites. I love the sound and feel of the V8.

To this point I have only owned sport utility vehicles and trucks. But as of 20 minutes ago I will be the proud owner of a new mustang in the near future. Hopefully only 8 weeks away.

I can't wait to crank her up for the first time and hear that throaty engine sound at WOT and feel the power. ***** to the wall American Muscle!
Great post! CONGRATS! Man, you've got me wanting to go out there right now and fire my Coyote up!
Old 6/19/10, 01:32 PM
GT Member

30 here. This will be my first new car as I've always gotten a car off of a family member. I was looking for something that was both nice looking, practical, and affordable for my commute which averages about 40 minutes each way. I knew I wanted a coupe and looked at the obvious ordinary choices, the Accord and Altima coupes. One day saw an add for a Challenger so I poked around the Dodge website. Looked great (though a little fat) but wasn't completely impressed. Then I saw an add for the Camaro which noted it's 29mpg highway for the V6 model. That piqued my interest since it was near the fuel efficiency of the Accord and Altima but a more powerful car. To round out my list I looked at the V6 Mustang and thought "meh..." reading about it on paper. Still, I drove it and like it but thought it just lacked something. Drove the Camaro next and thought, "Wow, this fun... Wish I could see where I was going." Eventually in October I settled on the V6 Mustang but did some reading on here and read all the "Wait till the L.A. Auto Show!" threads. I did and that was it. The 2011 would have all the fun with the practicality of the Accord and Altima which I was initially looking for. It should be here July 4th weekend.
Old 6/19/10, 01:36 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Double-EDad
Great post! CONGRATS! Man, you've got me wanting to go out there right now and fire my Coyote up!
Thanks man. Congrats on getting your new mustang! I'm sure the convertible is a blast. The 72 was a sweet looking year for the vette too!

1969 was my favorite year for the mustang (And most of the muscle cars) hence my screen name. I have had a 1969 Boss429 in raven black on my desktop for a while. All of that black and chrome is just awesome. Not to mention the engine was built for Nascar. The 429 Boss is just a dream but the new 5.0 will soon be a reality!
Old 6/21/10, 01:35 AM
GT Member

I got my first (and only) mustang in 1998. I still daily drive it. 172,000+ miles and running strong.

Originally Posted by Ice Hawk
I'm currently 24 but was 23 when I got my GT500. This is my first Mustang. It WON'T be my last. (No, I'm not selling it). I have been obsessed about the Mustang since I was old enough to know what a car was. Always wanted a million of them. Still do. Can't wait to get my next one (2012 Boss302). And my next one (50th Anny Ed).
A bit off topic, but I was reading an old magazine I had in the bathroom, Modified Mustangs May 2007, and on the last page I saw this:
https://themustangsource.com/attachm...3&d=1277105594

As soon as I saw it I rushed to see if it was you. Of course I flushed before checking =)
Attached Thumbnails Who is a "first time" Mustang owner, age, and why?-mustang.jpg  

Last edited by MyLittlePony; 6/21/10 at 01:39 AM.

Quick Reply: Who is a "first time" Mustang owner, age, and why?