Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Who is a "first time" Mustang owner, age, and why?

Search this Thread

Old 6/18/10, 08:32 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who is a "first time" Mustang owner, age, and why?

This will be my first Mustang. Almost 60 and I have owned Vettes, Cudas, Nissan Z cars, RX8s, etc, and ride a H-D Softail Deuce. Ford sold me on the 2011 Mustang because of the v6 - 305 hp/31 mpg, body styling, premium interior, and convertible looks. Very impressed with the car and can't wait to get it!
Old 6/18/10, 08:43 AM
GT Member

I'm still waiting for mine to be delivered, but it will be my first Mustang and my first car purchase. I'm 24. Why? I've always wanted a Mustang and am finally able to afford it =)

Last edited by raidernixon; 6/18/10 at 08:44 AM.
Old 6/18/10, 08:46 AM
Bullitt Member

I'm 28. This will by my first Mustang, and my first new car purchase. I have several reasons why:

1) I've worked hard thus far, and it's starting to pay off. That hard work includes sacrifices I made while the kids around me had all the newest gadgets: gameboys, nintendo, cable TV, new cars, etc. This car will be my treat to myself for a job well done.

2) It's my way of "rebelling." I'm not knocking the car, but the guys in the office are huge corvette fans. Listening to them talk just about every day about how great the car is has probably turned me off to them forever.

3) I established a price range, and did my research on the cars in that price range. I started by looking at the Hyundai Genesis 3.8. The ride was a little too stiff, the seat bolsters hit me in the wrong places, and the brand new car I was driving was rattling like a baby's toy. The next car on the list was the Mustang, and it was love at first drive. I only got to drive an automatic 6 the first time out, and I still loved the car. Second time out was an auto 8. Third time out (thanks Jeff) was the manual 8, and that sealed it. I had to have one.

Am I scared about the move from a four cylinder Hyundai to an eight cylinder Mustang? A little bit, perhaps. I've driven fast cars before; a 93 Fox body from hell - turbo and supercharged, a 2004 MB 600 SL, and a 2003 Mustang Cobra. None of them handled the same, and none of them will handle like this one. Give me a day in the twisties, and I'll have it down to a science though!
Old 6/18/10, 08:54 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
got my first Mustang 2 years ago and Im 49.. When I drove one I fell in love.
Old 6/18/10, 09:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'm going to consider this "my" first Mustang even though I'm currently driving a 2008. I'm getting a 2011 because my 2008 was purchased for my wife who refused to drive anything but an automatic. She is no longer in the picture and I'm tired of driving an automatic so this is "my" first mustang.
Old 6/18/10, 09:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

This isn't my first, it's my 3rd (technically 4th since I own a foxbody shell that's a work in process) but I just wanted to say grats to all of those joining the club.. you won't regret it!
Old 6/18/10, 09:31 AM
Cobra R Member

28, not my first one though. Bought my fastback when I was 15.
Old 6/18/10, 09:48 AM

I'll say I don't have one yet, but I am strongly considering a v6 with the performance pack. I am 28 and come from the import world, particularly Japanese cars. I currently own a Subaru Impreza and love it. It is getting up there in the mileage and I want to move on to rear wheel drive. There is nothing out there with in the price range for the performance and mileage of either the V6 or V8. I might lean toward the V8, but ultimately I want go to a road course and HPDE.
Old 6/18/10, 09:53 AM
GT Member

I purchased my first Mustang on May 25th, 2010 at the young age of 38.
My Uncle had a ‘65 fastback that I admired at a very young age, and not to mention everyone in our neighborhood ran Mustangs at the local dirt track in the late 70’s, early 80’s.
It has taken awhile, but as said by”raidernixon”, I can afford it.
It’s “just” a GT, no mod’s, but in my mind it’s “one-of-a-kind” making me a proud Mustang owner.
Old 6/18/10, 09:57 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This will be my first stang, and my first new car. I'm in my early 20s and I been driving around the same car I got in high school (my 1st car). Mustang here I come!
Old 6/18/10, 10:07 AM
Bullitt Member

I had an '84 I was rebuilding in high school and sold before I finished. Same happened with a '73 in college. To this day I've not driven a Mustang (test drove a '10 around the block if you want to count that) or any car in excess of 275hp (and that was in a Crown Vic wagon.)

Similar to a poster above, I've busted my *** for several years. I was finally awarded with custody of my son in '08. After lots of sacrifices, my wife (since 1/10) and I purchased our first house recently and our only "debts" will be the mortgage and the Mustang.

Do I need it? Hell, no... but I've wanted a nice one for a looong time and said as soon as I can get one with 400hp and six speed I will. When my wife openly agreed to the purchase it just seemed to be the perfect payoff.

Oh- I'll be 27 on 7/4 and this will be my first (drivable) Mustang and my first brand new car.

Last edited by Freshmeat; 6/18/10 at 10:09 AM.
Old 6/18/10, 10:26 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This will be my first. I've been eying up a Mustang since '05, but couldn't pull the trigger with school and insurance in MI bending me over most of the time. Now that I'm nearly done and 25, I will be getting one because I've dreamed about it for a long time. I've looked at all the other options, but this is the car I want, no doubt about it.
Old 6/18/10, 10:32 AM
V6 Member

I'm 35 and have wanted a Mustang for about the last 10 years. Never owned one before last month. Wanted to wait to get the best possible new Mustang I could afford so when the 2011 5.0 was announced I knew that it was time.

I have owned Fords before and used to have a 1990 Thunderbird. I currently have a 2005 Ford Escape XLT (amazing little SUV for the money, quality has been great) and now my 2011 5.0!
Old 6/18/10, 10:36 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,528 Likes on 1,046 Posts
I'm 49 and this is my first Mustang.

Why did I buy one now? Early 50th birthday present to myself, dormant passion for performance cars reignited by the new pony car wars

Why didn't I buy one sooner? I was a little too young to afford a good one the first time around (original late '60's pony car wars) . . . settled for a semi-junk '71 Olds 442 as my first car . . . then the late 70's to 80's models really turned me off, then I needed more "practical" vehicles like sedans and pick-up trucks . . . . but now the recent models are even better than they were back in the day, so I decided it was about time
Old 6/18/10, 10:50 AM

First Ford anything. Have had Audi's, Porsche's and VW's plus always have a Tahoe to haul people and boat.
Wanted pure american muscle car and Mustang only way to go! 45 f..n years old. People ask why I'm driving a 16 year old's car and I just laugh and say because it's fun.
Old 6/18/10, 11:02 AM
Bullitt Member

23 First Mustang, First self purchased car... Family has F-150 and a Honda Pilot so we don't have brand loyalty, but they both still run +170k miles.
Old 6/18/10, 11:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by wgreg2011
First Ford anything. Have had Audi's, Porsche's and VW's plus always have a Tahoe to haul people and boat.
Wanted pure american muscle car and Mustang only way to go! 45 f..n years old. People ask why I'm driving a 16 year old's car and I just laugh and say because it's fun.
I don't see much 16 year old in recent Mustang GT...

Around here, they usually drive older Civic or Japanese stuff!!
Old 6/18/10, 11:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'm 35. I have always liked the look of the 60's Mustangs. I liked the 2005, but never seriously considered purchasing until the 2010 re-design. Ironically, it was the Camaro that led me to give the Mustang a serious look.

I went to the 2009 Detroit show and waited in line to sit in the fifth gen Camaro. When I was in HS, I had some friends with Camaros. I liked their cars, so I was excited to see what the new one was like. WHAT A LET DOWN. I tried to adjust the seat and the lever felt like it was going to break off in my hand. The materials were horrible. My impression was that it had a show car exterior and a proven engine, but the interior was straight out of an Aveo.

Still wanting to cut the new Camaro some slack, I walked over to the Ford display to check out the Mustang. I thought, maybe all cars in the muscle car class are like this. I was immediately impressed. I loved the new body design, and the interior felt like a luxury car in comparison to the Camaro. Overall, the car just fit me right. But the horsepower was seriously lacking in comparison to the SS and I couldn't see spending that much to be second quickest.

When I got home, I started surfing around and read rumors about the new engines. After the official introductions of the 5.0 and 3.7 in December, I went to my dealer and took a '10 out for a spin to see what the chassis was like. I waited a month after the start of production, and then placed my order.

Last edited by coffeejolts; 6/18/10 at 11:28 AM.
Old 6/18/10, 12:34 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm 27 and this will be my first Mustang purchase. As to why?
I have always been intrigued by the Mustang in the 60's early 70's form, Fox body, on up to the current. I was always such a Chevy fan boy that I didn't want to give the Mustang a chance, even thought I was really interested in one. Finally when I worked for Audio Midwest I did some install work to an 03 Cobra, which conveniently needed to be driven for a while to get the GPS to work. As soon as I started the car I knew then that I had to have one. So I was deployed and for a long time got out of the car game. At the time I was still into customizing trucks. Trucks were cheap and had plenty of V8's available. I liked the 05 change but wasn't sold on the car really. So I just got disinterested. Went to a car show in Oklahoma City and saw that they brought back the Bullitt model. I was starting to feel that need again. Finally graduated college, thanks Army, I graduate at 26, 4 years after my projected date. Anyway, I got a good job, saw the 2010 at a car show that I was there to look at mini's for. I sat in the Mustang knowing the 5.0 was coming back. I was completely astounded by the interior quality and feel. Visibility was good and I knew it had muscle. It added up to the perfect solution to my needs. It made the wife happy as Ford was still making non-buyout quality American cars. Ford is the only domestic brand she trusted so I was like phew. I was pretty smitten with the new body style though. It just came down to the Mustang finally looked like it had fulfilled its mark as a modern muscle car. Great styling, great interior, not cheesy, relevant and classy. The Camaro didn't make me feel like much of or any of those things. I hated the view out of the car, the concept like looks were growing too goofy and everyone and there mother wanted one. It just looks unreal, like it shouldn't actually be a car at all. I thought the Mustang looked like a car that belonged on the road and had a ton of potential.
Old 6/18/10, 01:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

I haven't placed an order for a new Mustang, but I plan on doing it within the next year.

I am 31 and this will be my first Mustang. Growing up I always wanted some American Muscle but either couldn't afford it, or my driving record wouldn't allow it. Then I had a kid and figured I was stuck with 4 doors. Now my daughter is 3 and I see no reason why a Mustang couldn't work.

I have that new car itch, but I wasn't sure exactly which route I wanted to go:

(1) Luxury sports sedan...like a G37
(2) American Muscle...like a Camaro, Challenger, or Mustang

I decided on the Mustang for many reasons and feel I need to fill that void in my life. The luxury car can come further down the road.

Quick Reply: Who is a "first time" Mustang owner, age, and why?