2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Whipple 2.9L Crusher Ordered

Search this Thread

Old 7/27/11 | 09:50 AM
3rd Times A Charm

Originally Posted by MARZ

Oh, yeah, I see your thread now. I can't wait until you get this monster installed. You definitely made the right choice, IMO, in going with the Whipple 2.9L supercharger / Lund tune rather than the KB or Procharger route. It's just too bad you're going to have to wait for your JLT CAI.

Awesome! You've seen what he was capable of on Lethal's car at 10 pounds of boost, right? Man, I'm definitely jealous!
Thanks bro! I'm stoked!

Should be a great time installing it too.

I'm bummed about the JLT, but you know what...there's no substitute for this intake. It's flat out badass! I'll wait impatiently. Hahaha!

You can't lose with the 2.9L Whipple. I love the misinformed comments here about blowing the motor. Lethal is beating the hell out of their Whipple 2.9L car with the stock long block, 47 lb injectors, and wait for it..... 16 psi!
Old 7/27/11 | 10:40 AM
Cobra Member

OK this is against all of my beliefs, but between cam, intake, whipple..... you may have way way too much horse power. I am so freakin' jealous! Can't wait to hear about your excellent adventure!
Old 7/27/11 | 10:50 AM
3rd Times A Charm

Originally Posted by eric n
OK this is against all of my beliefs, but between cam, intake, whipple..... you may have way way too much horse power. I am so freakin' jealous! Can't wait to hear about your excellent adventure!
Thanks Big E!

No cam though (Ghost Cam tune), and I have to lose the Boss Manifold! I just bought the **** thing!

I'm doing an extensive write-up over at S197 if you wanna follow it.

I'll provide details here, but not as much as over there.

Did you see the, "You'll blow your motor" comments I've already got here? It's a shame.

I've been in the S197 community since the very beginning. I know what I'm doing. I guess the misinformed masses over here have led me to believe that my write-up will be better received by performance driven guys.

Last edited by S197 GT; 7/27/11 at 10:52 AM.
Old 7/27/11 | 10:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

^^ ive been following your build thread- cant wait till its done.. lucky SOB lol

someday i can be like S197 gt lol
Old 7/27/11 | 11:06 AM
3rd Times A Charm

Originally Posted by way2qk4u2c
^^ ive been following your build thread- cant wait till its done.. lucky SOB lol

someday i can be like S197 gt lol
Hahahaha!
Old 7/27/11 | 12:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

That sounds amazing man!!!

Just curious, maybe you posted at S197, but why did you choose the kit you did vs. the roush or ford racing tuner kits? I know the size is a bit more but with all stock internals can you take advantage of it and see any benefits over the others?

I'm a noob when it comes to some of this stuff so please don't flame me! I've had it in my head that in a couple years I'd do a similar setup of what Justin at VMP did with his 5.0.
Old 7/27/11 | 01:02 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Originally Posted by 99mstng
That sounds amazing man!!!

Just curious, maybe you posted at S197, but why did you choose the kit you did vs. the roush or ford racing tuner kits? I know the size is a bit more but with all stock internals can you take advantage of it and see any benefits over the others?

I'm a noob when it comes to some of this stuff so please don't flame me! I've had it in my head that in a couple years I'd do a similar setup of what Justin at VMP did with his 5.0.
No worries man...

This is a Ford Racing tuner kit. All tuner kits are without fuel injectors and tuning.

I chose the Whipple over the Roush TVS, because I prefer the looks of the Whipple. I also don't want the same blower that someone could get from factory off of the showroom floor.

The 2.9L will run at a much slower rpm, therefore it will run cooler. It's not as efficient as a 2.3L as low boost levels, so I may end up with a little less power. Which is fine. The 2.9L has much more potential at higher boost levels, so instead of paying $3k + down the road to upgrade the blower, I opted for the $500 upgrade up front.

The stock internals will be just fine. I plan to run 10 psi with 15* of timing. Pretty mild. Lethal Performance is running 16 psi on their 2.9L through the stock long block. They abuse the hell out if it!

Justin is a great tuner, and has some great achievements with the TVS blowers.

BTW, for a noob, you've got some great questions!
Old 7/27/11 | 01:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by S197 GT
No worries man...

This is a Ford Racing tuner kit. All tuner kits are without fuel injectors and tuning.

I chose the Whipple over the Roush TVS, because I prefer the looks of the Whipple. I also don't want the same blower that someone could get from factory off of the showroom floor.

The 2.9L will run at a much slower rpm, therefore it will run cooler. It's not as efficient as a 2.3L as low boost levels, so I may end up with a little less power. Which is fine. The 2.9L has much more potential at higher boost levels, so instead of paying $3k + down the road to upgrade the blower, I opted for the $500 upgrade up front.

The stock internals will be just fine. I plan to run 10 psi with 15* of timing. Pretty mild. Lethal Performance is running 16 psi on their 2.9L through the stock long block. They abuse the hell out if it!

I like how you're setting yourself up for more HP in the future! I can't wait to see what kind of numbers it will put down. What are your goals/expectations?
Old 7/27/11 | 02:11 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Originally Posted by 99mstng

I like how you're setting yourself up for more HP in the future! I can't wait to see what kind of numbers it will put down. What are your goals/expectations?
Thanks man.

My immediate goal is to have a 550+ rwhp Mustang that can run low 11's, and still go take my kid to get ice cream.

I expect to get 560-580rwhp out of this.

In the future, I'd like to build the bottom end and run 16+ psi.
Old 7/27/11 | 05:46 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Thumbs up

No worries man...

Hey, man, the 2.3L vs. 2.9L Whipple low-boost difference used to be the case but, from the tests I've seen from both Torq Speedlab and Lethal Performance, the bigger Whipple not only makes considerably more horsepower and torque at all RPM's than the 2.3L, it runs much cooler, too.

I'm sure you've seen these articles from Mustang 5.0 Magazine, but I'll post them anyway.

Lethal's comparison of the Whipple 2.3L vs. 2.9L:

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...two/index.html

Just for sh*ts and giggles, Lethal's stock-internal 5.0L with a Whipple running at 16 pounds of boost:

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec..._gt/index.html

From Torq Speedlab, "[The Whipple 2.9L, vs. the 2.3L makes] about another 30-40rwhp. The 2.3L car we did had Kooks Long Tubes with High Flow Cats on it. On the 5L engine we are seeing about 20RWHP difference between the 2.3L and the 2.9L at low boost levels...

...the 2.3L is a great choice for this motor as well. The 2.9L provides a little bit more HP/TQ while running slightly cooler. Whipple's direct relationship with Ford Racing and Roush allow them to provide the highest quality kits on the market with the highest quality components (fittings, hoses, etc). Camaro, Mustang, Challenger, etc their quality and customer service is unmatched ."

http://youtu.be/3xSCLpB5EME?hd=1

Last edited by MARZ; 7/28/11 at 04:26 PM.
Old 7/27/11 | 07:59 PM
MOTM Committee Member

S197GT I say you copy/paste your posts from the other forum here and just ignore the haters. These are the very same people who thought the 5.0 was maxed out from the factory lol.

I for one would love to see your write-up
Old 7/27/11 | 08:59 PM
3rd Times A Charm

We'll see.

They're not haters, they just speak on things they have no knowledge about. A lot of people do that here.

The wealth if knowledge here is lacking.

That's not a slam against the site.

This site is more about aesthetics, and that's cool. It just also has a lot of misinformed comments from ignorant people.

Last edited by S197 GT; 7/27/11 at 09:23 PM.
Old 7/28/11 | 12:19 AM
MOTM Committee Member

We'll see.

They're not haters, they just speak on things they have no knowledge about. A lot of people do that here.

The wealth if knowledge here is lacking.

That's not a slam against the site.

This site is more about aesthetics, and that's cool. It just also has a lot of misinformed comments from ignorant people.
Fair enough, if need be I'll have to start an account over there
Old 8/2/11 | 08:38 AM
3rd Times A Charm

Got these in yesterday.
Attached Images    
Old 8/2/11 | 08:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

love the pics... that looks awesome.... droooooooool
Old 8/2/11 | 08:44 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Old 8/2/11 | 10:47 AM
Cobra Member

CAR ****!!! Hot as hell!
Old 8/2/11 | 04:31 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

When does your Whipple compressor arrive?
Old 8/2/11 | 08:39 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Originally Posted by MARZ
When does your Whipple compressor arrive?
As of yesterday, it still hadn't been built. I was told 2 weeks on the build, so I'm expecting it to ship next Monday at the earliest.

I can't wait for a tracking number! I'm having a bit of a blower install/beer drinking competition, so I need to plan accordingly!
Old 8/8/11 | 09:54 PM
3rd Times A Charm

The Whipple will be here tomorrow!!!

Quick Reply: Whipple 2.9L Crusher Ordered