2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Where R the Borla Sound Clips?

Search this Thread

Old 8/26/10, 06:16 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where R the Borla Sound Clips?

David Borla wrote a lot of good stuff last week about his 3 new Borla muffler configurations and assured us that video/sound clips would be released "next week". Well, it's not only "next week", but almost Friday of that week! I am on the verge of hitting the "Buy Now" button one of a couple of other brands but want to hear Borla first. I would like to hear a rumbly V8 instead of crickets....
Old 8/26/10, 06:19 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Originally Posted by Double-EDad
David Borla wrote a lot of good stuff last week about his 3 new Borla muffler configurations and assured us that video/sound clips would be released "next week". Well, it's not only "next week", but almost Friday of that week! I am on the verge of hitting the "Buy Now" button one of a couple of other brands but want to hear Borla first. I would like to hear a rumbly V8 instead of crickets....
Yeah, I'd like to hear their various systems, too. I really loved the S-Type on my 2007 GT; odd are, I'll wind up with a Borla on my 2011, too.
Old 8/26/10, 06:30 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by MARZ
Yeah, I'd like to hear their various systems, too. I really loved the S-Type on my 2007 GT; odd are, I'll wind up with a Borla on my 2011, too.
I am not loving the prices I've seen. Maybe it would have been better to hear the goodness before seeing the cost of it.
Old 8/26/10, 06:42 PM
Team Mustang Source

Took too long, i ordered my Bassani race axle back mufflers. And cheaper too. $529

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da2Wx4s9ro4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA_XB...eature=related
Old 8/26/10, 07:02 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by montreal ponies
Took too long, i ordered my Bassani race axle back mufflers. And cheaper too. $529

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da2Wx4s9ro4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA_XB...eature=related
Where'd ya get 'em? How do they sound in person? Is there as much popping as in the above videos? And what about the Drone Factor?

Last edited by Double-EDad; 8/26/10 at 07:03 PM.
Old 8/26/10, 07:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know what you mean, I've been waiting to hear what the new Borla ATAK sounds like, even on the 2010 GT. One thing I don't understand is why they can sell exhaust at such a high price yet can't make a simple video to advertise it. Bassani had various videos up before they released the exhaust. We all know Borla is a great product, but I definitely want to hear it first too. The Borla S-type (Stingers) muffler for the 2011 GT is exactly the same muffler as the Steeda axleback.

Last edited by Stangpilot007; 8/26/10 at 07:55 PM.
Old 8/26/10, 07:53 PM
Team Mustang Source

Mines are on the way and i think my vendor got them from American Muscle. But here is what Steve aka ( ModShack) had to say about them after the installation and a first impression ride was completed with the Bassani axle back race exhaust.

Quote from Steve :

Pretty throaty when the car is on fast idle, but they actually get quiet at idle once the rpms drop a bit. On the road, a nice combination of Exhaust and mechanical noise from up front (with noise tube removed). They're pretty civilized with the windows up, but you know they're there. Absolutely no drone which is good. Windows down, a nice tone. Not to obnoxious, moderately aggressive. They sing nicely when you exercise the Steeda tune! Just 20 miles so far, but I like them a lot and think they'll meet my sound desires nicely. I need to take it through a few more heat cycles and re-adjust the tips a little. Easy install overall and a 23 pound savings over stock.
Old 8/26/10, 10:04 PM
Bullitt Member

I am not loving the prices I've seen. Maybe it would have been better to hear the goodness before seeing the cost of it.
That!
Old 8/27/10, 09:34 AM
GT Member

I read a post from David Borla on another mustang forum just last night, he is hoping to have the videos up some time today, but as of last night his editor was still going through the material putting it all together. They have 4 days of footage that they are going through.
Old 8/27/10, 09:54 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by fossy207
I read a post from David Borla on another mustang forum just last night, he is hoping to have the videos up some time today, but as of last night his editor was still going through the material putting it all together. They have 4 days of footage that they are going through.
THANKS, that's the update I was seeking.
Old 8/27/10, 09:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Which other ones are you considering?

I really like the bassani's. Waiting to hear some real world views as I am only looking for slightly louder than stock especially with the Vert as my top is always down.
Old 8/27/10, 10:11 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by shotzy
Which other ones are you considering?

I really like the bassani's. Waiting to hear some real world views as I am only looking for slightly louder than stock especially with the Vert as my top is always down.
Hey Shotzy, good Q’s.

I like the sound & price of the Flowmaster Hushmasters, but don’t like the black paint on them.

I like the price & much of the sound of the Roush axle-backs (also $399), but don’t like the popping in the videos.

I like the Stainless Works cat-back, which uses the same type of muffling (chambered) I had on my 1972 Corvette convertible (aftermarket exhaust mimicking side pipe sound but routed under the car thru stock location) - resulting in absolute music with the top down – but am fearful they’d be too loud as my 2011 GT vert is my DD (most of the time at least). I also don’t like the $850 price.

I don’t much like the sounds of the Magnaflows (I want to but don’t) nor the Corsas. I felt they (esp. the Corsas) sounded too tinny/European. Unlike some on this forum, I actually WANT that V8 rumble but w/o drone. If I wanted a Formula-1 sound I’d have bought a V6/I6 import.

The Bassanis seem in-between on the above, so I am not sure on those.

Honestly I like the sound quality/tone of the stock exhaust, just wish it was a bit louder.

The bottom line is that it’s very difficult to assess much on-line with my tinny work & laptop PC’s speakers. Headphones make a big difference, but hearing them in person would be best, and that would entail waiting until I hear enough of them on 5.0s at local shows, which is longer than I want to wait. Crap.

Last edited by Double-EDad; 8/27/10 at 10:17 AM.
Old 8/27/10, 10:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Hey Shotzy, good Q’s.

I like the sound & price of the Flowmaster Hushmasters, but don’t like the black paint on them.

I like the price & much of the sound of the Roush axle-backs (also $399), but don’t like the popping in the videos.

I like the Stainless Works cat-back, which uses the same type of muffling (chambered) I had on my 1972 Corvette convertible (aftermarket exhaust mimicking side pipe sound but routed under the car thru stock location) - resulting in absolute music with the top down – but am fearful they’d be too loud as my 2011 GT vert is my DD (most of the time at least). I also don’t like the $850 price.

I don’t much like the sounds of the Magnaflows (I want to but don’t) nor the Corsas. I felt they (esp. the Corsas) sounded too tinny/European. Unlike some on this forum, I actually WANT that V8 rumble but w/o drone. If I wanted a Formula-1 sound I’d have bought a V6/I6 import.

The Bassanis seem in-between on the above, so I am not sure on those.

Honestly I like the sound quality/tone of the stock exhaust, just wish it was a bit louder.

The bottom line is that it’s very difficult to assess much on-line with my tinny work & laptop PC’s speakers. Headphones make a big difference, but hearing them in person would be best, and that would entail waiting until I hear enough of them on 5.0s at local shows, which is longer than I want to wait. Crap.
I was really considering the Hushpowers as well until one poster said there is definate drone when accelerating in 6th gear. Since most of my time is highway in 6th that is out. Especially since I just switched the rear to 4.10's.

And borla claims no drone under any conditions and I am hoping bassani is as well.

Kinda like the description of the borla touring but really want to hear them.
Old 8/27/10, 02:18 PM
Cobra R Member

Especially since I just switched the rear to 4.10's.
Yet another mod you've done that I want to do (3.73 would be enuf for me). How about we just switch cars? Can we?!?
Old 8/27/10, 02:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Yet another mod you've done that I want to do (3.73 would be enuf for me). How about we just switch cars? Can we?!?
Sure but you have to take my wife with it. Because she would kill me if I started over again......lol
Old 8/27/10, 03:04 PM
Team Mustang Source

Be patient guys, Steve will post a sound clip with Bassani axle back exhaust as soon as he gets back, which should be very shortly. I'll have mine on probably by next friday..... hopefully.
Old 8/27/10, 03:20 PM
Bullitt Member

I am trying.

But as you know it is not easy
Old 8/27/10, 05:05 PM
Cobra R Member

I am trying.

But as you know it is not easy
Captain Insta-Mods: Truer words have never been spoken.

PS - re. your other Q, I already have a wife who is not just irritated that I got a 2011 GT, but also irritated that it was a convertible. I guess I'll have to get that wind blocker, but then where do the kids go? Kind of a catch-22. Crap.
Old 8/28/10, 08:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I don't understand this obsession with having no drone on the freeway. It started to pop up more and more with the 05+ guys, and I'm betting it's due to the new refinements of the S197 attracting new/different buyers than the typical Mustang buyer. Guys you bought Mustangs. They are supposed to be loud. I actually like some exhaust drone. I like my car to remind me it's still running and not make me fall asleep on the freeway. If you wanted a quiet freeway cruiser, Lexus would be happy to sell you any one of their (deathtraps) cars!

Now that I got that out. I still like the Bassanis best for these cars. Do yourself a favor and listen to the clips with a decent set of speakers and subwoofer. You get a much better representation of the bass that the exhaust puts out.
Old 8/28/10, 06:37 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
I don't understand this obsession with having no drone on the freeway. It started to pop up more and more with the 05+ guys, and I'm betting it's due to the new refinements of the S197 attracting new/different buyers than the typical Mustang buyer. Guys you bought Mustangs. They are supposed to be loud. I actually like some exhaust drone. I like my car to remind me it's still running and not make me fall asleep on the freeway. If you wanted a quiet freeway cruiser, Lexus would be happy to sell you any one of their (deathtraps) cars!

Now that I got that out. I still like the Bassanis best for these cars. Do yourself a favor and listen to the clips with a decent set of speakers and subwoofer. You get a much better representation of the bass that the exhaust puts out.
Nice loud broadband sound is not the same as a drone, which is more of a system resonance at one or more frequencies and possibly their harmonics. It's this resonant tone that eventually becomes fatiguing to listen to.

As an example, we once rented a 2005 odyssey that had a drone on the highway on its stock system. We know Honda fixed that b/c we haven't had the same issue with our nearly-identical 2006 Odyssey. So it wasn't loud, but it was irritating. I once test drove a BMW 540i (with a 4-cam 32V V8, hmmmm) that had an aftermarket muffler (generic flowmaster I believe) and so I can say from experience that the louder the drone the more quickly one wants it gone.

Of course at some point too loud simply becomes too frickin' loud, but that's not the "drone" concern. Everyone has their own threshold for this because we all hear things differently. You auditory experience may vary.

Re. the Bassanis I am now leaning that way, but would really like to hear the Borlas first (with less juvenile footage than with the V6).

Quick Reply: Where R the Borla Sound Clips?