2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Whats the appeal of the glass roof?

Search this Thread

Old 6/11/12, 08:46 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
These were the tough decisions when I ordered - every option.

Glass roof - my wife and I both do not care for them. A coupe is a coupe.
Electronics - Not in the best position and dated quickly. Going for the (more relatively) classic look. I prefer my latest e-gadget stuck to the windshield at road-eye-level when I need that.
Recaros - beautiful seats, but not built for long country drives we take. Passing on them may be my biggest mistake, or not. This one still tears me. I can always fix that later.
Track Pack - I got the SVTPP, but the coolers only seem useful if you plan to go across Texas at 150 in the summer or rip around Sebring or Laguna. I will probably do neither. (A couple around Lime Rock is the most I'll ever see)

Why not get it all is a great question for these cars, and my first impulse was to do so. Just get what you want was my 2nd impulse, we'll see if I regret it.
Old 6/11/12, 08:54 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
I felt the same way about the electronics as outta phase, but the other things (coolers, recaros) I went with because I AM going to be driving across Texas more than once in it and it will spend copious amounts of time on various tracks. I went without the glass roof for two reasons: I will NEVER think it's clean enough, and I'm so overconfident in my ability to drive the car that I think the 200lbs of extra weight will actually affect my times on tracks. :P Plus the price didn't seem worth the cool factor to me.
Old 6/11/12, 09:44 PM
GT Member

I don't take my car to the track - that's not why I bought it. I bought it to drive it and enjoy it on the local roads. I close the shade, and it feels like a coupe. I open it, and it (almost) seems like a vert. I'm tall, so my seat is all the way back - therefore, it makes it quite visible in my peripheral vision and "opens the car much more than slightly." It's amazing to drive with it open on a cool/cold day, and let the sun shine down on you - quite a mood lifter.

Like I've said in other posts, it's (by far) my favorite option.
Attached Thumbnails Whats the appeal of the glass roof?-p1100298aa.jpg   Whats the appeal of the glass roof?-glass-roof.jpg   Whats the appeal of the glass roof?-p1100341.jpg  
Old 6/11/12, 09:55 PM
V6 Member

Awesome pictures, Lava Dude! I added the Glass Roof option to my order after I learned I was going to save money through incentives. I am very glad I did! My girlfriend and brother love it as well. I didn't know it added 28 pounds though...oh well, I don't even notice it.

The only option I regret is the remote start. It doesn't work like I thought it would. The engine dies if you open the door immediately after starting. Actually, it would be great if someone could explain it to me. It wasn't that expensive so I guess it's all good.
Old 6/11/12, 10:12 PM
Calgon Take Me Away!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Lava Dude
I don't take my car to the track - that's not why I bought it. I bought it to drive it and enjoy it on the local roads. I close the shade, and it feels like a coupe. I open it, and it (almost) seems like a vert. I'm tall, so my seat is all the way back - therefore, it makes it quite visible in my peripheral vision and "opens the car much more than slightly." It's amazing to drive with it open on a cool/cold day, and let the sun shine down on you - quite a mood lifter.

That's just awesome.
Old 6/11/12, 10:22 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I should qualify my "I don't like it" comment. I don't like the glass roof on the Shelby because it breaks the stripes, but I wouldn't mind it on a mustang that wasn't striped.
Old 6/12/12, 07:41 AM
GT Member

I love my glass roof! I couldn't justify a convertible in my climate. The glass roof gives me an enjoyable amount of light with comfortable temps & airflow. The panoramic view is tremendous when I drive through the canyons.

But I wish it opened... even a couple of inches in the back.
Old 6/12/12, 09:17 AM
GT Member

I would have preferred a sunroof but the glass roof is the next best thing (for the cost at least...convertible added more than I feel it is worth)

Old 6/12/12, 09:20 AM
Calgon Take Me Away!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've never had a car with a functional sunroof so I think the glass roof is an awesome option.
Old 6/12/12, 09:40 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does anyone know if you can have a dealership install this post purchase? I have a 2006 and would love to add this in the future, but CDC is no longer making them, so my only recourse would be to have a factory one installed by a dealership.

Thanks,
Danny
Old 6/12/12, 10:19 AM
GT Member

I love mine. It feels open. not claustraphobic. more head room. Wow factor. Sun shining on me even in the winter. looking up and seeing the moon. It puts a smile on my face all the time.
Old 6/12/12, 10:30 AM
GT Member

When I was planning out the options for mine, I kept going back and forth on it. Mostly because I couldn't make up my mind, I didn't get it. Still not sure if I regret it or not. Without it IMO it feels more like a classic muscle car, but those pictures that were posted are pretty stunning and I do have to duck a bit to see some traffic lights when I'm first up.
Old 6/12/12, 10:44 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i love the looks of a coupe more than a vert

i had a vert and miss it on days

i was torn on this on my order as well...i decided not to get it...i couldnt justify the 2grand on it

plus i didnt want to scrape it in the winter lol
Old 6/12/12, 10:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
I don't like it, but I'm guessing it's the feeling of an open mustang without the ****ing up of your hair of a convertible. lol
Seems most guys I see in a convertible don't have much of a messing hair problem.
Old 6/12/12, 11:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kinyodas

Seems most guys I see in a convertible don't have much of a messing hair problem.
Hahaha if you see a guy in a convertible, he has a bigger problem than hair. LOL
Old 6/12/12, 11:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Lava Dude

This.

The added natural light coming in through the roof feels great. I bought my '99 used with a sunroof and although I would have never added a sunroof myself, I loved having it.

I would have gotten it on my '09 if I could've found one at the time with the model year ending, I couldn't order one though it was priced just out of what I felt comfortable paying for it anyway.
Old 6/12/12, 11:20 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by David Young
It would be nice to be caught in a softball size hail storm . That, and the extra weight (28 lbs. i think) is why i didn't want a glass roof.
I would think if your getting hit by that big of hail you would have no windows or car left. I would not worry about the 28lb increase in weight as I bet almost everyone could lose a a few pounds by not going to the fast food joints. It has also been talked about on other forums that the glass roof actually adds rigidity verses the thin flexible metal roof. Maybe it does not but just thinking glass does not flex a whole lot. Another thing you have it easier no need to wax the top.

Last edited by dusman59; 6/12/12 at 11:23 AM.
Old 6/12/12, 11:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dusman59

I would think if your getting hit by that big of hail you would have no windows or car left. I would not worry about the 28lb increase in weight as I bet almost everyone could lose a a few pounds by not going to the fast food joints. It has also been talked about on other forums that the glass roof actually add rigidity verses the thin flexible metal roof. Maybe it does not but just thinking glass does not flex a whole lot.
What's hail??
Old 6/12/12, 12:16 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I would get it on a black/dark grey/dark blue car... that way it's not so obvious. would be a subtle surprise to a passenger. I think its cool, but not for everyone. Breaking up lemans stripes is a good reason for not having it.
Old 6/12/12, 12:55 PM
GT Member

I had one of my friends get in and he said it reminded him of a cockpit in a jet.

Quick Reply: Whats the appeal of the glass roof?