2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

what is your attitude when it comes to MPG

Search this Thread

Old 5/13/12, 11:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For best economy in town, I've found using 2,4,6 yields me the best mpg's and keep the revs under 2k. That being said, I don't generally care about my mpg all that much, I was just satisfying my own curiosity. I bought my 5.0 for the smiles and I've been grinning a lot since I drove it home!
Old 5/13/12, 11:37 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the Avg MPG pretty accurate on the MID? I'm still on my first tank and I don't know yet but mine says Avg MPG 13.X
Old 5/13/12, 11:49 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Will3212
I understand, i guess I'm just not use to it cause I came from a civic ex. I'm not used to getting 10mpg in the city.
Really? You're feeding 8 mouths instead of what - 4?
Old 5/13/12, 11:58 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 643 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by SpiderX1016
Is the Avg MPG pretty accurate on the MID? I'm still on my first tank and I don't know yet but mine says Avg MPG 13.X
I've never checked any of mine manually to compare to the display, but on my 12 year old Explorer I have and its pretty accurate (if anything it would tend to be a little low compared to a manual check). So I'd say the ones on these newer cars should be just as good or better.

Last edited by Rather B.Blown; 5/14/12 at 12:00 AM.
Old 5/14/12, 12:05 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
keep in mind the motor will give better mpg after it breaks in more.
Old 5/14/12, 12:18 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Flagstang
keep in mind the motor will give better mpg after it breaks in more.
oh yeah, I'm not too worried about the mileage right now. I was just wondering if it's accurate.

Once I relax and take it easy, I'm sure it'll go back up.
Old 5/14/12, 12:34 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

I would say its pretty right one.
Old 5/14/12, 01:20 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
Really? You're feeding 8 mouths instead of what - 4?
Indeed, eight very hungry mouths as opposed to four yuppy vegetarian mouths. Huge difference between those two cars. HUGE.
Old 5/14/12, 05:53 AM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm amazed I can pull 23.6 MPG out of my V6 while the cruise is set just under 80 MPH.

If I were serious about max fuel economy, I'd be driving a Priuz (spelling?). Maybe I should cruise a bit slower in the Mustang.
Old 5/14/12, 06:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

No, on the first tank it is definitely not accurate. Assuming you reset it, it starts at 0 mpg and increases as you drive, so it's a little low at the beginning. You generally want to check your average across 3-5 tanks to get a more accurate idea of what it is like.

And to you, the OP, and anyone else who questions gas milage in any car, it's really all about how you drive.

As I displayed to my brother in law with his 5.0, you can "hypermileage" these cars and exceed 30 mpg. The type of driving techniques that you need to adopt to do so are extreme, but with nothing more than a change of driving style it is possible.

I've also proven to my own wife that I can exceed 30 mpg with 95% city rush hour drving in my V6. It's all about how you drive.

That said, my normal average in the V6 is 22 mpg. Hypermileaging is not fun.
Old 5/14/12, 06:48 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Will....switch from the average mpg screen to the one with the changing graph. Drive so you see a higher bar graph all you can. With that screen, you can see close to instant where the lower mpg is at and how the drive effects it. I got tired of the numbers and use the graph all the time.
Old 5/14/12, 08:00 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Over 15,000 miles, my MID says 20.4 and my phone app, which tracks mileage + gas I put into it so it's as accurate as possible, says 21.3 overall. So based on that, the MID is accurate to within 5%, which is pretty good I'd say.
Old 5/14/12, 08:11 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah mine was within 1 mpg hand calculated v the display.

I reset everything at every fill-up or else that can lead to distortions, and one has to remember the display does not average the entire tank (like hand calc does) but the most recent miles driven.
Old 5/14/12, 09:25 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Moustang
..... it's really all about how you drive.

As I displayed to my brother in law with his 5.0, you can "hypermileage" these cars and exceed 30 mpg. The type of driving techniques that you need to adopt to do so are extreme, but with nothing more than a change of driving style it is possible.

I've also proven to my own wife that I can exceed 30 mpg with 95% city rush hour drving in my V6. It's all about how you drive.

That said, my normal average in the V6 is 22 mpg. Hypermileaging is not fun.
O.K. I'll bite. How do you get 30MPG in "city driving"? I have to drive through Orlando traffic in the afternoons...I've turned off the AC, I accellerate slowly (and watch as every other car cuts in front of me...), I try to keep the car moving at a constant rather than stop/go/stop/go, yet my mileage drops from the highway average of 24.3 down to 23.9.

Please explain this "hypermileaging" so I can practice it in the city driving mode. Granted, I drive at a faster speed while highway driving, and completely understand I can get better MPG then, but how do you get 30 MPG in city driving? Please, I want to learn...
Old 5/14/12, 10:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Bucko
O.K. I'll bite. How do you get 30MPG in "city driving"? I have to drive through Orlando traffic in the afternoons...I've turned off the AC, I accellerate slowly (and watch as every other car cuts in front of me...), I try to keep the car moving at a constant rather than stop/go/stop/go, yet my mileage drops from the highway average of 24.3 down to 23.9.

Please explain this "hypermileaging" so I can practice it in the city driving mode. Granted, I drive at a faster speed while highway driving, and completely understand I can get better MPG then, but how do you get 30 MPG in city driving? Please, I want to learn...

First thing........ note that I said the 30 MPG in city driving was with the V6, not the V8. 30 MPG out of the V8 may be possible in the city, but I've never tried it, nor heard of anyone else doing it. 30 MPG is possible out of the V8, but you'' have to be willing to drive a bit below the speed limit on the highway and be a real *** in town to do it. The V8 gets much better gas milage at 60 MPH than it does at 70 MPH. Even better if you can leave it in 6th gear and drive a steady 50-55 MPH. (You can almost reach 40 MPG at 50 MPH if you have the stock gearing)

http://www.wikihow.com/Hypermile

A couple of highlights from that that you should note....

On newer cars (Manual Transmission) if the car is in gear and your foot is off the accelerator, the injectors shut off completely, creating FREE mileage at the cost of some minor engine braking. Engaging the clutch and/or putting the car in neutral causes the car to idle, using up gas as opposed to using none.

Hypermiling is tedious. You have to spend a huge amount of effort learning to minimize acceleration and breaking and attempt to keep the car moving at a steady speed at all times, but it does work.

Case in point, the record set for the 2011-2012 V6 Mustang is 776.5 miles out of a single tank of gas, with an average gas milage of 48.5 mpg. Now, that was set at Bristol Speedway, with the car being driven at a precise 43.9 MPH in 6th gear the whole time, but that shows what can be done.

Last edited by Moustang; 5/14/12 at 10:12 AM.
Old 5/14/12, 11:14 AM
Cobra Member

I also have the V6, but an automatic. I've tried a few of those tips in the article (link you've provided) while in city traffic to improve my mileage without even knowing they were part of this hypermiling. Just applied some common sense.

I've also switched the info center to the "arrow" that points to your best efficient driving (the arrow that slides to the left (poor) and right (best) economy). This reminded my of the "econometer" (vacumn guage) I had on an old Dodge Dart back in the 60's.

Still, I can never squeeze anymore than 23.8/23.9 in the city. But I'll keep trying.

Last edited by Bucko; 5/14/12 at 11:20 AM.
Old 5/14/12, 11:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Will3212
Just last night I put $20 89 octane gas into my mustang, went to the city, when I got back the gas light was on once again.
Why are you putting $20 in? It's not 1987 where that will actually get you somewhere...
Old 5/14/12, 11:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fat Boss
Why are you putting $20 in? It's not 1987 where that will actually get you somewhere...
This car is definitely is not made for him. He should sell it and buy something else, not question about it. Is just not working for him. I mean you leave in one of the busiest city in the country - bumper to bumper traffic, red light to red light -and you go buy a 5.0 liter V8 and your expect Honda Civic fuel economy? I'm wrong here? Either this guy doesn't know a lot about cars or he is just trying to
Old 5/14/12, 12:01 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

he should by a fiesta
Old 5/14/12, 12:17 PM
GT Member

I was just happy to see this today
Attached Thumbnails what is your attitude when it comes to MPG-imag0335-1.jpg  

Quick Reply: what is your attitude when it comes to MPG