2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

What happened to the 6 disc cd player?!

Search this Thread

Old 4/27/10, 10:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
True, MP3s don't sound as good as a CD, but I can't really tell much difference when I'm driving. You could always go with AAC, WMA or WAV. If you can hear the difference while driving, by all means keep using CDs.
Old 4/27/10, 11:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Welp I put in a Kenwood DDR 12 Nav,DvD,Bluetooth System But yeah, I take my Ipod Nano, I have the cord in my center console. I basically take my CD's, rip em to my Itunes lib, create playlists and plug in. Done deal.

On the exp, I do the same just using the sync. Good system and works well IMO. The days of 6 in dash CD's changer are going bye bye bye. Hell you cannot even find 6 changers plug ins in the aftermarket now.
Old 4/27/10, 11:06 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
That's another issue. In these cars, it's hard to discern the increase in sound quality at speed, even more so with the factory sound system. I've shown my dad how the USB drives are even better than his iPod for the car. He has an 08 Fusion with Sync so I had him pick up a pair of 4gb USB drives for $15. He keeps a variety of music on them in folders, making it even easier to call up whatever he wants. You old farts will love it. And I'm sure most of you wouldn't hear a difference in sound, especially with your loud exhausts. Try to rip the mp3s in at least 320kb/s...
Old 4/27/10, 11:08 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by coffeejolts
True, MP3s don't sound as good as a CD, but I can't really tell much difference when I'm driving. You could always go with AAC, WMA or WAV. If you can hear the difference while driving, by all means keep using CDs.
I'm in agreement. When I listen to music, it's CDs thru a decent home stereo. When I'm hearing music as background, it doesn't really matter what format the source is.
Old 4/27/10, 11:17 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by eci
Devolving actually. MP3's suck. Whole generation of kids who have no clue what audio quality is. Bunch of tone deaf morons with no taste for quality. I'm 34, not 87 so don't go there.
I have to agree with eci here, MP3's sound very poor. I find the difference very noticable at home and in the car. I would love the convenience of having my music library at my fingertips though...I wish my '05 had a USB port.
Old 4/27/10, 11:25 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can still get a universal add-on CD changer but they are RF transmitter types so you lose a little in the broadcast, but at least you get 6 discs in the changer.
Old 4/27/10, 11:46 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
Hey hey hey. I use my CDs when I can, and when I go on a longer trip I burn my CDs in the original format, or at least Lossless. Now if we could get the Electronics Package head unit to play DVD-Audio, we'd be in business. But I agree, everyone just wants as much music as possible in their pocket (/in their dash). I don't get it. You can only listen to one CD at a time...
It's not even that...
its the fact that everything is digital now, and because of that there will never be that 'needle on the record' re-creation of sound. As much as it would like to, nothing can replace the physical contact...

ECI probably has a turn-table installed in his GT500...
Old 4/27/10, 12:37 PM
V6 Member

I think it sounds a bit better than an MP3 when iTunes rips a CD.

Last edited by Palmateer; 4/27/10 at 01:18 PM.
Old 4/27/10, 02:01 PM
eci
Banned

Originally Posted by Boomer
It's not even that...
its the fact that everything is digital now, and because of that there will never be that 'needle on the record' re-creation of sound. As much as it would like to, nothing can replace the physical contact...

ECI probably has a turn-table installed in his GT500...
CD's are digital bro. I don't like records, never owned any.
Old 4/27/10, 02:09 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In the several years I've been playing MP3 CD's in my last two cars, I've never had a passenger remark that the sound quality wasn't as good as an original CD. If I'm at home listening intently through some headphones, I may be able to tell the difference between CD and 128 KB MP3, depending on what the music is. I sure wouldn't be able to tell the difference when I'm driving down the road. I suppose my hearing is not as acute as the rest of yours.

Does having imperfect hearing really warrant calling someone a tone-deaf moron, though? I suppose if someone has less than 20/20 vision and wears glasses, we can safely assume they're also mentally deficient?
Old 4/27/10, 02:19 PM
Bullitt Member

I have a strong feeling that the CD player in my car will never be used. I don't own a single CD. Everything is digital.
Old 4/27/10, 03:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Palmateer
I think it sounds a bit better than an MP3 when iTunes rips a CD.
iTunes rips at like 360 kbps, pretty much the highest quality. Other software may not default as highly. Usually I see 256 or even 128. I personally use a Variable Bit Rate which in theory uses only the bit rate it needs when ripping, and changes the bitrate rapidly to suit that particular segment of the song. I can't notice a difference, and it saves disk space.
Old 4/27/10, 03:02 PM
eci
Banned

Originally Posted by kierankelly
I have a strong feeling that the CD player in my car will never be used. I don't own a single CD. Everything is digital.
CD's are digital.
Old 4/27/10, 03:09 PM
GT Member

So how do I convert my iTunes library to MP3 for use on a flash drive, but still leave me iTunes library as it is on my computer?
Old 4/27/10, 03:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by eci
CD's are digital.
Does every post you make on here have to be a smartass response?

You clearly know what I mean, but decided to be an *** about it anyways.

Let me make it clearer I guess. I don't own any CDs and I don't plan on using the CD player at all, considering I have my iPods and my iPhone.

That better?
Old 4/27/10, 05:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxhenry
So how do I convert my iTunes library to MP3 for use on a flash drive, but still leave me iTunes library as it is on my computer?
Just open the thumb drive folder and drag the files from your library to the folder. Then eject. Then place in USB port of your car. Enjoy

If you want to be fancy, you can make different titled folders in your thumb drive folder, such as certain Artists or Genres. For example, make a folder title "Jazz" and put all your jazz music in there. Make another folder titled "Guns 'N Roses" and put all your Guns 'N Roses in there. Got it?
Old 4/27/10, 05:35 PM
GT Member

Just open the thumb drive folder and drag the files from your library to the folder. Then eject. Then place in USB port of your car. Enjoy
Thank you!
Old 4/27/10, 05:39 PM
GT Member

By the way, if you use this method, are the songs saved in an MP3 format? I thought that someone else posted that iTunes saves in an MP4 format?
Old 4/27/10, 05:53 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Really, USB and all digital format is the way to go. No mving parts.

My 6 CD turner gets kind of weird sometimes when it gets hot in the summer. It will stop playing and then I have to wait for it to cool down. It's a hassle! USB is the way to go!

Originally Posted by Maxhenry

Last edited by Falchion; 4/27/10 at 05:59 PM.
Old 4/27/10, 09:01 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Lancel
iTunes rips at like 360 kbps, pretty much the highest quality.
Sorry if it seems like I'm bustin' yer chops, Lancel, but iTunes defaults to 128K. Mine is set to 256K VBR and the current version (9.1) tops out at 320 kbps. I've done rips at 320 before, but I generally don't see the point. I find 256K VBR to be plenty representative of the music content. And while eci can no doubt hear the difference between 256K VBR and lossless with the windows down at 80 MPH, I doubt the rest of us could.

Last edited by trane; 4/27/10 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Typo fix!

Quick Reply: What happened to the 6 disc cd player?!