Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

What Ford needs to do for 2010!!

Search this Thread

Old 6/23/07, 08:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What Ford needs to do for 2010!!

When 2010 rolls around the Pony Wars would have heated up with the new Camaro and Challenger. Thank Ford for this because not so long ago Chevy said that the Monte Carlo SS would be suffice competition and Dodge said the then new Charger was ready to take on Mustang. The 2005 Mustang started a frenzy within the competitors skunkworks. The Camaro shop even had a Mustang sitting within their styling studio. Ford has the upper hand with the Mustang already proven itself with a new platform and it's well on it's way to paying for itself ahead of Camaro and Challenger. Also both competitors cars will have been seen close to three years prior to launch which will make them long in the tooth when officially introduced. Both cars will probably be seen in somewhat present form for a decade when it's time for a replacement. The Camaro looked to 1969 for it's rendition and Dodge pulled a 1970 Brochure off the shelf for it's renewal. This alienates fans of other model year cars that came and "went" throughout their life cycle. The 2005 mustang took the best of 40 years and gave the new car a unique character that shows after just four years that people can make it any year they want by adding certain tweaks to the body. I've seen hints of '65, '67, '69/'70, even '03/'04 styling intertwined within the S197 platform. This will be hard for both Chevy and Dodge.
So with that said the 2010 Mustang should surprise us because it will be something new for all to see. To save money and R&D Ford should look to what they have and add new innovations that will make Mustang a cut above the competition. Some want more HP but I'd take refined sytle and added comfort and accessories over something I can add later myself (CAI, SC, Exhaust, etc.) So here is my opinion....
Three distinct models. Mustang, Mustang GT, Mustang GT-P
We've been bombarded with Special Editions to the point they have become
less special and more mainstream. So Ford, leave the SE's to the aftermarket. Although I rendered a Bullitt from the CAD drawings in 2003 and have been waiting to see what Ford comes out with I can't see paying third parties loads of money for rights and legal stuff when you can take it and put it into product. This will give you more time and energy to focus on your three. All three should/will have better interior materials and plastics. Take a tip from Australia on seating and bolstering.

MUSTANG: The Base V6 with added features and more HP from the 3.7 litre.
Keep this car live axle with 17" standard and 18" optional wheels. Add more colors to the palette by taking the MyColor out and changing ALL Ford products to the "ICE" Blue interior lighting.
Side note: Ford Blue, Mercury Green and Lincoln Crystal White Lighting.

MUSTANG GT: Bump HP to 350-360. Live rear axle. 6 speed. Use current GT500 suspension and FRPP parts from factory. 2 Unique colors for GT only. 17/18" Wheels

Mustang GT-P: Don't even have to apply for the name trademark...use Australia's FPV Division...you can even use their emblem...
This GT-Plus is the new "SVO". Twinforce V6, 6 speed, IRS, and even more highend materials. 370-380 HP. 18/19" Wheels

Again leave the stickers and stripes and high ADM's for Saleen and Shelby. Let Roush add their stylings, and the customers that take a little from everyone and make it their own. This will blow away the Camaro and Challenger that will surely copy Ford again with Stickers and SE's...I can see it now SS, RS, Z28, T/A, R/T, SR/T...Maybe I should get into the Vinyl Tape Business?

Ford in 2010 should be great...New Fiesta, Fusion, F-150, MKZ, Milan, MKC,
Mustang, and whatever other secrets they have up their sleeves.
Old 6/23/07, 08:40 PM
Team Mustang Source

Not to fear. With the Money Crisis in the big three, GM is only doing the Camaro because its ready for production, and Chrysler may as yet axe the Challenger, although Canadian plants are geared up for it. With that said, if they are NOT "a blow them out the door" hit, they will be short lived. Long live the Mustang.

Remember you heard it here first.
Old 6/23/07, 09:01 PM
Team Mustang Source

While you are shipping over the IRS

ship these over too...Please!

and some badges...badges...we do need these stinkin' badges

and the push button start...

Old 6/23/07, 11:51 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Nice seats !
Old 6/24/07, 01:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
really nice seats, I wish some of those overseas cars would come here.
Old 6/24/07, 07:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agree about the seats, I find it almost comical that even the Super Snake which will cost about 70k has the same crappy seats as plain Jane V6's, it's almost as if Ford is scared of putting bolsters in their seats..
Old 6/24/07, 04:44 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I agree wioth it all except make the v-8 and option on the GT-P
Old 6/24/07, 04:54 PM
FR500 Member

Nice ideas. Ford, are you listening? (crickets)
Old 6/24/07, 07:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Fors needs to be agressive about things. It's too bad most of the Ford execs seem to think we car buffs are just plain stupid.
Old 6/24/07, 08:51 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

My take:

I can care less about the V6 as long as it sells.

GT: 5.4L N/A motor making 400 hp. Let's make the Mustang a truely modern car and get rid of the 1960's technology SRA. All Mustangs should use the Aussie IRS rear in order to drive down cost of the unit (economies of scale). Standard 6 speed manual transmission and 6 speed Automatic with paddle shifters. Give us an optional sport package with a stiffer suspension and GT500 14" brakes. I'd pay 32K for the car if Ford was to bring it to market.
Old 6/25/07, 01:13 PM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
The problem is all the fat americans that can't fit between the bolsters.
Old 6/25/07, 02:17 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by AWmustang
The problem is all the fat americans that can't fit between the bolsters.
Simple solution....Inflatable bolsters. My father's 545i has them and they are really nice. If you want a snug fit, simply inflate them.
Old 6/25/07, 11:07 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by max2000jp
My take:

I can care less about the V6 as long as it sells.

GT: 5.4L N/A motor making 400 hp. Let's make the Mustang a truely modern car and get rid of the 1960's technology SRA.
Naw, lets keep the SRA and add IRS as well, there is room for both.
Old 6/26/07, 06:22 AM
Cobra Member

Although I believe both the Camaro and the Challenger are going to be very nice cars. Maybe even superior to the Mustang, I too believe history will repeat its self, and the last car standing will be the Ford Mustang.

GM & Chrysler feel obligated to bring out the Camaro & Challenger. They really didn't want to get back into the "pony" or "muscle car" race again. In a strange way, I believe Ford really doesn't want to produce the Mustang either. Its fans & buyers like us that keeps this style of car alive. You can also thank the Multi-Billion dollar Classic car industry as well.

Old 6/26/07, 11:46 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by bob
Naw, lets keep the SRA and add IRS as well, there is room for both.
Why? The competition will have IRS rears and it makes sense to sell one rear end for the Mustang platform to drive down cost. No performance car besides the Mustang uses a SRA. The only reason Ford doesn't change over is cost.
Old 6/26/07, 03:41 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Why? The competition will have IRS rears and it makes sense to sell one rear end for the Mustang platform to drive down cost. No performance car besides the Mustang uses a SRA. The only reason Ford doesn't change over is cost.
Not to mention that engineering the chassis to accept both will only exaggerate weight and balance issues.

I was a proponent of keeping SRA for this generation Mustang becuase it made sense. There was no real competition in the segment to create a handling war, the car was a primarially-NA vehicle, the cost saving was needed due to Ford's financial troubles, and the reliability of SRA was a definite consideration with Ford in Quality Control trouble. But For the next-gen Mustang all those factors have changed. There will be IRS-equipped competition, the car will at the very least share a global platform and may be exported in strength, the cost-saving of SRA is no longer evident when the sourced platform will probably be IRS, and Ford's quality control has vastly improved. The next-gen Mustang should have IRS.
Old 6/26/07, 07:37 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Y'know if the Mustang costs 500.00 more than the competition and offers a choice between IRS and SRA I'm fine with that, If it was a no cost option (meaning the sticker reflected the price of an IRS equipped car even though we know SRA to be cheaper) I'd be fine with that too.

The why's and what for's have been debated ceaselessly here and on every other forum where the subject comes up. I'm simply going to say that I like the current chassis and for what I use it for, its spot on.

If Ford can cater to both types of enthusiasts for a modest difference in price, why not?
Old 6/26/07, 07:40 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Moosetang
Not to mention that engineering the chassis to accept both will only exaggerate weight and balance issues.
The current car looks to be the lightweight one of the bunch. the F5 is gonna weigh more and the Challenger (which seems to be more of a mid-sized coupe rather than a pony car) is going to weigh more.
Old 6/27/07, 12:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought that the projected price for the Camaro was supposed to be around 40K... Doesn't that make it completely out of Mustang GT territory anyway?
Old 6/27/07, 02:07 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by cntchds
I thought that the projected price for the Camaro was supposed to be around 40K... Doesn't that make it completely out of Mustang GT territory anyway?
In reality yes, but even in that case it would still be compared against the GT-500 and Shelbies. ANd I don't count on any publications around today to point out that the -500 has to share much with a sub-$20k car that a $30-40k base Camaro wouldn't.

Quick Reply: What Ford needs to do for 2010!!