Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

What color stripes?

Search this Thread

Old 6/16/14, 05:45 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What color stripes?

For the last few weeks I've really been considering putting stripes on my car. Something that will give the car a little more contrast if you know what I mean. So should I put stripes, and if yes what color and what kind of stripes? Here's my car:
Attached Thumbnails What color stripes?-20140607_183232_richtone-hdr-edited.jpg  

Last edited by alecmets2011; 6/16/14 at 05:51 PM.
Old 6/16/14, 06:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I really like stripes personally. I think with black I would do a Flat Black stripe. But really anything goes with black. You just need to pick a accent color and stick with it as your theme.
Old 6/16/14, 08:31 PM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
I also have a black GT but it's a 'vert....I had an appointment to have a pair of 10" charcoal stripes to be installed last week, but I got cold feet.

Almost every black Mustang I see in person has stripes, and a good majority of those here on the forum have stripes as well. I just had the car lowered and a set of Boss 302S wheels installed and it's personality has changed. Now I want to be different and keep mine naked.

I did a major detailing with waxing this weekend, and the car still looks wet. I'm reluctant to bury that effect under vinyl stripes.

But if I do eventually get them, I think matte black would be the way to go.

Tom
Old 6/17/14, 07:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I personally like the stripes on these cars and the black base color is an open canvas to choose whatever color stripe you want or like. The sky is the limit! My car is black and I considered flat black stripes until I noticed there are already a lot of cars and trucks out there with that scheme and I just wasn’t seeing the stripes because they blend in too much with the base color. I tossed that idea and looked for custom color that really popped in the sun. The “Sexy Red” candy apple (House of Colors as I recall) gets a lot of complements. My only regret is I wish it would be as bright under lower light conditions.

If you go the vinyl route, you can get nearly the same array of custom colors as you can with paint. The down side with vinyl is it can shrink and it usually dulls off after a while. The upside is it's a lot cheaper and can easily be replaced when they deteriorate. Painted stripes are permanent and the color and paint shop need to be carefully chosen. Cost is about three times that of vinyl. However, when done correctly there is no comparison between vinyl and paint; Painted wins every time hands down and when cleared over look like they’re inches deep.

These are in-your- face cars so if you decide to go with stripes, choose a color that sends the right message to onlookers! Bumble bees and corral snakes are brightly colored and contrasting for a reason. The colors are warning us not to mess with them!

John

Last edited by Horspla; 6/17/14 at 07:33 AM.
Old 6/17/14, 09:03 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Horspla
I personally like the stripes on these cars and the black base color is an open canvas to choose whatever color stripe you want or like. The sky is the limit! My car is black and I considered flat black stripes until I noticed there are already a lot of cars and trucks out there with that scheme and I just wasn’t seeing the stripes because they blend in too much with the base color. I tossed that idea and looked for custom color that really popped in the sun. The “Sexy Red” candy apple (House of Colors as I recall) gets a lot of complements. My only regret is I wish it would be as bright under lower light conditions.

If you go the vinyl route, you can get nearly the same array of custom colors as you can with paint. The down side with vinyl is it can shrink and it usually dulls off after a while. The upside is it's a lot cheaper and can easily be replaced when they deteriorate. Painted stripes are permanent and the color and paint shop need to be carefully chosen. Cost is about three times that of vinyl. However, when done correctly there is no comparison between vinyl and paint; Painted wins every time hands down and when cleared over look like they’re inches deep.

These are in-your- face cars so if you decide to go with stripes, choose a color that sends the right message to onlookers! Bumble bees and corral snakes are brightly colored and contrasting for a reason. The colors are warning us not to mess with them!

John
I see what you mean about flat black stripes. They do look great, but the main reason I'm considering stripes in the first place is for better contrast.

Red stripes look great in my opinion, but not with stock silver wheels IMO. So if I did red stripes, pretty soon after I'd be in the market for wheels. Probably black ones. But that's just extra cash i don't want to spend that soon.

That brings me to dark gray or just gray stripes. I've seen some photos of this and I like the contrast, but I haven't been able to find a picture with a style of stripes that I like.
Old 6/17/14, 01:41 PM
GT Member

What do you guys think about this?
Attached Thumbnails What color stripes?-p9241415.jpg   What color stripes?-rear43.jpg  
Old 6/17/14, 01:55 PM
Cobra Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
save your money and do something better

aka performance
Old 6/17/14, 02:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by xtc.inc
save your money and do something better aka performance
I like the gray, but I agree with this. Unless you never plan any performance mods, I don't get the want to pay for stripes before anything else.

IMO of course, these cars need, before anything else, exhaust, tint, and suspension (lowering, and doing it correctly - new shocks and struts, springs, relocation brackets, CC plates and PHB).
Old 6/17/14, 02:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
BLACK GT WITH SILVER STRIPES

Originally Posted by alecmets2011

PERFECT!!!!!
Old 6/17/14, 05:10 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
I thinks they look great!
Old 6/17/14, 05:19 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Looks good...go for it...you have enough performance. ..m
Old 6/17/14, 06:40 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
I like the gray, but I agree with this. Unless you never plan any performance mods, I don't get the want to pay for stripes before anything else.

IMO of course, these cars need, before anything else, exhaust, tint, and suspension (lowering, and doing it correctly - new shocks and struts, springs, relocation brackets, CC plates and PHB).
Exhaust and tint are done. No plans for suspension mods. I'm happy with the way it looks and rides now. Plus my back can't take a much stiffer ride.

I plan to keep her mostly stock. After this maybe some wheels to use in the summer, and keep the stock ones for winter.
Old 6/17/14, 07:13 PM
GT Member

Now just one problem. I have know idea what kind of stripes those are. The photos are from someone on AFM, who hasn't been active in over a year...
Old 6/17/14, 07:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Exhaust and tint are done. No plans for suspension mods. I'm happy with the way it looks and rides now. Plus my back can't take a much stiffer ride. I plan to keep her mostly stock. After this maybe some wheels to use in the summer, and keep the stock ones for winter.
Sounds like a plan. Do those stripes and the Late Model Resto SVE Drifts in Dark Stainless!
Old 6/17/14, 07:55 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Those stripes look Fantastic. That is what I would go with. If you want a subtle look put on Black Matt or Semi Gloss strips.

What color are those stripes?

Put on what you like not what others do. The Matt look will be out before you know it.
Old 6/17/14, 08:19 PM
Bullitt Member

I have a black GT too and was considering stripes or hashmarks in matte black. Subtle character. Like tripleblack, I'm on the fence about getting them because car looks clean and mean the way it is.

Personally, I would go with vinyl, just in case you change your mind. Even though painted stripes would definitely look better, you can achieve the same look with decals.

I did see this the other day though. Thought I wouldn't like a white stripe, but it looks pretty bada**!

What color stripes?-image-494143876.jpg

It's really up to you and what you like! Subtle black matte or grey, or loud colored stripe - I don't think you can go wrong in either direction. Black is such a blank canvas and it's great that we have so many options to make our cars our own.
Old 6/17/14, 09:42 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Petunia
I have a black GT too and was considering stripes or hashmarks in matte black. Subtle character. Like tripleblack, I'm on the fence about getting them because car looks clean and mean the way it is.

Personally, I would go with vinyl, just in case you change your mind. Even though painted stripes would definitely look better, you can achieve the same look with decals.

I did see this the other day though. Thought I wouldn't like a white stripe, but it looks pretty bada**!

Attachment 160522

It's really up to you and what you like! Subtle black matte or grey, or loud colored stripe - I don't think you can go wrong in either direction. Black is such a blank canvas and it's great that we have so many options to make our cars our own.
The problem I have with matte black is that it's barely visible. The whole reason I want stripes in the first place ia contrast.

I agree with you on the white stripes. B@da$$, but it's just not me. A little too much contrast.

Black is a very nice canvas. That's why you see just about every color stripe on them.

I'm not a flashy person so I wouldn't do ghig or grabber stripes, but I'm not a sleeper so I wouldn't do matte black. That's why I like gray. It's kinda in the middle. And it goes with the wheels well.

I just wish I knew where that guy got his stripes. I don't believe they're the ones AM have, but they could be. Just not sure
Old 6/17/14, 09:45 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Jazzman442
Those stripes look Fantastic. That is what I would go with. If you want a subtle look put on Black Matt or Semi Gloss strips.

What color are those stripes?

Put on what you like not what others do. The Matt look will be out before you know it.
The stripes in the photos I posted?

The owner referred to them as this "custom 3m 10 inch graphite stripes"
Old 6/18/14, 03:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

My favorite is red stripes on black, but you also can't go wrong with gray/silver. There is also something about white that I really really like! It's so bold, but you kind of look like a fast skunk.
Old 6/18/14, 06:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Last1
My favorite is red stripes on black, but you also can't go wrong with gray/silver. There is also something about white that I really really like! It's so bold, but you kind of look like a fast skunk.
Or an Oreo cookie.

Quick Reply: What color stripes?