Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Went to the LA Autoshow...new Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 11/24/08, 09:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stangsimon
You're welcome, felt some reality medicine was necessary since so many people comment on something they haven't seen or felt. Nevertheless, had my hands on the car too- all over it. The plastic door panels are no worse than the Audis or VWs I mentioned before. To be fair, the new Z has soft doors, but they are simply vinyl covered plastic with no foam in between and don't have the cushy feel that the Mustang's soft dash and door inserts/armrests do.

Also sat in several of the new BMWs, Porsches, etc and the Camaro ( it was press/industry day so they let people in ). The 135i at a cost of a Mustang GT has a horrible interior. The Porsche Cayenne is a plastic POS inside. just horrible. The switches feel and sound cheap. And the Camaro takes the cake for crap-plastic. I saw flash and parting lines in the pieces around the gauges. All the silver trim is painted plastic, not real metal. The door didn't meet up to the dash in either car ( the SS or the Black V6 ). And the sides of the dash when you open the door were falling off and didn't fit right. I mean, they've been showing this car for some time. The development of production level trim should be further along than this. It was frankly embarassing from a company who delivered the CTS and Malibu interiors.

Do not worry about the Mustangs doors. Ford upgraded the interior where it counts.

My current daily is a 08 328i sedan with sport package and the interior in that car blows the Mustang away as far as quality of materials. The complete door is leather other than the outer shell which is a soft touch material. The complete center stack in the 328i is aluminum. Then again the 328i MSRP'd at $42k after all was added. However even the base 328i has better materials. The 135i has better materials than the Mustang as well, especially the outer door shell. I mean how much more can that cost to get rid of. The 2010 Fusion door panels are of better quality. Although the new Mustang is leaps and bounds better than the base S197 it really isn't that much better than the Premium Trim package you can get in the current car now.

Like I said would it be a "deal breaker", probalby not..but I am somewhat disappointed.
Old 11/24/08, 09:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

How do you know they are the "same junky plastic"? Not all "plastic" is the same. Its the quality and type/formulation of the plastic ( i.e. Soft Touch ABS versus Mold in Color Polypropelene ) as well as the soft touch grain that make the difference. VW, Audi, Honda, etc. still use plastic door panels, but they are of high quality and have soft touch grain. This is what Ford emulated. The 2010 also significantly upgraded the door inserts and armrests, where your arms reside ( unless you hang them out the window, which you shouldn't in a driver's car anyway. )

The big difference between 07-09 Premier Trim and the 2010 is the quality of which the parts fit together. You will notice very few seams, but the ones you see will fit together well and be very small. In addition, the steering wheel is dramatically more comfortable, and the shifter ( automatic ) is much nicer and leather wrapped. So everything you look at, touch, and feel is upgraded.

The new interior rocks, and when I was at the LA Show media/industry days, there were guys from Audi, VW, Honda, Infiniti, Mitsubishi, GM, and Toyota crawling all over the interior of our new Mustang.

It was the same "junky" plastic...I felt it. It was hard with no give or "warmth" to it. The new interior is very nice other than the door panels.
Old 11/24/08, 09:45 AM
MBK
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
Yeah, that's clear from the photos, and I just don't understand it. That hard stuff scratches after a while and feels cheap to the touch. Ah well, couldn't jettison all the Rubbermaid in one refresh, I guess.
check out the honda civic boards, they have the soft stuff on their doors and it gets scuffed and scrathed to s--t. i know, i owned one before the mustang. i would say the softer stuff on the civic is prone to scuffing much much more. i haven't had any problems with the ford in that department.
Old 11/24/08, 10:39 AM
Bullitt Member

How do you know they are the "same junky plastic"? Not all "plastic" is the same. Its the quality and type/formulation of the plastic ( i.e. Soft Touch ABS versus Mold in Color Polypropelene ) as well as the soft touch grain that make the difference. VW, Audi, Honda, etc. still use plastic door panels, but they are of high quality and have soft touch grain. This is what Ford emulated. The 2010 also significantly upgraded the door inserts and armrests, where your arms reside ( unless you hang them out the window, which you shouldn't in a driver's car anyway. )
There was a 2010 Mustang GT at the Charlotte Auto Show which I attended. It DOES have the same junky plastic on the doors and in the back seat area. It was not improved. I have an '07 convertible and when the top is down, this plastic is very visible and looks cheap. I was disappointed to see it was still there. I wouldn't be surprised if a few of the plastic pieces in the backseat area are the exact same parts.

Overall, I agree, the interior is an improvement, the fit and finish is better, and there are certainly more options available.
Old 11/24/08, 11:10 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shifter felt nice

I sat in a GT with a manual tranny and ran through the gears a little. Is this the same set up as in the current stang? I have an auto (1st auto in about 15 years) and have enjoyed it, but this auto felt tighter, much shorter throws than I remember with previous stangs. COMMENTS???
Old 11/24/08, 02:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

I went to the L.A. show yesterday. I really liked the exterior on the 2010 Mustang, especially the dark red covertible on the turnstile. I was less impressed with the interior.

The interior is more impressive in pictures than it is in person. Sitting in the 2010, it didn't feel that much different than my '05. The door panels were the same hard plastic. The dash and IP are definite improvements, but I wasn't blown away by them.

The rear end of the 2010 looks much better in person. The exterior of the 2010 makes the 2005-2009 look old and outdated. It is very nice looking. I like it better than the Camaro in person, even though I have been real impressed with the Camaro from pics that I have seen.
Old 11/24/08, 05:34 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Dave07997S
My current daily is a 08 328i sedan with sport package and the interior in that car blows the Mustang away as far as quality of materials. The complete door is leather other than the outer shell which is a soft touch material. The complete center stack in the 328i is aluminum. Then again the 328i MSRP'd at $42k after all was added. However even the base 328i has better materials. The 135i has better materials than the Mustang as well, especially the outer door shell. I mean how much more can that cost to get rid of. The 2010 Fusion door panels are of better quality. Although the new Mustang is leaps and bounds better than the base S197 it really isn't that much better than the Premium Trim package you can get in the current car now.

Like I said would it be a "deal breaker", probalby not..but I am somewhat disappointed.
My daily driver is an Audi TT and after sitting in the new Mustang interior, I was definitely NOT dissapointed - it is definitely up to Audi/VW levels. I felt the 135i had very cheap interior- bland looking with no details. The vents were especially bad, and there was no consistency in design. And I just don't feel like the BMW interiors have $10K more stuff in them. Must have spent the money on IRS.

There is one very good reason Audi and Ford leave the soft touch off the upper part of the door panels- it wears very badly over time. My friends 328Ci is only a few years old and the whole upper part of the soft door is worn down from him pushing the door open and resting his arm there. I would much prefer the car to look better over time and for Ford to spend the money on the real leather insert w/ contrast stitching and the chrome pony.
Old 11/24/08, 05:36 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by MBK
check out the honda civic boards, they have the soft stuff on their doors and it gets scuffed and scrathed to s--t. i know, i owned one before the mustang. i would say the softer stuff on the civic is prone to scuffing much much more. i haven't had any problems with the ford in that department.
Old 11/25/08, 09:23 AM
GT Member

My daily driver is an Audi TT and after sitting in the new Mustang interior, I was definitely NOT dissapointed - it is definitely up to Audi/VW levels. I felt the 135i had very cheap interior- bland looking with no details. The vents were especially bad, and there was no consistency in design. And I just don't feel like the BMW interiors have $10K more stuff in them. Must have spent the money on IRS.
thats good to know the interior is up to par with Audi