Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Went to the LA Autoshow...new Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 11/23/08, 11:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Went to the LA Autoshow...new Mustang

is gorgeous. I definitely like it better than the 05-09 Stang, the interior is much better than the S197 car. However, a few things I was disappointed with. Would it be a deal breaker....maybe not. The door panels on the car are still of the plastic variety the current car has. The interior of the panel is fitted with a nice material but the outlying material is still a very hard plastic. I just don't understand Ford, you went through the expense and resdisgned the entire interior of the car but left the Ford Focus material door panel..WTF. How much more can this add to an expense of a car especially when you are projected to build almost 100k units of such a year. Another disappointment was they didn't have a car there with the Nav. I desperately wanted to see how they implemented this vs. just seeing a photo on the internet.

Also at the auto show was the 2010 Fusion and the Fusion sport. The interior of this car was extremely nice (if the Fusion has a soft touch door panel why can't the Mustang) and the new look is much better in person than it is in photo.

I will try and post some pics later, but my bandwith on my photo hosing is just about used up and I have to resize them.

BTW, the new Conv. Mustang is absolutely gorgeous. The car looks more compact but it is the same length and such...Ford really nailed this car.

Dave
Old 11/23/08, 11:42 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't feel bad about the door panels. You should see the "cheap" stuff the "New" Camaro is STILL using!!!
Old 11/23/08, 11:50 AM
Bullitt Member

I agree about the door panels. After all the talk about the interior, I was disappointed the door panels were the same junky plastic. IMO, the interior is not that much different in terms of materials quality than a '07 - '09 with the premier interior trim.
Old 11/23/08, 12:06 PM
Team Mustang Source

The Red Vert on the turn table has the Nav Unit.

Also IN the area is "The Mustang Garage" Team. Parts from FORD!!! And YES, a BIG YES, a Billitt Grille, w/o fog lights!!!!
Old 11/23/08, 12:21 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Tispco
I agree about the door panels. After all the talk about the interior, I was disappointed the door panels were the same junky plastic. IMO, the interior is not that much different in terms of materials quality than a '07 - '09 with the premier interior trim.
How do you know they are the "same junky plastic"? Not all "plastic" is the same. Its the quality and type/formulation of the plastic ( i.e. Soft Touch ABS versus Mold in Color Polypropelene ) as well as the soft touch grain that make the difference. VW, Audi, Honda, etc. still use plastic door panels, but they are of high quality and have soft touch grain. This is what Ford emulated. The 2010 also significantly upgraded the door inserts and armrests, where your arms reside ( unless you hang them out the window, which you shouldn't in a driver's car anyway. )

The big difference between 07-09 Premier Trim and the 2010 is the quality of which the parts fit together. You will notice very few seams, but the ones you see will fit together well and be very small. In addition, the steering wheel is dramatically more comfortable, and the shifter ( automatic ) is much nicer and leather wrapped. So everything you look at, touch, and feel is upgraded.

The new interior rocks, and when I was at the LA Show media/industry days, there were guys from Audi, VW, Honda, Infiniti, Mitsubishi, GM, and Toyota crawling all over the interior of our new Mustang.
Old 11/23/08, 02:17 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by stangsimon
How do you know they are the "same junky plastic"? Not all "plastic" is the same. Its the quality and type/formulation of the plastic ( i.e. Soft Touch ABS versus Mold in Color Polypropelene ) as well as the soft touch grain that make the difference.
That's for the lesson, doctor. Since Tispco had his hands on the car, I'll take his word on it.
Old 11/23/08, 02:45 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by VAiN
That's for the lesson, doctor. Since Tispco had his hands on the car, I'll take his word on it.
You're welcome, felt some reality medicine was necessary since so many people comment on something they haven't seen or felt. Nevertheless, had my hands on the car too- all over it. The plastic door panels are no worse than the Audis or VWs I mentioned before. To be fair, the new Z has soft doors, but they are simply vinyl covered plastic with no foam in between and don't have the cushy feel that the Mustang's soft dash and door inserts/armrests do.

Also sat in several of the new BMWs, Porsches, etc and the Camaro ( it was press/industry day so they let people in ). The 135i at a cost of a Mustang GT has a horrible interior. The Porsche Cayenne is a plastic POS inside. just horrible. The switches feel and sound cheap. And the Camaro takes the cake for crap-plastic. I saw flash and parting lines in the pieces around the gauges. All the silver trim is painted plastic, not real metal. The door didn't meet up to the dash in either car ( the SS or the Black V6 ). And the sides of the dash when you open the door were falling off and didn't fit right. I mean, they've been showing this car for some time. The development of production level trim should be further along than this. It was frankly embarassing from a company who delivered the CTS and Malibu interiors.

Do not worry about the Mustangs doors. Ford upgraded the interior where it counts.
Old 11/23/08, 03:48 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had to:

Old 11/23/08, 04:27 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 97svtgoin05gt
Had to:

Old 11/23/08, 04:34 PM
GT Member

sorry double post.
Old 11/23/08, 04:44 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Looks nice
Old 11/23/08, 04:48 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by Dave07997S
However, a few things I was disappointed with. Would it be a deal breaker....maybe not. The door panels on the car are still of the plastic variety the current car has. The interior of the panel is fitted with a nice material but the outlying material is still a very hard plastic.
Yeah, that's clear from the photos, and I just don't understand it. That hard stuff scratches after a while and feels cheap to the touch. Ah well, couldn't jettison all the Rubbermaid in one refresh, I guess.
Old 11/23/08, 04:52 PM
Closet American

The 135i at a cost of a Mustang GT has a horrible interior.
I wouldn't go that far. It's spartan, yes, but the materials are of good quality.
Old 11/23/08, 05:19 PM
Cobra Member

I was also at the LA show yesterday and was really taken with the new mustang's interior. The dash is smokin cool. I did sit in a 6 cyl that had what I assume was the sync nav set up. Liked the look of the whipple quick easy solution to chevy's 400 pony power plant.

I was very very taken with the over all mustang. More muscular quarter panels than before. Didn't love the tail lights in person.
Old 11/23/08, 07:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
PICS from LA

Just got back from LA and I appologize in advance for my camera giving me fits. Here are some pics. Saw the mustang first, saw everything else and came back and saw the mustang again. I like it and would buy it if I didn't have a mustang already. Didn't do enough to make me want to trade mine in. If they threw in a Six speed or 5.0 then yes definetly, but the looks alone on the 10 weren't enough. I can't get over the rear end styling, maybe the aftermarket will impove it. Seems like Ford already has solution for the grill. Check out the accesories pics. Asked every Ford rep there about a 5.0 in the 2011 but it seems I knew more than they did. Not surprised. Favorite mustang I saw was the Agent 47. Would love to get wheel time on that one. Favorite care was the 50 Merc Cobra Movie car. I remember when that movie came out and how much I loved that car. The guy that made it was there and I told him that was the coolest car there. The Jet Turbine Car was cool too.
Attached Thumbnails Went to the LA Autoshow...new Mustang-accessories.jpg   Went to the LA Autoshow...new Mustang-led-taillights.jpg   Went to the LA Autoshow...new Mustang-100_0802.jpg   Went to the LA Autoshow...new Mustang-100_0808.jpg   Went to the LA Autoshow...new Mustang-100_0805.jpg  

Old 11/23/08, 07:32 PM

Pics from La #2

Here are some more.
Attached Thumbnails Went to the LA Autoshow...new Mustang-100_0808.jpg   Went to the LA Autoshow...new Mustang-100_0809.jpg   Went to the LA Autoshow...new Mustang-skeletons.jpg   Went to the LA Autoshow...new Mustang-100_0816.jpg   Went to the LA Autoshow...new Mustang-cobra.jpg  

Old 11/23/08, 07:37 PM

Pics from LA #3

And some more
Attached Thumbnails Went to the LA Autoshow...new Mustang-hot-whels.jpg   Went to the LA Autoshow...new Mustang-4ft-exhaust-tip.jpg   Went to the LA Autoshow...new Mustang-100_0788.jpg   Went to the LA Autoshow...new Mustang-big-brake-kit.jpg   Went to the LA Autoshow...new Mustang-shaker.jpg  

Old 11/23/08, 08:00 PM

LA Auto show #4

Oh yea, went and saw the camaro. Liked it because it's not a scion or some other lame attempt at performance. I think the camaro will be a hit and hopefully give Ford some motivation for more HP. Overall I liked the styling. Like the interior too, as long as its the gauge pod or gauges in front of the shifter ( a nice throwback). The rest of the dash is just.......... The challenger looks great in pictures. Didn't do it for me up close. I don't feel too bad about getting beat by some SS Camaro or Challenger SRT. I don't think the standard Challenger R/T will cut it. If I lost it makes me feel the same as being beat by a vette. Can't really compare the cars, too much of a price difference. Now if I had a GT 500 then I'd be pissed.

One more thing about the mustang. On the vert the hips are just about gone, guess they had to make room for stowing the top. Oh yea, when it comes to auto shows, the more expensive the cars the better the show girls get. The Lambo girls were unbelievable. Maybe the american auto makers could use some of our bailout money to hire some top shelf talent.
Old 11/23/08, 08:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

You get what you pay for what you get. I wanted more options on my 07. I filled out the survey they a had couple of years ago. they add alot on to their option list for 2010. Those are things I am willing to pay for. If you don't want them don't get them and you will have a car in your price range.

As far as the turbo and 5.0 with 6 speed , expect to pay for those options.
Old 11/24/08, 09:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by FLAstangx3
The Red Vert on the turn table has the Nav Unit.

Also IN the area is "The Mustang Garage" Team. Parts from FORD!!! And YES, a BIG YES, a Billitt Grille, w/o fog lights!!!!
Yea but you couldn't get on the turntable and touch it..

Quick Reply: Went to the LA Autoshow...new Mustang