2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
View Poll Results: Which model do I go with?
2010 Mustang GT (Saves more and still has a V8)
38.46%
2011 Mustang GT (Still saves over GT500, but not as much as 2010 and has a 5.0)
37.18%
2011 Mustang V6 (Saves the most, still have a nice car, just no V8)
15.38%
Another suggestion listed in thread.
8.97%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Want to save money, but still have Mustang. Desperately need advice...

Search this Thread

Old 1/27/10, 12:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you looked up X-plan?
Go to a local CarMax and get a trade in appraisal. You should have already had your GT500 locally on craigslist if your really interested in selling it. Selling it third party at a reasonable price, and using the X-plan to purchase whatever vehicle you decide will save thousands. Also, I know you dead set on selling the GT-500, and you love mustangs... but why not check into a 03-04 SVT Cobra? You can find them very low miles, for a little over 20,000. It would have the power you are used to, and with a pulley swap and tune you'd be set for awhile. I know you love mustangs, but you could also look at a 01-04 z06 Corvette. Both of these options might not be new kids on the block, but they have been around awhile and have proven their worth. Not to mention, you would save thousands of dollars compared to picking up a 27-30k new mustang that will depreciate tremendously.
Old 1/27/10, 12:36 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Airsoft_fanatic
Have you looked up X-plan?
Go to a local CarMax and get a trade in appraisal. You should have already had your GT500 locally on craigslist if your really interested in selling it. Selling it third party at a reasonable price, and using the X-plan to purchase whatever vehicle you decide will save thousands. Also, I know you dead set on selling the GT-500, and you love mustangs... but why not check into a 03-04 SVT Cobra? You can find them very low miles, for a little over 20,000. It would have the power you are used to, and with a pulley swap and tune you'd be set for awhile. I know you love mustangs, but you could also look at a 01-04 z06 Corvette. Both of these options might not be new kids on the block, but they have been around awhile and have proven their worth. Not to mention, you would save thousands of dollars compared to picking up a 27-30k new mustang that will depreciate tremendously.
I have looked into most of everything that you have said actually. The X-Plan would cost around $1100 to buy in since I have no Ford stock and would take at least 6 months to mature. I am still looking into all of the options that I have as well as talking with family to decide what is best. I have considered an 03-04 Cobra for sure. Corvettes are nice, but I'm not sure I could see myself in one for a while, happily. No backseat, not very comfortable. I have actually also started to look at some 2008-2009 to save even more now. This thread has almost gotten to the point of not even considering a 2010 or 2011 anymore. I almost want to get a older stang just to satisfy my craving for now, save even more money, and purchase a 2014 down the road if everything holds up. I appreciate everyone's help and advice, though. Thank you to everyone!
Old 1/27/10, 03:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 08Shelby
I have looked into most of everything that you have said actually. The X-Plan would cost around $1100 to buy in since I have no Ford stock and would take at least 6 months to mature. I am still looking into all of the options that I have as well as talking with family to decide what is best. I have considered an 03-04 Cobra for sure. Corvettes are nice, but I'm not sure I could see myself in one for a while, happily. No backseat, not very comfortable. I have actually also started to look at some 2008-2009 to save even more now. This thread has almost gotten to the point of not even considering a 2010 or 2011 anymore. I almost want to get a older stang just to satisfy my craving for now, save even more money, and purchase a 2014 down the road if everything holds up. I appreciate everyone's help and advice, though. Thank you to everyone!
I knew you had a good head on your shoulders! Reality, practicality and common sense is starting to take over for desire. That's great. Being able to deduce the situation and weigh out all the factors shows your maturity! Like I said before, it will work out for you.
Of course you could go 180 degrees on me.
Old 1/27/10, 05:58 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
save even more money, and purchase a 2014 down the road if everything holds up.
That is EXACTLY the mindset I have with selling mine.*

*=this statement was not a sales pitch.
Old 1/28/10, 04:28 AM
Team Mustang Source

I would try to work it out. If you sell the GT500 and get a lesser car you will be kicking yourself sooner of later. Keep the Cobra.
Old 2/16/10, 08:41 AM
GT Member

And the decision was...

And the final verdict...

She said yes about a week after I bought the new 2010 GT. I am absolutely loving the new GT and not regretting a thing. They have changed every single issue that I had with the 2005-2009 body style and everything is absolutely improved. I could almost care less about the diaper now. They gave me more than what I owed on the GT500 plus a nice package of incentives and my payments are well below what I was hoping for. It was a total win, win situation for me.

Btw, we set the date for June 25th, 2011. I am thinking about using the new GT as the drive away car...

Thank you to everyone for your support and advice. This is a great place to get help when needed.

Thank you,
Luke
Old 2/16/10, 09:46 AM
GT Member

Congratulations. Sounds like the sun is shining in your life right about now.
Old 2/16/10, 10:03 AM
Cobra R Member

Congrats man
Old 2/16/10, 10:10 AM
Cobra Member

And the final verdict...

She said yes about a week after I bought the new 2010 GT. I am absolutely loving the new GT and not regretting a thing. They have changed every single issue that I had with the 2005-2009 body style and everything is absolutely improved. I could almost care less about the diaper now. They gave me more than what I owed on the GT500 plus a nice package of incentives and my payments are well below what I was hoping for. It was a total win, win situation for me.

Btw, we set the date for June 25th, 2011. I am thinking about using the new GT as the drive away car...

Thank you to everyone for your support and advice. This is a great place to get help when needed.

Thank you,
Luke
Congrats!! Glad to hear the great news on both fronts!!
Old 2/16/10, 11:10 AM
GT Member

Thank you all! The sun is indeed shining! Now if the weather will hold true, maybe I can get some nice pics to share with everyone, heh.
Old 2/16/10, 11:41 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow - my cornfusion was just rectified - I kept reading the thread and wondering why your avatar was a Dark Candy 2010 GT...now it all makes sense. I assume you bought a 2010 GT with premium interior and Dark Candy paint? Pics? What kind of deal did you get? Great choice and I am so glad it worked out for you. And you got the car you want BEFORE marriage. I did not...14 years in and still don't have the car I want (need). ALWAYS get the car you want before the girl has a chance to over rule it. "house is more imortant than a car, this neighborhood sucks, blah blah blah"...

Enjoy your Stang.
Old 2/16/10, 02:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Congrats man. I hope to get the 2010 I have my eye on in the next few months. If not, I'm ordering an '11.
Old 2/16/10, 03:31 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by VALCAD
Wow - my cornfusion was just rectified - I kept reading the thread and wondering why your avatar was a Dark Candy 2010 GT...now it all makes sense. I assume you bought a 2010 GT with premium interior and Dark Candy paint? Pics? What kind of deal did you get? Great choice and I am so glad it worked out for you. And you got the car you want BEFORE marriage. I did not...14 years in and still don't have the car I want (need). ALWAYS get the car you want before the girl has a chance to over rule it. "house is more imortant than a car, this neighborhood sucks, blah blah blah"...

Enjoy your Stang.
Lol, yeah. Got a Red Candy Metallic 2010 GT. I have been trying to get pics, but haven't had the chance yet. I got all of the incentive offered by ford and then some on top of getting my GT500 completely paid for and then some. Thankfully, yes, I got the car before marriage. Plus, the wife-to-be loves Mustangs and really loves this one the most, so it is an all around plus. Now, just need to convince her, once we get married, to get a 3 car garage so I can keep her car, my car, and a project car in the third bay, heh. Thanks for the congrats!

Last edited by 08Shelby; 2/16/10 at 03:36 PM.
Old 2/17/10, 07:44 AM
Team Mustang Source

I'm a little late to this thread, but congrats on the '10 and on her saying yes!

I bought my '10 GT for many of the same reasons you did (without the wife part ). I wanted a lower payment than an '11 GT would be and love that V8 rumble, so decided against an '11 V6. I mostly drive in heavy traffic as well, so the extra 97 HP of the 5.0 would go unnoticed much of the time anyway.

I'm glad you were able to get the payment where you wanted it. I was concerned that you might be too far upside down in your Shelby for that to happen, but you made it work !

Last edited by IWantMyNewGT; 2/17/10 at 08:20 AM.
Old 2/17/10, 08:22 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by IWantMyNewGT
I'm a little late to this thread, but congrats on the '10 and on her saying yes!

I bought my '10 GT for many of the same reasons you did (without the wife part ). I wanted a lower payment than the '11 GT would be and love that V8 rumble, so decided against an '11 V6. I mostly drive in heavy traffic as well, so the extra 97 HP of the 5.0 would go unnoticed much of the time anyway.

I'm glad you were able to get the payment where you wanted it. I was concerned that you might be too far upside down in your Shelby for that to happen, but you made it work !
Thank you. It has been a great ride the past few weeks. Not to say it hasn't been stressful, but it has been well worth it. I'm glad to see that this thread has actually connected with some fellow stang members. This forums are a great place to socialize with other peeps. Great things!
Old 4/25/10, 12:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Now that I am thinking about my future more, I would like to get my payments cut back, but still have a Mustang. I don’t NEED a ton of horsepower. The GT500 I have now has too much for me as it is. I am mostly doing commutes back and forth to work in stop and go traffic with the occasional drive around town. Even when having an open on-ramp to actually open it up, the gap closes before I get into 3rd gear, lol. This thing is a beast and I love it, but I don’t NEED it nor do I need the payment. I would love to be able to take it out of town on road trips, but it’s not the quietest car out there nor is it as comfortable for long trips.
What I would have said...

Whoa partner- let's put this all in perspective.

Imagine it is 1970. You have a 1968 GT500. You trade the car in for a 1970 Mustang Mach I. Now fast forward to 2010. You and your wife of nearly forty years are watching the Mecum auto auction on TV. How hard does she punch you when your former 1968 GT500 sells for $130,000?

Keep the Shelby. Many years from now, you won't remember the things that you spent the extra couple hundred per month on. What you will remember is that you once had one of the baddest Mustangs ever and you traded it.

Man....

I'm glad for you that she said yes. I'm sorry I didn't read every post before responding.

Last edited by coffeejolts; 4/25/10 at 12:39 AM.
Old 4/25/10, 12:38 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by coffeejolts
Keep the Shelby. Many years from now, you won't remember the things that you spent the extra couple hundred per month on. What you will remember is that you once had one of the baddest Mustangs ever and you traded it.
Don't read the whole thread.
Old 4/25/10, 01:17 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i'd say wait it out for a year or so and wait for the 5.0s to go down a little. as great as they are now, eventually they will just be "last years mustang GT"

maybe you'll be able to score some nice rebates or something. i wouldnt overlook a low miles used one either.
Old 4/25/10, 01:30 PM
GT Member

08Shelby got his 2010 GT back in Feb.