Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Vinyl Stripes Brands

Search this Thread

Old 5/8/15, 07:12 AM
GT Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vinyl Stripes Brands

I'm considering putting my some vinyl stripes on my car (painting is just way too expensive to consider at the moment) and so I've been doing some research. I respect the opinion of you all especially that of seasoned veterans with mustangs and was curious as to which vinyl graphics/decals/tinting some of you have used in the past. I know there are some mustang parts websites (AM, etc) that have vinyl stripe kits for reasonable prices but I also know of Big Worm Graphix. I've heard the Big Worm decals are good quality and they seem to be good about doing some custom work mixing colors of the main stripes with different color pin stripes and things like that. I'm looking for something that's going to look good for a long time (preferably 5-7+ years) before I see cracking/fading etc. That should be helped by the fact that I have a garage and keep it in there when I'm not driving.

Any personal opinions on graphics brands and whether certain ones are easier to apply yourself or not?

Thanks!
Old 5/8/15, 07:31 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
I'm no expert but I just put on a Big Worm hood stripe and the quality is excellent. I had a friend help. Zero bubbles or flaws.
Old 5/8/15, 07:36 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by VidPro
I'm no expert but I just put on a Big Worm hood stripe and the quality is excellent. I had a friend help. Zero bubbles or flaws.
I failed miserably trying to install Am Muscle 8" stripes, but I prepared for that possiblity.

Ended going to a pro, but he used 3M wrap material instead of stripe material...said the wrap was more flexible, durable, and easier to work with.
Old 5/8/15, 07:45 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
I failed miserably trying to install Am Muscle 8" stripes, but I prepared for that possiblity.

Ended going to a pro, but he used 3M wrap material instead of stripe material...said the wrap was more flexible, durable, and easier to work with.

I thought about doing the whole car but I felt like it was too much for me and would go pro too. The hood is easy to deal with so I felt like with some help it would be no problem and it was.

Although after my current dealings with the "pros' I'd probably just live without them if I couldn't do it myself.
Old 5/8/15, 08:13 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by VidPro
Although after my current dealings with the "pros' I'd probably just live without them if I couldn't do it myself.
My stripe guy let me watch him work. Maybe you can make similar arrangements.

Took him 2 hours with a helper, and that was with him taking calls and making appointments and me BS-ing with him the whole time.

I had a good experience. One of the hood stripes started curling very, very slightly on the edge....it was hardly noticable to anyone but me, but he replaced it with no hassle.
Old 5/8/15, 02:22 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mkj5013
I'm considering putting my some vinyl stripes on my car (painting is just way too expensive to consider at the moment) and so I've been doing some research. I respect the opinion of you all especially that of seasoned veterans with mustangs and was curious as to which vinyl graphics/decals/tinting some of you have used in the past. I know there are some mustang parts websites (AM, etc) that have vinyl stripe kits for reasonable prices but I also know of Big Worm Graphix. I've heard the Big Worm decals are good quality and they seem to be good about doing some custom work mixing colors of the main stripes with different color pin stripes and things like that. I'm looking for something that's going to look good for a long time (preferably 5-7+ years) before I see cracking/fading etc. That should be helped by the fact that I have a garage and keep it in there when I'm not driving.

Any personal opinions on graphics brands and whether certain ones are easier to apply yourself or not?

Thanks!
Hey mkj,

The key to installing vinyl is patience! Although I have never installed anything from Big Worm I have heard nothing but good things about them!

Personally, I love our pre-cut kits and run them on my own vehicles!

I installed a set of Super Snake stripes on my personal 2014 GT and could not be happier, check them out here:

Name:  experts%20shoot_zpsuz0qtrfj.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  244.7 KB

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions!

-Will
Old 5/8/15, 06:24 PM
Cobra Member

A couple more choices;
Bob White, licensed Ford vendor;
http://www.bobwhitedecals.com/main.html

Graphic Express. I have used their kits in the past & quality was very good;
http://www.graphic-express.com/ford-...1979-2016.html
Old 5/11/15, 06:13 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
Let a pro do the install. I used a guy who works for local car dealerships doing stripes, pin stripes etc. He did mine on his 'off' day. He came to my house and only charged $150 labor to install my 10 inch stripes that i ordered from American Muscle
Old 5/11/15, 11:32 AM
GT Member

It would definitely save me some money to do it myself but I had a friend try to put them on his 2000 mustang and I think they turned out horribly. He used the stripes from AM but I don't think it was the stripes, I think it was his skill. They were crooked, and he cut them poorly and had some bubbles. I'm afraid my patience would run out and I'd end up with the same issue. Lucky for him he has a '14 GT he had stripes painted on but that ran him $2100 and he had a fender bender so had to get his front bumper repainted again for another 800. I think I'd rather just stick with vinyl but I might have a shop do it for me.

Vid, I saw your hood decal on another post, looks good! I'm probably going matte black twin racing stripes, potentially with a red or silver pinstripe accent on the outside edges but not sure yet. I like them without the pinstripe too and I also like the super snake stripe as well...so many decisions and so hard to keep up with all of the good looking cars on here as well!
Old 5/11/15, 11:37 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by David Young
Let a pro do the install. I used a guy who works for local car dealerships doing stripes, pin stripes etc. He did mine on his 'off' day. He came to my house and only charged $150 labor to install my 10 inch stripes that i ordered from American Muscle
Let's see some pictures David!

I know she must look great.

-Will
Old 5/11/15, 12:41 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by mkj5013
Vid, I saw your hood decal on another post, looks good! I'm probably going matte black twin racing stripes, potentially with a red or silver pinstripe accent on the outside edges but not sure yet. I like them without the pinstripe too and I also like the super snake stripe as well...so many decisions and so hard to keep up with all of the good looking cars on here as well!
Thanks. It's even more fun to drive seeing the stripe on the hood from inside. The one thing I like about vinyl is that it's pretty cheap compared to paint so if I get tired of it or want a different stripe it's not a big deal. DIY is not so bad. It's really about measuring twice and making sure your lines are straight and true before that vinyl goes down. Then it's pretty standard stuff. Go slow and it should be fine.
Old 5/11/15, 01:27 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by AMWill
Let's see some pictures David!

I know she must look great.

-Will
[IMG][/IMG]

This is right after he finished them. They still look 'like new' two years later. He normaly uses his own vinyl, he told me the American Muscle vinyl was better quality than he would have thought.

EDIT. The spots on the first picture is rain on my camera lens
Attached Images   

Last edited by David Young; 5/11/15 at 01:28 PM.
Old 5/11/15, 04:30 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by David Young
[IMG][/IMG]

This is right after he finished them. They still look 'like new' two years later. He normaly uses his own vinyl, he told me the American Muscle vinyl was better quality than he would have thought.

EDIT. The spots on the first picture is rain on my camera lens
Looking awesome David! I love it!

I have had my stripes on for over a year with no issues, I have to agree with you there!

Keep up the good work.

-Will