Search this Thread

Old 2/5/14 | 03:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Videos - Winter tire info and comparison

- What you need to know

- All season/winter tire comparison

- Summer tire/winter tire comparison

- Tire Rack comparison

There are many more videos and tests performed in Europe and North America. One consistent result is the winter tire perform best in winter conditions.

I am amazed as I look around and notice how many cars are on the road with summer tires struggling in 2 inches of snow. Also why so much resistance to change over to a winter setup?

I have had a hard time to sell this set of wheels and tires here in the USA even with all of the snow: http://www.ebay.com/itm/331122944524...84.m1555.l2649 (Listed on the for sale section since November).

If I offered this while I was in Germany for double the price they would have sold like hotcakes.

What are your results with winter tires? I will add my experience and compare my 2013 Mustang GT with the Michelin X-Ice3 to my Focus ST with Pirelli winter tires.

Last edited by eurocobra; 2/5/14 at 07:36 AM.
Old 2/5/14 | 06:49 AM
Banned

Good info! I've always been a fan of Blizzak's myself (when i go on business trips to Germany in the winter)

Winter tires are great for this kind of weather, that's for sure. But why so much resistance you ask?

Well, for one, US does not have a law stating you have to use winter tires or get ticketed, like Germany does.
Two, most people think that All-Season tire will do "just fine" in the snow, so why bother with winter tires
And three, buying winter tires is not cheap!

My mustang is a fair weather only car, and it hasn't left the garage since late November. My "winter" car is a 4x4 SUV with all-terrain tires. It would do better with Winter tires, but as it is it can handle 9 inches of snow without a problem. So I'm in the third category.
Old 2/5/14 | 07:59 AM
Bullitt Member

This is all you REALLY need to know if you have a car that came with summer tires.

Blizzaks are on sale all summer long. I picked my LM60s up in June for less than $200 dollars a tire for 245/40/19s.
Old 2/5/14 | 08:52 AM
Bullitt Member

I could drive around that GTR and the Audi A8 with no problem. I could even stop on the hill and get going again. WINTER TIRES!!! Try them, buy them! Better than buying go fast parts if you live in the snow belt area.

Many people blame the RWD but it is the improper tires most people have on their car.

Last edited by eurocobra; 2/5/14 at 08:54 AM.