Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Video or Animation of TiVCT in action?

Search this Thread

Old 2/10/10, 03:14 PM
V6 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Video or Animation of TiVCT in action?

Does anyone know of a video or animation showing how the new TiVCT system works? I read about it in 5.0 magazine but I'd like to see it to more clearly understand how it uses valve spring pressure to move the cams.
Old 2/10/10, 04:03 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is that what Ford means by "cam torque actuated valves"?

You've always got some springs on return that push the cam lobe away simultaneous to lobes pushing valves down, so I'm curious what they mean by this... did they enhance this somehow?
Old 2/10/10, 05:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Stinger
Does anyone know of a video or animation showing how the new TiVCT system works? I read about it in 5.0 magazine but I'd like to see it to more clearly understand how it uses valve spring pressure to move the cams.

This vid is for a 1.6L Euro four banger but the concept is the same as used on US spec TiVCT V-6 and V-8 engines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba-oyIjGWGE
Old 2/10/10, 06:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seen that Vid before and does a very good job of explaining how the system works. The only real differance is that the 5.0 will have 4 cams instead of two.
Old 2/10/10, 06:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Awesome video. I love it.
Old 2/10/10, 06:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Wow. This sums up my opinion of the system:
Attached Thumbnails Video or Animation of TiVCT in action?-funny-pictures-cat-amazed.jpg  
Old 2/10/10, 07:13 PM
GT Member

But can you use stiffer springs is the real question at hand.
Old 2/10/10, 07:44 PM
Cobra Member

and no 4.6 of the past has had this technology correct?
Old 2/10/10, 07:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Red Jay
and no 4.6 of the past has had this technology correct?
I think the latest 4.6 at least has variable cam timing on it's single cam? But I have no idea how similar it is to Ti-VCT.
Old 2/10/10, 08:10 PM
Post *****

The 4.6 4V DOHC on pre S197 models did not have VCT.

The 4.6 3V SOHC has VCT but it is limited since 1 cam controls both intake and exhaust valves. When you change the cam timing for the intake valves, the exhaust is affected. So its a compromise.

But the advantage of the new Ti-VCT on the 4V DOHC 5.0 is the intake cams and the exhaust cams can be controlled independently. They can advance or retard the valve timing of either bank, and 'overlap' is advantageous at higher RPM's while at lower RPM's torque and emissions are better without overlap.

Last edited by cdynaco; 2/10/10 at 08:11 PM.
Old 2/10/10, 09:27 PM
V6 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks, that vid is what I was hoping to find.

This system is completely different than the 3v system, not only can it control two cams, it doesn't use pressurized oil (which frees up hp because the oil pump doesn't have to work to supply this oil) and it uses spring pressure not oil pressure to move the cams.

I'm not positive the system in the vid is exactly the same as the 5.0 version as there is no mention of cam torque actuated valves" or how the article said "You've always got some springs on return that push the cam lobe away simultaneous to lobes pushing valves down".
Old 2/10/10, 11:04 PM

Wow, that was an AWESOME video!
Old 2/10/10, 11:26 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Stinger
Thanks, that vid is what I was hoping to find.

This system is completely different than the 3v system, not only can it control two cams, it doesn't use pressurized oil (which frees up hp because the oil pump doesn't have to work to supply this oil) and it uses spring pressure not oil pressure to move the cams.

I'm not positive the system in the vid is exactly the same as the 5.0 version as there is no mention of cam torque actuated valves" or how the article said "You've always got some springs on return that push the cam lobe away simultaneous to lobes pushing valves down".
This is partly what I was drawing from:

Ti-VCT
A critical element in the 5.0-liter V-8’s ability to deliver 412 horsepower, with improved driveability, tractability and fuel economy over the 2010 Mustang GT powertrain, is enhanced Ti-VCT.

For a high-performance application, the team specified cam-torque-actuated variable camshaft timing. Using existing cam torque energy, with assistance from pressurized oil, meant that minimal upgrades to the oil pump were required, resulting in less parasitic drag. Increased volumetric and thermal efficiency gives faster Ti-VCT response at all engine speeds.

During the development phase, camshaft lift profile and port optimization started with higher-lift Ford Racing aftermarket units, modified for compatibility with various four-valve-per-cylinder heads. Extensive CAE and dynamometer testing was performed to fine-tune camshaft events and port flow for performance and fuel efficiency in conjunction with the variable camshaft timing.

The resulting all-new aluminum four-valve-per-cylinder heads feature a compact roller finger follower valvetrain layout leaving more room for high-flow ports for free-breathing performance. Head structure was designed to support higher cylinder head pressures and cross-flow cooling for sustained high-rpm use. Head bolt size was increased from 11 to 12 millimeters to contain the higher combustion pressures.

The aluminum block was developed for optimized windage and oil drainback under lateral conditions and high rpm, such as a track-day outing for an enthusiastic owner and driver. Increased main bearing bulkhead widths and nodular iron cross-bolted main bearing caps with upsized bolts were also employed to accommodate the significant performance increase.

An additional element is the increased capacity and baffling of the deep-sump stamped steel oil pan to enable sustained high-rpm use and offer the convenience of 10,000-mile oil change intervals. Piston-cooling jets also were incorporated for performance-minded customers and for faster oil warm-up on cold start. Specially designed tubular exhaust headers were developed to maximize exhaust pulse separation and improve flow. A team analyst actually fabricated the tubular headers in his home workshop, bringing the CAE design to life.

http://www.muscularmustangs.com/2009...mustang_gt.php
Old 2/11/10, 03:55 AM
Post *****

Yeah that is a great vid!
Old 2/11/10, 12:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Great video, thanks for posting !!

Doug
Old 2/11/10, 05:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts