Old 7/10/08, 10:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very Good Read!!!

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1215...googlenews_wsj
Old 7/11/08, 12:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I understand the point he is trying to make, he just does a really bad job of making it. How can you compare Mustang buyers to Viper/BMW/Lexus/GTR buyers? Those cars are all premium/luxury cars whose buyers already have to be wealthy just to consider buying one. Of course they don't care as much about gas prices, they're spending over 50,000 on a status symbol! To say that Mustang buyers don't care about gas prices is ridiculous. I drive a V8 Mustang and I care about gas prices. You know why? Because I'm not rich! That's one of the reasons why I drive a Mustang in the first place and not a Maserati or a Viper. The Mustang is an economical sporty car, not some luxury elitist car.

The Mustang cannot be lumped in with these other cars, and Mustang buyers cannot be lumped in with this general market. Not to mention that the large majority of Mustangs sold are not even V8's, and it has always been that way regardless of gas prices.

One thing I do totally agree with however is where he points out that if the domestics want to make a smaller car with smaller technologically advanced engines, call it something else, not a Mustang/Camaro/whatever. Call it a Capri, call it a Probe or a Cougar etc. Even build it on the same platform and share parts to make it cost effective, but just don't call it a Mustang. Don't try and make one car be everything to everyone, you'll just end up ruining what it does well and diluting it's character and image which is what pony/muscle cars are all about.
Old 7/11/08, 03:08 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Clino

One thing I do totally agree with however is where he points out that if the domestics want to make a smaller car with smaller technologically advanced engines, call it something else, not a Mustang/Camaro/whatever. Call it a Capri, call it a Probe or a Cougar etc. Even build it on the same platform and share parts to make it cost effective, but just don't call it a Mustang. Don't try and make one car be everything to everyone, you'll just end up ruining what it does well and diluting it's character and image which is what pony/muscle cars are all about.

i couldnt agree more. let the mustang be what it is. if they wanna dump an ecoboost 4 cyl in a focus, fusion, or maybe a new capri go ahead. but its just not gonna be right or sell well in a stang no matter how great it is
Old 7/11/08, 05:50 AM
Cobra Member

I don't want a wimpy looking or performing Mustang. "If" Ford is going to try and change the identity of the Mustang, then I am going to buy a Challenger or Camaro.
I am Pro-V8. Gas prices aren't a concern. If you buy a V8, you should know what your getting yourself into. If you want something sporty and better on gas, buy a V6 Mustang.

I think dropping a GDI Turbo 4 or 6 into the Mustang sounds exciting and does appeal to a lot of people. But, I wouldn't buy one. Give me a V8!
Old 7/11/08, 06:05 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Mustang has always had the entry level econo model, up to your firebreathing 'get the **** outta my way' mobile.

It's worked so far, and it'll continue to.
The borders though on both ends may stretch a bit (more fuel economy ((Left side) and more power (right side)) to broaden the appeal.
Old 7/11/08, 09:09 AM

I agree with the article, but I would like to see the Mustang be a bit smaller (not just look it) and lose some weight. It's a bit too big for my tastes as it currently is. Muscle cars don't have to be HUGE.
Old 7/11/08, 09:48 AM
Cobra Member

This is what I wonder: why do so many people want to make the Mustang into a low volume, high priced, high horsepower niche car that appeals to a only a small segment of the market? It has always been a volume seller. How many other cars have sold 9 MILLION units? The Mustang has never been a Viper or Corvette.

It has been successful because over the last four decades it has appealed not only to gearheads who want a fire breathing musclecar, but also to college girls, women, and people who just want something with sporty styling. It can be both an economical commuter and a performance car. It's had everything from Boss 429s to straight sixes and 2.3L fours.

The broad appeal of the Mustang has kept it alive all these years. The Camaro became too performance oriented and neglected the other side of the market by becoming more uncomfortable and impractical and what happened? It died in 2002.

Ford has tried to stay true to original spirit of the Mustang, but has also updated it to be more in sync with the times. If they continue doing this, they'll continue selling Mustangs. Right now high gas prices are a big concern like they were in the '70s. Ford was lucky to have to timed the Mustang II's introduction the way they did and it was a big hit with buyers at the time (although people conveniently forget that). It looks like it may be time a "Mustang III".

If they could just scale the S197 down by removing 4% from the height, width, & length, but leave the wheel base the same, it would be about same size as the original 65-66 Mustangs and would lose some weight and gain effciency, and stay true to it roots. Add a 4 cylinder base model, a V6 in the middle and high horsepower V8s on the top levels, and keep it RWD and affordable. I believe that would keep the Mustang relevant in these times and help keep it selling in the volumes that it has in the past.

Last edited by Vermillion06; 7/11/08 at 11:27 AM.
Old 7/11/08, 07:40 PM
Cobra Member

+1 Vermillion06!!

While I don't suggested Ford reinvent the Mustang II, the broad appeal of the Mustang is why it has stood the test of time and remained America's favorite Pony Car. The Mustang has always been a success largely because of three things (1) it has stayed true to it's original design intention, providing sporty, affordable transportation for the average consumer who is more concerned with the sporty image than the HP rating or 0 - 60 times (2) offering affordable performance models to satisfy the enthusiast segment (3) strong factory and aftermarket support to allow customers to personalize their 'Stangs to suit their individual tastes - allowing mild to wild combinations of style, HP and handling.

No one is happy to see gas prices soar past $4 per gallon, and the Mustang faithful must understand that in order for the Mustang to remain competitive, Ford will need to adapt it to the changing times. If we want Ford to continue to offer high performance V8 Mustangs, they will need to improve the efficiency of the base offering. A successful and appealing base model allows Ford the freedom to build the fire breathing monsters so near and dear to our collective hearts.

Certainly the current model could lose some of it's heft which would benefit those seeking better MPG's as well as those of us who crave straight line acceleration or lateral cornering g's. In the end, making the Mustang more efficient will benefit buyers of both the base and hi-po models.
Old 7/11/08, 08:13 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Vermillion06
The broad appeal of the Mustang has kept it alive all these years..........
+2 !
Old 7/11/08, 08:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

+3. The guy who penned this article is brain dead.
Old 7/11/08, 08:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Let's not forget the Mustang II and also, remeber that when the 1982 redesigned Camaro and Firebird were introduced the base engine was a cast iron 4 in-line. I drove one of those - a Firebird - that was a DEMO - it was a dog. Why would a dealer use a sports/sporty car with that small an engine as a demo? This was in San Diego - not the cornfields of central Illinois. It's a reaction to gas prices.
Old 7/12/08, 12:41 AM

It seems that nostalgia and conservatism run closely together in the mind of the s197 enthusiast, particularly the V-8 powered models. I would speculate that many who bought the GT (and those who plan to do so) found that Ford had finally rediscovered the golden ratio of classicism and power: a design strongly reminiscent of the Mustangs from the mid- to late- sixties (the "golden age") and a powerful, modern V-8 engine. Let us not forget simplicity and affordability. The Mustang must remain a car that the average American can embrace because it is somewhat affordable, can be driven on a daily basis if need be and does not inspire egalitarian envy. The Corvette has the pedigree and it is certainly has the performance but it is also expensive (although it offers a lot for the money) and not a car that one can drive without feeling slightly self-conscious. The most beloved and storied Mustangs have been V-8 powered and I think this configuration has embedded itself in the mind of the American consumer as the only fundamentally appropriate power plant for this car. Certainly Ford can produce a powerful and fuel efficient 4 cylinder using direct injection and turbo-charging that will probably meet every objective benchmark established for it, but for those who harbor romantic notions about the "Mustang" sound and feel and are willing to pay for it tradition may prove more important than innovation.
I don't envy Mr. Mulally as he contends with the fate of the Mustang; how do you keep an icon both authentic and relevant in a turbulent marketplace? We would all concede that the traditionalists will not sustain the Mustang if gasoline prices maintain their present course but in what does the essence of the Mustang really consist? is it mainly stylistic or functional?
I don't currently own a Mustang but I plan to purchase one in a year or two if my finances allow. I love the idea of sharp handling and V-8 power but I think I would consider alternatives if the engineering is spot on and the performance is competitive. Ford is going through a somewhat rough patch at the moment but if they maintain their commitment to quality and innovation I would give serious consideration to an "alternative" Mustang. I think we all should.
Old 7/12/08, 11:15 AM
Bullitt Member

not to be disrespectfull or bust anyone chops or anything, however, if I read the article correctly, and if it doesnt have any mistakes, then I have to say that I believe it was written by 'she' not a 'he', a 'girl' not a 'guy'.

Just saying ...
Old 7/12/08, 12:23 PM

You're right, the author is a woman and I agree with her.
Old 7/12/08, 04:47 PM
Cobra Member

lose weight,, there..fuel problem solved lol
Old 7/12/08, 07:04 PM

Reducing weight is certainly one option but it usually involves a compromise of some sort. The s197 is heavier than its predecessor because it incorporates more safety systems and is far more rigid than the Fox platform. Of course mass can be pared while retaining safety but the final product will probably be significantly more expensive than the current iteration. How much would YOU be willing to spend for a new Mustang?

Last edited by coldfsn66; 7/12/08 at 08:58 PM.
Old 7/13/08, 03:44 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,965 Likes on 1,590 Posts
Originally Posted by Chibana
I agree with the article, but I would like to see the Mustang be a bit smaller (not just look it) and lose some weight. It's a bit too big for my tastes as it currently is. Muscle cars don't have to be HUGE.

If you think the Mustang is so huge, take a good look at both the Challenger and upcoming Camaro. Once you see and compare the difference, you'll realize the Mustang won't appear quite as large to you any more.
Old 7/13/08, 07:08 PM

I'm quite aware of how large they both are. But the Mustang is still bigger (and heavier) than I would like.
Old 7/14/08, 10:35 AM
Big Falken Tires

"All this is reminiscent of the dark days of the early 1980s, a tragic era for aficionados of the Detroit muscle car. That's when Ford created its four-cylinder Mustang SVO and tried to make up in technology-boosted horsepower what it lacked in brute displacement and growl under the hood. Though the car admittedly attracts some nostalgia freaks now, it nearly squandered the Mustang's identity as the ultimate American chick-magnet."

Wow - so that's what Ford was trying to do when it created the SVO.....

What an amazingly great 'tragic' car they created....
Old 7/16/08, 09:44 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,965 Likes on 1,590 Posts
Originally Posted by Chibana
I'm quite aware of how large they both are. But the Mustang is still bigger (and heavier) than I would like.

FYI, the current Mustang is about the same size as the 69-70 Boss 302/Mach 1. Perhaps it's just a bit wider than the 69/70, but they're about the same size in overall length. Unless you also consider the 69/70 models bigger, and heavier than what you would like as well !

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 7/16/08 at 09:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Very Good Read!!!