Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Updated BOSS Engines Info/Speculation

Search this Thread

Old 10/31/06, 08:48 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Nice find fastball

basically the article states that a crate engine will be introduced first.
And productions to follow

Crate will be pushrod
Productions will be OHC

340-500hp

Hopefully they are nice and light
Old 10/31/06, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like these "Boss" motor reports today are actually talking about two motors.

The first, the crate motor series that's pictured, seems to be just some varients of the small block OHV motor that they're releasing immediately. It uses the "Boss" name, in lieu of the Hurrincane moniker which picked up too many bad vibes after Katrina, to drum up some buzz about the upcoming production motor.

The real production "Boss" engine, on the other hand, sounds like it will be an all new, OHC design to be released in a year or two. Stories do mention that it will have VVT (one would certainly hope) but not much else about tech details. Apparantly a typical Ford "on again, off again, on again" gestation tale (and people wonder why Ford's in such dire straights with management vision like this).

Hopefully, a lot of the same thinking that has gone into the new 3.5 V6 will be reflected in the Boss V8 as the V6 seems to be an excellently done motor in conception, engineering and execution.

I'd love to see Ford be truly "Bold" and go straight to twin cams, 4V and direct injection, at least with the Stang (Boss?) varients. Such a configuration, in a presumably 5.0 guise, would be easily capable of 425-450 hp (look at Audi's 4.2 RS motor of similar configuation). Slap that to a tight six speed, backed up by a Control Blade IRS to put all that power down on all roads and conditions and you have the perfect core of a neo Boss 302.

Put similar engineering in a big cube version, pushing 500hp, backed by a live axle Drag Pack option and voila, a perfect neo Mach I too!

Save a SOHC 3V 5.0 version with port injection and VVT with 350hp and there's a perfect base GT motor.

And the new 3.5 V6 with 275 for the secretaries, what a perfect lineup of about 75hp jumps in power between variants.

Ah, to dream...Boldly...
Old 10/31/06, 09:07 AM
I Have No Life

Well if what Saleen said is true..that the base GT will get 350hp,
and that this makes his current mods obsolete (will have to offer different parts) this could be a good indication.

Also..not in the pic 3 things about the crate motor
1) its in a mustang ..duh...
2) its whippled...double duh...
but putting those together...look at the space it takes up.
Is it just me ... or is it smaller than the mod motors of now (4.6/5.4)

That is a GOOD thing
No make that great.
Old 10/31/06, 09:54 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
"It's a new old engine."

does this mean it has pushrods?
Old 10/31/06, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Knight
"It's a new old engine."

does this mean it has pushrods?
Pushrods, carbs and all the rest of the vintage Windsor block tech, albeit with AL heads. The pictured motors are the Windsor-based crate motors, NOT the upcoming Hurricane-now-Boss production motor.

My guess is that the production Boss motor will reflect the technology/design of the new 3.5 V6, which likely reveals Ford engineering's current engine design ideas.
Old 10/31/06, 10:43 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by rhumb
Sounds like these "Boss" motor reports today are actually talking about two motors.

The first, the crate motor series that's pictured, seems to be just some varients of the small block OHV motor that they're releasing immediately. It uses the "Boss" name, in lieu of the Hurrincane moniker which picked up too many bad vibes after Katrina, to drum up some buzz about the upcoming production motor.

The real production "Boss" engine, on the other hand, sounds like it will be an all new, OHC design to be released in a year or two. Stories do mention that it will have VVT (one would certainly hope) but not much else about tech details. Apparantly a typical Ford "on again, off again, on again" gestation tale (and people wonder why Ford's in such dire straights with management vision like this).

Hopefully, a lot of the same thinking that has gone into the new 3.5 V6 will be reflected in the Boss V8 as the V6 seems to be an excellently done motor in conception, engineering and execution.

I'd love to see Ford be truly "Bold" and go straight to twin cams, 4V and direct injection, at least with the Stang (Boss?) varients. Such a configuration, in a presumably 5.0 guise, would be easily capable of 425-450 hp (look at Audi's 4.2 RS motor of similar configuation). Slap that to a tight six speed, backed up by a Control Blade IRS to put all that power down on all roads and conditions and you have the perfect core of a neo Boss 302.

Put similar engineering in a big cube version, pushing 500hp, backed by a live axle Drag Pack option and voila, a perfect neo Mach I too!

Save a SOHC 3V 5.0 version with port injection and VVT with 350hp and there's a perfect base GT motor.

And the new 3.5 V6 with 275 for the secretaries, what a perfect lineup of about 75hp jumps in power between variants.

Ah, to dream...Boldly...
Now that would be BOLD indeed!!
Old 10/31/06, 10:51 AM
I Have No Life

If it reflects the fit/finish/power of the Duratec35... the BOSS motors will rock!

Time to grab a shovel and start digging
Old 10/31/06, 10:56 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Pushrods, carbs and all the rest of the vintage Windsor block tech, albeit with AL heads. The pictured motors are the Windsor-based crate motors, NOT the upcoming Hurricane-now-Boss production motor.

My guess is that the production Boss motor will reflect the technology/design of the new 3.5 V6, which likely reveals Ford engineering's current engine design ideas.
thanks when i was reading it i didn't realize there was also the sperate crate engines they were talking about.

i was a bit worried.
Old 10/31/06, 08:52 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I wonder what made them choose to offer "New old" motor and call it the Boss 302... Just for attention? Because as Chris demonstrated... this can get confusing with one name and two motors
Old 11/1/06, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by future9er24
I wonder what made them choose to offer "New old" motor and call it the Boss 302... Just for attention? Because as Chris demonstrated... this can get confusing with one name and two motors
Yeah, basically for attention, positive attention that is, which is what Ford desperately needs these days. And yes, it is confusing, applying that name to the old (Windsor) design crate motors and also to the upcoming new design, OHC production motor.

The good news is, I think, in that pushing the Boss name so much, it really will almost demand a Boss Mustang, the motor's original namesake. When this might happen, given Ford's glacial product development cycle, is anyones guess (2010? 2012?) , though maybe Mullaly will put some fire under the developers feet.

Wish there was some more detailed info on the upcoming production motor, beyond just being OHC with VVT...
Old 11/1/06, 09:06 AM
Post *****

Another question... Are we sure its not a hyped up mod motor? Or is is ACTUALLY a new motor design?

Ideas of a Dtech 35 based V8 have been flung around and I'm curious as to whether or not thats even apllicable (again, is it a mod motor, or something new)

and for the record, as much as I love the Mod, a NEW V8 would definately be cool... as would 302cid...
Old 11/1/06, 09:08 AM
I Have No Life

It's a 2v Alluminum
Old 11/1/06, 09:20 AM
Post *****

Wait what?! 2v mod motor?

Nothing against a 2v Mod in Aluminum, but I was expecting a tad more. But hey, when it gets here, it still might impress me. I'll leave my final verdict til then.
Old 11/1/06, 09:20 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by future9er24
Mopar essentially did the same thing a few years ago when they brought back the crate "Hemi" motors based on the classic 66-71 design. They followed this up a few years later with the new 5.7 and 6.1 Hemi motors.

Ford is trying to build some brand recognition in the BOSS name so that the enthusiasts and general public know there is a new engine family coming.
Old 11/1/06, 10:26 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I'll have to by a cluncker then ! my big bro took a 54 Ford and stuck a 392 Hemi in it when I was a kid and I recall how it just screamed but I want to do it with a Ford within a Ford and one of these enginges will be perfect !
Old 11/1/06, 11:39 AM
I Have No Life

Well since there isn't much on the motor itself out yet... lets not start slamming it.

Just like when the Duratec35 was still called the Cyclone... we really didn't (other than size) know what to expect... now that it's out we know what the design was in mind.

This is fords chance to build a new V8 set of motors.
Remember how old the 4.6/5.4 Modulars are now... over 10 years since the original concept. time for some new bold moves
Old 11/1/06, 12:06 PM

Remember how old the 4.6/5.4 Modulars are now... over 10 years since the original concept. time for some new bold moves
A bit older than that, if I recall. It started out in the early '90's FWD Lincoln Continental(?), which explains some elements of its design such as the long stroke (for low rpm torque) and tight cylinder spacing (to fit in a FWD application). It evolved from its distinctly low-po intentions to some rather hi-po varients, though that is probably more an achievement of subsequent engineering over its basic architecture.

Hopefully, the new Boss motors will be designed much more with hi-po in mind and in the basic architecture from the get go, much as the Duratec35 seems to have been.
Old 11/1/06, 12:34 PM
Needs to be more Astony

and just to think the V6 is rated 265hp. so i'm sure the new Boss engine will be rated quite well.
Old 11/1/06, 01:45 PM
I Have No Life

on 87 octane no less

rhumb: yeah, I had a feeling they were early 90s..(in design) but wasn't sure exactly (hence why I put 10+ )

We know they are going in..just a matter of size ( s ) and HP

Kinda like back in 03 trying trying to figure out what the 05 would have
Old 11/1/06, 02:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
A bit older than that, if I recall. It started out in the early '90's FWD Lincoln Continental(?), which explains some elements of its design such as the long stroke (for low rpm torque) and tight cylinder spacing (to fit in a FWD application). It evolved from its distinctly low-po intentions to some rather hi-po varients, though that is probably more an achievement of subsequent engineering over its basic architecture.

Hopefully, the new Boss motors will be designed much more with hi-po in mind and in the basic architecture from the get go, much as the Duratec35 seems to have been.
The 4.6L 2V made its debut in the 1991 Lincoln Town Car which was RWD, not FWD. However, future FWD applications were planned for the engine, thus the tight bore spacing.

Quick Reply: Updated BOSS Engines Info/Speculation