Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Unsure where to post this. Advice on buying a car?

Search this Thread

Old 10/9/13, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unsure where to post this. Advice on buying a car?

I am a guy who really wants the 13-14 styled mustang in grabber blue. However, I wanted advice from the guys who work/buy/sell them. Would it be best to buy it off the lot or wait til they are used and buy one?. Reason I ask is I priced out a v6 at 31k... Then I think there's 2-3k in discounts currently but still 28k for a v6. Granted I want

-v6 premium or v8
-grabber blue with no stripes
-comfort and tech package
-and the style 995 package with fogs etc..

I already own a 2013 scion tc (I know it's sad lol) but it's my daily driver and I'm really wanting a mustang as a weekend driver. I saw how much my car dropped in value off the lot and I'm afraid to do the same mistake twice. How soon do these cars drop in value? Should I try to buy them used for one, or more years and such to get the best price for a nice car.

I've heard 3 year lease but I know those people beat the car to hell since they treat it like a rental.
Any advice is great. I live in alaska currently and I'm moving to ohio, I'm sad because Ohio uses salt, and alaska is half year ice. I would trade scion but it's been to good a car and perfect for daily driver , and it's paid off. So no car payments is nice.

Sorry I'm on phone and I'm rambling, so il let you guys use your advice. I am eligible for x plan pricing through vfw I believe but havnt checked into it to deep as from my experience buying new, I may be better off letting someone else take the hot on a new car instead of me and snag it off someone.
Old 10/9/13, 10:26 PM
GT Member

I would grab any grabber blue that's available. They no longer offer that color and new/used pickings are slim.
Old 10/9/13, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by XEDES
I would grab any grabber blue that's available. They no longer offer that color and new/used pickings are slim.

Probably looking to buy one earlier this upcoming year.. Hoping to grab a fully loaded one for like 28k. I just looked in the swap meet section, beautiful cars. I hope finances make it possible sooner than later, but got to plan things and can't buy on impulse.
Old 10/10/13, 04:30 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Moving thread to 2010-2014 section, but will leave a link for today . . .
Old 10/10/13, 05:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
They do drop in value pretty quickly. I picked up my base 13 from the dealer last Nov for 17k and it had 10k on the odo. I see tons of 13s under $20k for convertibles and around 18k for base models.
Old 10/10/13, 06:28 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
go grab a GT(track pack) or V6 (performance pack) as ur budget allows...i got 6k off MSRP on my '13... there are many in this forum who have received better deals than me... after 2 months i took it to carmax for getting a trade in quote.. it depreciated 1200$ and they ddnt like the fact that there were some mods... so might be if u ddnt mod it probably get a better deal.
dont fall in for any cosmetic stuffs that dealers add on.. you can get better aftermarkets for all that..
Old 10/10/13, 10:50 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check cars.com and be ready to travel to get the best deal.
Old 10/13/13, 03:55 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by CiniZter
go grab a GT(track pack) or V6 (performance pack) as ur budget allows...i got 6k off MSRP on my '13... there are many in this forum who have received better deals than me... after 2 months i took it to carmax for getting a trade in quote.. it depreciated 1200$ and they ddnt like the fact that there were some mods... so might be if u ddnt mod it probably get a better deal. dont fall in for any cosmetic stuffs that dealers add on.. you can get better aftermarkets for all that..
For how much did you got it otd including taxes and fees? If you don't mind me asking, I'm planing on buying a gt with at least some options.
Old 10/13/13, 06:28 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Cars will depreciate from new no matter what... Just have to accept it. Used does too, but a lot slower since the hits already taken. I buy the car/s for the love of it. If you can afford it, whatever "it" may be, go for it. Personally, I'd go for the new V8.
Old 10/13/13, 06:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by XEDES
Hadn't heard this before... still shows up as buildable on the website. ??
Old 10/13/13, 10:21 AM
Bullitt Member

They ran out of paint for the grabber blue last I heard they were done. One of last cars painted in grabber blue only had half the car painted so they had to do a different color. At least that was the talk around the dealership about them that day

Originally Posted by wannabe
Old 10/13/13, 10:47 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by wannabe

Grabber Blue was truly balanced out already (at the end of September) so Ford is really done with Grabber Blue.
Old 10/13/13, 01:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bummer no more Grabber Blue. I won't be buying another new Mustang. I had been thinking about getting a '14 to upgrade my '10 GT since I have a feeling I won't like the '15 Probe II. I'll have to look at the Challenger or installing a supercharger on my '10.
Old 10/13/13, 02:05 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FreedomPenguin
I am a guy who really wants the 13-14 styled mustang in grabber blue. However, I wanted advice from the guys who work/buy/sell them. Would it be best to buy it off the lot or wait til they are used and buy one?. Reason I ask is I priced out a v6 at 31k... Then I think there's 2-3k in discounts currently but still 28k for a v6. Granted I want

-v6 premium or v8
-grabber blue with no stripes
-comfort and tech package
-and the style 995 package with fogs etc..

I already own a 2013 scion tc (I know it's sad lol) but it's my daily driver and I'm really wanting a mustang as a weekend driver. I saw how much my car dropped in value off the lot and I'm afraid to do the same mistake twice. How soon do these cars drop in value? Should I try to buy them used for one, or more years and such to get the best price for a nice car.

I've heard 3 year lease but I know those people beat the car to hell since they treat it like a rental.
Any advice is great. I live in alaska currently and I'm moving to ohio, I'm sad because Ohio uses salt, and alaska is half year ice. I would trade scion but it's been to good a car and perfect for daily driver , and it's paid off. So no car payments is nice.

Sorry I'm on phone and I'm rambling, so il let you guys use your advice. I am eligible for x plan pricing through vfw I believe but havnt checked into it to deep as from my experience buying new, I may be better off letting someone else take the hot on a new car instead of me and snag it off someone.
OP, I'm going to give you my opinion and actually reversing such opinion from many moon posts ago. Having time to really reflect and examine this so here it is.

I would not pay 28k for the V6 mustang. If your going to buy a V6 mustang buy a base model for under 22k. For 28k one can buy a base 5.0. At the end of the day you have a V6 mustang whether you have the base or premium model.

I would buy the v8 over a 28k V6 model and this advise is coming from someone who has a bare bones base V6 model.
Old 10/14/13, 08:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
OP, I'm going to give you my opinion and actually reversing such opinion from many moon posts ago. Having time to really reflect and examine this so here it is.

I would not pay 28k for the V6 mustang. If your going to buy a V6 mustang buy a base model for under 22k. For 28k one can buy a base 5.0. At the end of the day you have a V6 mustang whether you have the base or premium model.

I would buy the v8 over a 28k V6 model and this advise is coming from someone who has a bare bones base V6 model.
As someone who paid 24k for a brand new base GT, DO NOT pay 28k for a new V6!
Depending on what you're into, the V8 means a lot in a Mustang compared to leather.
That said, everyone has different wants and priorities.
I'd honestly sad consider used and new equally. I had bought my GT new because used ones were holding their value so well that I paid 2k less than for a new one.
It held it's value very well too. Look used and new but if you're looking in the 28k price range, look 5.0.

My $.02

Good Luck though!