Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

tune only?

Search this Thread

Old 4/25/15, 11:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by crazietj
I got a tune from Matt here on the board. I got the sct X2 and life time tunes from him. I did a great job with mine. If you need a tune contact zeroaviation.
Thanks for the support!

OP Let us know if there is anything we can do for you!

-Matt
Old 4/25/15, 11:55 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
There are reasons bama tunes have the reputation they do; it's not just people with other tunes talking crap. Personally, I'd go with Lund.
Old 4/25/15, 01:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
I gotta say it... If you aren't planning any mods I'm super happy with the Ford Racing TracKey. If you can't use the TracKey you could also consider the Track Cal or ProCal which I believe are identical calibrations, just different additional features.

My baseline dyno was 370 max hp. My TracKey dyno was 394 max hp. The only mod at the time was adding the Boss side pipes which did not add any hp based on comparing the baseline dyno to the stock key.

The biggest difference can be felt in low end torque though.

The biggest weakness in FRPP tunes is you have to stay stock or at least you can't add any mods that would require a retune.

Finally, if you discuss it with your dealer first, you might find they are more warranty friendly to the FRPP tunes.
Old 4/27/15, 09:09 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kcoTiger
There are reasons bama tunes have the reputation they do; it's not just people with other tunes talking crap. Personally, I'd go with Lund.
The V2 has nothing but a good reputation and Lund will be no better on a stock car (IMO) than the new V2 from Bama.
Old 4/27/15, 09:19 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Agree 100%. Lund or other great tuners.

Originally Posted by scott9050
The V2 has nothing but a good reputation and Lund will be no better on a stock car (IMO) than the new V2 from Bama.
V2 is still Bama. He was referring to "reputation". Some folks may now be having great luck with them, which is good. But you have to understand why some folks are still leary. Might be a while before they dig themselves out of that rep.
Old 4/27/15, 10:28 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
can we do a vote button on this thread.
Old 4/27/15, 11:04 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Great for the V2. I'm still not letting it or anything else bama-related touch my 500.

Lund is a considerably more respected name in terms of tuning coyotes of all kinds.
Old 4/27/15, 12:21 PM
I Have No Life

Great for the V2. I'm still not letting it or anything else bama-related touch my 500.

Lund is a considerably more respected name in terms of tuning coyotes of all kinds.
I was trying to be kind, but yes, this is essentially what I was implying too. LOL. I may have said it before in other posts, but nothing Bama-ish or or AM-ish will ever touch my car.
Old 4/28/15, 07:54 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by SickShade14
Hey guys,

Thinking about getting a tuner along with bama's tunes from AM. My question is, will i see decent hp gains without any bolt-ons and just a tune only. I'd be happy if a tune-only would grant me 20whp.
If thats going to be your only 'mod', thats the best bang for the buck you can do in my opinion. I run an Evolution Performance (Jon Lund) tune on my v6
Old 4/28/15, 08:42 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5

V2 is still Bama.
Must be why I posted that very thing in the sentence you quoted.

He was referring to "reputation". Some folks may now be having great luck with them, which is good. But you have to understand why some folks are still leary. Might be a while before they dig themselves out of that rep.
Different tuner who is well respected and great results with the V2. I understand that some people had problems (and some people made those problems up, I busted one on another forum) but I have experienced and heard nothing but good reviews from the new tunes.
For a stock car it would be silly (IMO) to spend 2-4 times as much for a tune that is not going to make you any faster and not be any safer.
Old 4/28/15, 08:44 AM
GT Member

I might not let them touch many heavily modded cars, but your car versus his stock car......apples/oranges. The new tunes from them are light years better than what they had before, driveability is very good and people data logging them are finding them to be safe.

Last edited by scott9050; 4/28/15 at 08:54 AM.
Old 4/28/15, 09:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a huge thread over on SVT about the Bama V2 tunes, a lot of people have good things to say about the V2 tunes and I don't think you can compare Bama's old tuner/tunes to their new tuner and tunes. The "haters" here are referring to the old tunes and from what I have read the old tunes were crap.
Old 4/28/15, 02:04 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by motoman620
There is a huge thread over on SVT about the Bama V2 tunes, a lot of people have good things to say about the V2 tunes and I don't think you can compare Bama's old tuner/tunes to their new tuner and tunes. The "haters" here are referring to the old tunes and from what I have read the old tunes were crap.
Interesting stuff!

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...9-Bama-v2-tune
Old 5/5/15, 02:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I just had an interesting conversation with Bama. I've been noticing that their obsession with cooling has the fans starting up with the car (at only 60 degrees in the morning) and running constantly as long as the ignition is on - completely unnecessary for a daily driver. So I called to find out about getting a new tune with stock fan handling.

Imagine my surprise when I was told that not only could I not order a tune over the phone as was the case a couple of years ago but that they don't even keep records of my configuration. You know that little plate with your member number on it? Throw it away - it means nothing. You have to get out your flashlight and contort yourself to see the computer code to give to them again.

Granted, not a major gripe. But one would think that in this day and age they would keep better records of "members". I even get that they don't really want to talk to us on the phone but why can't I just go to their website, enter my lifetime tunes member number, select a few check boxes and fill in comments then receive my tune a few days later? Too technical?
Old 5/5/15, 02:39 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Thomas S
I don't see how you can comment on a tuner that you've never dealt with. I like you and respect you but I just don't get your hatred of anything AM. You act like they insulted your family or something. They have always treated me right.
Thomas, I didn't even see this quote from you from over a week ago. I apologize. Let me address.

I HAVE dealt with AM, more than once. Both opportunities (let me rephrase that, "opportunities" denotes positive experiences. It was not that. Let's call it "occurrences" instead.) were not pleasant. I don't want to go into details (again) here on this thread. I've spoken about it before. But let's just say, it's a case of a big company not giving a $**t about lowly customers like me. First time it was with the "rep" that was on here on this forum. Second time it was with AM themselves, over the phone, when I dealt with purchasing an item/s from them.

Needless to say, bottomline, it was a CRAPPY experience in and out. Terrible. One of the worst I've ever dealt with. Period.

Have I dealt with their tuners per se? Not at all. Would I, after my experiences with them, plus all the negativity about their tunes in the first place? Hell no. I'd like to think I'm blessed with some form of common sense.

Again, that's not to discount you and your positive experiences with AM. Great for you and I'm happy for you. But just think... you need to be open to the fact that if YOU had a positive experience, that applies to YOU and YOU alone. There are people like ME out there, that were not treated like that. What's the ratio? 1:1? who knows. and who cares. I care about what I had to deal with. Never again.

Make sense?

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
I just had an interesting conversation with Bama. I've been noticing that their obsession with cooling has the fans starting up with the car (at only 60 degrees in the morning) and running constantly as long as the ignition is on - completely unnecessary for a daily driver. So I called to find out about getting a new tune with stock fan handling.

Imagine my surprise when I was told that not only could I not order a tune over the phone as was the case a couple of years ago but that they don't even keep records of my configuration. You know that little plate with your member number on it? Throw it away - it means nothing. You have to get out your flashlight and contort yourself to see the computer code to give to them again.

Granted, not a major gripe. But one would think that in this day and age they would keep better records of "members". I even get that they don't really want to talk to us on the phone but why can't I just go to their website, enter my lifetime tunes member number, select a few check boxes and fill in comments then receive my tune a few days later? Too technical?
Again, I'll say, I'm not surprised. JDM Engineering (from personal experiences) and Lund and Steeda won't treat you like that. Live and learn. Move on.

Last edited by FromZto5; 5/5/15 at 02:41 PM.
Old 5/7/15, 11:21 AM
Bullitt Member

I can only speak from my personal experience and when it comes to Bama's V2 vs Lund, Lund takes it every single time. A buddy of mine who has the same mods as me (m6, tune, and xpipe) raced and I got him everytime. FYI he is a better driver than me too.
Old 5/12/15, 07:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Okay, I used to think AM/Bama was a good customer service oriented company. Now I am having serious doubts.

Per my earlier post, I got a chance to get under the hood last night with a flashlight to get my ECM code (information that they should have on file since I had to give it to them when I bought the tuner and lifetime tunes). Then I went through their convoluted process to place an order online just to get an order number - it's free but at that point they have no idea if I'm even entitled to free tunes because it never asks for a member number or anything. Next I get an order confirmation email with yet another web address for me to place the order. Okay, it's a lot of extra steps but at least I'm getting somewhere this time. I fill in the various questions about my car such as engine type, optional equipment, modifications, tire sizes, etc. and then I get to a field where I have to enter the serial number of the tuner. REALLY??? I bought it from them when I got the tunes in the first place! Even if they didn't have it from the original shipment of the tuner, they had to have it for the first three tunes. They can't keep any records at all?? They certainly made sure they kept enough records to be able to continuously send me advertising emails and mail catalogs. The tuner is at home of course so I guess I will have to start the order over again later.

I upgraded my gears a couple of years ago and getting a replacement tune at that time was a simple matter of picking up the phone and telling them what I needed. That was customer service. This current system is BS!

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 5/12/15 at 07:49 AM.
Old 5/12/15, 10:48 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Okay, I used to think AM/Bama was a good customer service oriented company. Now I am having serious doubts.

Per my earlier post, I got a chance to get under the hood last night with a flashlight to get my ECM code (information that they should have on file since I had to give it to them when I bought the tuner and lifetime tunes). Then I went through their convoluted process to place an order online just to get an order number - it's free but at that point they have no idea if I'm even entitled to free tunes because it never asks for a member number or anything. Next I get an order confirmation email with yet another web address for me to place the order. Okay, it's a lot of extra steps but at least I'm getting somewhere this time. I fill in the various questions about my car such as engine type, optional equipment, modifications, tire sizes, etc. and then I get to a field where I have to enter the serial number of the tuner. REALLY??? I bought it from them when I got the tunes in the first place! Even if they didn't have it from the original shipment of the tuner, they had to have it for the first three tunes. They can't keep any records at all?? They certainly made sure they kept enough records to be able to continuously send me advertising emails and mail catalogs. The tuner is at home of course so I guess I will have to start the order over again later.

I upgraded my gears a couple of years ago and getting a replacement tune at that time was a simple matter of picking up the phone and telling them what I needed. That was customer service. This current system is BS!
Would you rather know that the info entered is correct or trust that the person on the other end of the line entered it properly the first time?
The re-order process took 5 minutes, it is not a big deal and it ensures that the tuners are working on my order and not looking up customer info.
Old 5/12/15, 10:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Would you rather know that the info entered is correct or trust that the person on the other end of the line entered it properly the first time?
The re-order process took 5 minutes, it is not a big deal and it ensures that the tuners are working on my order and not looking up customer info.
Strangely enough, both the original order and the change order for my gears produced working tunes so they must have had the correct information to work with the first time. Therefore, that information (if it had been saved for future orders) would be less likely to have errors/typos than me re-entering it in a web form for each new order.

They issued a "member number" with the original order. Wouldn't it make sense for them to just enter that member number to access the basic (unchanging) information like year, model, ECM code, etc. and then proceed with the requested changes from there?

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 5/12/15 at 11:00 AM.