Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Ttv8 ?

Search this Thread

Old 7/13/07, 07:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 97svtgoin05gt
I know in the past Ford was reluctant to use a single turbo because of warranty claim issues. Lets face it, some people just don't change their oil and take care of things. Turbo engines require a specific oil type as I recall so you have to rely on the customer doing proper maintenance AND using the correct oil. Jiffy Lube people aren't going to be doing that correctly, it just won't happen. With twins on the thing, I imagine that will open them up to possibly some substantial warranty claim issues.

I've had three TC'd cars, and have never heard of Special Oil. Two of them took good old 10W30 and one spec'd 5W30. Jiffy Lube, etc is perfectly capable of changing the oil in a TC'd car. No special procedure, just drain and refill. The problem is not the oil change or even the oil. the problem is coking or failure to change the oil at all. Coking occurs when turbos are ran hard then promptly shut off. This leaves hot oil in a super heated turbo (6-800 degrees). The oil is basically cooked inside the turbo, which will lead to failure, blown seals, overheating, etc. Hence the previous post that a Turbo timer will help, because let's face it people are all too lazy to sit in their car in the parking lot waiting for it to cool down. Turbos also need a warm up period to get the oil flowing through them before the turbos get too hot. Drive around the block before getting on the interstate.
Regular maintenance is important too. old oil is not good on any engine, especially TC'd. I don't think ford is opening themselves up to too much liability here.
Old 7/13/07, 09:24 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jarradasay
I've had three TC'd cars, and have never heard of Special Oil. Two of them took good old 10W30 and one spec'd 5W30. Jiffy Lube, etc is perfectly capable of changing the oil in a TC'd car. No special procedure, just drain and refill. The problem is not the oil change or even the oil. the problem is coking or failure to change the oil at all. Coking occurs when turbos are ran hard then promptly shut off. This leaves hot oil in a super heated turbo (6-800 degrees). The oil is basically cooked inside the turbo, which will lead to failure, blown seals, overheating, etc. Hence the previous post that a Turbo timer will help, because let's face it people are all too lazy to sit in their car in the parking lot waiting for it to cool down. Turbos also need a warm up period to get the oil flowing through them before the turbos get too hot. Drive around the block before getting on the interstate.
Regular maintenance is important too. old oil is not good on any engine, especially TC'd. I don't think ford is opening themselves up to too much liability here.
I wasn't flaming Jiffy Lube (although there are tons of nightmare stories about their abilities) I was referring to those who use JL to do their oil changes. I just feel that the folks using JL generally do oil changes on the spur of the moment and with these kinds of vehicles, special attention should be paid. JL is more interested in selling you ever kind of filter element they have in stock etc. than making sure the correct amount of the right type of oil is in your car.

Just my opinion.
Old 7/13/07, 03:20 PM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I take it easy before getting on the highway and letting the engine idle for a few mins. before shutting down, regardless if it is turbo or not. IMO, synthetic oils should be mandatory for FI engines anyway just for that last nth of protection.