Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

TSW Tanaka wheels ... anybody have them / reviews on them?

Search this Thread

Old 6/30/13, 09:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 542 Likes on 422 Posts
Originally Posted by ImminentRueage
I always thought stretching was putting a tire on a rim that was wider than recommended for the tire size in question. 295/30R20 is said by Michelin(Pilot Super Sports in this case) to fit a 10.5 inch rim.

...but i can understand if you don't like a smaller sidewall tire.
Yeah I guess that size is recommended for 10-11"-wide rims, so it should be a pretty good fit.
But if the tire fits nice and square and the wheel is flush with the fender, that means the side of the tire now sits 2-3" above the wheel edge, so hitting a bump the tire could easily make contact with the fender ...
Old 6/30/13, 11:24 PM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You might also want to check out Forgestar wheels
Old 7/1/13, 07:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BaknBlk
You might also want to check out Forgestar wheels

Yeah I said Forgeline, but meant Forgestar...I was under the assumption that they were very similar quality considering they are both rotary forged. It's interesting to get the mixed responses from people that have had TSW's. Makes me wonder if it's just certain models that are prone to cracking.

I definitely want something strong though, because like I said, the roads are fairly rough here and I MAY track the car on a very limited number of occasions. On the other hand though, part of the reason I was thinking of not spending too much is that I didn't want to wreck an expensive rim on these South Dakota roads.

I find it interesting that people consider rotary forged wheels to not be as strong as many of the cast wheels everyone seems to buy from AmericanMuscle.com and the likes. Of course a cast wheel that's twice as thick as it's rotary forged equivalent is almost always going to be stronger.
Old 7/1/13, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Gabe
Yeah I guess that size is recommended for 10-11"-wide rims, so it should be a pretty good fit.
But if the tire fits nice and square and the wheel is flush with the fender, that means the side of the tire now sits 2-3" above the wheel edge, so hitting a bump the tire could easily make contact with the fender ...

I noticed TheDivaDanielle was running the same size tires and had rubbing issues so I would say you are probably right. I want to be able to take a turn as fast as I'd like without having to worry about a tire rubbing.
Old 7/1/13, 07:08 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
I have Forgestars but I can't speak to the strength of the wheel. I haven't tracked the car yet and I've done some spirited driving in very short stints as well as some hard accelerations from stops, so of course the wheels are fine. I like the way they look, and I got them for the strength the wheel offers, in addition to the weight reduction, when I start to put the car on the track and when I start to run some of the events like the Silver State Challenge. Until then all I can offer is that they look great.
Old 7/1/13, 07:35 PM

FYI, Forgestar and TSW's forged line of wheels are made overseas with the same material and manufacturing process. I'm not really sure what I'm going to get at this point. Seems like every wheel you read about has issues unless you spend 2,000 or better...that's assuming you want a 19" or bigger wheel, which I would prefer.
Old 7/2/13, 12:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ImminentRueage
FYI, Forgestar and TSW's forged line of wheels are made overseas with the same material and manufacturing process. I'm not really sure what I'm going to get at this point. Seems like every wheel you read about has issues unless you spend 2,000 or better...that's assuming you want a 19" or bigger wheel, which I would prefer.
I've heard some iffy stuff about Forgestar too, but nothing that I can confirm save for one incident of tapping a curb that put the whole wheel out of round.

I'll be sticking to my big heavy cast wheels for the time being, until I can afford some Forgelines. Bend those and I only need to replace a rim, not a whole wheel, and I can do that myself.
Old 7/2/13, 01:02 PM

It's not that I can't afford a forged wheel, I just can't justify it for a car that will for the most part be a daily driver that see's rough roads and runs winter wheels half the year. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong though.