Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Trying to get back into a Mustang...

Search this Thread

Old 9/7/10, 06:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trying to get back into a Mustang...

Hey guys and girls. So here's a summary of my story. I had a 2006 Mustang GT that was my heart and soul. Last december, my wife and I gave birth to our first child, my daughter Autumn. Come January, my heart was broken when I realized I could not get the carseat comfortably in the car and in the middle like my wife wanted so she could ride in the back with her, and the large travel system stroller we had did not fit in the opening of the stang's trunk. Jumping the gun and licking my chops, I decided to get rid of the stang and get back into one in the next couple years.
After much weighing, I decided on leasing an 09 G37 Sedan Journey as my Autumn-mobile. So far, it has carried its weight, but now I am just CONTENT with it, as it doesn't have the soul that my GT had (it definitely has the heart, this car moves, is agile, and can be very fun in Sport mode). I'm also paying quite a bit for it since I had to eat up some of my Mustang loan in it (accident on Carfax lowered its value considerably), PLUS my insurance is somehow now as much as it was in the GT.

So here's the deal. My wife and I made an agreement, if I can get her out of her 09 Nissan Altima lease and into a Ford Edge, Chevy Traverse, or Nissan Rogue, then I can get back into a new Mustang. So I am DETERMINED! Here are my questions:
  • if I can get a hold of an X-plan pin, does it apply to the 2011 Edge (She fell in love with the commercial)? Do X-plans apply to the 2011 GT also?
  • Is Ford's leasing program decent? My wife only leases, and besides my G37, I only buy.
  • I've been pricing out Mustangs, and Ive seen a couple online that have the fog lamps in the LOWER grill, not in the center, is this only with the California Special package?
  • How is the Navigation in the 2011? I know its tied to Sync, and Sync is probably the most amazing car software out there, but is the Navigation worth it? I do a lot of driving to locations I've never been with my side business, so I use my phone's GPS but having it in the car would be nice, but not crucial.
  • Are there any stripe kits out there aftermarket? Baltimorestreetmods seems to be down and I can't find anyone making any 2010+ stripe kits. I had a custom one made from BSM that was dual 10" from bumper to bumper and loved it.
  • Anyone able to successfully get a carseat in the back and a full size stroller in the trunk? While this won't be critical this time, it'd be nice to take the baby and my wife for a cruise sometime in the GT every once in a while!
Thats all I can think of now. Thanks in advance everyone, and hopefully I'll be back amongst my stang brethren before too long.
Old 9/7/10, 08:04 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
I'm not sure but i think you can use the X-plan pin number on 2 new cars. The V-6 Pony package and the G.T. California Special have the smaller lower bumper foglights. I would think you would get a better deal buying 2 new cars from one dealer.

The trunk is pretty large and i was shocked at all the things i can get in there. I haven't tried a baby stroller (my children are grown, thank God!!!) but i think one should fit.

They are many Threads on the Nav. I have one and love it. Good Luck!!!
Old 9/7/10, 10:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
The strollers get smaller as the kids get older, and then go away entirely. Maybe you could hold out one more year.
Old 9/7/10, 10:45 AM
Cobra R Member

Most of the topics you are asking about have been covered. You should have all your answers in less than 20 minutes by using the search. Good luck!

And ****, you guys go through a lot of cars. You want to get out of two '09 leases and into two new cars? That won't be pretty.

Last edited by Adam; 9/7/10 at 10:46 AM.
Old 9/7/10, 12:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Reminisce
I'm also paying quite a bit for it since I had to eat up some of my Mustang loan in it (accident on Carfax lowered its value considerably), PLUS my insurance is somehow now as much as it was in the GT.
Wait until the Infinity's lease is up, then get a Mustang. Otherwise, you're going to be financing the loss on the Mustang plus your loss on the Infinity into another new loan- thus paying interest on all of those losses.
Old 9/7/10, 01:08 PM

it's almost impossible to get kids in & out of a 2 door coupe. let's be realistic.
navigation sucks for $2400. you can get the top garmin gps for $450. aside from the radio, it integrates with little else. at least nissan integrates it with lots of stuff like showing you the REAL PSI on the TPMS !
the california pkg is horrible. the grille looks pretty I admit till you get hit with LIDAR lasers. the side stripes looks real cheap decals. where's the real paint & workmanship? the rims are nice though....

personally I love the nissan CVTs for daily driving. if you are not careful in a mustang & hold the brake pedal lightly, you'll going right through the garage walls when shifting into drive or reverse!

let's face it. it's 2010 & ford is still cheaping out. the leather seats don't even have leather on the inside edge! the hood doesn't even have lifters & just a dum dum stick. where's all the $$$ going ???

that said I still love the V8, amen
Old 9/8/10, 08:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Adam
And ****, you guys go through a lot of cars. You want to get out of two '09 leases and into two new cars? That won't be pretty.
I don't, I've only owned 4 cars total in my 31 years living. The G37 was my first lease, and will be my last. I will never lease again, while it its diamond for some people, its not for me. I buy my cars and keep them for years. When my wife got the Altima, we didn't know we were going to be having a baby!
Getting out of a lease is not as difficult as a lot of people think. Just takes a little time.
Old 9/8/10, 09:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by stangout
it's almost impossible to get kids in & out of a 2 door coupe. let's be realistic.
navigation sucks for $2400. you can get the top garmin gps for $450. aside from the radio, it integrates with little else. at least nissan integrates it with lots of stuff like showing you the REAL PSI on the TPMS !
the california pkg is horrible. the grille looks pretty I admit till you get hit with LIDAR lasers. the side stripes looks real cheap decals. where's the real paint & workmanship? the rims are nice though....

personally I love the nissan CVTs for daily driving. if you are not careful in a mustang & hold the brake pedal lightly, you'll going right through the garage walls when shifting into drive or reverse!

let's face it. it's 2010 & ford is still cheaping out. the leather seats don't even have leather on the inside edge! the hood doesn't even have lifters & just a dum dum stick. where's all the $$$ going ???

that said I still love the V8, amen

Are you serious guy? Or are you some nissan fan boy. FORD IS CHEAP? REALLY?

So by putting all the money UNDER THE HOOD WHERE IT COUNTS, you call ford "CHEAP" becuase of the "LOOK" of the car?

It's 2010 and we know how bad ford was in the dust against the Camaro and Challenger in 2009.

A year later Ford steps up to the plate bringing back the 5.0 V8 that hands down is better then both the Camaro and Challenger in every aspect. (NOT TO MENTION IS WAY CHEAPER, granted you get the basic package.)

You should take your head out of your back end.
Old 9/8/10, 01:27 PM

2011 stang gt, what are you some kind of UAW kool aid drinker? I did say I luv that V8 already man. You gotta admit, they did cut corners & costs on the leather seats & hood lifters. I luv all cars, not just nissan. when you are commuting in daily traffic you rarely hit 412 horsepower. so what difference does it really make if you have a V8 or a V6 aside from towing? These are the facts. for the same $ you pay, where are the nice things from american cars? automatic folding mirrors, rear sonar, memory seats, telescopic wheel, real PSI #s from the TPMS, where's the freaking sunroof/moonroof on a mustang?

and what about the engineering? good lord the dipstick is right over the bracing. you have to slide the dipstick out sideways man. does it really cost more to have good design or do american car makers really don't care. I support Ford but no one wants to throw his/her hard earned $ away on a non-competitive product.

until we as americans are honest with ourselves, we ain't ever going to make a better product.

Last edited by stangout; 9/8/10 at 01:30 PM.
Old 9/8/10, 01:44 PM
Bullitt Member

2011 stang gt, what are you some kind of UAW kool aid drinker? I did say I luv that V8 already man. You gotta admit, they did cut corners & costs on the leather seats & hood lifters. I luv all cars, not just nissan. when you are commuting in daily traffic you rarely hit 412 horsepower. so what difference does it really make if you have a V8 or a V6 aside from towing? These are the facts. for the same $ you pay, where are the nice things from american cars? automatic folding mirrors, rear sonar, memory seats, telescopic wheel, real PSI #s from the TPMS, where's the freaking sunroof/moonroof on a mustang?

and what about the engineering? good lord the dipstick is right over the bracing. you have to slide the dipstick out sideways man. does it really cost more to have good design or do american car makers really don't care. I support Ford but no one wants to throw his/her hard earned $ away on a non-competitive product.

until we as americans are honest with ourselves, we ain't ever going to make a better product.
Clearly you dont own the car and could not be more wrong about your ideas. What Nissan do you think makes the Mustang look cheap?
Old 9/8/10, 01:51 PM
Bullitt Member

We all don't have to sit bumper to bumper traffic, some people use their stang as a weekend car, some use on a daily driver. Even if you do sit bumper to bumper, out of all the "true muscle cars" the mustang has the HIGHEST fuel economy.

Ford offers PLENTY of options to suit your "Good looking" needs, glass roof, comfort package, electronic package etc. Ford by all means is NOT CUTTING CORNERS, look at all the other cars that make 412 HP and have a retro look such as the mustang, NONE compare to the Mustang's price. If you want to talk about looks and how cheap the interior is, step inside a Camaro.

Your making a big fus over the dipstick, HELLO! THE MUSTANG IS A RETRO, MUSCLE CAR.

Look under the hood of all the RETRO mustangs and what do they have holding up the hood? The sliding stick, that is one of the mustang's features and I hope they will NEVER change it, because its apart of the mustang's tradition.

You wan't folding mirrors, rear sonar, memory seats, telescopic wheel, real PSI #s from the TPMS, seems you should be looking into a european car. That is NOT, and WILL NEVER be apart of the Mustang.

Last edited by 2011_STANG_GT; 9/8/10 at 01:53 PM.
Old 9/8/10, 01:58 PM

falhulk, why do you think I don't have a mustang? Why am I wrong & you correct? I've driven many types of cars & have positive negative things to say about them. Why so sensitive about the mustang? If people don't complain how can it be made better? What is cheap about the quality & design? Where are the hood lifters? Why isn't there leather on the side of the leather seats? Some parts you actually see are small patches of cloth. Why doesn't the TPMS give you PSI #s of all 4 tires? where are the folding mirrors, let alone automatic folding mirrors. These are basic things you are entitled to have with the price of a mustang. we're not talking rocket science here. don't cheap out on the buyer.
Old 9/8/10, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by 2011_STANG_GT
We all don't have to sit bumper to bumper traffic, some people use their stang as a weekend car, some use on a daily driver. Even if you do sit bumper to bumper, out of all the "true muscle cars" the mustang has the HIGHEST fuel economy.

sorry man. we all don't have 3 car garages like you!

Ford offers PLENTY of options to suit your "Good looking" needs, glass roof, comfort package, electronic package etc. Ford by all means is NOT CUTTING CORNERS, look at all the other cars that make 412 HP and have a retro look such as the mustang, NONE compare to the Mustang's price. If you want to talk about looks and how cheap the interior is, step inside a Camaro.

Your making a big fus over the dipstick, HELLO! THE MUSTANG IS A RETRO, MUSCLE CAR.

I change my own oil & it's important. Look at toyota. some models even have the oil filter right under the hood so you don't have to crawl under the car.

Look under the hood of all the RETRO mustangs and what do they have holding up the hood? The sliding stick, that is one of the mustang's features and I hope they will NEVER change it, because its apart of the mustang's tradition.

really is that why there's a zillion vendors at SEMA pushing mustang hood lifter products???

You wan't folding mirrors, rear sonar, memory seats, telescopic wheel, real PSI #s from the TPMS, seems you should be looking into a european car. That is NOT, and WILL NEVER be apart of the Mustang.
it's 2010 man, not the 80s or 90s. mustang must come up to today's standards. when you buy a house do you expect indoor plumbing or an outhouse?

Last edited by stangout; 9/8/10 at 02:24 PM.
Old 9/8/10, 02:21 PM

P.S. the freakin leather seats are not even FULLY motorized dudes!
Old 9/8/10, 02:24 PM
Bullitt Member

it's 2010 man, not the 80s or 90s. mustang must come up to today's standards. when you buy a house do you expect indoor plumbing or an outhouse?
I drive a lot of rental cars as I travel a LOT and its my hobby. I have to say the 2011 mustang premium is on par with the best I have driven. I am not sure what car you think out classes the mustang in the same price range. Give examples of how this car is 80's tech and a specific Nissan is much better.
Old 9/8/10, 02:32 PM
Bullitt Member

falhulk, why do you think I don't have a mustang? Why am I wrong & you correct? I've driven many types of cars & have positive negative things to say about them. Why so sensitive about the mustang? If people don't complain how can it be made better? What is cheap about the quality & design? Where are the hood lifters? Why isn't there leather on the side of the leather seats? Some parts you actually see are small patches of cloth. Why doesn't the TPMS give you PSI #s of all 4 tires? where are the folding mirrors, let alone automatic folding mirrors. These are basic things you are entitled to have with the price of a mustang. we're not talking rocket science here. don't cheap out on the buyer.
Well, a few answers:

1. Hood lifters? Why? The majority of people never ever lift that hood themselves. Personally, I have never needed them. They dont do a better job of hoding the hood then a rod. The question is why do you think they are so important? And why is that a quality issue?

2. Show me a car that does not limit leather to SEATING surfaces thats not a luxury car. Find just one car. I would wager even your couch at home is only leather on the seating surface.

3. I am not sure what seat you are looking at. I dont see any cloth on mine. The seats are actually some of my favorite in any car.

4. What are you talking about? You do understand what this car is??? Its not "cheap" they are called design decisions. The car has a purpose....one that you dont get.

There maybe real quality issues with the car but they aint what you are spouting off about.
Old 9/8/10, 02:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

i gotta say....that is just you. me and my buddies go driving pretty much every night just for fun. I will use all 412 hp on a daily basis once i get the car.
Old 9/8/10, 02:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by falhulk
Well, a few answers:

1. Hood lifters? Why? The majority of people never ever lift that hood themselves. Personally, I have never needed them. They dont do a better job of hoding the hood then a rod. The question is why do you think they are so important? And why is that a quality issue?

2. Show me a car that does not limit leather to SEATING surfaces thats not a luxury car. Find just one car. I would wager even your couch at home is only leather on the seating surface.

3. I am not sure what seat you are looking at. I dont see any cloth on mine. The seats are actually some of my favorite in any car.

4. What are you talking about? You do understand what this car is??? Its not "cheap" they are called design decisions. The car has a purpose....one that you dont get.

There maybe real quality issues with the car but they aint what you are spouting off about.

Nicely said Falhulk, couldn't of said it better myself.
Old 9/8/10, 03:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by falhulk
Hood lifters? Why? The majority of people never ever lift that hood themselves. Personally, I have never needed them. They dont do a better job of hoding the hood then a rod. The question is why do you think they are so important? And why is that a quality issue?
I have had cars with and without prop rods and in all honesty both have pros and cons.

Those hoods with springs in the hinges are a PITA when they get worn, they cause the hood to sometimes get out of alignment with the fenders. And they're heavy.

I've had ones with the gas struts but after a few years you have to replace them when the heat from the engine wrecks the seals. Nothing more cool than using a 2x4 to hold up your hood. Not to mention that half the time if you're doing anything at the side of the car you have to work around it.

Yes, a proprod is cheap, but it never fails. 85% of people really don't care, I don't.
Old 9/8/10, 03:23 PM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Putting my .02 in...

I drove a friend's 2008 Toyota Highlander hybrid around for a week in July and for the cost of his car, he didn't have hood struts. His seat was uncomfortable as all hell and his oil filter(I changed his oil myself) wasn't exactly in the greatest position. The gas mileage wasn't even that great, if i'm honest.

When you buy a Mustang, you don't buy it for luxury, or a soft ride or even for something quiet. You buy a Mustang because you want something with a soul, not a computerized voice telling you how to drive the car. Where's the money going? Its going into that 5.0, or those 30mpg's with the v6. Its going into a sleek body, which even if you pay extra for some red paint, it STILL isn't as ridiculous as paying $3,000 for yellow paint on a 370Z, or paying even more than that for the black cherry on a 40th anniversary edition, which gets you badges and not a whole lot else. The truth of the matter is you CAN get a basic 5.0 for 30k, and if you start adding X plan or other discounts that price goes down. Show me a single 370Z, Camaro SS, Challenger R/T, Lexus IS, BMW 3 series, Mercedes C class...any of them, show me a 30k price tag that'll do what the 5.0 will. Of course, if you want more you pay for more. But make the GT a Premium, add Brembos and you're still riding under 40k(even after tax, title and license) which is pretty much what you're going to pay for a 370Z out the door, depending on what options you want.

So a friend of mine with a larger sticker than 40k has no hood struts on his Highlander. You have to buy an M3 to get the same track times as a 5.0, a Camaro requires modification to be at the 5.0 level..where is all of THAT money going? I'm more than happy to sacrifice a patch of leather to own a Mustang.

Quick Reply: Trying to get back into a Mustang...