Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Is it True ... "Dual-Mass Flywheel" for new 5.0 ??

Search this Thread

Old 2/25/10, 06:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is it True ... "Dual-Mass Flywheel" for new 5.0 ??

One of the captions in the March 2010 5.0 Mustang magazine article stated ...

"The manual applications get a dual-mass flywheel to dampen a driveline rattle and use a higher-torque rated version of the 280mm clutch from the Three-Valve 4.6."

I was hanging out at a couple of Genesis Coupe forums last year as it was being introduced and these cars use this type of flywheel. Very curious as to what was different, I read up a little on it. For this vehicle anyway, the flywheel, clutch & pressure plate are serviced as ONE unit and flywheel can't be re-surfaced. Replacing a Hyundai clutch was over $1000 in just parts !! Also, an LSD differential was like $1200 ... not only was "the import look" of this car turning me off, but the cost of service parts too.

For my sake, I'm hoping they are using a "regular" flywheel/pp/clutch set up on the V6 !!

Doug
Old 2/25/10, 09:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Man I really want to get my 10. I really don't know about EPAS either...
Old 2/25/10, 10:03 PM
eci
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Things like EPAS are introduced first and foremost to control costs and lower warranty issues, not increase performance. We'll see how it turns out.
Old 2/25/10, 10:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Yeah I can see WHY it is being introduced, and they say they have improved steering feel over the 2010, but after that video of the Lexus IS electric steering going crazy, and after driving multiple cars with electric power steering, I am not a believer. We'll see though I guess...
Old 2/26/10, 05:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by eci
Things like EPAS are introduced first and foremost to control costs and lower warranty issues, not increase performance. We'll see how it turns out.
Can you please provide the source that makes you think that EPAS costs less than a standard hydraulic PS system? EVERYTHING I have read states it costs more. I've always read and been told that the main driver for EPAS was to reduce drag on the accessory drive system which in turn increases fuel economy and engine performance.
Old 2/26/10, 06:31 AM
Legacy TMS Member

What does EPAS have to do with my question ??
Old 2/26/10, 10:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by orange3.9stang
One of the captions in the March 2010 5.0 Mustang magazine article stated ...

"The manual applications get a dual-mass flywheel to dampen a driveline rattle and use a higher-torque rated version of the 280mm clutch from the Three-Valve 4.6."

I was hanging out at a couple of Genesis Coupe forums last year as it was being introduced and these cars use this type of flywheel. Very curious as to what was different, I read up a little on it. For this vehicle anyway, the flywheel, clutch & pressure plate are serviced as ONE unit and flywheel can't be re-surfaced. Replacing a Hyundai clutch was over $1000 in just parts !! Also, an LSD differential was like $1200 ... not only was "the import look" of this car turning me off, but the cost of service parts too.

For my sake, I'm hoping they are using a "regular" flywheel/pp/clutch set up on the V6 !!

Doug
Dual Mass Flywheels are heavy though...my 997S has a DMFW and most people who track their 997
s switch out the OEM flywheel back to a single setup and save 12lbs of rotational mass in the process. Yes it makes a little noise during idle but just get a loud exhaust

Dave
Old 2/26/10, 10:17 AM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,755 Likes on 2,039 Posts
Here is the v6 Setup!

Enjoy,

KC
Attached Thumbnails Is it True ... "Dual-Mass Flywheel" for new 5.0 ??-dualmass.jpg  
Old 2/26/10, 11:09 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks Kevin ... looks like we ALL get Dual-Mass then.

Since it being used on a more mass produced vehicle like the Mustang and possibly other Fords (vs. a single Hyundai vehicle) the parts will hopefully be available at reasonable prices from the aftermarket after a few years of production.

Doug
Old 2/26/10, 11:18 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They have had dual mass on powerstrokes for quite a while now, most people replace them with solid flywheels when they go out. On a mostly street oriented car they will hold up fine, racers will trash them with big power and slicks. I'm sure there will be plenty of aftermarket alternatives available to replace them.
Old 2/26/10, 01:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Hey Doug, I mentioned the EPAS because of the changing and "improving" technology that is being forced upon us. Search "possessed Lexus" to see the video of what can happen with electric power steering...
Old 2/26/10, 01:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

No problem Patrick ... just thought it was funniy that in 4 replies, no one mentioned anything about the subject !!

I'll ADD to the non-topic rant ... what I hate more than anything is the stupid TPMS system.

Someone needs to come up with a way to override this so I don't have to get the idiot monitors on my "Snow tire/wheel package" THEN bring it into my Ford dealer to program the car to recognize this 2nd set of sensors !!

Doug
Old 2/26/10, 02:11 PM
Post *****

No problem Patrick ... just thought it was funniy that in 4 replies, no one mentioned anything about the subject !!

I'll ADD to the non-topic rant ... what I hate more than anything is the stupid TPMS system.

Someone needs to come up with a way to override this so I don't have to get the idiot monitors on my "Snow tire/wheel package" THEN bring it into my Ford dealer to program the car to recognize this 2nd set of sensors !!

Doug
My studded snows for my winter car don't have the wheel sensors. I just ignore the idiot light and only get a chime about every 30 miles reminding me. I change them myself so no hassles with Dealer or Tire store.

Ford just lost another huge settlement over Firestone crap, so the lawyers will probably never allow an override to the sensors.

We can thank all the IDIOTS that don't check their pressure regularly - or at least look at and kick all 4 tires...

Sorry... back to topic.
Old 2/26/10, 03:31 PM
Cobra R Member

Doug
BTW you can get a programmer from the parts dept. for abt $18 and program them yourself so don't have to keep going to the dealer. Part# 8C2Z-1A203-A
Old 2/27/10, 07:01 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks Charlie ...
I'd have a hard time ignoring the light on the dash as 90% of my 400 mi. weekly commute is at night.

Drove my brother's 1994 F150 for a few days with it's Air Bag Light "flashing & chiming" constantly, no way will I put with this 6 months a year !!

Thanks Sal ...
So you must re-program the car each time you swap winter for summer ??

Will this Programer work with the revised 2010-2011 Sensors ??

I assumed that you only needed to program the car once to recognize the 2nd set ... I'm certainly NOT going to go to the dealer TWICE a year to have them do it !!

Ok, back on subject.

Doug
Old 2/27/10, 07:33 AM
Cobra R Member

I assume it works on the 10+ but never tried it. There are pdf instructions on here somewhere that show how, it only takes a couple of minutes. One of the dealers on here might know.

Price went up of course from 2 yrs ago now it's $26.95 you can get one at
https://www.silverstatefordparts.com...ord-parts.html

Old 2/27/10, 08:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Just make yourself a PVCTPMSPB (PCV TPMS Pipe Bom# ) , Calibrate the sensors once and be done with it. The light comes on after about 18mi once, hit reset and your are done. NP, if you drive less then 18 miles. Light goes off while you are at work.
Old 2/27/10, 10:35 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by cinque35
I assume it works on the 10+ but never tried it. There are pdf instructions on here somewhere that show how, it only takes a couple of minutes. One of the dealers on here might know.

Price went up of course from 2 yrs ago now it's $26.95 you can get one at
https://www.silverstatefordparts.com...ord-parts.html

What does this do? Reset the tire pressure monitor sensors (TPMS)?
Old 3/1/10, 12:03 PM
Cobra R Member

It's to program a different set of sensors to your car. Second set, snow tires, etc..
Old 7/16/10, 04:30 PM
FR500 Member

Just to clarify, the 2011 GT DOES NOT get the dual mass flywheel as we had thought.

fordparts.com lists the 5.0 flywheel for 240$, the V6 version is almost 1400$!!

Last edited by PTRocks; 7/16/10 at 05:55 PM. Reason: meant to write 'flywheel', but wrote 'clutch' instead.

Quick Reply: Is it True ... "Dual-Mass Flywheel" for new 5.0 ??