Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

To Track Pack, or Not

Search this Thread

Old 3/24/12, 01:28 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Torsion
I'm also considering the Track Pack... but I'm wondering if it'll have different spring rates than the brembo package. Anyone know?
I'm almost positive they are the same. The only advertised difference is track pack adds diff brake pad compounds, different differential (torsen), oil cooler, and boss radiator.
Old 3/24/12, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Sky Hye
Why would you take your stang out in the snow/rain anyway???? Tsk tsk tsk!!

LOL, well when it's your primary car, you don't have much of a choice. I'm planing on getting another set of rims with winter tires to tame it a little in the snow. Now if we ever scrape together enough money for a Shelby in a couple years, it'll never see the rain or snow.

Last edited by tech10002; 3/24/12 at 11:40 AM.
Old 3/24/12, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by TheLeech
Pass. You'd be spending money on something you have no intention of using.
Word.
Old 3/24/12, 11:22 AM

The only advertised difference is track pack adds diff brake pad compounds, different differential (torsen), oil cooler, and boss radiator.
Does the Track Pack really have different pads than the Brembo package?
Old 3/24/12, 12:17 PM
Cobra Member

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...ws?redirect=no

"Mustang GT customers have the option of a new Track package. Available on manual GTs with the 3.73:1 rear axle, it includes an oil cooler, the upgraded radiator from the Boss 302, high-performance brake pads, and the same Torsen rear differential as is available on the Boss. It also includes the contents of the current model's Brembo Brake package that brings 14-inch front rotors, 19-inch wheels, and summer tires. (The Brembo package is available as a standalone option on 2013 GTs as well.)"

Granted, a was apparent in the brembo package, there may be many other smaller changes which are not advertised.

Last edited by Sky Hye; 3/24/12 at 12:21 PM.
Old 3/24/12, 12:53 PM
GT Member

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...ws?redirect=no

"Mustang GT customers have the option of a new Track package. Available on manual GTs with the 3.73:1 rear axle, it includes an oil cooler, the upgraded radiator from the Boss 302, high-performance brake pads, and the same Torsen rear differential as is available on the Boss. It also includes the contents of the current model's Brembo Brake package that brings 14-inch front rotors, 19-inch wheels, and summer tires. (The Brembo package is available as a standalone option on 2013 GTs as well.)"

Granted, a was apparent in the brembo package, there may be many other smaller changes which are not advertised.

Im going to go out on a limb and say I would doubt there are additional items not advertised going on in the track pack. The difference in price between the track pack ($2227) and the Brembo + Rear Diff ($1513 + $353) is only $361 bucks. For that you get a larger radiator and oil cooler as well as the torsen diff. I dont think fiscally they can pack more than that into it.
Old 1/9/13, 09:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't see how in the world the Torsen diff would be worse in the rain/wet than the standard 8.8 traction lock diff.

They put the Torsen rear in the Boss and the 662hp 2013 Shelby. That's reason enough to keep the TP if you're already set on the Brembos. Throw in the Boss 302 radiator and oil cooler and it is a no-brainer. If you're worried about resale and recouping the purchase price before you even buy the car then just find a used TP car and buy it.
Old 1/10/13, 01:33 AM
GT Member

Exactly. In an actual one wheel with zero traction situation, the only thing that isn't going to throw power to that wheel is a locker. The advantage/characteristic of the torsen, as far as slippery conditions are concerned, is that the torsen needs very little resistance on that spinning wheel to start to function. Aside from the car fishtailing more readily on flat roads/at stoplights, I don't see any way that a torsen type diff is inferior to an open or even clutch based LSD (torsen being gear driven is more proactive vs the reactive clutch system)
Old 1/10/13, 07:06 AM
Bullitt Member

For the love of autocross and track days, do it. Now im stuck with a base GT and wishing so bad I would have bought a Brembo (because of car classifications, rules on rims and modifications, etc) im pretty much buying the Brembo package at more twice at what it cost as a factory option, so that I can stock in f stock street tire
Old 1/10/13, 08:32 AM
Bullitt Member

I will only track my car a few times a year but I like driving. If you like driving a well handeling car get the track pack. It is also 1/2" lower and great wheels.
Old 1/10/13, 09:59 AM
Banned

Even if you don't track it at all, at minimum people that like performance cars in the least should opt for the Track pack on a coupe, and the brembo brake package on the vert.

Think about it.

With the Brembo "Brake" Package (they should really rename that) you get all of this:

Front: 14" Brembo® Vented Rotors with Brembo® 4-Piston Calipers (same as 07-12 GT500 and Boss 302)
19 x 9.0-inch dark-stainless premium painted aluminum wheels
255/40R19 Pirelli PZero Summer-Only (Coupe) or P255/40ZR19 Goodyear F1 Supercar (Convertible)
Different Springs (stiffer)
Different Struts/ Shocks (different damping for stiffer springs)
Different Sway Bars (GT500)
Improved Rear Lower Control Arms (GT500)
Unique Electronic Stability Control Tuning
Unique Sport Steering Control Setting
Tire Mobility Kit Replaces Spare Tire

Now you add the Track Pack Goodies:
Torsen Rear Diff with Ford Racing 3.73:1 gears (Boss 302)
Oil Cooler (Boss 302)
5w50 Synthetic Oil (Boss 302)
Higher Cooling Capacity Radiator (Boss 302)
Performance Friction Brake Pads (Boss 302)
Vented front brake dust shields (Boss 302)

I think that many times people overlook just how much change these cars get with the Brembo Brake Package alone, before you add the significant upgrades the TP also adds.
Old 1/10/13, 10:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Diva
I agree with all that you state on the Brembo package except the Improved Lower Control Arms, I just took mine off yesterday and replaced them with the METCO version. I have to say they look Just like the stock Lower controls arms on any GT and they are not improved, IMO.
Not a big deal but I think Ford wimped out on the LCA's.
Old 1/10/13, 10:18 AM
Banned

Well they are the GT500 LCAs.....

That's all. Were yours not?

Last edited by TheDivaDanielle; 1/13/13 at 10:00 AM.
Old 1/10/13, 10:57 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
You guys resurrected a thread from 9 months ago

If I was choosing, I'd probably get the Track Pack too....BUT I would keep in mind that if you're never going to track the car, it could be kind of a waste of money and you're setting yourself up for more expensive routine maintenance throughout the life of the car - 19" tires vs. 18", the brakes/shocks/struts, etc. Hell, finding 5W-50 oil might be kind of a pain too. I'd deal with all that probably, but something to think about if you're just a cruiser, not to mention the harsher ride the Track Pack cars have.
Old 1/10/13, 01:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Wow this is an old thread.

Be real guys; having the option 'track pack' on your window sticker doesn't make your street car a track car, and really a justification like "well I'm never going to take it to a track..." is not the right thinking here.

This option is really an answer to the enthusiast's clamoring over the years to offer more than one rear end option. If you decide to leave the code off the order sheet be ABSOLUTELY certain you will not be adding these parts after your purchase because you will undoubtedly pay MORE than if you just had the car optioned with it from the factory along w/ a factory warranty.

For example, I am kicking myself right now for not springing for the brembo package but at least I'm not spending $2k+ out of pocket on OEM HIDs.
Old 1/10/13, 04:19 PM
V6 Member

What do you do with a 400hp coupe if you're never going to track it? Were I not interested in track days, I'd never have gotten my Boss 302. I can hardly use half its hp on public roads. Driving the car in anger on public streets would find me in the back of a police car in short order.

If you never going to track it, save some money and gas and get a Focus ST. That's a car you enjoy a fair bit of its performance on public roads.

Last edited by Number23; 1/10/13 at 04:21 PM.
Old 1/10/13, 04:26 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Number23
What do you do with a 400hp coupe if you're never going to track it? Were I not interested in track days, I'd never have gotten my Boss 302. I can hardly use half its hp on public roads. Driving the car in anger on public streets would find me in the back of a police car in short order.

If you never going to track it, save some money and gas and get a Focus ST. That's a car you enjoy a fair bit of its performance on public roads.

I have over 600hp, big brakes, built suspension, and don't plan on tracking. If you have to ask why, because I'm an American dammitt!!!
Old 1/10/13, 05:57 PM

Interesting to see this old thread.

When I was shopping I so wanted the track pack just for the 3.73. I ended up with and GT premium with a brembo package and the color I wanted on the lot... Without the 3.73! Little did I know that 4 weeks later my dealer would get a stage one and three green Roush. I might consider. Nonetheless, I am glad I have what I have so I can get a 4.10. I do have a manual, don't plan to track, but would like to. I plan on a tune and intake with not much more. Overall, the track package might be nice, but it depends on what you want to do. Mine is a DD, and like to go 0-60 quick, when allowed.
Old 1/10/13, 09:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by JPMotorSport
Wow this is an old thread.

Be real guys; having the option 'track pack' on your window sticker doesn't make your street car a track car, and really a justification like "well I'm never going to take it to a track..." is not the right thinking here.

This option is really an answer to the enthusiast's clamoring over the years to offer more than one rear end option. If you decide to leave the code off the order sheet be ABSOLUTELY certain you will not be adding these parts after your purchase because you will undoubtedly pay MORE than if you just had the car optioned with it from the factory along w/ a factory warranty.

For example, I am kicking myself right now for not springing for the brembo package but at least I'm not spending $2k+ out of pocket on OEM HIDs.
This option gives you the ability to easily compete competitively with other same classed cars. Roll up to an autocross with a set of AMRs or any other wheels that aren't within 5mm stock offset, or stock rim width and diameter. You'll be instantly matched against cars that are classed street prepared or modified - even if you have just a set of all season tires on.
Old 1/11/13, 06:48 AM
Cobra Member

This thread is so old the OP has probably already pulled the trigger, so the rest of this could be just for the next person considering their options.

Besides the price factor that has already been discussed (it's a great value, esp. spread over payments, so in my mind, negligible) the #1 difference between track pack and base GT/GT Premium is the handling. Drove my wife's '11 GT Premium w/18" wheels for almost 2 years before I got my '13 Boss 302. Her car handles good, mine is great. Also the Boss gets staggered '19s where the TP option has all 4 tires the same size, so there would be a slight difference, but I think you might need to be a pro driver to really discern a difference between them.

As mentioned earlier, you will get a 'harsher ride' from the lower profile tires and modified suspension, but this is the price you pay for better handling performance. If you are looking for a daily driver that will never see a track or autocross, you really don't need the TP. The 19" tires will also cost a few hundred more to replace. Also the TP tires are summer only, so if you live in a cold climate you WILL need to get another set of tires if this is your daily driver that will be driven when the temps are below 40F.

As many others who have ordered the TP, they also get the Recaro seats, as they do their job well, holding you in place when carving corners. I can't imagine trying to track my wife's GT with the leather flat seats. You would be all over the place trying to hang onto the wheel. 'Short city drives and long highway drives' make it sound like you really don't need the TP, just the BBP if you just like the looks of the 19s and don't need 'max performance'.

For all we know the OP decided against a Mustang and bought a Fusion instead.

I was glad that Ford created the Track Pack option, because back in April when I was shopping for my Boss, I found a dealer that had 2 Track Pack Mustangs on the lot when nobody else had any (a red and black). So I took a drive up to check them out, and found out they had an allocation for 1 Boss, that's now in my garage.

Quick Reply: To Track Pack, or Not