2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

To Track Pack, or Not

Search this Thread

Old 3/23/12, 12:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To Track Pack, or Not

Greetings all from a first posting newbie. I checked the archives and haven't seen that anyone has asked this question, so here it goes:

I have a 2013 GT coupe on order. My current build sheet includes the Track Pack, but I will likely never take the car to a track. I was going to order the Brembos anyway, but is the rest of the stuff in the Track Pack value added for a street car that will spend most of its time on short city drives to work during the week, and long highway drives on the weekend?
Old 3/23/12, 01:27 AM

I'd keep the Track Pack. Resale value will be better with it, and if you decide to track the car in the future, it is much cheaper to have the components installed from the factory. It only adds to reliability and longevity. The car will be a more capable vehicle in the end. Good stuff if you ask me! Keep it!!
Old 3/23/12, 05:01 AM

It makes sense to get it if you were going to get 3.73 anyway, because you get the boss differential. I opted not to get it because I thought the 3.73s on my 11 were obsessive. I did order my 13 with 3.55s, I test drove a 3.31 car and it was bogging down in 6th going uphill at around 45mph..

By the way I highly doubt the track pack will add any resale value over the brembos. Most people would never be able to tell the difference.
Old 3/23/12, 05:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by fstxhorn
Greetings all from a first posting newbie. I checked the archives and haven't seen that anyone has asked this question, so here it goes:

I have a 2013 GT coupe on order. My current build sheet includes the Track Pack, but I will likely never take the car to a track. I was going to order the Brembos anyway, but is the rest of the stuff in the Track Pack value added for a street car that will spend most of its time on short city drives to work during the week, and long highway drives on the weekend?
Keep it.
Old 3/23/12, 05:52 AM
GT Member

I looked at the difference in cost between the brembos + diff and the track pack. Then decide if the additional coolers are worth the added expense. I figured I couldnt upgrade it myself for less than the difference and the additional cooling is never a bad thing.
Old 3/23/12, 07:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by lefthandblack
I'd keep the Track Pack. Resale value will be better with it, and if you decide to track the car in the future, it is much cheaper to have the components installed from the factory. It only adds to reliability and longevity. The car will be a more capable vehicle in the end. Good stuff if you ask me! Keep it!!
Id say pass. This above statement couldn't be further from the truth. You will likely never get your money back on resale because most casual mustang buyers wouldn't want or need it. While I do agree that it's cheaper to order from factory, fact is you may never even track it. That's money that can be spent in other places.
Old 3/23/12, 07:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Id say pass too. Just look at me. No VIN or build date yet. Shelbys will probably be delivered before i get any info on my car.
Old 3/23/12, 07:31 AM
V6 Member

Pass. You'd be spending money on something you have no intention of using.
Old 3/23/12, 07:39 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can always get Track Pack stuff later if you want/need it. Save the $ for stuff you cant or is much more difficult, like Premium/Premier interior/Recaros.
Old 3/23/12, 08:27 AM

Leaning Towards Cancelling It

Thanks everyone for all of the good advice. What I am looking for from this car is a fun ride to work, and a nice tourer for the wife and I to enjoy long weekends with. I am not worried about spending a few bucks if it will make the car better for my intended uses, but wasn't sure about the 3.73s anyway - the Track Pack just sounded cool when I was doing up the order sheet and didn't have a lot of information.

I am in Afghanistan and have a tentative delivery date of mid-June, so no rush on the build.

Money saved would either go back in my pocket or be used for the Shaker Pro. Would love the Recaros, but they don't come in red!

Thanks again everyone.
Old 3/23/12, 09:00 AM
GT Member

Get it - it's the Boss on a budget! And that means it's the financially responsible thing to do.

Last edited by G8toGT; 3/23/12 at 09:15 AM.
Old 3/23/12, 10:24 AM
V6 Member

Im in the same boat. I live about 3hours from the nearest road track (although there are a couple drag strips around) so I would probably only be able track the car a few times a year. But I am planning on ordering Brembos and 3:73s for the fun factor and at that point its only 400 bucks more to get the extra goodies. Seems well worth it.
Old 3/23/12, 10:49 AM
Team Mustang Source

The Track Pack is the only way to go with a manual GT.
Old 3/23/12, 11:09 AM

Keep in mind the Torsen diff in the track pack probably won't be as good driving on the street in poor weather conditions. If one wheel has no traction at all, the Torsen won't deliver any power since the power distribution is a ratio from the lower traction wheel to the higher. It would be just as bad as an open diff. On the track, that will probably never happen, but in my inclined driveway with 6 inches of snow, it happens a lot. LOL

I really wanted the coolers and other goodies on the track pack, but I think I'm gonna stick with the 3.73 and Brembos when I order my '13 since I'll probably never track mine.
Old 3/23/12, 11:19 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tech10002
Keep in mind the Torsen diff in the track pack probably won't be as good driving on the street in poor weather conditions. If one wheel has no traction at all, the Torsen won't deliver any power since the power distribution is a ratio from the lower traction wheel to the higher. It would be just as bad as an open diff. On the track, that will probably never happen, but in my inclined driveway with 6 inches of snow, it happens a lot. LOL

I really wanted the coolers and other goodies on the track pack, but I think I'm gonna stick with the 3.73 and Brembos when I order my '13 since I'll probably never track mine.
This I did not know; thanks. Glad I didnt order it then as mine will be a DD in New England and never a track only car.
Old 3/23/12, 11:50 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by tech10002

Why would you take your stang out in the snow/rain anyway???? Tsk tsk tsk!!
Old 3/23/12, 11:52 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Sky Hye

Why would you take your stang out in the snow/rain anyway???? Tsk tsk tsk!!
on this statement
Old 3/23/12, 08:32 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500

on this statement
I'm joking Shelby! I know these cars are meant to be driven. Rain or shine. I'm curious to know how the brembo/track pack weeks do in the rain.
Old 3/23/12, 08:35 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Sky Hye

I'm joking Shelby! I know these cars are meant to be driven. Rain or shine. I'm curious to know how the brembo/track pack weeks do in the rain.
Whew!! LOL
Old 3/23/12, 11:13 PM

I'm also considering the Track Pack... but I'm wondering if it'll have different spring rates than the brembo package. Anyone know?

Quick Reply: To Track Pack, or Not