Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Took my '12 to the strip

Search this Thread

Old 5/8/11, 10:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Took my '12 to the strip

I brought my fully loaded '12 down to MIR yesterday for some testing and tuning. Beyond the fact that my vehicle was the only one there in anything remotely resembling stock condition, and I was the only one that drove my vehicle there and back, I think I did pretty well.

Mods are a Steeda Tri-Ax, Bama 93 octane race tune, and JLT catch can. No CAI, no LCAs, stock Pirelli brembo tires @ 34psi.

The AC was on the whole time, as well as the radio. Traction control was off, but I left stability control on (one tap).

Times are chronologically oriented from right to left (got them backwards on the scanner, sorry!)

Took my '12 to the strip-img004.jpg

I launched at about 3500-4000rpms with slipping of the clutch, which - btw - is a MUCH MUCH MUCH better strategy than revving to 2500 and dumping it (this strategy netted me a 13.5 the last time). Now, MT got a 12.7 out of the car bone stock, and IIRC people are getting 12.4s and 12.5s with a tuner and nothing else... so I'm two tenths of a second behind people that know what the hell they're doing. So this makes me happy, since these were runs 6-9 in this car, and... uh... runs 6-9 of me at a drag strip, ever. Yaay!

It really was pretty funny looking at the folks around me in their bare aluminum roll cage interiors, and then going back to my leather heated seats with the AC cranked, jamming out to AC/DC and staring out the glass roof. Wünderbar!

Last edited by hawkeye18; 5/8/11 at 10:26 AM.
Old 5/8/11, 10:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome times man congrats. Just imagine what some drag radials could net you. Good job.
Old 5/8/11, 10:41 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mystickeith50
Awesome times man congrats. Just imagine what some drag radials could net you. Good job.
+1. Drag radials heated properly would yield 60' times around 1.75, which would drop your 1/4 mile ET's by about 4-5 tenths putting you into the lower 12's. Kudos on getting the '12 to the track!
Old 5/8/11, 10:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

I got some gt500 wheels for the back with some drag radials. Man I can't wait to get to atco or Cecil county raceway soon so I can post some times.
Old 5/8/11, 11:32 AM
GTR Member

Nice job Jason. Those are good times for someone who is just getting used to drag racing.
Old 5/8/11, 12:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Nice times but leave the ac off . The condenser drips on the ground and makes the starting line wet.
Old 5/8/11, 12:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Man you ran against some fast stuff!! It's much harder to launch when you have a full blown open headered drag car in the other lane.
Old 5/8/11, 01:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by going for broke
Nice times but leave the ac off . The condenser drips on the ground and makes the starting line wet.
This is a good point; I will leave it off for future runs. It sure was nice sitting in cool comfort, though!

Also, the first run was insane - it was against... well I'm not sure exactly what it was but it nearly lifted the front left tire... while revving. It had 24" wide slicks.

I was the only car there with tread of any sort on their tires, that's for sure. The last one (where I won!) was against a '60s-era pickup with quite a bit more pick-up than stock, based on its slicks and roll cage. I bet he's pissed that he got beat by a stock mustang.
Old 5/8/11, 02:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Just wondering why the AC was on? The race is very short. Turn it on after the race. I would do everything I could to get the best times every race regardless of your competition...That is just me though...
Old 5/8/11, 02:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Every car that I have test driven the AC warmed up when I went WOT anyway. Is that not normal behavior?

Super duper times, man. Truly impressive for almost stock.
Old 5/8/11, 03:06 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 5/8/11, 03:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by VegasGold
Just wondering why the AC was on? The race is very short. Turn it on after the race. I would do everything I could to get the best times every race regardless of your competition...That is just me though...
Originally Posted by jaybertx
Every car that I have test driven the AC warmed up when I went WOT anyway. Is that not normal behavior?

Super duper times, man. Truly impressive for almost stock.
Yeah, I pretty much just kept forgetting to turn it off. So, my bad on that! But most new cars (and I'm sure the Mustang is no exception) have a WOT cutout switch for the compressor - turns it off when you floor it, so I doubt having the AC on really made any difference. Also, this is why it gets warm when you floor it!

Thanks for the compliments. First time I took it to the strip, the best I could manage was a 13.535 @ 112.00, so I feel pretty good.
Old 5/8/11, 04:31 PM
GT Member

Nice times! It's got to be tricky to launch these 5.0s on stock wheels and tires. I've (still) been too chicken **** to hit the drag strip with mine; my car is stock and I'm a rookie. I've spun 1st gear on metered on-ramps just trying to launch briskly (about 2/3rds throttle) and that kinda scared the crap out of me.

And on that first run against that 8 second beast... that's got to be intimidating! If that were me, I'd probably have been too distracted just gawking at the car next to me, and totally would have missed the lights.
Old 5/8/11, 05:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by druice
Nice times! It's got to be tricky to launch these 5.0s on stock wheels and tires. I've (still) been too chicken **** to hit the drag strip with mine; my car is stock and I'm a rookie. I've spun 1st gear on metered on-ramps just trying to launch briskly (about 2/3rds throttle) and that kinda scared the crap out of me.

And on that first run against that 8 second beast... that's got to be intimidating! If that were me, I'd probably have been too distracted just gawking at the car next to me, and totally would have missed the lights.
It was fairly distracting, yes. The irony of it all? He red-lighted, which means in an actual race, I would've won.
Old 5/8/11, 07:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Nice times. there is more in your 60' trust me..

.1 in 60' is usually .2-3 on the back end...

check the vid in my sig.. the 12.57 was in cold air good track prep, and a 1.94 60' on street tires.. ive done 1.87 on the perellis..

i slip the clutch @ 2300-2500ish
Old 5/8/11, 08:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by pony racer
Nice times. there is more in your 60' trust me..

.1 in 60' is usually .2-3 on the back end...

check the vid in my sig.. the 12.57 was in cold air good track prep, and a 1.94 60' on street tires.. ive done 1.87 on the perellis..

i slip the clutch @ 2300-2500ish
Yeah, I'm pretty sure there's more in the 60' as well; I got no tire spin on the launch on the last three runs, so I could have probably launched a little harder, but I am not at the skill point yet where I can ride right on that edge.

Also, I don't do a full burnout like yours - just a short one to get my rocks off.

(Off the tires, you sick bastard!)
Old 5/15/11, 10:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats! MIR is a really decent track, too. If it was a little cooler, and a perfect launch, I think you would have seen that .2 difference you're looking for in your ET. MPH looks good, though. About 2 over stock. Again, I think you would have picked up 3 or 4 mph and gotten that extra .2 in perfect conditions!

Kudos for diving in! Many people are really hesitant to drive to a track and give it their all. Good work!
Old 5/15/11, 03:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by AMChrisRose
Congrats! MIR is a really decent track, too. If it was a little cooler, and a perfect launch, I think you would have seen that .2 difference you're looking for in your ET. MPH looks good, though. About 2 over stock. Again, I think you would have picked up 3 or 4 mph and gotten that extra .2 in perfect conditions!

Kudos for diving in! Many people are really hesitant to drive to a track and give it their all. Good work!
I really like MIR. I went to Capitol Raceway once, and it was just an awful experience. I'll never go there again.

I really appreciate the compliments - I have almost zero experience at a drag strip - I went twice with my '95 SHO (which was an automatic) and have gone twice in the GT, so I'm actually pretty amazed I ran what I managed to do. Hopefully some day I'll be able to drive this thing to its limit.

Also, your 93 Race tune rocks. I run it 24/7.