Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

TMS Live from the Detroit Auto Show!

Old 1/6/10, 10:28 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Think you'll have to wait 12 months or so to see the Boss. But I'm sure it'll be worth the wait.

In the meantime, a CS/GT appearance package to go with the new 5.0 will keep me going

I'm sure we're overdue seeing something 2011-based from Mr Shelby though. Mustang Monthly recently indicated the GT350 should be seen in January........
Old 1/6/10, 10:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TMSBrad
I have no idea. I had requested a 2010 Mustang GT from the press fleet when they first came out, but never got one. I assume they have everything from base Fusions to GT500s and Raptors for various magazines to test and review.
For all you and this site does to promote the Mustang, they better cough up something better than a base Fusion!

Looking forward to the coverage!
Old 1/6/10, 10:48 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
I hope we get to see the GT/CS on Monday!!! THAT WILL BE AWESOME!!!!
Isn't it going to be another appearance package again? More fake scoops!
Old 1/6/10, 08:04 PM
Cobra Member

Hey Brad, I am sure you will, but I am hoping you try and get as many "as of yet undisclosed specs" as you can -- pricing, V6 weight/driveline/etc.
Old 1/6/10, 10:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Darn, I wanted to go to the public showing but I totally forgot about this and now it's too late to plan a trip.

Eh, I'd probably get kicked out for taking a wiz on the nearest camaro anyway...
Old 1/8/10, 08:55 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No Concepts at show... NYTimes article

“You will notice that Ford will have not one concept vehicle on the floor this year — not one,” said Marisa Bradley, Ford’s manager for the Detroit show. “Instead we are focusing on real vehicles, in real time, that are the real deal.
She added, “That said, this will be our biggest and best Ford stand ever — 45 percent more square footage than ever — with more than 60 cars, and over 20 hands-on exhibits and displays.”

Ford, which withstood Detroit’s cataclysm and didn’t take a government bailout, brought out 14 new or revised models last year. But did that spurt leave the model pipeline nearly empty?
“No, not true at all,” Ms. Bradley said. She pointed to the redesigned Focus compact car that will be revealed at Detroit, as well as a freshened Lincoln MKX crossover. “We will have no shortage of new vehicles and new technologies.”
Old 1/8/10, 09:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah I'll pass on the California "Nothing" Special as well.
Old 1/8/10, 09:28 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by Topnotch
“You will notice that Ford will have not one concept vehicle on the floor this year — not one,” said Marisa Bradley, Ford’s manager for the Detroit show. “Instead we are focusing on real vehicles, in real time, that are the real deal.
She added, “That said, this will be our biggest and best Ford stand ever — 45 percent more square footage than ever — with more than 60 cars, and over 20 hands-on exhibits and displays.”

Ford, which withstood Detroit’s cataclysm and didn’t take a government bailout, brought out 14 new or revised models last year. But did that spurt leave the model pipeline nearly empty?
“No, not true at all,” Ms. Bradley said. She pointed to the redesigned Focus compact car that will be revealed at Detroit, as well as a freshened Lincoln MKX crossover. “We will have no shortage of new vehicles and new technologies.”
I completely understand their thinking there, and see the logic in it. But there's going to be a part of me that's pretty sad during that show without a cool concept to fantasize about.
Old 1/8/10, 09:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Moosetang
I completely understand their thinking there, and see the logic in it. But there's going to be a part of me that's pretty sad during that show without a cool concept to fantasize about.
I think they're trying to say the real production cars will be more than enough for the fantasies of Ford fans.

Have a good trip Brad and thanks for reporting back for those of us who can't get to Detroit next week!
Old 1/8/10, 10:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

I did not know they were rolling out the new Focus this year. Is that slated for production this fall?
Old 1/8/10, 10:08 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by SVTJayC
Yeah I'll pass on the California "Nothing" Special as well.
Well, the CS may offer different front and rear facias that would please those that don't like the current GT versions.

Note - that's not me. I like the current GT, but that doesn't mean to say I'm not interested in seeing it update

As for no concepts? That's fine by me. The only concept I'm interested in is a sneak-peak at the 2014 Mustang.....so I can wait 'til 2013 for that
Old 1/8/10, 10:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

“We will have no shortage of new vehicles and new technologies.”
Maybe instead of bailing out Godawful-Motors and robbing the American tax payers, the government should recognize and reward companies that don't suck.

Make sure lots of pics are taken of BOTH Ford and the 'bailout bunch' so we can visually display Ford's dominance there.

And if you want to, say, key the competition...I'll deny having possibly suggested it...
Old 1/8/10, 11:59 AM
GT Member

From the Media kit

FORD REVEALS BIGGEST, MOST EXPERIENTIAL DISPLAY AT 2010 NORTH AMERICAN INTERNATIONAL AUTO SHOW

• The Ford display at the 2010 North American International Auto Show is more than 54,000 square feet, 48 percent bigger than last year, making it the largest Ford stand ever
  • Additional space will be used to showcase 24 interactive displays, engaging consumers in experiential and educational exercises that demonstrate Ford’s technologies and innovations
  • Ford will conduct live driving demonstrations of its Active Park Assist (APA) technology inside Cobo Center using hybrid vehicles
  • During the show, Ford executives around the world will participate in NAIAS’s first-ever social media press conference, with 12 hours of live Twitter Q&As, Live Stream Interviews, Facebook Wall chats and blogger interviews
  • In 2009, Ford auto shows alone generated a record 125,000 leads, 22,000 test drives and more than 2,000 sales
DETROIT, Mich., Jan. 8, 2010 – Ford Motor Company’s stand at the 2010 North American International Auto Show (NAIAS) promises to be the biggest and most engaging in history, with more than 54,000 square feet of new vehicle displays, 24 all-new interactive displays and a variety of high-tech presentations including live driving demonstrations inside Cobo Center.
The auto shows held throughout the year – beginning with NAIAS in Detroit – are an important way for Ford to communicate with consumers about new Ford, Lincoln and Mercury products and technologies. Last year’s Ford display generated more than 125,000 consumer leads, 22,000 actual test drives and 2,020 vehicle sales to date.
“Allowing consumers to interact with our products in an engaging and experiential way is a very effective way to demonstrate the strength of our products,” said Jim Farley, group vice president of Global Marketing and Canada, Mexico and South America operations. “There’s no better venue than an auto show to demonstrate our advanced technology and products at a critical point in the buying process for many attendees.”
One of the highlights of this year’s Ford show stand – which is 48 percent larger than last year’s – will be live driving demonstrations of Ford’s new Active Park Assist (APA) technology, which helps drivers parallel park a vehicle with the touch of a button and without ever laying a hand on the steering wheel.
“Ford will offer auto show visitors the opportunity to participate in an actual driving experience,” said John Felice, general manager, Ford, Lincoln-Mercury marketing. “Our advanced hybrid technology allows us to demonstrate these vehicles in battery only mode which eliminates all vehicle emissions. This gives us yet another opportunity to provide an experience that is more engaging than a static display."
Also for the first time ever at NAIAS, Ford executives from around the world will host a social media press conference on Jan. 11, which will include 12 hours of continuous live social media activities on Twitter Q&As, Live Stream Interviews, Facebook Wall chats and blogger interviews.
More new vehicles, interactive displays
At NAIAS, Ford Motor Company will display 60 new Ford cars and trucks and 21 new Lincoln and Mercury vehicles. A new powertrain display includes two assembly-line robots from the Cleveland Engine Plant, named Eco and Boost, where the company’s new EcoBoost engines are built.
Ford’s entire new car portfolio will be on display inside the floor’s Blue Oval – everything from the new Ford Fiesta to the company’s flagship sedan, the Ford Taurus.
Visitors to the Fiesta area can take a break and play Foosball on one of the world’s largest Foosball tables, Twitter their reactions to Fiesta, and learn about the 15 class-leading exclusive features that put Fiesta head and shoulders above competitors in the B segment. A Taurus SHO in-car theater will take visitors for a ride through both the tame and wild sides of Taurus SHO.
Taking center stage in the Ford display will be the next-generation Ford Focus, where visitors can learn about the agility and precision of Focus’s driving dynamics by playing the Control Blade Challenge, which is like a Wii game. Touch-screen digital displays explain Focus technologies and allow visitors to integrate their pictures into a virtual world and e-mail it to themselves. There also will be special zones for Ford crossovers and trucks and specially built areas for the Ford Mustang, Taurus, Fiesta, Fusion, Transit Connect and Super Duty.
The latest entry in the Lincoln lineup – the 2011 MKX – will launch at NAIAS, too. Lincoln will present an attention-getting cutaway of the vehicle to demonstrate the class-leading technology, safety and luxury features, including the industry exclusive MyLincoln Touch™.
To demonstrate this advanced feature, a one-of-a-kind 16 x 3-foot interactive table will take visitors on a journey through Lincoln’s thoughtful, purposeful technology; with the new MyLincoln Touch seamlessly integrated into the experience.
“The Ford auto show display is proof that Ford is launching more product than any other manufacturer,” said Farley. “In 2010, Ford globally will deliver five times more new or freshened product than even 2009, bringing to market an unprecedented volume of new products people want – with class-leading fuel economy, quality, safety and technology.”

FORD LAUNCHES UNPRECEDENTED NINE NEW ENGINES, SIX NEW TRANSMISSIONS IN NORTH AMERICA IN 2010

• Ford will introduce nine new or upgraded engines and six new transmissions in North America this year as part of a five-year effort to overhaul its entire global powertrain portfolio, which totals 60 new powertrains
  • Ford’s all-new normally aspirated 2.0-liter direct injection engine will power the 2012 Focus in North America
  • Ford will bring state-of-the-art fuel-saving technology, including twin independent variable cam timing (Ti-VCT), direct injection, six-speed and dual clutch transmissions to its smallest and most affordable cars
  • Ford improved fleet-wide fuel economy and reduced CO2 emissions more than any
    other automaker in the last five years
DETROIT, Jan. 8, 2010 – Ford Motor Company will introduce nine new or upgraded engines and six new transmissions in North America in 2010 as part of a five-year effort to overhaul its entire global powertrain portfolio.
The push began in 2008 and continues through 2013 and includes 60 new or significantly upgraded engines, transmissions and transaxles globally over the five year period.
One of the advanced and fuel-efficient North American powertrains is the 2012 Ford Focus’ all-new normally aspirated 2.0-liter direct fuel injection engine, the first of its kind in a Ford vehicle in North America.
“Ford is delivering on our commitment to lower emissions, improve fuel economy and deliver the highest quality powertrains in the industry,” said Barb Samardzich, Ford vice president, Powertrain Engineering. “We are making this happen with one of the most ambitious powertrain upgrades ever undertaken by Ford. By the end of 2010, nearly all of Ford’s North American engines will have been upgraded or replaced since 2008.”
North American launches
In 2010, Ford will launch new engines and transmissions in Fiesta, Mustang, Super Duty and F-150. These new powertrains are expected to propel each vehicle to best-in-segment in fuel economy.
Fiesta’s Ti-VCT 1.6-liter engine and PowerShift dual clutch transmission will deliver an estimated 40 mpg on the highway, topping both Honda Fit and Toyota Yaris.
Mustang’s new Ti-VCT 305-horsepower, 3.7-liter V-6 delivers the class-leading performance and fuel economy Mustang buyers expect. The 2011 Mustang V-6 with six-speed automatic will deliver at least 30 mpg on the highway. No other V-6 powered sports coupe in the world delivers this level of performance and fuel economy, regardless of price.
Mustang GT gets a new 5.0-liter V-8 that cranks out a 412 total horsepower and 390 ft.-lb. of torque yet delivers at least 25 mpg on the highway – better than any competitor.
Both versions of the Mustang get all new fuel-saving manual and automatic six-speed transmissions.
Spring also marks the arrival of an all-new Ford-designed-and-built Super Duty diesel truck engine. The 6.7-liter Power Stroke® V-8 turbocharged diesel powerhouse is expected to lead the class in fuel economy towing, hauling, horsepower and torque.
With its advanced emissions systems, the new 6.7-liter diesel engine also will run cleaner than the outgoing model. The 2011 Super Duty also gets a new 6.2-liter gasoline engine.
Even as they concentrate on improving powertrain performance, Ford engineers continue to reduce engine and transmission weight. For example, the new Super Duty diesel and transmission together are185 pounds lighter than the outgoing powertrain.
With its novel features such as a “live drive” Power Take Off (PTO) and rugged TorqShift six-speed automatic transmission, Super Duty will remain the most capable workhorse in the segment.
Ford: Driving powertrain innovations into the market
Other new Ford powertrains coming in 2010 include an EcoBoost 3.5-liter V-6 for the F-150. The EcoBoost 3.5-liter twin-turbocharged engine delivers the thrust and performance feel of a V-8, with the fuel efficiency of a V-6. Current EcoBoost-equipped models are delivering up to a 20 percent improvement in fuel economy and a 15 percent reduction in CO2 emissions versus larger-displacement engines.
By 2013, Ford plans to offer EcoBoost engines on 90 percent of its product lineup with annual volume of vehicles with EcoBoost at 1.3 million globally.
Toward the end of the year, a new 2.0-liter Ti-VCT four-cylinder for the next-generation Focus will mark the first introduction of a normally aspirated direct injection engine to the powertrain lineup. The all new engine will launch on the 2012 Focus in North America.
Ford: America’s fuel economy leader
No automaker has posted a larger fleet-wide gain in fuel economy in the past five years. According to the Environmental Protection Agency, Ford’s combined car and truck fuel economy has improved nearly 20 percent since 2004 – almost double the next closest competitor.
Additionally, Ford’s tailpipe CO2 emissions are declining. Ford’s 2009 fleet-wide average is down approximately 9 percent from 2008.
“We are focused on sustainable technology solutions that can be used not for hundreds or thousands of cars, but for millions of cars, because that’s how Ford will truly make a difference,” said Samardzich.
Scheduled for 2010 are:
Engines Transmissions
1.6-liter Fiesta I-4 6-speed automatic FWD
2.0-liter Focus DI I-4 6-speed PowerShift Fiesta
2.0-liter Ecoboost I-4 6-speed PowerShift Focus
3.5-liter F-150 EcoBoost V-6 6-speed manual Mustang
3.7-liter Mustang V-6 6-speed automatic Mustang
5.0-liter Mustang V-8 6-speed automatic TorqShift Super Duty
5.4-liter Shelby GT 500 V-8

6.2-liter Super Duty (gas)

6.7-liter Super Duty Power Stroke

Last edited by T5owner; 1/8/10 at 12:01 PM.
Old 1/8/10, 02:47 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So you'll be able to get a 2.0 EcoBoost in the Focus. Some months ago Ford said that when they make a 2.0 liter EcoBoost it should put out about 230-240 hp. I wonder if that will be an SVT model? "140 mph? Must be some mistake officer, this is clearly an economy car."
Old 1/8/10, 09:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I'm here! 5.0s and Focus aren't on display yet though . I have a couple pics of the backdrop banner with the silver V6 and a Race Red 5.0 with the Brembo Package. On my phone though. Also have a pic of the Fiesta sedan, which looks better in person than in pics. Can't wait for the official reveal of the 5.0 and Focus!!
Old 1/9/10, 11:09 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can you post the pictures please? I'm really wanting to see the race red one!

Originally Posted by laserred38
I'm here! 5.0s and Focus aren't on display yet though . I have a couple pics of the backdrop banner with the silver V6 and a Race Red 5.0 with the Brembo Package. On my phone though. Also have a pic of the Fiesta sedan, which looks better in person than in pics. Can't wait for the official reveal of the 5.0 and Focus!!
Old 1/10/10, 12:18 PM

Wish it wasnt so far away in the cold north somewhere. Brrrr.
Old 1/10/10, 12:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
Well, the CS may offer different front and rear facias that would please those that don't like the current GT versions.

Note - that's not me. I like the current GT, but that doesn't mean to say I'm not interested in seeing it update

As for no concepts? That's fine by me. The only concept I'm interested in is a sneak-peak at the 2014 Mustang.....so I can wait 'til 2013 for that

Nothing wrong with fake scoops... They add at least 5hp!
Old 1/10/10, 12:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Yes, plenty of pics please!
Old 1/10/10, 05:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Here are my few pics of the Ford booth...which is GIGANTIC by the way...
Attached Thumbnails TMS Live from the Detroit Auto Show!-img_0466.jpg   TMS Live from the Detroit Auto Show!-img_0465.jpg   TMS Live from the Detroit Auto Show!-img_0464.jpg   TMS Live from the Detroit Auto Show!-img_0463.jpg   TMS Live from the Detroit Auto Show!-img_0462.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TMS Live from the Detroit Auto Show!